CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-16 10:06:41 - Death Spiral

99beers (303)

Death Spiral

So, how far do we have to fall? 

Facts:
Attendance is getting worse and worse every year.
Recruiting is getting harder and harder.
We have lost all TV money that matters. 
Ole Miss and MSU think we are a joke......and they are correct.
Our facilities suck for the most part.......
Baseball is our only decent sport, but it doesn't pay the bills. 
Our basketball program is disgusting, along with the arena they play in.
We have lost our media shine.
Enrollment is down.
Apathy is at it's highest ever. 
We pay our coaches shit pay, and get shit in return.
USM grads are sending their kids to Ole Miss and MSU.  And they are going to games up there with them!
Recruits are choosing LaTech, USA, and UAB over us now.
Our "TV" games are now on facebook and twitter..........rebs and dogs love to point that out. 
Winning in this crap conference is not the answer, nor even winning championships, because they mean nothing.
Hattiesburg does not support USM.
Football games can not compete with hunting, fishing, and NASCAR any more. 
Old loyal fans are not coming to the games anymore, and the young ones are going north. 
We keep hiring idiots with no focus, ambition, or moxey, and run off the ones that do. 
We are a reactive University, instead of a proactive University. 
We have killed the fan experience around the stadium with no large tailgate areas close by.  No, the Payne Center parking and Coliseum ain't close........nor is the gravel areas.......
We now have to hang our heads in shame when our in state sisters bang on us for being crappy, having no money, and playing in shit cusa.  We can't even argue with them anymore.  They are right.  They matter, we don't.
We don't recruit 3 and 4 star kids against State and the Piss, we don't have a chance in landing them.  We now are losing that battle as well to UAB and LaTech. 
We settled and hired a SWAC coach to save money, and because he professed his loyalty to us.  He's a god damn Ole Miss graduate for Christ Sakes.........  Hell, he such buddies with them he would probably go to an Old Piss game on an off week. 
Our athletic administration is lazy, our Eagle Club is lazy, and our students walk around our campus with SEC team logo's.......FACT.
When our pitiful ass marketing decides to try something new, it's always half assed, and never works. 
ISP has failed us.
We still haven't taken advantage of an untapped coast market, because they are now all SEC fans.

I became involved with USM in 1978.  I was damn proud to graduate from USM, boasted our athletic and student enrollments advantages to the bullies and webels, and we could back it up.  Now we get laughed at.  Not the typical put downs we used to get when we were beating there brains in, but that y'all are pitiful kind of laugh.  Snickers....  What can we say now?  Not a fucking thing.  I now have to nod in agreement when they put us down.  Now that a FACTUAL DAMN SHAME!  And yes I am guilty of not buying season tickets anymore (I quit after Lfed left), but I don't have a reason to drive down from Madison anymore either.  So what do I do with my Saturdays?  Well this coming weekend I'm going speck and red fishing with my Ole Miss Buddies down in south Louisiana.  And at the camp, we will  be watching Ole Miss on TV, and other SEC games.  And I will just nod........

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Georgia Tech SwagFag can eat zombie feces...loser. #PoundSand

Liked by:

#2 2017-10-16 10:21:55 - Death Spiral

Mao Tse-gore (412)

Re: Death Spiral

So, you're "all in"?

We still suck bigtime.
There's a big difference between optimism and an altered state of reality.
Not another dime, not another mile, not another minute.
MSFlag.gif

#3 2017-10-16 10:24:44 - Death Spiral

admin (289)
Administrator

Biggest mistake was thinking CUSA was anything more than a stepping stone. Giannini shoved that CUSA shit down everyone's throat. "Now that rich old Louisville is gone, maybe the conference will be more stable." Asshole.

#4 2017-10-16 11:01:40 - Death Spiral

southern miss slacker (304)

"we'll be fine"

#5 2017-10-16 16:18:09 - Death Spiral

keyboard kowboy (72)

I think Ole Miss and State are a joke . And I am correct . They are the laughingstock of the S.E.C. I refuse to feel inferior to schools which have not won a championship in 50 YEARS  !!!!!!!!!!

#6 2017-10-16 16:22:53 - Death Spiral

AndreWhere (1252)

keyboard kowboy wrote:

I think Ole Miss and State are a joke . And I am correct . They are the laughingstock of the S.E.C. I refuse to feel inferior to schools which have not won a championship in 50 YEARS  !!!!!!!!!!

Ole Miss is a country club and State's Wednesday night church. I just think our athletic program sucks right now.

On balance we should probably prefer right now to the era when the football team was good, but the faculty were revolting and the administration were fudging enrollment numbers. The "joke" claim would have applied pretty well back then, but winning football games goes a long way in Mississippi.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#7 2017-10-16 16:57:20 - Death Spiral

Mlytc (24)

99beers wrote:

So, how far do we have to fall? 

Facts:
Attendance is getting worse and worse every year.
Recruiting is getting harder and harder.
We have lost all TV money that matters. 
Ole Miss and MSU think we are a joke......and they are correct.
Our facilities suck for the most part.......
Baseball is our only decent sport, but it doesn't pay the bills. 
Our basketball program is disgusting, along with the arena they play in.
We have lost our media shine.
Enrollment is down.
Apathy is at it's highest ever. 
We pay our coaches shit pay, and get shit in return.
USM grads are sending their kids to Ole Miss and MSU.  And they are going to games up there with them!
Recruits are choosing LaTech, USA, and UAB over us now.
Our "TV" games are now on facebook and twitter..........rebs and dogs love to point that out. 
Winning in this crap conference is not the answer, nor even winning championships, because they mean nothing.
Hattiesburg does not support USM.
Football games can not compete with hunting, fishing, and NASCAR any more. 
Old loyal fans are not coming to the games anymore, and the young ones are going north. 
We keep hiring idiots with no focus, ambition, or moxey, and run off the ones that do. 
We are a reactive University, instead of a proactive University. 
We have killed the fan experience around the stadium with no large tailgate areas close by.  No, the Payne Center parking and Coliseum ain't close........nor is the gravel areas.......
We now have to hang our heads in shame when our in state sisters bang on us for being crappy, having no money, and playing in shit cusa.  We can't even argue with them anymore.  They are right.  They matter, we don't.
We don't recruit 3 and 4 star kids against State and the Piss, we don't have a chance in landing them.  We now are losing that battle as well to UAB and LaTech. 
We settled and hired a SWAC coach to save money, and because he professed his loyalty to us.  He's a god damn Ole Miss graduate for Christ Sakes.........  Hell, he such buddies with them he would probably go to an Old Piss game on an off week. 
Our athletic administration is lazy, our Eagle Club is lazy, and our students walk around our campus with SEC team logo's.......FACT.
When our pitiful ass marketing decides to try something new, it's always half assed, and never works. 
ISP has failed us.
We still haven't taken advantage of an untapped coast market, because they are now all SEC fans.

I became involved with USM in 1978.  I was damn proud to graduate from USM, boasted our athletic and student enrollments advantages to the bullies and webels, and we could back it up.  Now we get laughed at.  Not the typical put downs we used to get when we were beating there brains in, but that y'all are pitiful kind of laugh.  Snickers....  What can we say now?  Not a fucking thing.  I now have to nod in agreement when they put us down.  Now that a FACTUAL DAMN SHAME!  And yes I am guilty of not buying season tickets anymore (I quit after Lfed left), but I don't have a reason to drive down from Madison anymore either.  So what do I do with my Saturdays?  Well this coming weekend I'm going speck and red fishing with my Ole Miss Buddies down in south Louisiana.  And at the camp, we will  be watching Ole Miss on TV, and other SEC games.  And I will just nod........

Can't argue with a single point.  My wife is an Ole Miss grad and  we spent the weekend in Oxford with her old roommates and their families.  The gameday experience is top notch and Oxford actually gives a $#!+ that the home team is playing. I still get my 6 season tickets here and we go to every game( except when the yearly reunion falls on a home weekend) but we don't go early and tailgate anymore and rarely make Eagle Walk.  My daughter says she is going to Ole Miss and I won't discourage her.  It is what it is.

Last edited by Mlytc (2017-10-16 17:00:11)

#8 2017-10-16 17:31:08 - Death Spiral

It amazing how many fans we have lost since Fedora left. some estimates put it at over 10,000. that is significant. and you only need look at the attendance to see it. The kentucky game should have been a wakeup call for the administration to do something or at least say something to that fact, but they don't care either. It's a shame what has happened.

#9 2017-10-16 17:31:30 - Death Spiral

99beers (303)

There ya go.  Truth is out there folks, just look for it. (At mlytc)

Last edited by 99beers (2017-10-16 17:32:40)

#10 2017-10-16 17:53:05 - Death Spiral

beagle (173)

southern miss slacker wrote:

It amazing how many fans we have lost since Fedora left. some estimates put it at over 10,000. that is significant. and you only need look at the attendance to see it. The kentucky game should have been a wakeup call for the administration to do something or at least say something to that fact, but they don't care either. It's a shame what has happened.

All you have to do is compare Saturday's atmosphere to homecoming in 2010 or 2011. 2010 homecoming vs ECU was electric. We lost in typical USM fashion (blew a 20 point lead) but MMRS was rocking that night. Very loud on 3rd downs and big plays. Same goes for SMU in 2011.

I think conference realignment hurt our fanbase than EJ did.

Last edited by beagle (2017-10-16 17:57:16)

"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#11 2017-10-16 17:54:10 - Death Spiral

beagle (173)

You can't really compare us to Ole Miss or State anymore. Those schools are so much farther ahead of us it isn't funny. But I get where you are coming from, Beers. When your dad was here, we were kicking their asses on a regular basis.

Last edited by beagle (2017-10-16 17:54:27)

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#12 2017-10-16 18:17:56 - Death Spiral

Black Diamond Reb (418)

The kentucky game should have been a wakeup call for the administration to do something.

I'm sure it did .. As in updating their resume'.

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#13 2017-10-16 18:44:28 - Death Spiral

admin (289)
Administrator

Black Diamond Reb wrote:

The kentucky game should have been a wakeup call for the administration to do something.

I'm sure it did .. As in updating their resume'.

Here's an idea: every full-time employee in the athletic department or USM foundation has to have a buyout clause of at least $25,000. The minimum amount should be $50,000 for salaried employees, and $100,000 for coaches.

#14 2017-10-16 21:28:37 - Death Spiral

USMstang (303)

beagle wrote:

All you have to do is compare Saturday's atmosphere to homecoming in 2010 or 2011. 2010 homecoming vs ECU was electric. We lost in typical USM fashion (blew a 20 point lead) but MMRS was rocking that night. Very loud on 3rd downs and big plays. Same goes for SMU in 2011.

Beagle, you've mentioned this game on more than one occasion.  Do you recall the one player on ECU who sparked the turnaround?  I'll help you with that.  His name is Bradley Jacobs, DB.  He was a star at Long Beach and then on to MGCCC before landing at ECU.  He was ignored by USM and trust me, I did my best to make Bower's staff aware of him but I was ignored too.  Anyway, a few years later, with many of his friends/family present, he came alive in the second half and laid some wood...ended up ejected for a huge hit in the 4th but the momentum had already shifted.  Among a handful of good Coast ballplayers I had the pleasure of filming during my 15 year tenure of scouting film duties was Jacobs.  I even liked him more than his older brother Brandon that lettered at OP as a FB.

Still sleeping with a Dixie Darling!

#15 2017-10-16 23:14:45 - Death Spiral

beagle (173)

USMstang wrote:
beagle wrote:

Beagle, you've mentioned this game on more than one occasion.  Do you recall the one player on ECU who sparked the turnaround?  I'll help you with that.  His name is Bradley Jacobs, DB.  He was a star at Long Beach and then on to MGCCC before landing at ECU.  He was ignored by USM and trust me, I did my best to make Bower's staff aware of him but I was ignored too.  Anyway, a few years later, with many of his friends/family present, he came alive in the second half and laid some wood...ended up ejected for a huge hit in the 4th but the momentum had already shifted.  Among a handful of good Coast ballplayers I had the pleasure of filming during my 15 year tenure of scouting film duties was Jacobs.  I even liked him more than his older brother Brandon that lettered at OP as a FB.

https://youtu.be/ElUkDryU4hQ

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#16 2017-10-17 01:30:02 - Death Spiral

beagle wrote:
USMstang wrote:
beagle wrote:

https://youtu.be/ElUkDryU4hQ

Holy crap. ecu murdered like 5 of our guys on that play. I don't remember that game,  probably blocked it out of my mind.

#17 2017-10-17 07:36:50 - Death Spiral

ReignInHell (6)

you nailed it Beers..well said..I have been and advocate for independence as a last ditch effort, but I am fully aware that it might not work ...Perhaps I should welcome death for it will end this misery.

#18 2017-10-17 09:21:04 - Death Spiral

I overheard a guy the other day say. "southern miss is the Motel 6 of Universities."  here was the transition of my facial expression when he said that.  lol  smile  neutral  sad  mad

#19 2017-10-17 17:12:26 - Death Spiral

99beers (303)

ReignInHell wrote:

you nailed it Beers..well said..I have been and advocate for independence as a last ditch effort, but I am fully aware that it might not work ...Perhaps I should welcome death for it will end this misery.

I would rather go down fighting and in flames than to just sit around and wait for what happens.

#20 2017-10-18 08:20:53 - Death Spiral

TheHeadEagle (27)

I think the new conference affiliation hurt us more than EJ did too though it all happened at the same time.  0-12 certainly didn't help matters, probably accelerated it 100 mph.   I don't blame fundraisers, concession stand crap, Eagle Club, etc etc etc.   You HAVE to have a good product you can actually sell in order to build a company.  Right now we don't have a quality product....simply put.    Even the most die hard fans right now are finding it hard to dole out Eagle Club memberships or season tickets to go watch us play teams like Charlotte and North Texas.......and LOSE to those teams.   Can't blame anyone, we just have a terrible product right now.  Need to revamp the product and repackage it in a better conference.  Until that happens, you will see attendance level off into the 18,000-20,000 range.    According the CUSA website, looks like CUSA in general is averaging about 20,000 fans per game.  I suspect that's where we'll be from here on out.   Unless we get into a better conference (only options are Mountain West and AAC) then this is what we'll be relegated to.   Sad fact.

Board footer