CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-21 20:31:20 - That big move to the AAC is paying off

99beers (303)

That big move to the AAC is paying off

NOT......  10-0 ucf is ranked 15 in the latest pole.   Boy that jump from cusa sure payed off!  Lmfao.

When the tv money dries up shortly, you will fall beneath us......sucker fool ass fucks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Georgia Tech SwagFag can eat zombie feces...loser. #PoundSand

#2 2017-11-21 20:36:08 - That big move to the AAC is paying off

beagle (173)

Re: That big move to the AAC is paying off

UCF is playing USF on Friday in an ABC game where the winner has the inside track to the Peach Bowl. CUSA's best team, Florida Atlantic, will play Charlotte on Saturday on Facebook and will probably play in the Boca or Bahamas Bowl.

I'm sure UCF is regretting their decision.

Last edited by beagle (2017-11-21 20:37:07)

"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#3 2017-11-21 21:19:54 - That big move to the AAC is paying off

99beers (303)

And that gets them where?  no where.....   they haven't gained shit in the long run......

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Georgia Tech SwagFag can eat zombie feces...loser. #PoundSand

#4 2017-11-21 22:03:53 - That big move to the AAC is paying off

Eaglebird Humperdink (142)

99beers wrote:

NOT......  10-0 ucf is ranked 15 in the latest pole.   Boy that jump from cusa sure payed off!  Lmfao.

When the tv money dries up shortly, you will fall beneath us......sucker fool ass fucks.

Leon Totsky has spoken.

Liked by:

#5 2017-11-22 06:17:51 - That big move to the AAC is paying off

admin (289)
Administrator

The AAC is at the level we were at 20 years ago. Tulane in 1998 is the precedent for UCF. Where UCF is now is basically where Tulane was in November 1998. It's an embarrassment to college football to have undefeated teams outside of the top ten, but that's how it is now. Everyone's head is up the P5's ass looking for diamonds.

#6 2017-11-22 10:06:57 - That big move to the AAC is paying off

AndreWhere (1252)

They still have the USF game. They should get a bounce out of that if they can win, since USF is 9-1. That said, it won't be enough to get them into the playoff.

And how did they have 3 games cancelled? That's crazy.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#7 2017-11-22 10:44:43 - That big move to the AAC is paying off

Lloydlake (139)

I wish they would go ahead and get the final re-alignment over with.
Everybody that's not in a P-5 conference, go sit in the corner until you realize you don't matter anymore.

#8 2017-11-22 10:55:12 - That big move to the AAC is paying off

Lloydlake wrote:

Everybody that's not in a P-5 conference, go sit in the corner until you realize you don't matter anymore.

But if another realignment happens, it going to be "All you guys come line up. What have you been doing while you were in the corner?"

#9 2017-11-22 10:58:56 - That big move to the AAC is paying off

southern miss slacker (304)

Lloydlake wrote:

I have no idea what the G5 is waiting for. just go ahead in this offseason and break from this shit and form your own division with a National Championship. maybe in a few years it can be like the old AFC vs NFC where the NFC thought they were far and away superior until the Super Bowl came about and Joe Willie proved the little AFC was just as good.  the NCAA could have a NCAA Super Bowl. The excitement for that would be off the hook. just do something for fuck sake cause this shit ain't cutting it with the fans.

#10 2017-11-22 11:01:37 - That big move to the AAC is paying off

Eaglebird Humperdink wrote:
Lloydlake wrote:

But if another realignment happens, it going to be "All you guys come line up. What have you been doing while you were in the corner?"

you have to ask yourself, what are we playing for here? what's the prize? Nothing.

#11 2017-11-22 11:02:40 - That big move to the AAC is paying off

admin (289)
Administrator

southern miss slacker wrote:
Lloydlake wrote:

I have no idea what the G5 is waiting for. just go ahead in this offseason and break from this shit and form your own division with a National Championship. maybe in a few years it can be like the old AFC vs NFC where the NFC thought they were far and away superior until the Super Bowl came about and Joe Willie proved the little AFC was just as good.  the NCAA could have a NCAA Super Bowl. The excitement for that would be off the hook. just do something for fuck sake cause this shit ain't cutting it with the fans.

Or, the Sun Belt and a lot of CUSA could shut down football so the real teams can play. The emergence of CUSA and then Sun Belt football is, in my opinion, a huge part of why things are so crappy for us now. If your typical casual fan doesn't know you're FBS, then you don't need to be FBS.

#12 2017-11-22 11:08:19 - That big move to the AAC is paying off

admin (289)
Administrator

Eaglebird Humperdink wrote:
Lloydlake wrote:

you have to ask yourself, what are we playing for here? what's the prize? Nothing.

Used to be a bowl game. Now every chickenshit fresh-from-the-Southland-Conference team in "FBS" gets to go bowling. So it doesn't mean anything anymore.

We're still playing for the same prize, but it's been allowed to become cheapened by the NCAA. They broke their own attendance rules and let in a shitload of teams in the Southeast. That forced the P5 to set up a kids' table for us, and it also facilitated a whole bunch of (mostly) G5-vs.-G5 bowel games. The fact that we'd been at the adults' table before didn't help us once the toddlers got really annoying. We're "all out."

#13 2017-11-22 11:14:41 - That big move to the AAC is paying off

you can see from our attendance now that all fans old and young alike are abandoning the sinking ship. first it was the east sider walmart fans, then it was the students and now you are seeing a mass exodus of the alumni on the west side not showing up and not giving to the EC and buying season tickets anymore. slowly everyone has figured out it just isn't worth it and it's just not fun anymore.

#14 2017-11-22 11:17:50 - That big move to the AAC is paying off

admin (289)
Administrator

you can see from our attendance now that all fans old and young alike are abandoning the sinking ship. first it was the east sider walmart fans, then it was the students and now you are seeing a mass exodus of the alumni on the west side not showing up and not giving to the EC and buying season tickets anymore. slowly everyone has figured out it just isn't worth it and it's just not fun anymore.

And the response is 1) no free tickets, leading to a national TV embarrassment for our opener, and 2) "Gee, guys, we're going to a bowl game! You really, really ought to contribute and attend. All the people who earn a living at my pleasure are! I sure hope you all collectively change your minds right now because that's what I'm banking on!"

Morons.

#15 2017-11-22 11:44:52 - That big move to the AAC is paying off

Black Diamond Reb (418)

admin wrote:

And the response is 1) no free tickets, leading to a national TV embarrassment for our opener, and 2) "Gee, guys, we're going to a bowl game! You really, really ought to contribute and attend. All the people who earn a living at my pleasure are! I sure hope you all collectively change your minds right now because that's what I'm banking on!"

What kind of attitude is that? You need to call Caroline and Brian.

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#16 2017-11-22 12:37:56 - That big move to the AAC is paying off

admin (289)
Administrator

Lloydlake wrote:

SEC commissioner Greg Sankey's take on that:

"There's been no one that has talked to me about that idea. I don't want to overreact and say this is a hardened concept. That's not something that would be adopted in a vacuum. There would be a full conversation among all 10 conferences. I would urge caution before people just run down that road. I'm not one who thinks we just add this on and life goes on as it is."

"We have separate subdivisions in football. If institutions want to access a different championship level than afforded now, that's why I think there should be great care before we should adopt it."

#17 2017-11-22 12:52:23 - That big move to the AAC is paying off

admin (289)
Administrator

My take:

At its core, it's not a great idea. We get a share of the BCS money. Who's to say this would be worth any more to each of us than that? Or do we somehow arrange it that such that most teams play for the G5 championship, but one goes to the access bowl?

The way to answer these questions is to not call any new G5 championship a championship- because it's not. The G5 champion goes to the access bowl (or playoffs, yeah right).

After the access bowl bid is earned, any further competition among G5 schools is not for a championship. If you want to have a tournament, be honest about what it is. It's basically the NIT of football. 

Maybe there's a market for that.  You could even work with the bowls and do something like this:

Round 1 - First week of December
St. Petersburg, New Orleans, Mobile, and New Mexico bowls host a field of 8

Round 2 - Second week of December
Shreveport and El Paso, TX host the semifinals

Finals - January 1st
Memphis hosts the championship

The bowls would still get to market the game using their existing identities. Give the winner the Giannini Cup or whatever. Not much would really change. Maybe a few more people would watch. The champion and runner up would end up playing 15 or 16 game schedules, which is good for them.

#18 2017-11-22 13:08:24 - That big move to the AAC is paying off

admin wrote:

. Give the winner the Giannini Cup or whatever.

adams-standard-athletic-cups.jpg

#19 2017-11-22 13:19:59 - That big move to the AAC is paying off

Black Diamond Reb (418)

admin wrote:

Memphis hosts the championship.

Can the Liberty Bowl hold all the San Jose State and FIU fans that will flock to that one?

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#20 2017-11-22 13:25:13 - That big move to the AAC is paying off

admin (289)
Administrator

Black Diamond Reb wrote:
admin wrote:

Memphis hosts the championship.

Can the Liberty Bowl hold all the San Jose State and FIU fans that will flock to that one?

I don't think those particular teams will be making it to the finals too often. That said, I've always said the "G5 national championship" is a bad thing. What I described was my attempt to turn it into a good thing, and you have to bastardize it pretty significantly to even make it resemble a good idea. I didn't even attempt to come up with a real name for it that would sell. "NIT-gridiron" maybe?

Board footer