CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-20 22:10:56 - Southern Miss "what ifs?"

beagle (173)

Southern Miss "what ifs?"

I'll start off with the obvious one: What if we beat UAB in 2011? Do we still beat Houston? Do we play in the Sugar Bowl vs Michigan? Do we win? Do we still hire Ellis Johnson? Does it affect our realignment fate?

FWIW, I think we would have beaten Michigan in the Sugar Bowl. I know people laugh at the guy that say we would have brought 35k to Dallas, but I think we would have had 30-40k for a Sugar Bowl matchup vs Michigan. So many NOLA alums that root for LSU first but sorta follow USM would have been all over that. Throw in pretty much every diehard and you have about 40k. Think about it. 40k in black and gold watching USM beat a national powerhouse in the greatest city in the world. Would have transformed the university and easily been the greatest moment in the history of Southern Miss and Hattiesburg.

That's TTT there for ya though. Piss away something like that by losing to a 3-9 UAB team in front of 304 people on a Thursday night in the Birmingham ghetto.

Other "what if's?"

- What if Monken stayed for 2-3 more years?
- What if we punch it in at the end of the half vs State in 2015 instead of getting stood up at the 1?
- What if we hired someone competent instead of Giannini?

Last edited by beagle (2017-09-21 01:05:38)

"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#2 2017-09-20 22:21:54 - Southern Miss "what ifs?"

beagle (173)

Re: Southern Miss "what ifs?"

Sorta related to this topic ... it's kinda funny how some terrible shit always happens after we do something good.

2010 UCF football - beat our first ranked opponent in years, then 3 players get shot

2011 Houston football - destroy a top 10 team on the road to win CUSA, only for it come crashing down when we choose Hawaii over Dallas.

2012 Memphis basketball - snap an 18 game losing streak to Tiger High in front of a packed house to pretty much lock up a spot in the Dance. Memphis announces they are leaving CUSA days later.

2012 Kansas State basketball - make our first NCAA Tourney appearance in years, but our band makes national headlines for being racist assholes.

2012 Ellis Johnson firing - the EJ era is finally over, but Tulane and ECU announce that they are joining the AAC hours later

Last edited by beagle (2017-09-20 23:30:03)

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#3 2017-09-21 05:46:56 - Southern Miss "what ifs?"

AndreWhere (1252)

What if we'd fired Bower after the 2001 season, or may the 2004 season? People would have called us crazy, but most of the people we've hired after Bower have been better than Bower.

What if the sales tax referendum had passed? We'd have a 40,000 seat stadium. An indirect consequence might be an upgraded Reed Green. Some of the money Giannini spent on his micro-expansion of M.M. Roberts would have been freed up for RGC.

If either of those things had happened, we'd probably still be stuck in C-USA, but the athletic program would be on much more solid ground.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#4 2017-09-21 07:48:03 - Southern Miss "what ifs?"

USMstang (303)

What if our "leadership" had some vision back in 80-83 and parlayed our successes into the ACC as a conference mate to Florida State?  The current fieldhouse would be behind a 15K seat expansion with more suites!

Still sleeping with a Dixie Darling!

#5 2017-09-21 07:51:31 - Southern Miss "what ifs?"

Eaglebird Humperdink (142)

beagle wrote:

Sorta related to this topic ... it's kinda funny how some terrible shit always happens after we do something good.

2010 UCF football - beat our first ranked opponent in years, then 3 players get shot

2011 Houston football - destroy a top 10 team on the road to win CUSA, only for it come crashing down when we choose Hawaii over Dallas.

2012 Memphis basketball - snap an 18 game losing streak to Tiger High in front of a packed house to pretty much lock up a spot in the Dance. Memphis announces they are leaving CUSA days later.

2012 Kansas State basketball - make our first NCAA Tourney appearance in years, but our band makes national headlines for being racist assholes.

2012 Ellis Johnson firing - the EJ era is finally over, but Tulane and ECU announce that they are joining the AAC hours later

It's like a traffic jam, when you're already late. It's like 10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife. It's like meeting the man of your dreams, and then meeting his lovely wife.
200_s.gif

Last edited by Eaglebird Humperdink (2017-09-21 07:52:35)

#6 2017-09-21 07:56:54 - Southern Miss "what ifs?"

beagle wrote:

FWIW, I think we would have beaten Michigan in the Sugar Bowl. I know people laugh at the guy that say we would have brought 35k to Dallas, but I think we would have had 30-40k for a Sugar Bowl matchup vs Michigan. So many NOLA alums that root for LSU first but sorta follow USM would have been all over that. Throw in pretty much every diehard and you have about 40k. Think about it. 40k in black and gold watching USM beat a national powerhouse in the greatest city in the world.

3259d3bef97477e7234c3c41a812bdd0--robin-williams-movies-robin-williams-quotes.jpg

#7 2017-09-21 08:02:44 - Southern Miss "what ifs?"

southern miss slacker (304)

New Orleans is the greatest city in the world? you don't get out much do you beagle.

#8 2017-09-21 08:23:13 - Southern Miss "what ifs?"

skyvoyager (177)

beagle wrote:

I still don't understand why people are still upset about our team going to Hawaii and no 35K would NOT have gone to Dallas.

There is nothing that will dampen the firing of E12loss.

Everyone has the right to be stupid... It's just that some people abuse the privilege.

#9 2017-09-21 08:26:24 - Southern Miss "what ifs?"

beagle wrote:

FWIW, I think we would have beaten Michigan in the Sugar Bowl. (Since USM always beats ranked teams from the power conferences).

I know people laugh at the guy that say we would have brought 35k to Dallas, (since we can pull in 25k, many of whom are free / comped tickets, to our home games at the Rock

but I think we would have had 30-40k for a Sugar Bowl matchup vs Michigan. (since we normally travel with at least 250-400 fans for big regional away games like Knoxville & Auburn

So many NOLA alums that root for LSU first but sorta follow USM would have been all over that. Yes. I believe we could count on all 17 of those people to attend.

Throw in pretty much every diehard and you have about 40k.
Since diehards, by definition, attend home games...I'd put that number around 12-15k.

Think about it. 40k in black and gold watching USM beat a national powerhouse in the greatest city in the world.
That does sound glorious.

Would have transformed the university and easily been the greatest moment in the history of Southern Miss and Hattiesburg. The proud denizens of Nitchampsburg USA may have something to say about that. 

Other "what if's?"

- What if Monken stayed for 2-3 more years? (We're playing with his Jimmies & Joes right now. 8-5, 9-5, 8-5

- What if we punch it in at the end of the half vs State in 2015 instead of getting stood up at the 1? In that case, we only lose by 2 touchdowns.

- What if we hired someone competent instead of Giannini? USM would be in the AAC now.
And that is actually worth something.

#10 2017-09-21 10:06:39 - Southern Miss "what ifs?"

SoMs Eagle (189)

What if we hadn't gotten rid of General Nat?

#11 2017-09-21 11:19:26 - Southern Miss "what ifs?"

CajunEagle (44)

southern miss slacker wrote:

New Orleans is the greatest city in the world? you don't get out much do you beagle.

According to my Dad.........Nashville is.

#12 2017-09-21 12:03:54 - Southern Miss "what ifs?"

beagle (173)

It or Hattiesburg.

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#13 2017-09-21 17:10:54 - Southern Miss "what ifs?"

AndreWhere (1252)

beagle wrote:

It or Hattiesburg.

Reminds me of something Michael Savage said on the radio a few days ago. He was on a tear about reality TV and how brainless and soul-crushing it is, and I guess he was trying to come up with the shittiest reality show imaginable, and thus did he invent the "Real Housewives of Biloxi." Say what you want about his politics, but some days that dude is so funny I just can't even listen while I'm working, I have to pause him and listen at home LOL.

#14 2017-09-21 21:02:02 - Southern Miss "what ifs?"

USMstang (303)

SoMs Eagle wrote:

What if we hadn't gotten rid of General Nat?

Bennett would have banned him or better yet, not come here

Still sleeping with a Dixie Darling!

#15 2017-09-22 07:57:46 - Southern Miss "what ifs?"

TheHeadEagle (27)

There are so many "what ifs" and "so close" here at Southern Miss over the last 4 decades it's unreal.   

1981 is the year that "could've been."   We had tied Bama early in the season 13-13 and were nationally ranked about to play Nationally ranked Florida State.   Here is the game.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZhxAr1CQzA
We completely dismantled them and were launched into the Top 10 for the first time in school history.   The very next week, Top 10 and undefeated Southern Miss faced a miserable 5-5 Louisville team for the final game of the year.  And guess what we did....yep....TTT.   We managed to get beat 13-10.  How the F... does that happen.  Then we go to the Tangerine Bowl and f'n lose to Missouri 17-19.  WTF.  We still managed to finish in the Top 25.  But dear god.....what could have been.   

Got another year for ya...1990.   Lead by Brett Favre, We opened the season beating Delta State by a meager score of 12-0.  But the very next week we upset #13 Alabama.   Bama finished 7-5 that year.   The very next week we lost to Georgia by 1 point.  After that we lost to Miss. State by 3.   Went on a four game winning streak only to lose to Virginia Tech by 4.  The final game of the regular season we beat #15 Auburn.   We played in the All-American Bowl losing to NC State by 4.  BUT, we had lost our coach (curly hallman) to LSU and Jeff Bower coached that bowl game.   We beat 2 highly ranked SEC teams (we were Alabama state champs, I think they had T-shirts or hats made that said that) finished 8-4 and lost all 4 games that season by a combined total of 12 points.  That is incredible.  Another season that had MASSIVE potential.

#16 2017-09-22 19:42:41 - Southern Miss "what ifs?"

Aquila (9)

TheHeadEagle wrote:

There are so many "what ifs" and "so close" here at Southern Miss over the last 4 decades it's unreal.

Yep...another Southern Miss catch-phrase could be, "Almost! Played 'em close! Put a scare into (enter the name of any P5 conference team here)".

#17 2017-09-23 14:06:12 - Southern Miss "what ifs?"

AndreWhere (1252)

Aquila wrote:
TheHeadEagle wrote:

Yep...another Southern Miss catch-phrase could be, "Almost! Played 'em close! Put a scare into (enter the name of any P5 conference team here)".

"Near Miss University"

Board footer