CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-02 21:24:06 - Some hot takes about support and gameday atmosphere

beagle (173)

Some hot takes about support and gameday atmosphere

I still can't get over having 23k for an SEC opener. May as well just remove the upper deck at this point.

I agree with a lot of this: http://csnbbs.com/thread-825960.html

He's right. Our marketing/EC people did a bad job trying to promote the game. I know we lost everyone to Troy or wherever but we didn't start promoting this game until this week. WTF?! Here's another thing: our tickets are way too damn expensive. $220 season tix for lower-level seats against a CUSA schedule? Are you shitting me? South Alabama sells season tix for $120 on the sidelines and $90 in the end zone. Arkansas State is similar. I know we're broke, but we should be a lot closer to that. Another thing is that we have no deal for young alums (that I know of) so they can get low ticket prices. Almost all of our peers (Arkansas State, LaTech, USA, etc) allow young alums to buy season tix for a pretty cheap price.

Another thing: our gameday atmosphere sucks. Speakers only work half the time (and it's been like this for YEARS) and our concessions blow dick. Wait 25 minutes in line for a damn powerade and water because the guy in front of me's card "won't connect"... unreal.

I think a lot of people are done and won't come back (barring a move to the AAC or some Boise State type run), but there are still some people out there that can be won over with somewhat decent leadership.

Last edited by beagle (2017-09-02 21:33:35)

"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#2 2017-09-02 21:27:40 - Some hot takes about support and gameday atmosphere

southern miss slacker (304)

Re: Some hot takes about support and gameday atmosphere

beagle wrote:

He's right. Our marketing/EC people did a bad job trying to promote the game. I know we lost everyone to Troy or wherever but we didn't start promoting this game until this week. WTF?! Here's another thing: our tickets are way too damn expensive. $220 season tix for lower-level seats against a CUSA schedule? Are you shitting me? South Alabama sells season tix for $120 on the sidelines and $90 in the end zone. Arkansas State is similar. I know we're broke, but we should be a lot closer to that. Another thing is that we have no deal for young alums (that I know of) so they can get low ticket prices. Almost all of our peers (Arkansas State, LaTech, USA, etc) allow young alums to buy season tix for a pretty cheap price.

Another thing: our gameday atmosphere sucks. Speakers only work half the time (and it's been like this for YEARS) and our concessions blow dick. Wait 25 minutes in line for a damn powerade and water because the guy in front of me's card "won't connect"... unreal.

I think a lot of people are done and won't come back (barring a move to the AAC or some Boise State type run), but there are still lot of people out there that can be won over with somewhat decent leadership.

it's only going to get worse too. because the administration has a set salary with no incentive base. so what do they give a shit? plus most of them are not graduates of USM. so there's that too. you always want graduates of your University in your athletics department. they just don't care.  only going to get worse from here on out I'm afraid

Last edited by southern miss slacker (2017-09-02 21:28:22)

#3 2017-09-02 21:42:45 - Some hot takes about support and gameday atmosphere

TheChosenOne (295)

beagle wrote:

I still can't get over having 23k for an SEC opener. May as well just remove the upper deck at this point.

I think a lot of people are done and won't come back (barring a move to the AAC or some Boise State type run), but there are still some people out there that can be won over with somewhat decent leadership.

Agree with everything you've said except last paragraph. If opening with Kentucky doesn't bring the crowd can't see Tulsa, SMU etc doing it. Very little to ZERO marketing efforts for this game. Coast has a population base well over 600,000 and I've yet see nor heard any advertising unless you count Facebook post and that wasn't much.

I mentioned  atmosphere in a different post. It wasn't good, not good at all.

#4 2017-09-02 21:44:58 - Some hot takes about support and gameday atmosphere

beagle (173)

The Mississippi Gulf Coast does not support Southern Miss. It has become similar to Metro Jackson. All SEC, with State growing big time.

"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#5 2017-09-02 21:54:24 - Some hot takes about support and gameday atmosphere

TheChosenOne (295)

You'd be surprised at the number of those from the coast attending. But agreed, should be better. Starts with marketing something we do not have

#6 2017-09-02 22:08:38 - Some hot takes about support and gameday atmosphere

USMstang (303)

The marketing effort down here is non-existent.  I have billboards for my business and they work and are not as expensive as everyone thinks if strategically placed.  Pretty sad that a non-marketing business major like me is light years ahead of a damn D1 school in simple marketing.  I drove past two of my boards on 49 to and from the game today.

Last edited by USMstang (2017-09-02 22:09:14)

Still sleeping with a Dixie Darling!

#7 2017-09-02 22:16:30 - Some hot takes about support and gameday atmosphere

stinkfist (764)

USMstang wrote:

The marketing effort down here is non-existent.  I have billboards for my business and they work and are not as expensive as everyone thinks if strategically placed.  Pretty sad that a non-marketing business major like me is light years ahead of a damn D1 school in simple marketing.  I drove past two of my boards on 49 to and from the game today.

if you go to the cusa board and search _stinkfist marketing_, you'll easily see how I've backed that sentiment from the time I started posting there....

our mkt crew coupled with the pos web development slackers is reprehensible worthy of stake burning via text....

they have zero clue what they're doing.....

disclaimer: "zero clue" just for BDR

95368035975122i7o8%5B1%5D.jpg493758851198d75b9e7118c23f42f2ad02c1efee979.gif

Board footer