College Sports Unfiltered

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

Message user "admin" if you want a board created

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-30 14:04:01

beagle
Member
From: Cloverleaf Mall parking lot
Registered: 2017-08-25
Posts: 314

WHY IS KENTUCKY PLAYING IN HATTIESBURG?!?!?!11111

These people disgust me. Though this guy does like us in the game.

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/outk … -one-2017/

Last year Southern Miss went into Commonwealth Stadium and won. This year Kentucky, for some reason, is traveling to Hattiesburg. (Seriously, if you’re Kentucky you have to invest in your team and not play home and homes like this.)

The last time Southern Miss had a non-Mississippi SEC school come to play them at home was 1973. (I just made this stat up, but it seems accurate).

That means the place will be insanely wild come kickoff. Give me the double digit home underdog here who beat Kentucky last year on the road.

Last edited by beagle (2017-08-30 14:08:17)


"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

Offline

#2 2017-08-30 14:28:19

Nugget's Ghostbuster
Member
From: U.S. Department of Interior
Registered: 2017-08-25
Posts: 179

Re: WHY IS KENTUCKY PLAYING IN HATTIESBURG?!?!?!11111

I do not believe we ever had a non Mississippi SEC/Tulane SEC school play in Hattiesburg. We had UGA play USM in Jackson and almost had them signed to come to The Rock for a home and home 15 years ago(due to a similar situation that is bringing UK). Texas AM was not in the SEC when they came to Hattiesburg. No Bama, Auburn, Tenn, etc...... Kind of surprising that this is only the 4th SEC team in the history of that conference to play at The Rock......


"When Nugget II was found dead that cold December morning, Southern Miss had a serious problem on its hands. The handler who starved Nugget II is presumably still out there, his freedom bought for $2,000 from alumni coffers."

Offline

#3 2017-08-30 14:32:08

beagle
Member
From: Cloverleaf Mall parking lot
Registered: 2017-08-25
Posts: 314

Re: WHY IS KENTUCKY PLAYING IN HATTIESBURG?!?!?!11111

Yeah, I mean it's rare for an SEC team to play at MMRS, but I don't get why the national media thinks this is so weird. First, UK was in a tough spot with UAB shutting down football. Apparently, it was just us and Central Michigan that were available for this weekend. And second, we've hosted many P5 teams before. UVA, Kansas, Louisville, and State just in the past deacde.


"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

Offline

#4 2017-08-30 14:46:38

Nugget's Ghostbuster
Member
From: U.S. Department of Interior
Registered: 2017-08-25
Posts: 179

Re: WHY IS KENTUCKY PLAYING IN HATTIESBURG?!?!?!11111

beagle wrote:

Yeah, I mean it's rare for an SEC team to play at MMRS, but I don't get why the national media thinks this is so weird. First, UK was in a tough spot with UAB shutting down football. Apparently, it was just us and Central Michigan that were available for this weekend. And second, we've hosted many P5 teams before. UVA, Kansas, Louisville, and State just in the past deacde.

Just saw where USM was paid $200K for the game last season in Lexington. UK doesn't get paid for Saturdays game in Hattiesburg. When we scheduled our series with UK in March 2015 they also scheduled a 3 game series with Eastern Michigan. EMI gets paid $1.2 million to play in Lexington this season and $200K for a return game in 2020. EMI hosts UK in 2019 and will pay UK $200K.
Eastern Michigan negotiated a much better agreement. I would have signed a 2 for 1 with Kentucky with a net take home of $1.2 million vs $200K.


"When Nugget II was found dead that cold December morning, Southern Miss had a serious problem on its hands. The handler who starved Nugget II is presumably still out there, his freedom bought for $2,000 from alumni coffers."

Offline

#5 2017-08-30 14:52:32

AndreWhere
Member
From: Dunwoody, GA
Registered: 2017-08-24
Posts: 404
Website

Re: WHY IS KENTUCKY PLAYING IN HATTIESBURG?!?!?!11111

Ugh, that was painfully idiotic. How does he expect Kentucky to schedule its non-conference games? Should UK just show, say,  Ohio State or Notre Dame that coveted SEC membership card and demand a home-and-home? Those teams don't give a flip about going to Lexington. They're busy either playing cakewalk home games or high-profile out-of-conference teams (think Alabama vs. FSU).

Other bottom-tier P5 teams don't want to play them, either. Those teams are trying to get to 6 wins, they don't want to cannibalize each other, particularly when the other team is an SEC team, with all the advantages that confers (even at the bottom of the league). And I don't see us ever giving them a non-reciprocal home game. If we're going to play an SEC team on the road, with no return game, it's generally going to be one of the good ones.

As for that shit about our fans being fired up, I just don't see that, at all. We're not expecting to win, and it's only Kentucky. Just since 2000, we've had Illinois, OK State, NC State, Louisville, Boise State, Nebraska, etc. at home and those teams are head and shoulders above Kentucky.

This guy is a moron.

Last edited by AndreWhere (2017-08-30 14:54:27)

Offline

#6 2017-08-30 14:56:25

AndreWhere
Member
From: Dunwoody, GA
Registered: 2017-08-24
Posts: 404
Website

Re: WHY IS KENTUCKY PLAYING IN HATTIESBURG?!?!?!11111

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:
beagle wrote:

Yeah, I mean it's rare for an SEC team to play at MMRS, but I don't get why the national media thinks this is so weird. First, UK was in a tough spot with UAB shutting down football. Apparently, it was just us and Central Michigan that were available for this weekend. And second, we've hosted many P5 teams before. UVA, Kansas, Louisville, and State just in the past deacde.

Just saw where USM was paid $200K for the game last season in Lexington. UK doesn't get paid for Saturdays game in Hattiesburg. When we scheduled our series with UK in March 2015 they also scheduled a 3 game series with Eastern Michigan. EMI gets paid $1.2 million to play in Lexington this season and $200K for a return game in 2020. EMI hosts UK in 2019 and will pay UK $200K.
Eastern Michigan negotiated a much better agreement. I would have signed a 2 for 1 with Kentucky with a net take home of $1.2 million vs $200K.

Well, it sounds like our AD wanted to say "we got a home-and-home with Kentucky" and he paid for it. I like home-and-homes, but at this point, I think I like money more.

Offline

#7 2017-08-30 15:07:46

TheChosenOne
Member
Registered: 2017-08-26
Posts: 75

Re: WHY IS KENTUCKY PLAYING IN HATTIESBURG?!?!?!11111

Cantucky gonna our bitch come Saturday. 2-0

Offline

#8 2017-08-30 15:18:19

beagle
Member
From: Cloverleaf Mall parking lot
Registered: 2017-08-25
Posts: 314

Re: WHY IS KENTUCKY PLAYING IN HATTIESBURG?!?!?!11111

Bama actually played AT La-La in 1990. Makes you wonder why they couldn't give us 1 game in Hattiesburg back in the day.. #41For1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knDTqpA … e=youtu.be

Last edited by beagle (2017-08-30 15:20:36)


"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

Offline

#9 2017-08-30 15:26:13

SoMs Eagle
Member
Registered: 2017-08-29
Posts: 97

Re: WHY IS KENTUCKY PLAYING IN HATTIESBURG?!?!?!11111

Are we sure it was $200,000. I believe I remember it was $1,000,000 with no pay out for the return. I remember thinking that was a good deal at the time. If this is true seems it would have been a big blow out on the old EP.

Offline

#10 2017-08-30 15:32:40

Nugget's Ghostbuster
Member
From: U.S. Department of Interior
Registered: 2017-08-25
Posts: 179

Re: WHY IS KENTUCKY PLAYING IN HATTIESBURG?!?!?!11111

SoMs Eagle wrote:

Are we sure it was $200,000. I believe I remember it was $1,000,000 with no pay out for the return. I remember thinking that was a good deal at the time. If this is true seems it would have been a big blow out on the old EP.

Per USA Today....

"UK and Southern Miss signed a contract for the series in March 2015, just more than three months after UAB announced it was shutting down its football program, forcing Kentucky to find a new opener for the 2016 season. Kentucky paid $200,000 to Southern Miss to play in Lexington in 2016, according to the contract obtained through an open records request by the Courier-Journal. Neither team will be paid for the 2017 game."

http://sports.usatoday.com/2017/08/30/k … ssissippi/


"When Nugget II was found dead that cold December morning, Southern Miss had a serious problem on its hands. The handler who starved Nugget II is presumably still out there, his freedom bought for $2,000 from alumni coffers."

Offline

#11 2017-08-30 15:38:38

SoMs Eagle
Member
Registered: 2017-08-29
Posts: 97

Re: WHY IS KENTUCKY PLAYING IN HATTIESBURG?!?!?!11111

Well I guess since 'neither' team will be paid for the 2017 game that is a pretty crappy deal.

Offline

#12 2017-08-30 15:54:59

AndreWhere
Member
From: Dunwoody, GA
Registered: 2017-08-24
Posts: 404
Website

Re: WHY IS KENTUCKY PLAYING IN HATTIESBURG?!?!?!11111

SoMs Eagle wrote:

Well I guess since 'neither' team will be paid for the 2017 game that is a pretty crappy deal.

Well, if admission *and* concessions are really free, you can bet on a crowd of 40,000+.

Offline

#13 2017-08-30 17:09:01

SoMs Eagle
Member
Registered: 2017-08-29
Posts: 97

Re: WHY IS KENTUCKY PLAYING IN HATTIESBURG?!?!?!11111

AndreWhere wrote:
SoMs Eagle wrote:

Well I guess since 'neither' team will be paid for the 2017 game that is a pretty crappy deal.

Well, if admission *and* concessions are really free, you can bet on a crowd of 40,000+.

You sure about  that?

Offline

#14 2017-08-30 17:16:31

AndreWhere
Member
From: Dunwoody, GA
Registered: 2017-08-24
Posts: 404
Website

Re: WHY IS KENTUCKY PLAYING IN HATTIESBURG?!?!?!11111

SoMs Eagle wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:
SoMs Eagle wrote:

Well I guess since 'neither' team will be paid for the 2017 game that is a pretty crappy deal.

Well, if admission *and* concessions are really free, you can bet on a crowd of 40,000+.

You sure about  that?

I refuse to be certain about anything, but if you accept that our baseline attendance for season openers is 20,000 people, I feel that there are an equal number of Hattiesburg people willing to show up for free Armour hot dogs. They won't cheer for us or even watch the game, though.

Offline

#15 2017-08-31 10:05:36

TheHeadEagle
Member
Registered: 2017-08-29
Posts: 34

Re: WHY IS KENTUCKY PLAYING IN HATTIESBURG?!?!?!11111

beagle wrote:

Bama actually played AT La-La in 1990. Makes you wonder why they couldn't give us 1 game in Hattiesburg back in the day.. #41For1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knDTqpA … e=youtu.be

This is the very reason I advocated years ago to quit playing Bama.  I was tired as shit going up there every single year, watch the refs screw us and lose virtually every time.  I think we beat Bama twice in 20 years.  Uh, no thanks.  I would rather play a lower tier Big Conference opponent home and home (like Kentucky) than get screwed in Tuscaloosa every year all for the sake of money.  It gets old being a complete abused whore year in and year out.

Last edited by TheHeadEagle (2017-08-31 10:06:23)

Offline

#16 2017-08-31 19:09:49

Jignpig
Guest

Re: WHY IS KENTUCKY PLAYING IN HATTIESBURG?!?!?!11111

Kentucky fan here.
Visited your site per invite from a so miss fan at our 247 board. I have a good outside knowledge of southern miss football. I can say a lot of Kentucky fans are scratching their heads about why our AD scheduled this game. Tough opener for us without a doubt, even if we have 18 returning starters. I was at the game last year to observe our self destruction after halftime. Ito smith was the best running back I saw in commonwealth last season, including the pair from UGA. I'd imagine you guys will miss your QB, at least early on. Anyway hoping for a good clean game. Expect it to be close early and we pull away a little in the 2nd half. I say UK 40-30. Good luck on the season and y'all treat our visiting fans well tell them where to find some good food!

#17 2017-08-31 20:58:41

USMstang
Member
Registered: 2017-08-25
Posts: 141

Re: WHY IS KENTUCKY PLAYING IN HATTIESBURG?!?!?!11111

If we lose to UK, our coach will be in an instant Hot Seat Jignpig!  It will determine our ticket sales for the remainder of the year.  I look at UK and Tenn and our conference slate as an opportunity to run the table this year.  Yah, we're unsure at QB but so what. Being from the $EC doesn't scare us.  But yah, good luck and good health!


If it ain't Black & Gold...F it!

Offline

#18 2017-08-31 21:44:55

Jignpig
Guest

Re: WHY IS KENTUCKY PLAYING IN HATTIESBURG?!?!?!11111

USMstang wrote:

If we lose to UK, our coach will be in an instant Hot Seat Jignpig!  It will determine our ticket sales for the remainder of the year.  I look at UK and Tenn and our conference slate as an opportunity to run the table this year.  Yah, we're unsure at QB but so what. Being from the $EC doesn't scare us.  But yah, good luck and good health!

We certainly don't expect to scare you. And I honestly like the scheduling of the game. I've always watched your program and know very well that you guys are capable of winning. Not like you haven't beaten sec schools before.

From our perspective I see the game like this. I tough opening game on the road against a team that capitalized on our mistakes last year and beat us but I do believe we have better overall talent. It's simple enough in that if we want to improve over our 7 wins last year and 4-4 record in the SEC we have to win.
Then I hope you guys go undefeated the rest of the year (unless you play WKU) and particularly clobber Tennessee. I just hate that I work and can't go. I've been to Pascagoula and my friend has busines interests in Hattiesburg. How's the bass fishing in the area?

#19 2017-08-31 22:13:14

admin
Administrator
Registered: 2017-08-24
Posts: 259

Re: WHY IS KENTUCKY PLAYING IN HATTIESBURG?!?!?!11111

Jignpig wrote:

Kentucky fan here.
Anyway hoping for a good clean game. Expect it to be close early and we pull away a little in the 2nd half. I say UK 40-30. Good luck on the season and y'all treat our visiting fans well tell them where to find some good food!

Can't argue with any of that. With some luck, we win. Without it, you probably win. Beat Loserville.

Offline

#20 2017-09-01 00:58:04

USMstang
Member
Registered: 2017-08-25
Posts: 141

Re: WHY IS KENTUCKY PLAYING IN HATTIESBURG?!?!?!11111

Jignpig wrote:

How's the bass fishing in the area?

I have a camp about 45 mins from the stadium towards Alabama and the bass are good over there but I live on the Coast and we try not to eat fish that taste like mud!  I had fresh Speckled Trout for lunch yesterday and it was quite good...fresh Gulf shrimp & artichoke soup was the warmup too!


If it ain't Black & Gold...F it!

Offline

#21 2017-09-02 01:54:26

Jignpig
Guest

Re: WHY IS KENTUCKY PLAYING IN HATTIESBURG?!?!?!11111

USMstang wrote:
Jignpig wrote:

How's the bass fishing in the area?

I have a camp about 45 mins from the stadium towards Alabama and the bass are good over there but I live on the Coast and we try not to eat fish that taste like mud!  I had fresh Speckled Trout for lunch yesterday and it was quite good...fresh Gulf shrimp & artichoke soup was the warmup too!

Love the near shore salt water Fishing too.
Caught some huge reds near fort Morgan Alabama last June. That said not much salt water where I live but I don't eat bass except for the occasional spot. I prefer crappie, catfish, walleye, blue gill and trout for food and all are plentiful near my house.
But I love to bass and musky fish for sport and competition purposes.
I'm jealous of gulf coast guys though, the waters are so bountiful if you like seafood..and I do.
I've always wondered about the fishing in the headwaters of the mobile bay?? It's gorgeous and must be full of fish.

#22 2017-09-02 06:57:26

ArshadPatelMD
Guest

Re: WHY IS KENTUCKY PLAYING IN HATTIESBURG?!?!?!11111

Jignpig wrote:

Kentucky fan here.
Visited your site per invite from a so miss fan at our 247 board. I have a good outside knowledge of southern miss football. I can say a lot of Kentucky fans are scratching their heads about why our AD scheduled this game. Tough opener for us without a doubt, even if we have 18 returning starters. I was at the game last year to observe our self destruction after halftime. Ito smith was the best running back I saw in commonwealth last season, including the pair from UGA. I'd imagine you guys will miss your QB, at least early on. Anyway hoping for a good clean game. Expect it to be close early and we pull away a little in the 2nd half. I say UK 40-30. Good luck on the season and y'all treat our visiting fans well tell them where to find some good food!

My favorite places to eat in Hattiesburg are The Gold Post and Crescent City Grill.

I used to like Villie's... what ever happened to Villie's? Surely they were turning a nice profit.

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB