CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-17 13:30:27 - Judy-USA

Ace Barker (260)
Website

Judy-USA

Sunbelt 2 Judy-USA 1
MWC 0 Judy-USA 1
MAC ? Judy-USA ?
AAC ? Judy-USA ?
ACC ? Judy-USA ?

Interesting that the Judy-USA Champ is not playing FSU. It seems that FSU-FAU would be a watchable matchup.
USM still has some clout?

Ace...

#2 2017-12-17 13:38:33 - Judy-USA

AndreWhere (1252)

Re: Judy-USA

Ace Barker wrote:

Among the kind of affluent old dudes who travel to FSU bowl games, we're still a name brand. USM should have done more with it while they still could, though. People under 25 mostly see the school as basically similar to Troy or UNT.

Last edited by AndreWhere (2017-12-17 13:39:30)

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

Liked by:

#3 2017-12-17 14:00:00 - Judy-USA

stinkfist (764)

AndreWhere wrote:
Ace Barker wrote:

Among the kind of affluent old dudes who travel to FSU bowl games, we're still a name brand. USM should have done more with it while they still could, though. People under 25 mostly see the school as basically similar to Troy or UNT.

man, when I traveled extensively, I always had a southern miss shirt and/or cap on the epidermis.....

it was the easiest ice breaker to the extent of, "brett favre and/or hattiesburg?" from the 4 corners.....

what a waste of branding that could've been......

think about it......we were at one point a threat to the brand/logo of fucking Iowa..........

what a fucking pile of dipshites.....

Last edited by stinkfist (2017-12-17 14:00:41)

95368035975122i7o8%5B1%5D.jpg493758851198d75b9e7118c23f42f2ad02c1efee979.gif

#4 2017-12-17 14:01:14 - Judy-USA

Ace Barker (260)
Website

AndreWhere wrote:
Ace Barker wrote:

Time for a mission statement update from our AD.

Ace...

#5 2017-12-17 14:03:55 - Judy-USA

AndreWhere (1252)

stinkfist wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:
Ace Barker wrote:

man, when I traveled extensively, I always had a southern miss shirt and/or cap on the epidermis.....

it was the easiest ice breaker to the extent of, "brett favre and/or hattiesburg?" from the 4 corners.....

think about it......we were at one point a threat to the brand/logo of fucking Iowa..........

That's what happens when you walk around saying "we'll be fine" as if it were a law of nature or something. Nothing stays "fine" unless you work on it, and that's true of everything: cars, careers, relationships... whatever.

Liked by:

#6 2017-12-17 14:07:58 - Judy-USA

stinkfist (764)

AndreWhere wrote:
stinkfist wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

That's what happens when you walk around saying "we'll be fine" as if it were a law of nature or something. Nothing stays "fine" unless you work on it, and that's true of everything: cars, careers, relationships... whatever.

XACLY!

there's no questioning we were behind the proverbial 8-ball with moo-u and ol' pissy in a state of 3m folk......

hell, even jewlane moved to the ack after making the monumental move of leaving the S$C moons ago....

honestly, I'm basically immune at this point....our ship sailed long ago...

#7 2017-12-17 14:08:19 - Judy-USA

Ace Barker (260)
Website

AndreWhere wrote:
stinkfist wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

The sad thing is this guy thinks G hung the moon as I have heard. Same with the previous one. How is it that guy still has so much influence with USM?

Ace...

Last edited by Ace Barker (2017-12-17 14:08:56)

#8 2017-12-17 14:48:50 - Judy-USA

USMstang (303)

That's what happens when you are a clueless fuck...and as evidenced by his mission statement email ramblings

Still sleeping with a Dixie Darling!

Liked by:

#9 2017-12-18 13:38:13 - Judy-USA

B&GBU (259)

This whole &%$* conference and our whole &^$% school for that matter is a stunt, a PC stunt. Martha, Bennett, McLeod, and all this tripe out of our AD. Nothing about winning, nothing about anything except pushing PC crap. Truth be told I'll bet the conference pukes didn't much like us getting a better bowl and opponent than their "champion". $*^# them all!

Now back to your regular programming.

"Did you ever consider that the next level would be a lower one?"

#10 2017-12-18 13:42:30 - Judy-USA

Ace Barker (260)
Website

stinkfist wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:
Ace Barker wrote:

I did this all the time,  now not so much.  On occasion I will drag something out. It's sad, in the past, people were all over it now, not so much.

Ace...

Last edited by Ace Barker (2017-12-18 13:43:05)

#11 2017-12-18 14:11:05 - Judy-USA

skyvoyager (177)

stinkfist wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:
Ace Barker wrote:

was at a meeting in birmingham ~2009 having a beer at the pool wearing a golden eagle visor.  A man from the other side of the pool sees me, walks around the pool comes up to me and says 'how bout them hawkeyes?'

the conversation didn't go too well after that

Everyone has the right to be stupid... It's just that some people abuse the privilege.

#12 2017-12-18 14:13:58 - Judy-USA

AndreWhere (1252)

skyvoyager wrote:
stinkfist wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

was at a meeting in birmingham ~2009 having a beer at the pool wearing a golden eagle visor.  A man from the other side of the pool sees me, walks around the pool comes up to me and says 'how bout them hawkeyes?'

Never saw the need for a stylized bird head logo myself. I realize that was the trend: crap like the Texans' one-eyed stylized bull, the weird, abstract-looking Patriot head, etcetera. Not all trends are worth following, though. The "Southern Miss" wordmark and "attack eagle" logo used in the late 1990s were classics.

Liked by:

#13 2017-12-18 14:27:48 - Judy-USA

Ford Prefect (72)

skyvoyager wrote:
stinkfist wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

that happened to me all the time with the old-new logo.  it got so bad I usually made it a point to know who iowa was playing every saturday, just so I knew the answer to the intended question when someone asked me, "who are you guys playing tomorrow?"

but, look, when your colors are black and gold, and your mascot is a bird of prey, there are only so many ways to put that shit on a shirt before it starts looking a bit like all the other black and gold birds of prey.

Liked by:

#14 2017-12-18 15:17:38 - Judy-USA

admin (289)
Administrator

Ford Prefect wrote:

but, look, when your colors are black and gold, and your mascot is a bird of prey, there are only so many ways to put that shit on a shirt before it starts looking a bit like all the other black and gold birds of prey.

That's why the wordmark (as seen below- this isn't the exact version I called classic, but it's close) is so important.

USM is not the Yankees, who can just put a "Y" over an "N" in the right colors and instantly trigger a mental association, or Bama, who only needs an "A" in a certain font.

The wordmark got the Southern Miss name (which is somewhat well-known) out there.

People look at those stupid bird-heads, on the other hand, and don't know who they're looking at. It's not just Iowa that's a problem. I've seen ULM's bird head mistaken for USM's.

If memory serves, the bird head got cooked up because "one of us" had worked his way into a somewhat prominent role designing animal head logos for the NFL.

So what? He's one of us? "We" didn't need what he was selling. Or if he's really all that good, he should have clued the powers-that-be into the importance of emphasizing the wordmark.

Southern_Mississippi_Golden_Eagles.jpg

Liked by:

#15 2017-12-18 15:40:04 - Judy-USA

EagleFWB (176)

I'm gonna play devils advocate with you here just for the heck of it, and b/c I don't like the word mark, but that's neither here or there. Everyone on here has their opinions.

Using the word mark for so many years prevented us from establishing our logo as something that was known as USM. So much so that recruits, some stupid announcers, and even a former HC on is hiring press conference referred to us as Southern Miss University. You still see it on social media all the time where that's how we are referred to.

Liked by:

#16 2017-12-18 15:44:36 - Judy-USA

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

The one thing that we have going for us that every other new, directional, wanna be new program not at the FCS level doesn't have is a rich football tradition. This had to be a factor as to why we got FSU over North Texas or La Tech, FAU.....

With our new apparel deal one would hope someone with a clue will work with Adidas and leverage our rich tradition and design our standard uni to respect our past and establish a look that doesn't play to the Oregon approach but more of the consistent Bama, PSU, UGA look. I am good with (1) alternate uni since that gets the recruits all excited but as stated in another post, when they put on the Black and Gold, it means something, especially to those that know the game and the history of football in the south.

ch2%20freshman%20year%20P03

Last edited by Nugget's Ghostbuster (2017-12-18 15:48:13)

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#17 2017-12-18 15:52:14 - Judy-USA

EagleFWB (176)

I agree with you NG... Black top / gold pants at home. Simple clean uni that has a classic look. You want an all black for the black out game, I'm fine with that but just for that game.

#18 2017-12-18 16:49:31 - Judy-USA

admin (289)
Administrator

EagleFWB wrote:

I'm gonna play devils advocate with you here just for the heck of it, and b/c I don't like the word mark, but that's neither here or there. Everyone on here has their opinions.

Using the word mark for so many years prevented us from establishing our logo as something that was known as USM. So much so that recruits, some stupid announcers, and even a former HC on is hiring press conference referred to us as Southern Miss University. You still see it on social media all the time where that's how we are referred to.

I think that's a pretty strong argument, if not for using a logo now, then at least for why USM attempted to establish one. Some people do say "told you so" on the Iowa thing, but others disagree.

In light of how badly this was blown, though, I don't think we should be fooling around with logos now. Throwing some weird ULM-looking logo onto the helmets is not going to differentiate us from the rest of the G3.

Some aspects of USM's sports DNA cannot be changed and should be embraced. I'd argue the need for a wordmark vs. a logo is part of that, along with playing at P5 teams and being a football independent.

I'm done with the uphill climbs.

#19 2017-12-18 18:23:01 - Judy-USA

stinkfist (764)

EagleFWB wrote:

that was the point I was attempting to make....USM was most definitely the opportunity wasted....

hell, the tattoo joint next to Sakura painted the old logo on their parking lot 2 YRS AGO.....lmao....

....is simply another wasted op......

#20 2017-12-18 19:00:56 - Judy-USA

Used to give a sh*t Eagle (9)

You had me at "Eagles".  Just put Eagles on the helmet and kick the other teams' ass while wearing black and gold.   Give me the Eric, Deric, and DeQuincy Scott's of the world that appreciate eating as much fried chicken as can be served, and give them a good game plan, and watch them kick the shit out of people.  They will go home and make a bunch of Eagle fans with, as Pinhead put it, their big fat Eagle d*cks. 

I miss the 90's real bad.

There is no solution.  We don't have the money.

Board footer