CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#21 2017-10-15 19:11:54 - Ok, I'll be the first to go negative....

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

Re: Ok, I'll be the first to go negative....

Everyone on here probably predicted we would be 4-2 at this point of the season......just swap the UNT and UTSA losses. In reality, we are right on schedule.....

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#22 2017-10-15 19:21:51 - Ok, I'll be the first to go negative....

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

beagle wrote:
tg300 wrote:
Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

Hop is on par with LFed

No

The case could be made if you're just looking at wins and losses through their first 1.5 years.

Through 19 games:

Hopson: 11-8 (9-8 vs FBS, 6-5 in CUSA, 1-2 vs P5), 1 NOLA Bowl win
Fedora: 10-9  (9-9 vs FBS, 5-5 in CUSA, 1-3 vs P5), 1 NOLA Bowl win

Fedora's competition was tougher, but he also had the better players, because at that time the program hadn't bottomed out yet (thanks EJ and Giannini).

Let’s not forget Hop is doing this at $150K less per season compared to LFed....More wins at a smaller cost.....and that’s not even factoring inflation since 2008......we are getting a whale of a deal.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#23 2017-10-15 20:29:27 - Ok, I'll be the first to go negative....

Eaglebird Humperdink (142)

beagle wrote:

The case could be made if you're just looking at wins and losses through their first 1.5 years.

Through 19 games:

Fedora's competition was tougher, but he also had the better players, because at that time the program hadn't bottomed out yet (thanks EJ and Giannini).

Let’s not forget Hop is doing this at $150K less per season compared to LFed....More wins at a smaller cost.....and that’s not even factoring inflation since 2008......we are getting a whale of a deal.

Eyeball test. No need for all the calculus. Anyone who's been watching this program play football for the last 20 years knows that we have gone from a perennial overachieving underdog (and maybe for a few years a nationally respected little guy).....to a team that was a class above its own conference, fully expecting to win the conference every year....to a program that is playing right on par with it's conference.

Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining. The proof is right there on the field.

#24 2017-10-15 20:42:36 - Ok, I'll be the first to go negative....

CajunEagle (44)

Eaglebird Humperdink wrote:
beagle wrote:

Through 19 games:

Eyeball test. No need for all the calculus. Anyone who's been watching this program play football for the last 20 years knows that we have gone from a perennial overachieving underdog (and maybe for a few years a nationally respected little guy).....to a team that was a class above its own conference, fully expecting to win the conference every year....to a program that is playing right on par with it's conference.

Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining. The proof is right there on the field.

Well stated.  I agree 100 %.

#25 2017-10-15 20:52:08 - Ok, I'll be the first to go negative....

99beers (303)

Anyone who's been watching this program play football for the last 20 years knows that we have gone from a perennial overachieving underdog (and maybe for a few years a nationally respected little guy).....to a team that was a class above its own conference, fully expecting to win the conference every year....to a program that is playing right on par with it's conference.

Try last 40 years...........

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Georgia Tech SwagFag can eat zombie feces...loser. #PoundSand

#26 2017-10-15 22:04:00 - Ok, I'll be the first to go negative....

stinkfist (764)

99beers wrote:

Anyone who's been watching this program play football for the last 20 years knows that we have gone from a perennial overachieving underdog (and maybe for a few years a nationally respected little guy).....to a team that was a class above its own conference, fully expecting to win the conference every year....to a program that is playing right on par with it's conference.

Try last 40 years...........

reading comp 099......

if you've been watching for 20, then you easily understand the concept 'why' the 20 yrs that preceded was the time frame when we overachieved and earned the moniker of "doing more with less"

his overall point is we're losing fans/monies/attention/recruits due to the residual outcome....he's spot on....

you simply just like to be a bitch.....keep having fun with that.....

95368035975122i7o8%5B1%5D.jpg493758851198d75b9e7118c23f42f2ad02c1efee979.gif

#27 2017-10-16 07:24:11 - Ok, I'll be the first to go negative....

TheHeadEagle (27)

AndreWhere wrote:
tg300 wrote:
beagle wrote:

Through 19 games:

People were excited about the program because they saw a coaching staff (less Bradford) that was very good.

Not so much now.

Yeah, it was a completely different atmosphere back then. We were on the way up. The last 5 years have destroyed us in a way that goes far beyond wins and losses. Opening day 2012 was the peak. That stadium felt like a real major college program's stadium at kickoff. Watching that abysmal display last night, I saw a school and a program nothing like what we had when Fedora left.

Yeah, I believe the MAIN issue is our conference.   We've always had poor fan support, it's a fact. BUT, now even the die hard southern miss fans are having a difficult time getting excited about USM due to the competition.  North Texas, Charlotte, yada yada....these are all homecoming opponents for bigger programs.  And now we are on par with these homecoming opponents.  Hell, there was a time where they'd have been OUR homecoming opponents.  This conference is killing us.   Now that we are on par with the Troys, South Alabama's, UABs etc., those good BAMA recruits we used to get now have multiple options.  Southern Miss isn't as attractive when the Troy's  etc can beat LSU but we can't.

Last edited by TheHeadEagle (2017-10-16 07:27:01)

#28 2017-10-16 08:00:52 - Ok, I'll be the first to go negative....

99beers (303)

TheHeadEagle wrote:

Now that we are on par with the Troys, South Alabama's, UABs etc., those good BAMA recruits we used to get now have multiple options.  Southern Miss isn't as attractive when the Troy's  etc can beat LSU but we can't.

Simply stated, yet so very true.

#29 2017-10-16 09:26:15 - Ok, I'll be the first to go negative....

99beers (303)

So why is it that we fans know what is wrong, accept what is wrong, suggest what is wrong, and our damn adminstration does nothing about it?  Just sit an rot.  Time to be proactive and do something about this stagnant shit.  Something, Anything!  Acknowledge the problem and attack it before we slip into the 10k fans at a game situation.  But what you will here is, we are going to be okay.......really?  uhhh, were are not going okay pals. 

What we will do is sit around and wait on the next round of expansion "hoping" we can make a move......to what?  A depleted AAC which ain't much better than we are in now......and soon to be worse with their next TV negotiations....

We have come to a crossroads folks, and we better make a damn strong push to get back with our past cusa mates, or go independent.  We can't wait any longer for the inevitable destruction looming.

#30 2017-10-16 10:12:33 - Ok, I'll be the first to go negative....

admin (289)
Administrator

99beers wrote:

So why is it that we fans know what is wrong, accept what is wrong, suggest what is wrong, and our damn adminstration does nothing about it?  Just sit an rot.  Time to be proactive and do something about this stagnant shit.  Something, Anything!  Acknowledge the problem and attack it before we slip into the 10k fans at a game situation.  But what you will here is, we are going to be okay.......really?  uhhh, were are not going okay pals. 

What we will do is sit around and wait on the next round of expansion "hoping" we can make a move......to what?  A depleted AAC which ain't much better than we are in now......and soon to be worse with their next TV negotiations....

We have come to a crossroads folks, and we better make a damn strong push to get back with our past cusa mates, or go independent.  We can't wait any longer for the inevitable destruction looming.

The problem in my mind is that fans didn't admit these things three or four years ago. If you brought up conference affiliation back then, you generally got one of the following responses:

1. "It's easier to get to the access bowl from CUSA anyway"

2. Random statistic or score designed to show that CUSA is actually better on the field than the AAC.

3. "Slow down, champ. Let's just win some ball games."

4. "I don't care, we have an exciting new football coach."

I really hammered on the issues of affiliation and facilities back then, on the other board, but nobody was listening.  They were too focused on the 4 red herrings listed above to notice that the canary in the coal mine was dying.

#31 2017-10-16 11:14:56 - Ok, I'll be the first to go negative....

Black Diamond Reb (418)

People laughed when they were told SUNWACUSA was on it's way. Some still refuse to believe it's here and even worse than projected.

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#32 2017-10-16 12:12:10 - Ok, I'll be the first to go negative....

Eaglebird Humperdink (142)

Black Diamond Reb wrote:

People laughed when they were told SUNWACUSA was on it's way. Some still refuse to believe it's here and even worse than projected.

Yep. "C-USA sucks...but we're USM. We're not really a C-USA team. We're better than that"

Board footer