CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#21 2017-09-17 18:11:05 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

southern miss slacker (304)

Re: Let's get ahead of ourselves

you must have me confused with another poster. I do not recall making a prediction.

#22 2017-09-17 19:42:29 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

SoMs Eagle (189)

southern miss slacker wrote:

you must have me confused with another poster. I do not recall making a prediction.

Of course you don't......

#23 2017-09-18 11:16:56 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

Eaglebird Humperdink (142)

admin wrote:

I don't think 9 wins is that far-fetched. In a good year, we play 14 games, most of them against very mediocre competition. 9 wins just ain't what it used to be.

8-5 is the most likely outcome, I think. Hop improves one game compared to his rookie year.

I was in the 7-6 or 8-5 camp at the beginning of the season. But 3 games in, we now know a couple of things we didn't a month ago:

1. We have a QB.

2. As bad as C-USA is, generally speaking...it's even worse this year.  So, our pitiful schedule is even more pitiful than it looks on paper.

I agree about Slacker's "offensive line" comment, but we can clean up the turnovers and penalties. Ito is a beast, and Griggs will continue to improve with experience.

It's 9-3.

#24 2017-09-18 12:33:20 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

admin (289)
Administrator

Eaglebird Humperdink wrote:

I was in the 7-6 or 8-5 camp at the beginning of the season. But 3 games in, we now know a couple of things we didn't a month ago:

1. We have a QB.

2. As bad as C-USA is, generally speaking...it's even worse this year.  So, our pitiful schedule is even more pitiful than it looks on paper.

I agree about Slacker's "offensive line" comment, but we can clean up the turnovers and penalties. Ito is a beast, and Griggs will continue to improve with experience.

It's 9-3.

One has to be pretty pessimistic to even get down to 7 with this schedule. That said, we have every reason to be pessimistic at this point.

Some of the negativity about the OL may just boil down to misunderstanding Dawson's philosophy. College offenses don't seem to rely on traditional pocket-building as much anymore. The OL spreads out more, and, to me at least, all it really does is sort of dance around with the pass rush long enough to get the ball downfield.

It's a big reason NFL tackles are in short supply. There are multiple below average tackles making > $10,000,000 / season. That's a sure sign of scarcity. Those pocket-builder types aren't being groomed in the college ranks so much anymore, and, at the same time, NFL teams haven't embraced the spread OL philosophy.

If you look at a 2017 college team from a Curley Hallman-era filter, you're going to get a distorted picture of how good or bad it is. Nastybunch back at the other site was a perfect example. He wanted Anthony Alford to run a Dan Marino offense. AA and his coaches sucked for a lot of reasons, but their failure to return to a Bower-era offense was not one of them.

#25 2017-09-18 12:34:33 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

Take this scenario to the bank.........

So Miss finishes with 9-10 wins, including a win over a decent AAC team in the Frisco Bowl
Memphis finishes with 10 wins, losing their coach to a P5 conference

Jay Hopson is hired as the new head ball coach at Memphis with a base salary of 1.2 million.

Hopson is positioned well to be in the mix with Satterfield and Blake Anderson for a few of the better G5 program openings that will be coming end of this season. If USM plays close against Tenn, and somehow gets 9 or 10 wins you are kidding yourselves if you don't think he is going to get interviews this offseason. If we end up beating a bad Tennessee team it goes from probable to a guarantee that he is gone with 2 SEC road wins in two seasons. Throw the loyalty card to USM out because money talks and we are not going to compete with a school like Memphis if he is in the mix. He is from north MS, worked for 3 SEC programs as well as Michigan. Andersons buyout at 2 million is tough for a G5 school to pay as well.

And the best part of all, Jeff Bower is seriously considered for replacing Hopson next season.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#26 2017-09-18 12:38:28 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

AndreWhere (1252)

Dawson should be option 1 if we lose Hopson.

Losing a coach to, of all fucking places, Memphis, will cause heads to explode.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#27 2017-09-18 12:51:31 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

We cant afford him since everyone will want him but I would put Mike Yurcich in the 1 spot and Doug Meacham in the #2 spot. Kansas is going to blow up their staff yet again this offseason and I would give Meacham a shot. I wish we hired him when we interviewed him but I think the decision makers were so in love with Nussmeier and passed.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#28 2017-09-18 12:51:31 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

So Miss finishes with 9-10 wins, including a win over a decent AAC team in the Frisco Bowl

Jay Hopson is hired as the new head ball coach at Memphis with a base salary of 1.2 million.

Hopson is positioned well to be in the mix with Satterfield and Blake Anderson for a few of the better G5 program openings that will be coming end of this season. If USM plays close against Tenn, and somehow gets 9 or 10 wins you are kidding yourselves if you don't think he is going to get interviews this offseason. If we end up beating a bad Tennessee team it goes from probable to a guarantee that he is gone with 2 SEC road wins in two seasons. Throw the loyalty card to USM out because money talks and we are not going to compete with a school like Memphis if he is in the mix. He is from north MS, worked for 3 SEC programs as well as Michigan. Andersons buyout at 2 million is tough for a G5 school to pay as well.

And the best part of all, Jeff Bower is seriously considered for replacing Hopson next season.

Ok, I'll poke holes: First 9-10 wins is doable, simply because of the weakness of our schedule. A win over a decent AAC team is a stretch. We're just not at playing at that level yet. But, there is time to improve some, barring significant injuries.

Tennessee doesn't have to throw a pass to beat us.

Memphis won't sniff Jay Hopson. Their program is a whole level up from USM at this point.

Finally, Bower won't be hired. The game (technology, modern recruiting, program marketing, and offense coordinating) had moved 8-10 years ahead of Bower by the time he finally resigned.

#29 2017-09-18 13:01:53 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

Ok, I'll poke holes: First 9-10 wins is doable, simply because of the weakness of our schedule. A win over a decent AAC team is a stretch. We're just not at playing at that level yet. But, there is time to improve some, barring significant injuries.

Memphis won't sniff Jay Hopson. Their program is a whole level up from USM at this point.

Finally, Bower won't be hired. The game (technology, modern recruiting, program marketing, and offense coordinating) had moved 8-10 years ahead of Bower by the time he finally resigned.

Tennessee loses to UGA at home, Bama on the road and Kentucky in Lexington before us I think they fire Jones before our game. They lose to USC as well and I think its a given he is officially done. Tenn is not LSU from last season as far as talent so I would expect us to have a closer game in the second half compared to LSU last year.
You win at USM with no budget, basic facilities and little support you are going to get interviews. The number of coaches that will be replaced this offseason is going to be staggering.

#30 2017-09-18 13:13:48 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

beagle (173)

This would be hilariously awesome. At this point, all I want in Southern Miss athletics is entertainment.

The fans would welcome Bower if he promised to run the spread and start talking tough ("I guarantee you we will beat the shit out of Mississippi State in 2019!"). Same reason people liked Hammond. Former military guy that didn't have any real plans but talked tough and said stuff about honor and integrity. Our fans eat that shit up.

(BTW, Hop ain't from Northern MS)

"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#31 2017-09-18 13:33:19 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

beagle (173)

We cant afford him since everyone will want him but I would put Mike Yurcich in the 1 spot and Doug Meacham in the #2 spot. Kansas is going to blow up their staff yet again this offseason and I would give Meacham a shot. I wish we hired him when we interviewed him but I think the decision makers were so in love with Nussmeier and passed.

McGillis wanted Nuss. Bennett and the mormons wanted Hopson.

"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#32 2017-09-18 14:14:21 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

Black Diamond Reb (418)

So Miss finishes in the Frisco Bowl.

The Superdome isn't in Frisco.

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#33 2017-09-18 14:59:55 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

You win at USM with no budget, basic facilities and little support you are going to get interviews.

0122_BISP_BI%20Jeff%20Bower.jpg

#34 2017-09-18 15:27:38 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

skyvoyager (177)

Tennessee loses to UGA at home, Bama on the road and Kentucky in Lexington before us I think they fire Jones before our game. They lose to USC as well and I think its a given he is officially done. Tenn is not LSU from last season as far as talent so I would expect us to have a closer game in the second half compared to LSU last year.
You win at USM with no budget, basic facilities and little support you are going to get interviews. The number of coaches that will be replaced this offseason is going to be staggering.

Tennessee won't lose to USC.... E12loss is still there.

Everyone has the right to be stupid... It's just that some people abuse the privilege.

#35 2017-09-18 16:06:15 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

Mao Tse-gore (412)

I wouldn't worry about it.

We still suck bigtime.
There's a big difference between optimism and an altered state of reality.
Not another dime, not another mile, not another minute.
MSFlag.gif

#36 2017-09-18 16:11:57 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

TheChosenOne (295)

Far greater odds say Dawson will be gone at end of season. Do not believe Hopson is going anywhere. Apparently he doesn't interview well

#37 2017-09-18 16:27:40 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

AndreWhere (1252)

TheChosenOne wrote:

Far greater odds say Dawson will be gone at end of season. Do not believe Hopson is going anywhere. Apparently he doesn't interview well

You may very well be right about Dawson, and it's a shame.

Hopson is probably just too country for some people.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#38 2017-09-18 16:48:56 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

SoMs Eagle (189)

At the end of the day, that's the reality of it.....

#39 2017-09-18 17:32:01 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

99beers (303)

I know what your sayin'

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Georgia Tech SwagFag can eat zombie feces...loser. #PoundSand

#40 2017-09-19 08:04:32 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

TheHeadEagle (27)

We have potential this year but let's not forget we are Southern Miss.  We could have 22 NFL starters on our team right now and we'd still lose to 2 or 3 teams we shouldn't.  BUT, I think we look pretty good.  We had 3 turnovers vs Kentucky and were still in that game at the end (arguably should have won).   We had over 100 yards in penalties against ULM and it didn't even matter, we crushed em anyway.  That's impressive.   If we could just clean up our act, no turnovers or penalties, we'd have a really solid team.  Our defense is currently ranked #11 in total defense...when is the last time we saw that?  Offense is around #49 I think.....which isn't terrible either.

But again, no matter how good we are or think we are, historically we always lose to teams we shouldn't.    Having said that, I'm more optimistic than I was at the beginning of the season for sure but the next two games...North Texas and USTA.....will tell the tale.   They will both be tough games (I'm embarrassed to say that).   We could easily lose both.

Board footer