CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#41 2017-09-06 11:47:38

AEIOUSometimesWhy (0)
Member
Registered: 2017-09-05
Posts: 23

Re: 22,761 - WTF?

99beers wrote:

With everything that has been said in this thread.........There is still no plausible excuse as to why we only had 18K in the stands for a SEC matchup.  We will probably never get another P5 team in the Rock.  And folks wonder why we are considered little league.  I don't know how you fix the rampant "I don't give a fuck" mode we are in, from both a fan and administration standpoint.   I do know we pay folks to "fix" the problems, and that ain't working.  I feel horrible for the players.  They bust there asses and get to perform in front of 18K....a fucking SEC team.

I think that's just it. There's no excuse. A lot of fans who still care have realized that you can't keep making excuses any more. Something has to give sooner or later.


"If you are going to war and if you get to pick first, choose Southern Mississippi. Always choose Southern Mississippi. No matter how hard you fight, these folks will fight harder.”-- Mickey Spagnola

Offline

#42 2017-09-06 11:49:00

beagle (70)
Member
From: Cloverleaf Mall parking lot
Registered: 2017-08-25
Posts: 738

Re: 22,761 - WTF?

99beers wrote:

With everything that has been said in this thread.........There is still no plausible excuse as to why we only had 18K in the stands for a SEC matchup.  We will probably never get another P5 team in the Rock.  And folks wonder why we are considered little league.  I don't know how you fix the rampant "I don't give a fuck" mode we are in, from both a fan and administration standpoint.   I do know we pay folks to "fix" the problems, and that ain't working.  I feel horrible for the players.  They bust there asses and get to perform in front of 18K....a fucking SEC team.

Did you go to the game?

Not flaming. Just sayin' though.


"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

Offline

#43 2017-09-06 11:49:27

southern miss slacker (96)
Member
Registered: 2017-08-28
Posts: 654

Re: 22,761 - WTF?

99beers wrote:

This was a prime opportunity for our administration to make a "call for action" statement.  A simple statement such as "let's show them SEC folks we can pack a stadium!"   They did NOTHING!  IMG did NOTHING.  Snow cones for the kiddies ain't going to do it folks.  Leadership starts at the top.

Who was it that actually said....."We are going to be okay!" 

You must question the higher ups as to why they are content to keep things the same for the past 35 years.  Nothing has changed for the better.........NOTHING.  WE must demand better.  We must stop accepting the excuses.  WE must do something.

The stadium Saturday was MAYBE 1/2 full.......  meaning about 18K in the stands.  If that ain't rock bottom, I don't know what is. 

Admit there is a problem. 
Look for real solutions to the problem. 
Solve the problem. 

And it doesn't mean firing another coach for an answer to the problem.

Everyone says we can't talk any more because we can't win the championship in this bullshit conference we are in.  I CALL TOTAL BULLSHIT ON THAT.  We have been dragged down to there levels..... our adminIstration allowed us to be dragged to the bottom to drown. 

WE ARE NOT OKAY!

8a5c10800e14e7cfc9ec07671fa13f00.jpg

Online

#44 2017-09-06 11:49:28

99beers (129)
Member
From: Uranus
Registered: 2017-08-25
Posts: 771

Re: 22,761 - WTF?

beagle wrote:
beagle wrote:

Apparently they're not counting "freebies" anymore - students, visiting band, etc.

As someone on another board pointed out, all that does is take us from 1st to 8th in CUSA attendance with the same # of butts in the seats.

FWIW, Tee is saying on another board that the 23k number does count freebie tickets. Makes it even more pathetic.

Problem is, there is no way in hell 23k were in those stands..........no way.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Georgia Tech SwagFag can eat zombie feces...loser. #PoundSand

Online

#45 2017-09-06 11:52:27

southern miss slacker (96)
Member
Registered: 2017-08-28
Posts: 654

Re: 22,761 - WTF?

99beers wrote:
beagle wrote:
beagle wrote:

Apparently they're not counting "freebies" anymore - students, visiting band, etc.

As someone on another board pointed out, all that does is take us from 1st to 8th in CUSA attendance with the same # of butts in the seats.

FWIW, Tee is saying on another board that the 23k number does count freebie tickets. Makes it even more pathetic.

Problem is, there is no way in hell 23k were in those stands..........no way.

Cz_L0fSUoAAZV8N.jpg

Online

#46 2017-09-06 14:18:03

TheHeadEagle (16)
Member
Registered: 2017-08-29
Posts: 99

Re: 22,761 - WTF?

AndreWhere wrote:

"Five days after the season ended, Carmody met with USM President Lucas and was asked to resign. Announcing his departure at a press conference, Carmody stated 'I did not see this coming.' One of the reasons the university cited for making the change was the lack of attendance for home games."

-Rock Solid, Cox and Bennett, 2004, p. 204

My point? It's not that Hopson must go, necessarily, although he ain't half the coach Carmody was. My only request is that our leadership DO SOMETHING. The status quo is not working.

GO INDEPENDENT.

FIX REED GREEN. I don't care if you have to float Enron-tier junk bonds to get it done.

MAKE SOME FUCKING NOISE for a change. We are not, and we will not be, "just fine."

Assholes.

How the F is fixing Reed Green going to help Football attendance.   Had we beaten Kentucky, that future Tennessee game would be VERY appealing and more people would be coming to the games anticipating that Tenn game.  BUT NOOOOOOOOO.....fumble left, fumble right.

Offline

#47 2017-09-06 14:20:48

TheHeadEagle (16)
Member
Registered: 2017-08-29
Posts: 99

Re: 22,761 - WTF?

beagle wrote:

I've been clamoring for a new league for about 2 years now. I'd rather play ULL and USA over Charlotte and UNT, but I don't think that gets the average South Mississippian excited.

East: WKU, Marshall, App, MTSU, UAB, Georgia Southern
West: USA, USM, LaTech, ULL, Rice, Arky State


No, it doesn't.  All those teams are interchangeable to me.   Getting back with East Carolina, Houston, Memphis, Tulane, SMU is more exciting and should be our SOLE GOAL right now.

Last edited by TheHeadEagle (2017-09-06 14:21:17)

Offline

#48 2017-09-06 14:48:34

99beers (129)
Member
From: Uranus
Registered: 2017-08-25
Posts: 771

Re: 22,761 - WTF?

TheHeadEagle wrote:
beagle wrote:

I've been clamoring for a new league for about 2 years now. I'd rather play ULL and USA over Charlotte and UNT, but I don't think that gets the average South Mississippian excited.

East: WKU, Marshall, App, MTSU, UAB, Georgia Southern
West: USA, USM, LaTech, ULL, Rice, Arky State


No, it doesn't.  All those teams are interchangeable to me.   Getting back with East Carolina, Houston, Memphis, Tulane, SMU is more exciting and should be our SOLE GOAL right now.

Since we are pitifully reactive, that won't happen anytime soon.  After the TV money dries up in the AAC, then anything is possible.  But can we really afford to wait for that to happen?


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Georgia Tech SwagFag can eat zombie feces...loser. #PoundSand

Online

#49 2017-09-06 17:25:18

AndreWhere (97)
Member
From: Dunwoody, GA
Registered: 2017-08-24
Posts: 1,261
Website

Re: 22,761 - WTF?

beagle wrote:
southerner92 wrote:

I have missed 1 home game in last 28 years

That's impressive. Well done.

I've made 71/77 since 2004. Had a 43 game streak going from 2005-2012 but by the end of the year I couldn't support EJ so I missed the final 2 home games. Missed the final 2 home games of 2013 because I wasn't interested in watching us getting blasted by FAU and MTSU. Missed the UAB game in 2014. Also missed the Tulsa game back in 2005.

We are 0-6 in home games I've missed during this timespan.

Did either of y'all go to the 2002 Houston Bowl. Just curious... not judging, Houston isn't exactly a destination people daydream about.

Offline

#50 2017-09-06 18:00:37

beagle (70)
Member
From: Cloverleaf Mall parking lot
Registered: 2017-08-25
Posts: 738

Re: 22,761 - WTF?

AndreWhere wrote:
beagle wrote:
southerner92 wrote:

I have missed 1 home game in last 28 years

That's impressive. Well done.

I've made 71/77 since 2004. Had a 43 game streak going from 2005-2012 but by the end of the year I couldn't support EJ so I missed the final 2 home games. Missed the final 2 home games of 2013 because I wasn't interested in watching us getting blasted by FAU and MTSU. Missed the UAB game in 2014. Also missed the Tulsa game back in 2005.

We are 0-6 in home games I've missed during this timespan.

Did either of y'all go to the 2002 Houston Bowl. Just curious... not judging, Houston isn't exactly a destination people daydream about.

No. Haven't been to many road/bowl games.

2007 Papa John's - L
2008 NOLA - W
2009 NOLA - L
2015 LaTTTech - W
2015 WKU/SUNWACUSA title - L
2016 NOLA - W

Might go to Monroe and/or Ruston this year.


"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

Offline

#51 2017-09-06 18:02:24

admin (120)
Administrator
Registered: 2017-08-24
Posts: 1,056

Re: 22,761 - WTF?

beagle wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:
beagle wrote:

That's impressive. Well done.

I've made 71/77 since 2004. Had a 43 game streak going from 2005-2012 but by the end of the year I couldn't support EJ so I missed the final 2 home games. Missed the final 2 home games of 2013 because I wasn't interested in watching us getting blasted by FAU and MTSU. Missed the UAB game in 2014. Also missed the Tulsa game back in 2005.

We are 0-6 in home games I've missed during this timespan.

Did either of y'all go to the 2002 Houston Bowl. Just curious... not judging, Houston isn't exactly a destination people daydream about.

No. Haven't been to many road/bowl games.

2007 Papa John's - L
2008 NOLA - W
2009 NOLA - L
2015 LaTTTech - W
2015 WKU/SUNWACUSA title - L
2016 NOLA - W

Might go to Monroe and/or Ruston this year.

Oh, man, that 2009 NOLA Bowl was brutal. Perfect counterexample for anyone who thinks we need bowls to survive. That one was an absolute kick in the teeth.

Online

#52 2017-09-06 18:04:11

beagle (70)
Member
From: Cloverleaf Mall parking lot
Registered: 2017-08-25
Posts: 738

Re: 22,761 - WTF?

Dwight Dasher....


"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

Offline

#53 2017-09-06 18:09:49

beagle (70)
Member
From: Cloverleaf Mall parking lot
Registered: 2017-08-25
Posts: 738

Re: 22,761 - WTF?

Forgot to add that I went to Navy in 2011. Very fun trip.


"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

Offline

#54 2017-09-06 18:36:27

beagle (70)
Member
From: Cloverleaf Mall parking lot
Registered: 2017-08-25
Posts: 738

Re: 22,761 - WTF?

Cyc46 wrote:

In the above league the schools are at least close enough to cut down on travel costs and build a few rivalries. Might even get us back to 28k if we market it right.

Agree on the potential rivalries.

Would people turn out for ULL and App State over UNT and Charlotte? I don't know.

Last edited by beagle (2017-09-06 18:36:47)


"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

Offline

#55 2017-09-06 18:50:21

southern miss slacker (96)
Member
Registered: 2017-08-28
Posts: 654

Re: 22,761 - WTF?

beagle wrote:
Cyc46 wrote:

In the above league the schools are at least close enough to cut down on travel costs and build a few rivalries. Might even get us back to 28k if we market it right.

Agree on the potential rivalries.

Would people turn out for ULL and App State over UNT and Charlotte? I don't know.

Nah, The THE is right, you're just replacing 6 shitty teams with 6 other shitty teams. only difference is the shittiness is closer to our shittiness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S03UOkb9zU4

Online

#56 2017-09-06 18:53:07

admin (120)
Administrator
Registered: 2017-08-24
Posts: 1,056

Re: 22,761 - WTF?

"All the money in the world couldn't buy back those days"

Amen, man.

Online

#57 2017-09-06 19:27:44

beagle (70)
Member
From: Cloverleaf Mall parking lot
Registered: 2017-08-25
Posts: 738

Re: 22,761 - WTF?

southern miss slacker wrote:
beagle wrote:
Cyc46 wrote:

In the above league the schools are at least close enough to cut down on travel costs and build a few rivalries. Might even get us back to 28k if we market it right.

Agree on the potential rivalries.

Would people turn out for ULL and App State over UNT and Charlotte? I don't know.

Nah, The THE is right, you're just replacing 6 shitty teams with 6 other shitty teams. only difference is the shittiness is closer to our shittiness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S03UOkb9zU4

My proposed league is definitely better football than CUSA. Not saying it'd be the AAC or MWC but it's better than the MAC or Sun Belt.

We fit in more culturally with schools like Georgia Southern, LaTech, and Arkansas State anyways. Rural-ish schools with small, but passionate fanbases. We have nothing in common with these mega-commuter schools like FIU and Charlotte that have a billion students but 18 total fans.


"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

Offline

#58 2017-09-06 19:35:19

admin (120)
Administrator
Registered: 2017-08-24
Posts: 1,056

Re: 22,761 - WTF?

beagle wrote:

We fit in more culturally with schools like Georgia Southern, LaTech, and Arkansas State anyways. Rural-ish schools with small, but passionate fanbases. We have nothing in common with these mega-commuter schools like FIU and Charlotte that have a billion students but 18 total fans.

Can't argue with that, but I do think independence suits us even better. We're Southern Miss. The ultimate road dog. "Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime." That was our identity. Not sure why we abandoned it, other than AD laziness.

Online

#59 2017-09-06 19:37:43

southern miss slacker (96)
Member
Registered: 2017-08-28
Posts: 654

Re: 22,761 - WTF?

beagle wrote:
southern miss slacker wrote:
beagle wrote:

Agree on the potential rivalries.

Would people turn out for ULL and App State over UNT and Charlotte? I don't know.

Nah, The THE is right, you're just replacing 6 shitty teams with 6 other shitty teams. only difference is the shittiness is closer to our shittiness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S03UOkb9zU4

My proposed league is definitely better football than CUSA. Not saying it'd be the AAC or MWC but it's better than the MAC or Sun Belt.

We fit in more culturally with schools like Georgia Southern, LaTech, and Arkansas State anyways. Rural-ish schools with small, but passionate fanbases. We have nothing in common with these mega-commuter schools like FIU and Charlotte that have a billion students but 18 total fans.


I get what you are saying. I understand. but I still won't go to a game home or away vs those teams either. I will watch at home but I will not bother to bust my ass driving to watch that shit either. we're Little League now. I don't do little league.

Online

#60 2017-09-06 19:45:58

admin (120)
Administrator
Registered: 2017-08-24
Posts: 1,056

Re: 22,761 - WTF?

southern miss slacker wrote:

I get what you are saying. I understand. but I still won't go to a game home or away vs those teams either. I will watch at home but I will not bother to bust my ass driving to watch that shit either. we're Little League now. I don't do little league.

That's why I said:

"I don't want to see another home game until we figure some things out."

Home win against South Alabama? Nah, no thanks.

Away game against the Vols like the one we had in 2000? I can make that, if our team is decent enough to steal one. One 21-0 win at Bama (not even the first time we skunked 'em LOL) is worth 1,000 C-USA championships in my book. Tearing down the uprights after we beat UH in 1997... just shake your head at that one, folks. It was pathetic. The real fans were not impressed.

Play the best teams ("anyone") at their place ("anywhere") every year ("anytime"). It's not neurosurgery, 'Eagles. It's a recipe we inherited.

Online

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB

This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure