CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-17 12:56:57 - Eagles have acheived the first four-game winning streak of the Doc era

admin (289)
Administrator

Eagles have acheived the first four-game winning streak of the Doc era

Is it a real signal of progress, or just noise?

#2 2017-12-17 13:02:22 - Eagles have acheived the first four-game winning streak of the Doc era

admin (289)
Administrator

Re: Eagles have acheived the first four-game winning streak of the Doc era

I'm thinking it's more noise than signal. Only two of the four opponents were D-1, and both currently have RPIs around 300.

#3 2017-12-17 14:05:09 - Eagles have acheived the first four-game winning streak of the Doc era

Black Diamond Reb (418)

3-4 on the season with the wins over 0-8, 0-11, and 4-6 squads to come in at #232. Road games at #19 FSU and #74 Mississippi State up next.

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#4 2017-12-17 14:06:34 - Eagles have acheived the first four-game winning streak of the Doc era

AndreWhere (1252)

Black Diamond Reb wrote:

3-4 on the season with the wins over 0-8, 0-11, and 4-6 squads to come in at #232. Road games at #19 FSU and #74 Mississippi State up next.

Yeah, and then we play a couple of conference games against pretty decent opponents. Things are about to get much tougher.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#5 2017-12-17 14:12:54 - Eagles have acheived the first four-game winning streak of the Doc era

Black Diamond Reb (418)

AndreWhere wrote:

Yeah, and then we play SUNWACUSA games.

A few tickets remain available.

"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."

#6 2017-12-17 14:31:10 - Eagles have acheived the first four-game winning streak of the Doc era

beagle (173)

admin wrote:

I'm thinking it's more noise than signal. Only two of the four opponents were D-1, and both currently have RPIs around 300.

RPI is horseshit, especially this early. The RPIs can be gamed by teams because they only take into account your winning %, your opponent's winning %, and your opponent's opponents winning %. This is how we made the tournament in 2012. Eustachy scheduled very smart and had our RPI around 20. But the advanced metrics like KenPom and Sagarin had us around 60-70. I love the 2012 team but they were heavily overrated by RPI which is probably how we got in the NCAAs.

You cannot game KenPom. It takes into account offensive/defensive efficiency, tempo, and pace. I believe BDR gets his ratings from Sagarin. Not sure what their exact formula is but I think Sagarin at least takes into account margin of victory which makes it infinitely more reliable than RPI.

Alabama A&M is #349 in KenPom and #347 in Sagarin. They are by all accounts a bottom 5 team in America. Troy is #165 in KenPom and #177 in Sagarin. Given that there are 351 D1 basketball schools, this means they are about average. We beat them pretty badly so an 18-point win over an average D1 team is considered a good W at this point for Doc.

Last edited by beagle (2017-12-17 14:32:29)

"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#7 2017-12-17 14:38:50 - Eagles have acheived the first four-game winning streak of the Doc era

Black Diamond Reb (418)

Likely 3-6 in OOC play, Can Joker go 7-11 and reach double digit victories vs. the vaunted SUNWACUSA?

#8 2017-12-17 19:51:26 - Eagles have acheived the first four-game winning streak of the Doc era

TheGroveEagle (8)

admin wrote:

Baby steps, yet steps nevertheless. There is definite improvement, so I'm happy about that. It remains to be seen how the heart of the season p!ays out. Hopefully we will see continued improvement and something Doc can point to when recruiting next year's incoming class.

Liked by:

#9 2017-12-17 20:27:37 - Eagles have acheived the first four-game winning streak of the Doc era

stinkfist (764)

TheGroveEagle wrote:
admin wrote:

Baby steps, yet steps nevertheless. There is definite improvement, so I'm happy about that. It remains to be seen how the heart of the season p!ays out. Hopefully we will see continued improvement and something Doc can point to when recruiting next year's incoming class.

no question.....our OOC home schedule was once again developed as expected......

our two transfers are starting to shine.....

conference action is going to be interesting.....

if we can make a little run early, you'll see the stands start to fill.....

it's a blast when we get to >4K.....

95368035975122i7o8%5B1%5D.jpg493758851198d75b9e7118c23f42f2ad02c1efee979.gif

Liked by:

#10 2017-12-18 09:36:34 - Eagles have acheived the first four-game winning streak of the Doc era

Black Diamond Reb (418)

stinkfist wrote:

conference action is going to be interesting ..... if we can make a little run early, you'll see the stands start to fill.

No, it isn't, and no, you won't.

#11 2017-12-18 10:02:09 - Eagles have acheived the first four-game winning streak of the Doc era

AndreWhere (1252)

Should've hired Jay Ladner.

Seriously, what did Tyndall actually do to generate enthusiasm? It couldn't have been just winning games. Eustachy outdid him in that respect.

Last edited by AndreWhere (2017-12-18 10:02:26)

#12 2017-12-18 10:27:04 - Eagles have acheived the first four-game winning streak of the Doc era

EagleFWB (176)

When he first got on campus he went around and got the greeks involved and fired up about it. Smart move on his part, they make up a significant majority of the student population going to games.

Tyndall was very charismatic. I met him once at a HoF induction and he was quite the politician, shaking hands and kissing babies. I was impressed by him and was very much on board with him while he was here....Little did we know...

#13 2017-12-18 11:08:08 - Eagles have acheived the first four-game winning streak of the Doc era

admin (289)
Administrator

I guess there are two ways to look at that. Maybe Doc just couldn't be bothered to do the same thing. Or maybe, having been taken for a ride by Tyndall, the Greeks weren't receptive to that kind of sales pitch anymore.

#14 2017-12-18 11:48:19 - Eagles have acheived the first four-game winning streak of the Doc era

Black Diamond Reb (418)

admin wrote:

Maybe Doc doesn't need to bother to do the same thing.

Why should he?

#15 2017-12-18 13:36:49 - Eagles have acheived the first four-game winning streak of the Doc era

SoMs Eagle (189)

Black Diamond Reb wrote:
admin wrote:

Maybe Doc doesn't need to bother to do the same thing.

Why should I be here?

I don’t know.

#16 2017-12-18 13:49:07 - Eagles have acheived the first four-game winning streak of the Doc era

AndreWhere (1252)

Black Diamond Reb wrote:

Why should I be here?

Because you're here- roll the bones.

#17 2017-12-18 17:34:35 - Eagles have acheived the first four-game winning streak of the Doc era

Black Diamond Reb (418)

SoMs Eagle wrote:

Why should I be here?

You kidding ? Who doesn't love 13th grade SUNWACUSA athletics.

#18 2017-12-18 21:54:32 - Eagles have acheived the first four-game winning streak of the Doc era

beagle (173)

AndreWhere wrote:

Seriously, what did Tyndall actually do to generate enthusiasm? It couldn't have been just winning games. Eustachy outdid him in that respect.

Well, Eustachy struggled at first. Tyndall won immediately, though he was certainly helped by the fact that Eustachy had built the program up. Tyndall also engaged the students and people around Hattiesburg. I saw him all the time at football games interacting with the fanbase.

I would still take Eustachy over Tyndall. Eustachy built the program from scratch and actually got us to the tournament. That Memphis win in 2012 was a top 3 or 4 moment for me as a USM fan. Tyndall got destroyed by Memphis twice in 2013 (lost a third time in the CUSA Tourney in 2 OT). Memphis was certainly Eustachy's kryptonite but he eventually beat him, and he never got run off the court by a Pastner team like Tyndall did twice. Eustachy was a good enough coach to where he could muck the game up enough against much more talented Memphis teams to keep us in it.

Last edited by beagle (2017-12-18 22:22:53)

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#19 2017-12-18 22:05:30 - Eagles have acheived the first four-game winning streak of the Doc era

beagle (173)

AndreWhere wrote:

No more one of us/TTT hires.

Ladner is a great guy, loves Southern Miss, and would kill for this job but his only qualification is that he's one of us. If he was winning big at SELA, I would consider him, but he hasn't broke .500 yet in the Southland and lost yesterday to a SWAC team at home.

Doc could potentially be on the hot seat if the team has a meltdown in conference play. Our conference schedule isn't really favorable with many of our more winnable games on the road (FIU/FAU). If Doc is canned, here are 4 guys I would consider.

Greg Heiar - LSU associate HC, assistant under Eustachy at USM

John Brannen - Northern Kentucky HC, took NKU to the tourney in his 2nd year, and has them as a Horizon League frontrunner this year

Nick McDevitt - UNC Asheville HC, has won 60% of his games at UNCA, took them to the NCAAs in 2016

Mark Fox - UGA HC. Could be fired from UGA this year, which would make him available. He would be a retread, which I'm typically against, but people in CBB really think he can coach. I'm not sure why it's not working for him at UGA. He hasn't been terrible there, (2 NCAAs/3 NITs in 8 years at UGA) but the Bulldog faithful wants NCAA appearances every year, I guess. It's not like Georgia has awesome basketball tradition. He was very good at Nevada before his stop in Athens

Last edited by beagle (2017-12-18 22:07:04)

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#20 2017-12-18 22:27:55 - Eagles have acheived the first four-game winning streak of the Doc era

USMstang (303)

Dammit Beagle, wtf is wrong with you???  That's a fine damn list of winners right there but none of them are Mission ImPossible, All In, or Diversity type folks....rather than talk about completely unrelated to sports shit, they coach up the wins instead.  We are looking for someone to blow hot air up the asses of the would be fans.  Don't worry, Gilbert will find a very movie-like, kool-aid drinking, protester person to coach us.  It's not about winning or revenue anyway...its about making a statement. About nothing. Kinda like Seinfeld. Or something. Fuck it.

Still sleeping with a Dixie Darling!

Board footer