CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-11 12:00:56 - Bower on playoff

beagle (174)
Member
From: Cloverleaf Mall parking lot
Registered: 2017-08-25
Posts: 1,224

Bower on playoff

Wants to stay at a 4 team playoff. Also says that UCF didn’t have the SOS.

https://mississippitoday.org/2018/01/11 … -it-right/


"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

Offline

#2 2018-01-11 12:02:14 - Bower on playoff

beagle (174)
Member
From: Cloverleaf Mall parking lot
Registered: 2017-08-25
Posts: 1,224

Re: Bower on playoff

Well, most years when I was at Southern Miss when we played Alabama, Auburn and people like that. We played Penn State, Nebraska, Florida, Georgia, Oklahoma State, Tennessee – all those teams. There wasn’t a playoff system then, but if there had been and we ran the table against our conference and then teams like that, then, yes, I think we would get in with today’s selection process. Strength of schedule is really important, both in conference and out of conference. As I said, UCF had a helluva team, but the strength of schedule just wasn’t there. If they had beaten an Alabama, a Georgia, an LSU or somebody like that, it certainly would have helped.


"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

Offline

#3 2018-01-11 12:20:57 - Bower on playoff

Nugget's Ghostbuster (233)
Member
From: U.S. Department of Interior
Registered: 2017-08-25
Posts: 914

Re: Bower on playoff

beagle wrote:

Well, most years when I was at Southern Miss when we played Alabama, Auburn and people like that. We played Penn State, Nebraska, Florida, Georgia, Oklahoma State, Tennessee – all those teams. There wasn’t a playoff system then, but if there had been and we ran the table against our conference and then teams like that, then, yes, I think we would get in with today’s selection process. Strength of schedule is really important, both in conference and out of conference. As I said, UCF had a helluva team, but the strength of schedule just wasn’t there. If they had beaten an Alabama, a Georgia, an LSU or somebody like that, it certainly would have helped.

Doubt it.....A majority of those P5 teams Bower played ended with losing/average records so the excuse of the quality of opponents record would have been the issue.
UCF was #12, 8 spots from the top 4 in the final rankings before the start of the playoff. If they beat LSU they are not getting the #4 spot over Bama or OSU.


"When Nugget II was found dead that cold December morning, Southern Miss had a serious problem on its hands. The handler who starved Nugget II is presumably still out there, his freedom bought for $2,000 from alumni coffers."

Offline

Liked by:

#4 2018-01-11 12:37:39 - Bower on playoff

EagleFWB (30)
Member
Registered: 2017-12-05
Posts: 56

Re: Bower on playoff

Agreed NG.... That's just spinning. With a 4 team playoff no G5 will get ever in. Hell, some P5 conferences apparently can't either.

Offline

#5 2018-01-11 13:30:53 - Bower on playoff

stinkfist (147)
Member
Registered: 2017-08-29
Posts: 870

Re: Bower on playoff

don't miss him a bit.....

fk'n vanilla pacifist....

Offline

x 1
x 0

Liked by:

#6 2018-01-11 14:33:09 - Bower on playoff

southern miss slacker (237)
Member
Registered: 2017-08-28
Posts: 1,125

Re: Bower on playoff

I believe the highest rank a Bower team finished was #17.

Offline

#7 2018-01-11 14:51:23 - Bower on playoff

Black Diamond Reb (117)
Member
From: Palmers Crossing, Mississippi
Registered: 2017-08-25
Posts: 464

Re: Bower on playoff

southern miss slacker wrote:

I believe the highest rank a Bower team finished was #17.

Hoddamn .. Same as poster schedules.


"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."

Offline

#8 2018-01-11 15:08:09 - Bower on playoff

AndreWhere (237)
Member
From: Dunwoody, GA
Registered: 2017-08-24
Posts: 2,421
Website

Re: Bower on playoff

Bower makes a good case for excluding UCF from the playoff.  That is not equivalent to a good case that Bama should be national champion.


Bring back Thad V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Carmody.

Offline

x 0
x 2

#9 2018-01-11 16:46:19 - Bower on playoff

stinkfist (147)
Member
Registered: 2017-08-29
Posts: 870

Re: Bower on playoff

AndreWhere wrote:

Bower makes a good case for excluding UCF from the playoff.  That is not equivalent to a good case that Bama should be national champion.

I thought the topic was 8 vs. 4.....

his argument is as predictable as was his play calling skills....

he just needs to retire, enjoy fishing, and hobnobbing .....

at some point, ya gotta let it go and simply move on.....

#adaptordie

Last edited by stinkfist (2018-01-11 16:47:43)

Offline

#10 2018-01-11 18:10:45 - Bower on playoff

Reggie Favre (80)
Member
Registered: 2017-09-01
Posts: 255

Re: Bower on playoff

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:
beagle wrote:

Well, most years when I was at Southern Miss when we played Alabama, Auburn and people like that. We played Penn State, Nebraska, Florida, Georgia, Oklahoma State, Tennessee – all those teams. There wasn’t a playoff system then, but if there had been and we ran the table against our conference and then teams like that, then, yes, I think we would get in with today’s selection process. Strength of schedule is really important, both in conference and out of conference. As I said, UCF had a helluva team, but the strength of schedule just wasn’t there. If they had beaten an Alabama, a Georgia, an LSU or somebody like that, it certainly would have helped.

Doubt it.....A majority of those P5 teams Bower played ended with losing/average records so the excuse of the quality of opponents record would have been the issue.
UCF was #12, 8 spots from the top 4 in the final rankings before the start of the playoff. If they beat LSU they are not getting the #4 spot over Bama or OSU.

Bower is 100% right with everything he said.

You are 100% wrong.

Offline

x 3
x 7

#11 2018-01-11 18:23:49 - Bower on playoff

southern miss slacker (237)
Member
Registered: 2017-08-28
Posts: 1,125

Re: Bower on playoff

0122_BISP_BI%20Jeff%20Bower.jpg

Offline

x 1
x 0

#12 2018-01-11 19:02:59 - Bower on playoff

AndreWhere (237)
Member
From: Dunwoody, GA
Registered: 2017-08-24
Posts: 2,421
Website

Re: Bower on playoff

southern miss slacker wrote:

I believe the highest rank a Bower team finished was #17.

The team finished #13 and #14 in the two major polls in 1999.


Bring back Thad V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Carmody.

Offline

#13 2018-01-11 19:07:07 - Bower on playoff

AndreWhere (237)
Member
From: Dunwoody, GA
Registered: 2017-08-24
Posts: 2,421
Website

Re: Bower on playoff

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

A majority of those P5 teams Bower played ended with losing/average records so the excuse of the quality of opponents record would have been the issue.

I'm not sure about that. I haven't looked at every season, but I did notice that the power conference teams that USM played in 1999 finished a collective 30-8. That Nebraska team that beat Bower's 1999 just 20-13 team finished #2 in the nation.

Not defending Bower here. The fact is, he didn't win those games, and after 2000 he didn't experience much real success at all.

Last edited by AndreWhere (2018-01-11 19:08:08)


Bring back Thad V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Carmody.

Offline

#14 2018-01-11 19:32:02 - Bower on playoff

EagleFWB (30)
Member
Registered: 2017-12-05
Posts: 56

Re: Bower on playoff

AndreWhere wrote:
southern miss slacker wrote:

I believe the highest rank a Bower team finished was #17.

The team finished #13 and #14 in the two major polls in 1999.

Yes... Unfortunately the next season we pissed ourselves at home against Lville that lead to the ongoing downward spiral.

Offline

Liked by:

#15 2018-01-11 19:35:04 - Bower on playoff

AndreWhere (237)
Member
From: Dunwoody, GA
Registered: 2017-08-24
Posts: 2,421
Website

Re: Bower on playoff

EagleFWB wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:
southern miss slacker wrote:

I believe the highest rank a Bower team finished was #17.

The team finished #13 and #14 in the two major polls in 1999.

Yes... Unfortunately the next season we pissed ourselves at home against Lville that lead to the ongoing downward spiral.

That was the only home game I missed in 2000. I wanted to go but was cajoled into staying home by my family. The bowl game in Mobile was nice, but that team squandered a lot of potential.

And yes... it was basically all downhill from there.


Bring back Thad V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Carmody.

Offline

Liked by:

#16 2018-01-11 23:47:14 - Bower on playoff

stinkfist (147)
Member
Registered: 2017-08-29
Posts: 870

Re: Bower on playoff

EagleFWB wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:
southern miss slacker wrote:

I believe the highest rank a Bower team finished was #17.

The team finished #13 and #14 in the two major polls in 1999.

Yes... Unfortunately the next season we pissed ourselves at home against Lville that lead to the ongoing downward spiral.

IIRC, that was the game where Ragone tossed the same 8 yd. out the entire game and JK was in looking, looking, looking, looking looking, looking, looking (again) mode.....I think it was an interception festival....

our crew sat directly behind JK's parents for 4 years....that game was a tough one keeping my mouth shut....

#goodtimes

Last edited by stinkfist (2018-01-11 23:48:17)

Offline

#17 2018-01-12 01:18:46 - Bower on playoff

AndreWhere (237)
Member
From: Dunwoody, GA
Registered: 2017-08-24
Posts: 2,421
Website

Re: Bower on playoff

stinkfist wrote:

JK was looking, looking, looking, looking looking, looking, looking (again) mode.....

One of these days Jeff will find that receiver...


Bring back Thad V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Carmody.

Offline

#18 2018-01-12 09:16:08 - Bower on playoff

skyvoyager (8)
Member
Registered: 2017-09-13
Posts: 44

Re: Bower on playoff

AndreWhere wrote:
EagleFWB wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

The team finished #13 and #14 in the two major polls in 1999.

Yes... Unfortunately the next season we pissed ourselves at home against Lville that lead to the ongoing downward spiral.

That was the only home game I missed in 2000. I wanted to go but was cajoled into staying home by my family. The bowl game in Mobile was nice, but that team squandered a lot of potential.

And yes... it was basically all downhill from there.

cleveland wrote an article about that game years ago.

Before that game southern miss was 25-2 in conference play with 3 conference championships ( even though the
first one was a co-championship and we did NOT go to a bowl game that year )

after that game, under bower, 38-20 in conference play with 1 conference championship....

but remember the most important facts, he did not use gel in his hair and he did not lose to uab.

Last edited by skyvoyager (2018-01-12 09:30:47)


Everyone has the right to be stupid... It's just that some people abuse the privilege.

Offline

#19 2018-01-12 13:03:19 - Bower on playoff

beagle (174)
Member
From: Cloverleaf Mall parking lot
Registered: 2017-08-25
Posts: 1,224

Re: Bower on playoff

TTT fans are not pleased.

Bower got his chance to rub elbows with the big boys and won't speak his mind. He is a sell out to Southern Miss, CUSA, and all G-5 . To me he is a disgrace. People like him is the reason that the G-5 schools are stuck were we are. When he was a coach here he felt different, now he is on their side.


"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

Offline

#20 2018-01-12 16:14:29 - Bower on playoff

eaglenjxn (7)
Member
Registered: 2018-01-04
Posts: 11

Re: Bower on playoff

beagle wrote:

Wants to stay at a 4 team playoff. Also says that UCF didn’t have the SOS.

https://mississippitoday.org/2018/01/11 … -it-right/


"We played Penn State, Nebraska, Florida, Georgia, Oklahoma State, Tennessee – all those teams."

And this is the perfect example of why the playoff committee RANKING is idiotic.  While Jeff Bower was a good coach here and I appreciate the success he brought us.....what the hell business does he have ranking college football teams in 2018?  It isn't 1997 anymore.  You have a bunch of coaches and AD's--some who haven't been involved in college football in a decade--ranking teams?!   

My problem was never with the BCS ratings.  I liked the ratings and rarely disagreed with the 1 vs. 2 that they gave us.  The problem was that it gave us two teams.  I liked the combination of subjective and objective.  Now, we get four teams (slightly better) but are relying solely on the subjective opinion of a small group of guys who may/may not be qualified--probably less qualified than most writers.

As far as the UCF argument goes, I'm annoyed with how this is being framed.  The problem isn't that UCF didn't make the four-team playoff.  They should not have been in the top four.  The injustice is that they were NUMBER 12!!  They wouldn't have even been close to making an 8-team playoff.  They were behind three-loss Stanford (who lost to San Diego State!) until after championship week.  There was one week where Mississippi State jumped them for beating Arkansas.  That is what illustrates that a G5 team receives ZERO consideration.

Last edited by eaglenjxn (2018-01-12 16:16:38)

Offline

Liked by:

Board footer