CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#21 2018-01-24 07:03:06 - Jon Gilbert: short-term revenue vs. long-term good

stinkfist (764)

Re: Jon Gilbert: short-term revenue vs. long-term good

beagle wrote:
stinkfist wrote:
beagle wrote:

Favre is paying for the vast majority of the volleyball facility, as his daughter is in the program. It’ll be raised 100% by private donations. Please STFU until you know WTF you are talking about.

we already knew that.....that wasn't his point.....

what he's saying is there is some big money in this town......and it's being misspent in relative terms.....

title IX sucked since it was implemented.....and then it expanded into sports.......

guess what happens to the low budget schools.......

What was his point then?

I'll expand on lines 2 and 3 (ya know, where I explained his point)

we need to shut down some men's programs that would eliminate the additional titty IX overhead burdens of today and tomorrow....therefore, reduce men's programs so the titty IX burden is reduced to the bare minimum....

I didn't write the rules....however, that's the reality of the situation for schools like ours.....

as an example, this town would never miss men's golf or tennis.....oops, those wouldn't make carolyn, nor jerry happy....

also, do you remember how teddy managed to get the tennis program placed on probation....how in the hell does your tennis program draw interest like that from the ncaa (litigating that shite costs money too).....

compare/contrast.....pay attention how our site didn't mention teddy by name.....there's a reason for that

http://www.southernmiss.com/sports/m-te … 13aab.html

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/c … s/1877211/

hope that clears thingys up for ya....

95368035975122i7o8%5B1%5D.jpg493758851198d75b9e7118c23f42f2ad02c1efee979.gif

#22 2018-01-24 08:06:13 - Jon Gilbert: short-term revenue vs. long-term good

EagleFWB (176)

admin wrote:

The biggest example is the Kentucky game. When the TV coverage opened up, I was shocked by how empty and dingy M.M. Roberts looked. It was one of the most disappointing moments of my many years as a USM fan. Here's USM's return game from an SEC team we beat last year, a team that went on to play in the Gator Bowl, and we get... that??

After the game, Gilbert was touting how much money he made. Apparently, he successfully shook down the core group of fans who didn't mind paying $40 or whatever to get in, and kept everyone else out.

Maybe that's appropriate for some games. It was not appropriate for a winnable home opener against an SEC team. There's no proving it, but I think that a big, enthusiastic home crowd might have made the difference that day.

I gotta say that I was shocked at the crowd for that game. I sat there in disbelief that nobody came to that game.

Then the North Texas home loss sealed the season for me. I lost all interest at that point.

#23 2018-01-27 19:04:47 - Jon Gilbert: short-term revenue vs. long-term good

AndreWhere (1252)

EagleFWB wrote:
admin wrote:

The biggest example is the Kentucky game. When the TV coverage opened up, I was shocked by how empty and dingy M.M. Roberts looked. It was one of the most disappointing moments of my many years as a USM fan. Here's USM's return game from an SEC team we beat last year, a team that went on to play in the Gator Bowl, and we get... that??

After the game, Gilbert was touting how much money he made. Apparently, he successfully shook down the core group of fans who didn't mind paying $40 or whatever to get in, and kept everyone else out.

Maybe that's appropriate for some games. It was not appropriate for a winnable home opener against an SEC team. There's no proving it, but I think that a big, enthusiastic home crowd might have made the difference that day.

I gotta say that I was shocked at the crowd for that game. I sat there in disbelief that nobody came to that game.

Then the North Texas home loss sealed the season for me. I lost all interest at that point.

USM home football was generally shitty in 2017, and I put that squarely on Gilbert's shoulders.

Yeah, the on-field talent could have performed better, but you have to give them some crowd support if you expect to have a home field advantage.

In order to get a crowd in the stadium, you have to 1) offer some value for people's money and 2) put the basics in place, e.g. somewhere to park that doesn't involve taking on a kamikaze mission.

Gilbert failed miserably at those two things.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#24 2018-01-27 20:07:16 - Jon Gilbert: short-term revenue vs. long-term good

USMstang (303)

And yet Gilbert is apparently quite pleased with the results both at the Rock and of how his emails turned out

Still sleeping with a Dixie Darling!

#25 2018-01-27 20:10:03 - Jon Gilbert: short-term revenue vs. long-term good

AndreWhere (1252)

stinkfist wrote:

titty IX doesn't make cents.....

There does seem to be a consensus that sportswomen require subsidies to compete in the marketplace, e.g.:

hoes.png

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

Board footer