CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-05 11:21:40 - Attendance Not Just USM Issue

Special EdD (0)

Attendance Not Just USM Issue

State was selling 6 dollar tix, and LSU is selling tix to two games for a whopping 27 bucks. A few years ago both were selling out every game.

#2 2017-09-05 11:56:24 - Attendance Not Just USM Issue

beagle (173)

Re: Attendance Not Just USM Issue

I get that.

What I don't get is that they apparently are no longer counting freebies.... students, band(s), etc towards the announced attendance. All that does is make our weaknesses look even worse. It's the same # of butts in the stands but drops us several spots in the CUSA attendance rankings. Under McG, this game is announced at 26-27k, which is totally unacceptable but it does look better than 22-23k.

I swear, if Gilbert fucks with our baseball attendance numbers .... that's about the only thing this athletic program has left.

"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#3 2017-09-05 11:59:09 - Attendance Not Just USM Issue

Special EdD (0)

Giblet may have underestimated the work required for this job. Billy Mc, for whatever anybody wants to say, was a worker.

#4 2017-09-05 12:16:30 - Attendance Not Just USM Issue

Black Diamond Reb (418)

Special EdD wrote:

Billy Mc was a worker.

Do elaborate.

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#5 2017-09-05 18:10:12 - Attendance Not Just USM Issue

stinkfist (764)

you have to be rumplestiltskin to not understand the 'why'.....

95368035975122i7o8%5B1%5D.jpg493758851198d75b9e7118c23f42f2ad02c1efee979.gif

#6 2017-09-05 18:14:38 - Attendance Not Just USM Issue

USMstang (303)

Billy McG was an idiot.  His lack of leadership was astounding. His aloofness made even Larry Eustacy jealous.  That's the craziest shit I've read on a message board since some of eaglepuss' political ramblings.  Look, McG may have been a nice guy but he was a zero at USM in the grand scheme of things.

As for the attendance numbers, I had sidelines passes for pre-game and I looked all over the place.  I was shocked during the anthem that there may have been 12K in there.  I didn't head up to my seats until after kickoff and there still was no more than 12K in there.  By midway thru the 1st quarter, I'll kiss all your asses if there was 15K in there.  The place was simply not halfway full. Period.  I think they did count band, students, etc. We are fucked!

Still sleeping with a Dixie Darling!

#7 2017-09-05 18:50:28 - Attendance Not Just USM Issue

Black Diamond Reb (418)

USMstang wrote:

I had sidelines passes and I looked all over the place.

They're right next to the playing field.

Whackjob

"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."

#8 2017-09-05 19:12:41 - Attendance Not Just USM Issue

stinkfist (764)

USMstang wrote:

Billy McG was an idiot.  His lack of leadership was astounding. His aloofness made even Larry Eustacy jealous.  That's the craziest shit I've read on a message board since some of eaglepuss' political ramblings.  Look, McG may have been a nice guy but he was a zero at USM in the grand scheme of things.

As for the attendance numbers, I had sidelines passes for pre-game and I looked all over the place.  I was shocked during the anthem that there may have been 12K in there.  I didn't head up to my seats until after kickoff and there still was no more than 12K in there.  By midway thru the 1st quarter, I'll kiss all your asses if there was 15K in there.  The place was simply not halfway full. Period.  I think they did count band, students, etc. We are fucked!

yup....but we did get this (which I back 1000% sans logo wink )

rg-empty-lg.jpg

#9 2017-09-05 19:35:53 - Attendance Not Just USM Issue

Black Diamond Reb (418)

stinkfist wrote:

We did get a $30,000 rendering of another carpetbagger's 40 million dollar pipe dream. 

http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/smis/graph … pty-lg.jpg

Yep

#10 2017-09-05 19:44:03 - Attendance Not Just USM Issue

stinkfist (764)

Black Diamond Reb wrote:
stinkfist wrote:

We did get a $30,000 rendering of another carpetbagger's 40 million dollar pipe dream. 

rg-empty-lg.jpg

Yep

lmfao.......

one day I have to toss ya an olde english 40 oz. at a 40 mph clip when whistling down Edwards......

#11 2017-09-05 22:31:13 - Attendance Not Just USM Issue

Cyc46 (0)

When you are a poor school you don't get a guy from a resource rich school and expect him to fix the problems. Whatever the new AD's name is, he is probably just sitting back waiting for the checks to roll in. God knows you haven't heard shit from him since he got here and as bad as many say McG was at least he had somewhat of a feel for marketing and interaction with the fans. I'd probably still have season tickets if he was around because I may have known what he was selling was a pipe dream but at least it was nice to dream. This new AD doesn't even have that.

#12 2017-09-05 22:35:54 - Attendance Not Just USM Issue

southern miss slacker (304)

Cyc46 wrote:

When you are a poor school you don't get a guy from a resource rich school and expect him to fix the problems. Whatever the new AD's name is, he is probably just sitting back waiting for the checks to roll in. God knows you haven't heard shit from him since he got here and as bad as many say McG was at least he had somewhat of a feel for marketing and interaction with the fans. I'd probably still have season tickets if he was around because I may have known what he was selling was a pipe dream but at least it was nice to dream. This new AD doesn't even have that.

you seem to know a lot about what is going on within the athletic dept. are you a USM graduate with ties to our AD and others?

#13 2017-09-06 06:38:53 - Attendance Not Just USM Issue

Cyc46 (0)

I have a friend or two who give at a significant level. I get some info from them. The new strategy I hear is to try to cultivate new high level donors. That is great but something we have never done well is mid level donors. I've never understood why we haven't made a big push at that level (1500 to 5k a year). Those are the people that may eventually get to a 10k a year person. You get 20 of those in 5 years at 10k and that is a big boon. I'm getting close (within 10 years) were I am going to have a significant level of yearly disposable income. When I'm 50  both my kids should be out of college (1st kid at 25). My wife and I travel a bit and have a nice middle middle class life. Other than helping the kids get started or some other devastating life event I could go 10k for years at that time and not have it greatly impact my life. I have a lot of buddies who went to USM who will be in a similar position. I get zero out reach from the athletic department because I'm not important today. If I was AD I'd get a list of graduates from say 96 to 06. I'd send them a set of free tickets every few years (even if they are already involved). I'd have a tent setup for them, I'd treat them great. You might get a few to come back and give, and that is great for everyone. I'd sit down and at the beginning of every season I'd send out a facebook twitter etc message about that sports team expectations and I wouldnt be fluff about it. If we were last I'd say we are trying to get to mid level in 3 years and compete for championships in 5 (adjust for actual expectations).

Once I hit those guys I am going after every little guy out there I can. Give 25 you get an EC hat pin. 50 you get a EC hat. 100 for apull over. Make those guys feel special and emphasize how freaking important they are. Promote USM as the great thing it is in our region. I'd have at least one billboard in Memphis MoBile Lafayette oxford Baton Rogue Tuscaloosa auburn and I'd put something like "Eagles we need you for the Sugar Bowl in 2020" and then the number to the ticket office. And if/when our guys/gals call I'd tell them what the fuck our expectations are (to ride this shitty conference like a bitch and get to a New Years Day Bowl and then skip the hell out of town).

But Cyc we po (can't even afford the or) and have limits. Alright those tickets I mentioned earlier are already printed and we can't afford postage so you social media the hell out of it. Here let me help you. Facebook twitter etc. USM alumni who graduated in the fall of 96 give the ticket office a call and get a free pair of tickets and a trip to our athletics tent. And I'd put that damn thing right in the middle of the best tailgating area. I'd use these tickets to fill in the bottom and top middle sections of the stadium not the shitty ends. Give those to the kids (and by no means am I dissing the kids who could come here but this is about money). I'd give the students two sections all their own and encourage the future alumni to come up with great new traditions. I could see a row of kids dressed as mustard buzzards (turn a slight into a strength) have another kid with a flag (make a new flag each year) etc.

Innovation,  ideas, and in most cases  out reach can be free. We don't do any of it. We don't have much if any out reach. Our athletic administration is fat and lazy. I'd be on social media everyday. I'd highlight USM and our tradition everyday on social media and if I didn't have an athletic fact I'd throw out a fact about USM in general to keep people up to date. We got a lot to be proud of and we've been through worse but we sure as hell don't act like we've climbed those mountains before.

Last edited by Cyc46 (2017-09-06 06:42:43)

#14 2017-09-06 06:50:15 - Attendance Not Just USM Issue

Cyc46 (0)

Also I know the free tickets/discounts rub some fans wrong. That is why I'd offer them free to everyone in whichever group we are targeting. If you already have season tickets you aren't getting ripped. Also keep in mind that's a fairly large group, we can space that over 5 years (30 games or 10 years). I'd also come up with a pricing strategy that is fair to season ticket holders, nothing ticked me off more when I'd shell out for my season tickets and then at the season paid more than I would have if I just hit the discount ticket sales. Anyways all this is, is an exercise in futility. The new AD isn't really interested in most of us. So there you go.

#15 2017-09-06 07:19:49 - Attendance Not Just USM Issue

beagle (173)

Season ticket prices need to come way down. Something like $150 lower-deck, $100 upper deck. Possibly go even lower than this. $230 for SUNWACUSA ball is not acceptable.

Last edited by beagle (2017-09-06 07:21:49)

"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#16 2017-09-06 08:45:46 - Attendance Not Just USM Issue

AEIOUSometimesWhy (0)

Cyc, I don't disagree with your post at all. I agree. Our university does not capture the mid and lower level donors that could eventually turn into upper level donors well in athletics nor academics. Great post.

"If you are going to war and if you get to pick first, choose Southern Mississippi. Always choose Southern Mississippi. No matter how hard you fight, these folks will fight harder.”-- Mickey Spagnola

#17 2017-09-06 09:52:22 - Attendance Not Just USM Issue

USMstang (303)

AEIOUSometimesWhy wrote:

Cyc, I don't disagree with your post at all. I agree. Our university does not capture the mid and lower level donors that could eventually turn into upper level donors well in athletics nor academics. Great post.

This!  It's never been a priority.  Probably because they don't know how to do it.  I've made suggestions over the years but none have been followed up.  Ask an Eagle Club member why they joined and how they joined and how they found out.  It's sad.  Most will tell you they needed a better seat and/or parking spot.  They had to ask someone with a good spot how they got it.  Then they had to make a few phone calls in order to join.

Still sleeping with a Dixie Darling!

#18 2017-09-06 10:55:58 - Attendance Not Just USM Issue

AEIOUSometimesWhy (0)

USMstang wrote:
AEIOUSometimesWhy wrote:

This!  It's never been a priority.  Probably because they don't know how to do it.  I've made suggestions over the years but none have been followed up.  Ask an Eagle Club member why they joined and how they joined and how they found out.  It's sad.  Most will tell you they needed a better seat and/or parking spot.  They had to ask someone with a good spot how they got it.  Then they had to make a few phone calls in order to join.

If it wasn't for the (not highly advertised) recent alumni deal, there's no way that I could have gotten season tickets or joined the eagle club this year. The young alumni deal should be something that's expanded to 5 years post-grad (instead of 3) and advertised as soon as students are notified that they qualify for graduation (and again the week they walk, a month after they walk, and the months leading up to the start of the season). Do a better job explaining the purpose of the Student Alumni Association/Alumni Association so that when students graduate they are galvanized to join. Capture the future mid and upper level donors of tomorrow early. Get them to be supporters of the USM Foundation and USM Athletics immediately through the perks that Cyc suggested earlier. Make it habitual for each donor. Make them feel like what they're giving makes a difference whether that's towards scholarships, saving to upgrade facilities, etc. Check up with each donor yearly and not just to panhandle for money.

"If you are going to war and if you get to pick first, choose Southern Mississippi. Always choose Southern Mississippi. No matter how hard you fight, these folks will fight harder.”-- Mickey Spagnola

#19 2017-09-06 10:58:10 - Attendance Not Just USM Issue

problem here is none of you are willing to call and speak to the AD about all of this. you never have, you never will. because you know you don't matter. that and, you're pussies.

Last edited by southern miss slacker (2017-09-06 10:59:02)

#20 2017-09-06 11:01:11 - Attendance Not Just USM Issue

you'll come to a stupid message board and vent but not one of you have the balls to go see someone about this face to face. many of you are not alumni anyway. many of you are not season ticket holders, EC, or even go to games. you say you care, but you won't do anything.

Board footer