CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-14 20:21:46 - Ok, I'll be the first to go negative....

Eaglebird Humperdink (142)

Ok, I'll be the first to go negative....

The biggest concern going forward, is our QB situation. I can boil it down to one play:

The interception before halftime. Receiver has his man beat by 2 steps, with no help in sight. Keon is standing in the pocket, no flushed, not under duress. It has to be a touchdown. Keon underthrows the receiver by a good 5 yards, and defensive back has time to stand and camp under it. That throw is not the throw of a Division I starting QB. You have to be able to make that throw to beat most C-USA teams.

Now, if you're Baker Mayfield or DeShaun Watson, and you miss that throw once in a season, I think it goes without saying that you get a pass. But when you are completing around 50% against C-USA, and there is a guy on the bench who can throw the football, I think the coach HAS to make the obvious choice going forward.

Howard is a situational QB at best. Bring him in for a wildcat or a scripted set of plays on the goal line. But he's not a starter in D1.

Liked by:

#2 2017-10-14 20:23:53 - Ok, I'll be the first to go negative....

99beers (303)

Re: Ok, I'll be the first to go negative....

Eaglebird Humperdink wrote:

The biggest concern going forward, is our QB situation. I can boil it down to one play:

The interception before halftime. Receiver has his man beat by 2 steps, with no help in sight. Keon is standing in the pocket, no flushed, not under duress. It has to be a touchdown. Keon underthrows the receiver by a good 5 yards, and defensive back has time to stand and camp under it. That throw is not the throw of a Division I starting QB. You have to be able to make that throw to beat most C-USA teams.

Now, if you're Baker Mayfield or DeShaun Watson, and you miss that throw once in a season, I think it goes without saying that you get a pass. But when you are completing around 50% against C-USA, and there is a guy on the bench who can throw the football, I think the coach HAS to make the obvious choice going forward.

Howard is a situational QB at best. Bring him in for a wildcat or a scripted set of plays on the goal line. But he's not a starter in D1.

He's bowers boy, err hops boy

Last edited by 99beers (2017-10-14 20:24:23)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Georgia Tech SwagFag can eat zombie feces...loser. #PoundSand

Liked by:

#3 2017-10-14 20:25:58 - Ok, I'll be the first to go negative....

99beers wrote:

Hes bowers bor, err hops boy

In that case, he will succeed or fail at USM based on this decision going forward. This UTEP team is the worst that C-USA has to offer. Can't play at tonight's level going forward. I'm willing to grant that Keon was the healthier QB, and came off a decent outing in San Antonio. He earned tonight's start. No more.

Last edited by Eaglebird Humperdink (2017-10-14 20:27:35)

#4 2017-10-14 20:29:41 - Ok, I'll be the first to go negative....

99beers (303)

Neither are d1 qbs

Keon would be great in the swac

Last edited by 99beers (2017-10-14 20:30:29)

#5 2017-10-14 20:37:25 - Ok, I'll be the first to go negative....

CajunEagle (44)

Looks to me like he zeros in on one receiver.........covered or not.  Just slings it,

#6 2017-10-14 21:33:28 - Ok, I'll be the first to go negative....

99beers (303)

Hop will go down in flames playing his boy Keon.   the man loved he showed last week is enough to back that statement.  The team will suffer from his ignorance.  And he is an ignorant swac coach.  Poor choice......

#7 2017-10-14 21:47:26 - Ok, I'll be the first to go negative....

stinkfist (764)

CajunEagle wrote:

Looks to me like he zeros in on one receiver.........covered or not.  Just slings it,

I don't agree with that....the problem is neither he nor KG is not a Nick Mullens, Davis, Favre, Collier....therefore he doesn't get the attempts......

he's in a keep it simple offense.....that's what we are now

sometimes, our fans expect too much.....

our defense just pitched a shutout with 3 turnovers.....

does UTEP suck.....yep.....

do we lose to Tech next week......maybe.....

does UT kick our arse......maybe....

isn't that why we choose to watch the games???

Last edited by stinkfist (2017-10-14 21:48:01)

95368035975122i7o8%5B1%5D.jpg493758851198d75b9e7118c23f42f2ad02c1efee979.gif

#8 2017-10-15 07:42:58 - Ok, I'll be the first to go negative....

AndreWhere (1252)

My impression is that Keon's a talented young man who just happens to turn the ball over a lot.

It's not a fun thing to watch. You want him to complete the puzzle- he's only one piece away. Unfortunately ball security is a pretty big piece of the puzzle, and it's difficult to teach.

I always think of a player from the L.A. Rams named Cleveland Gary when this kind of thing happens. He was a fantastic running back, but, in his only season as featured RB, he fumbled 9 times. Many of those fumbles were at very inopportune times. After that season (1992?), you never really heard anything about Cleveland Gary.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#9 2017-10-15 07:56:26 - Ok, I'll be the first to go negative....

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

As far as what matters (wins and loses) Hop is on par with LFed at this point of their respective USM careers, actually one game ahead. LFed was 3-3 in year two with one win against a P5 team, Virginia, who ended up winning all of 3 games that season. Hop beat a decent P5 UK on the road and sits at 4-2. This season will end at 6 wins plus a bowl game, possibly 7 if we can find a way to beat UAB who is playing good football all things considered with their program.
That said, Hop will be our coach next season and the best we can hope for is for Griggs to get healthy or for Hop to allow Dawson to play Marcelo. Its hard but try to support them regardless. I will make the trip next weekend to Ruston. Should be a close game.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Liked by:

#10 2017-10-15 08:03:54 - Ok, I'll be the first to go negative....

AndreWhere (1252)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

As far as what matters (wins and loses) Hop is on par with LFed at this point of their respective USM careers, actually one game ahead. LFed was 3-3 in year two with one win against a P5 team, Virginia, who ended up winning all of 3 games that season. Hop beat a decent P5 UK on the road and sits at 4-2. This season will end at 6 wins plus a bowl game, possibly 7 if we can find a way to beat UAB who is playing good football all things considered with their program.
That said, Hop will be our coach next season and the best we can hope for is for Griggs to get healthy or for Hop to allow Dawson to play Marcelo. Its hard but try to support them regardless. I will make the trip next weekend to Ruston. Should be a close game.

Well said.

The fact that UAB is winning games just really shows how bad the bottom third of FBS is.

#11 2017-10-15 08:48:49 - Ok, I'll be the first to go negative....

I'll say it again. Go back and watch the interception just before halftime, and tell me if this guy can make the throws to lead the Eagles to a C-USA championship.

#12 2017-10-15 09:19:38 - Ok, I'll be the first to go negative....

AndreWhere (1252)

I'll say it again. Go back and watch the interception just before halftime, and tell me if this guy can make the throws to lead the Eagles to a C-USA championship.

I think I will re-watch that game. Might even post my running commentary in a new thread.

#13 2017-10-15 09:28:23 - Ok, I'll be the first to go negative....

Black Diamond Reb (418)

None of you are going with Datoo and I to the Heisman ceremony.

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

Liked by:

#14 2017-10-15 09:32:48 - Ok, I'll be the first to go negative....

AndreWhere (1252)

Black Diamond Reb wrote:

None of you are going with Datoo and I to the Heisman ceremony.

100% true.

#15 2017-10-15 15:24:41 - Ok, I'll be the first to go negative....

tg300 (439)

Hop is on par with LFed

No

#16 2017-10-15 17:06:00 - Ok, I'll be the first to go negative....

beagle (173)

tg300 wrote:

Hop is on par with LFed

No

The case could be made if you're just looking at wins and losses through their first 1.5 years.

Through 19 games:

Hopson: 11-8 (9-8 vs FBS, 6-5 in CUSA, 1-2 vs P5), 1 NOLA Bowl win
Fedora: 10-9  (9-9 vs FBS, 5-5 in CUSA, 1-3 vs P5), 1 NOLA Bowl win

Fedora's competition was tougher, but he also had the better players, because at that time the program hadn't bottomed out yet (thanks EJ and Giannini).

Last edited by beagle (2017-10-15 17:06:26)

"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#17 2017-10-15 17:13:47 - Ok, I'll be the first to go negative....

tg300 (439)

beagle wrote:
tg300 wrote:

Hop is on par with LFed

No

The case could be made if you're just looking at wins and losses through their first 1.5 years.

Through 19 games:

Fedora's competition was tougher, but he also had the better players, because at that time the program hadn't bottomed out yet (thanks EJ and Giannini).

People were excited about the program because they saw a coaching staff (less Bradford) that was very good.

Not so much now.

#18 2017-10-15 17:17:37 - Ok, I'll be the first to go negative....

AndreWhere (1252)

tg300 wrote:
beagle wrote:

Through 19 games:

People were excited about the program because they saw a coaching staff (less Bradford) that was very good.

Not so much now.

Yeah, it was a completely different atmosphere back then. We were on the way up. The last 5 years have destroyed us in a way that goes far beyond wins and losses. Opening day 2012 was the peak. That stadium felt like a real major college program's stadium at kickoff. Watching that abysmal display last night, I saw a school and a program nothing like what we had when Fedora left.

#19 2017-10-15 17:19:43 - Ok, I'll be the first to go negative....

beagle (173)

tg300 wrote:
beagle wrote:

Through 19 games:

Not so much now.

Oh, I agree. I wasn't a fan of the Hopson hire, but if you look at the Ws and Ls, he is comparable to L-Fed through 1.5 seasons.

The lack of excitement is a problem. I'm not sure if it's more that we aren't an exciting football team or the fact that our conference is a steaming pile of shit.

Last edited by beagle (2017-10-15 17:20:19)

"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#20 2017-10-15 17:23:26 - Ok, I'll be the first to go negative....

TheChosenOne (295)

We are 4-2. How? I haven’t a freaking clue. Last nights game was the equivalent of watching a 4 or 5A high school game.  ‘IF’ UTEP had WR’s who could catch we’d be 3-3

Board footer