CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-08 17:58:25 - Hate to be "that guy," but I've turned into him

AndreWhere (1252)

Hate to be "that guy," but I've turned into him

Nobody likes the person who lives in city A but still clings to city B's sports teams because he lived there 20 years ago or whatever and is only in city A because of his job. It's a good way to get your car keyed in any halfway-decent sports town.

Atlanta in particular has that problem big time. I swear, I've known as many Steelers fans here as I have Falcons fans. Saints fans? Not even close. I know twice as many Saints fans here as I know Falcons fans.

When I first moved here, I fought this trend. I dutifully studied the Gwinett Braves roster and formed an opinion about Matt Ryan's overall place in the NFL QB pecking order.

I'm done. Yeah, it's because of last night's game, and because of the Super Bowl, but it goes beyond that. There's something relentlessly small-time about sports and sports fandom in this town.

Screw the Falcons, screw the Hawks, screw UGA, screw whatever they call their soccer team here, and screw the Braves.

Last edited by AndreWhere (2017-12-08 18:01:56)

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

Liked by:

#2 2017-12-08 18:01:07 - Hate to be "that guy," but I've turned into him

Ace Barker (260)
Website

Re: Hate to be "that guy," but I've turned into him

AndreWhere wrote:

Nobody likes the person who lives in city A but still clings to city B's sports teams because he lived there 20 years ago or whatever and is only in city A because of his job. It's a good way to get your car keyed in any halfway-decent sports town.

Atlanta in particular has that problem big time. I swear, I've known as many Steelers fans here as I have Falcons fans. Saints fans? Not even close. I know twice as many Saints fans here as I know Falcons fans.

When I first moved here, I fought this trend. I dutifully studied the Gwinett Braves roster and formed an opinion about Matt Ryan's overall place in the NFL QB pecking order.

I'm done. Yeah, it's because of last night's game, and because of the Super Bowl, but it goes beyond that. There's something relentlessly small-time about sports and sports fandom in this town.

Fuck the Falcons, fuck the Hawks, fuck UGA, fuck whatever they call their soccer team here, and fuck the Braves.

“Do you have to use so many cuss words?”

Ace...

#3 2017-12-08 18:03:31 - Hate to be "that guy," but I've turned into him

AndreWhere (1252)

Ace Barker wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

Fuck the Falcons, fuck the Hawks, fuck UGA, fuck whatever they call their soccer team here, and fuck the Braves.

Ace...

No, I don't. I've Bowdlerized it for you (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bowdlerize), and I would not do that for just anyone. Rough game to watch, though.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

Liked by:

#4 2017-12-08 18:16:10 - Hate to be "that guy," but I've turned into him

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

First, they are called the Gwinnett Stripers now, not the Braves.....

No one in Atlanta is from Atlanta. It’s a casual sports town. Biggest mistake they made was agreeing in the final hour to build the Omni’s replacement downtown instead of Alpharetta and the northern suburbs where everyone lives. It’s the main reason they lost NHL hockey......again.
Atl United will carry the sports torch in that city going forward. Braves are Marietta’s team now and won’t be good for another 5 years minimum....

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Liked by:

#5 2017-12-08 18:22:29 - Hate to be "that guy," but I've turned into him

admin (289)
Administrator

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

First, they are called the Gwinnett Stripers now, not the Braves.....

First I'd heard of that, but it's true. Stripers... what is that? Better than the "New Orleans Baby Cakes" I guess.

#6 2017-12-08 18:47:27 - Hate to be "that guy," but I've turned into him

Ford Prefect (72)

Ace Barker wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

Ace...

fuck people that don't like the word "fuck".

#7 2017-12-08 19:46:42 - Hate to be "that guy," but I've turned into him

Ace Barker (260)
Website

AndreWhere wrote:
Ace Barker wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

Ace...

No, I don't. I've Bowdlerized it for you (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bowdlerize), and I would not do that for just anyone. Rough game to watch, though.

“When it comes to the smutty parts, you stop me. “

Ace...

#8 2017-12-08 19:48:34 - Hate to be "that guy," but I've turned into him

Ace Barker (260)
Website

Ford Prefect wrote:
Ace Barker wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

Ace...

fuck people that don't like the word "fuck".

Glad you got that off your chest.

Ace...

Board footer