CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#21 2017-09-06 12:05:03

AEIOUSometimesWhy (0)
Member
Registered: 2017-09-05
Posts: 23

Re: Attendance Not Just USM Issue

southern miss slacker wrote:

you'll come to a stupid message board and vent but not one of you have the balls to go see someone about this face to face. many of you are not alumni anyway. many of you are not season ticket holders, EC, or even go to games. you say you care, but you won't do anything.

Well, what should we do about it then? We've all been beating a dead horse by venting online, so we all get it. We all understand the problems the university faces and what to do next. What do you (or any of us) think our next plan of action or next step should be as USM supporters/alumns/EC members/etc.? (Dead serious, not a dig at you)


"If you are going to war and if you get to pick first, choose Southern Mississippi. Always choose Southern Mississippi. No matter how hard you fight, these folks will fight harder.”-- Mickey Spagnola

Offline

#22 2017-09-06 12:16:47

southern miss slacker (96)
Member
Registered: 2017-08-28
Posts: 649

Re: Attendance Not Just USM Issue

AEIOUSometimesWhy wrote:
southern miss slacker wrote:

you'll come to a stupid message board and vent but not one of you have the balls to go see someone about this face to face. many of you are not alumni anyway. many of you are not season ticket holders, EC, or even go to games. you say you care, but you won't do anything.

Well, what should we do about it then? We've all been beating a dead horse by venting online, so we all get it. We all understand the problems the university faces and what to do next. What do you (or any of us) think our next plan of action or next step should be as USM supporters/alumns/EC members/etc.? (Dead serious, not a dig at you)

you send emails to the AD and tell him you ain't giving a dime no more and no season tickets to anything until you see a real effort to fix this shit. you get about 10-15 people to do that and they will stand up and take notice. bitching on a message board about this does nothing. it's just stupid really. you want action? then take action. you weak ass little bitches.

Offline

#23 2017-09-06 12:34:37

AEIOUSometimesWhy (0)
Member
Registered: 2017-09-05
Posts: 23

Re: Attendance Not Just USM Issue

southern miss slacker wrote:
AEIOUSometimesWhy wrote:
southern miss slacker wrote:

you'll come to a stupid message board and vent but not one of you have the balls to go see someone about this face to face. many of you are not alumni anyway. many of you are not season ticket holders, EC, or even go to games. you say you care, but you won't do anything.

Well, what should we do about it then? We've all been beating a dead horse by venting online, so we all get it. We all understand the problems the university faces and what to do next. What do you (or any of us) think our next plan of action or next step should be as USM supporters/alumns/EC members/etc.? (Dead serious, not a dig at you)

you send emails to the AD and tell him you ain't giving a dime no more and no season tickets to anything until you see a real effort to fix this shit. you get about 10-15 people to do that and they will stand up and take notice. bitching on a message board about this does nothing. it's just stupid really. you want action? then take action. you weak ass little bitches.

Enlightening discourse, professor. So basically do what other "more influential" backers do now. No more giving to the university to help fund efforts in fixing the problems so that the university can turn around and fix the problems with less funding given by its "supporters" (also increasing the attendance problem which began this whole thread). You're right, money talks. But hollow, "You fix this or I stop doing this" threats with no offer of a solution is what gave us the Ellis Johnson problem and is what also discourages people from speaking up because, they're not that monetarily influential. 

Now I do agree with one point you made- "bitiching on a message board does nothing.. take action". That is a given. I don't believe that there is any administrator in the nation who goes on to message boards to get the opinion of the constituents. But, if the people on here are able to formulate a good idea or good plan of action written down and organized, get the support of those who are on here (outside of anonymous aliases), get more support from other university backers, present it to the administration/athletics department, then something may happen because more voices are stronger than the one. Threats only work for so long and if you have certain clout (and make you no better than my generation's whining, complaining, and hollow "demands"), organized and defined communicated efforts have more effectiveness to get the desired outcome done. And if that doesn't work, back to the drawing board- but at least we have an organized lobbying effort started.


"If you are going to war and if you get to pick first, choose Southern Mississippi. Always choose Southern Mississippi. No matter how hard you fight, these folks will fight harder.”-- Mickey Spagnola

Offline

#24 2017-09-06 13:08:05

USMstang (50)
Member
From: 7 miles North of Cat Island
Registered: 2017-08-25
Posts: 416

Re: Attendance Not Just USM Issue

southern miss slacker wrote:

problem here is none of you are willing to call and speak to the AD about all of this. you never have, you never will. because you know you don't matter. that and, you're pussies.

Way to rally the troops Slacker...nice to assume they too are Slackers!   lol

Giannini didn't care when I spoke to him...he just looked like he needed a nap.  Hammond cared and was very receptive.  He even drove down here on more than one occasion to meet with folks I referred to him.  Billy McG was a waste of fuckin time.  I'm presently working my way thru the chain of command on the new guy.  I'm just not sure if he'll know what to do with the information I provide him any more than McG did.  I'm using a different tactic this go-round since being very direct didn't work last time.  You have to remember that these folks are pretty full of themselves and usually have an elitest mindset along with the fact that they are not from USM so they don't have their finger on the pulse.

As for the others, I do hope you are in contact with someone either at the Eagle Club or ADs office.  It will help if you are an EC member but even if you're not, do make contact.


If it ain't Black & Gold...F it!

Online

#25 2017-09-06 13:09:03

TheChosenOne (46)
Member
Registered: 2017-08-26
Posts: 203

Re: Attendance Not Just USM Issue

"But, if the people on here are able to formulate a good idea or good plan of action written down and organized"

I'll just assume you're new to this group

Online

#26 2017-09-06 13:12:49

TheChosenOne (46)
Member
Registered: 2017-08-26
Posts: 203

Re: Attendance Not Just USM Issue

"You have to remember that these folks are pretty full of themselves and usually have an elitest mindset "

Are you referring to those on this board or athletic department?  Guess it doesn't matter, you're right either way  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile

Online

#27 2017-09-06 13:40:58

Black Diamond Reb (67)
Member
From: Palmers Crossing, Mississippi
Registered: 2017-08-25
Posts: 242

Re: Attendance Not Just USM Issue

southern miss slacker wrote:

You get about 10-15 people to do that and they will stand up and take notice.

No, "they" won't.


"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."

Online

#28 2017-09-06 13:42:27

99beers (129)
Member
From: Uranus
Registered: 2017-08-25
Posts: 762

Re: Attendance Not Just USM Issue

southern miss slacker wrote:

problem here is none of you are willing to call and speak to the AD about all of this. you never have, you never will. because you know you don't matter. that and, you're pussies.

Didn't take long for the real "nuggie" in him to come out..........


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Georgia Tech SwagFag can eat zombie feces...loser. #PoundSand

Offline

#29 2017-09-06 13:58:00

TheHeadEagle (16)
Member
Registered: 2017-08-29
Posts: 99

Re: Attendance Not Just USM Issue

it's not about prices people, it's about excitement.   This conference has killed us and it all came crashing down in one season.  After the massive HIGHLIGHT of beating TOP 10 Houston in the CUSA champ game on National TV, our conference came crashing down along with our program during the Johnson debacle.  That one season ended everything abruptly. 

There was virtually zero excitement leading into the Kentucky game as virtually everyone expected us to lose.   No hype going into season because well, of CUSA.  It's fn horrible in every way.   For most of my life I've lived and breathed Southern Miss. I could usually spout off historical statistics, etc.   I defended  our old CUSA because it wasn't a bad conference in competitiveness or name recognition.    NOW, I can't even name all our conference members....I don't know most of their mascots or where the team is even located.   It's just HORRIBLE in every way, it's a joke and it's indefensible now.   And now that we've lost to Kentucky, expect lower turnouts (with exception to Southern who will probably bring many folks) throughout the season.  Hell, we could win out and it wouldn't make a lick of a splash nationwide because we lost to Kentucky, the bottom dweller of the SEC.   We are dead, nationally irrelevant as is the conference.

It's f'n depressing especially considering we actually didn't look half bad vs Kentucky and probably should have won if not for turnovers.  But that's typical Southern Miss.  Lay a f'n egg right when you can't afford to.  Win that game vs Kentucky and people would have taken notice and had a little hope.

And by the way, on a previous thread...maybe on a previous board....I predicted the turnout.  It wasn't hard to do.   Hell even the message boards are dead compared to 10 years ago.

Last edited by TheHeadEagle (2017-09-07 09:47:47)

Offline

#30 2017-09-06 14:25:40

AEIOUSometimesWhy (0)
Member
Registered: 2017-09-05
Posts: 23

Re: Attendance Not Just USM Issue

TheChosenOne wrote:

"But, if the people on here are able to formulate a good idea or good plan of action written down and organized"

I'll just assume you're new to this group

Not really new. Just not as cynical yet. Working on it though.


"If you are going to war and if you get to pick first, choose Southern Mississippi. Always choose Southern Mississippi. No matter how hard you fight, these folks will fight harder.”-- Mickey Spagnola

Offline

#31 2017-09-06 16:25:03

TheChosenOne (46)
Member
Registered: 2017-08-26
Posts: 203

Re: Attendance Not Just USM Issue

AEIOUSometimesWhy wrote:
TheChosenOne wrote:

"But, if the people on here are able to formulate a good idea or good plan of action written down and organized"

I'll just assume you're new to this group

Not really new. Just not as cynical yet. Working on it though.

Fist bump to you sir. Well played

Online

#32 2017-09-06 17:13:55

AndreWhere (96)
Member
From: Dunwoody, GA
Registered: 2017-08-24
Posts: 1,257
Website

Re: Attendance Not Just USM Issue

southern miss slacker wrote:

problem here is none of you are willing to call and speak to the AD about all of this. you never have, you never will. because you know you don't matter. that and, you're pussies.

I emailed Giannini once and he ended up doing exactly what I suggested, other than my last sentence about going on a one-way cruise to Antarctica.  lol

Offline

#33 2017-09-06 17:18:41

AndreWhere (96)
Member
From: Dunwoody, GA
Registered: 2017-08-24
Posts: 1,257
Website

Re: Attendance Not Just USM Issue

Cyc46 wrote:

I've never understood why we haven't made a big push at that level (1500 to 5k a year). Those are the people that may eventually get to a 10k a year person.

I was in that range for a while, and it's a tough sell. You get frustrated at what they actually do with the money. You're sending in a couple thousand a year, and you know other people are, too, but nothing ever gets done unless some big shot makes a big donation. If you give the athletic program $1,000,000 or whatever, you can tell them "take this and get a real coach / scoreboard / whatever." At the four-figure level, you're just throwing money into a hole that never seems to lead anywhere.

Offline

#34 2017-09-06 17:21:14

southern miss slacker (96)
Member
Registered: 2017-08-28
Posts: 649

Re: Attendance Not Just USM Issue

Black Diamond Reb wrote:
southern miss slacker wrote:

You get about 10-15 people to do that and they will stand up and take notice.

No, "they" won't.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trljmnV6blE

Offline

#35 2017-09-06 17:22:36

AndreWhere (96)
Member
From: Dunwoody, GA
Registered: 2017-08-24
Posts: 1,257
Website

Re: Attendance Not Just USM Issue

Cyc46 wrote:

I have a friend or two who give at a significant level. I get some info from them. The new strategy I hear is to try to cultivate new high level donors. That is great but something we have never done well is mid level donors. I've never understood why we haven't made a big push at that level (1500 to 5k a year). Those are the people that may eventually get to a 10k a year person. You get 20 of those in 5 years at 10k and that is a big boon. I'm getting close (within 10 years) were I am going to have a significant level of yearly disposable income. When I'm 50  both my kids should be out of college (1st kid at 25). My wife and I travel a bit and have a nice middle middle class life. Other than helping the kids get started or some other devastating life event I could go 10k for years at that time and not have it greatly impact my life. I have a lot of buddies who went to USM who will be in a similar position. I get zero out reach from the athletic department because I'm not important today. If I was AD I'd get a list of graduates from say 96 to 06. I'd send them a set of free tickets every few years (even if they are already involved). I'd have a tent setup for them, I'd treat them great. You might get a few to come back and give, and that is great for everyone. I'd sit down and at the beginning of every season I'd send out a facebook twitter etc message about that sports team expectations and I wouldnt be fluff about it. If we were last I'd say we are trying to get to mid level in 3 years and compete for championships in 5 (adjust for actual expectations).

Once I hit those guys I am going after every little guy out there I can. Give 25 you get an EC hat pin. 50 you get a EC hat. 100 for apull over. Make those guys feel special and emphasize how freaking important they are. Promote USM as the great thing it is in our region. I'd have at least one billboard in Memphis MoBile Lafayette oxford Baton Rogue Tuscaloosa auburn and I'd put something like "Eagles we need you for the Sugar Bowl in 2020" and then the number to the ticket office. And if/when our guys/gals call I'd tell them what the fuck our expectations are (to ride this shitty conference like a bitch and get to a New Years Day Bowl and then skip the hell out of town).

But Cyc we po (can't even afford the or) and have limits. Alright those tickets I mentioned earlier are already printed and we can't afford postage so you social media the hell out of it. Here let me help you. Facebook twitter etc. USM alumni who graduated in the fall of 96 give the ticket office a call and get a free pair of tickets and a trip to our athletics tent. And I'd put that damn thing right in the middle of the best tailgating area. I'd use these tickets to fill in the bottom and top middle sections of the stadium not the shitty ends. Give those to the kids (and by no means am I dissing the kids who could come here but this is about money). I'd give the students two sections all their own and encourage the future alumni to come up with great new traditions. I could see a row of kids dressed as mustard buzzards (turn a slight into a strength) have another kid with a flag (make a new flag each year) etc.

Innovation,  ideas, and in most cases  out reach can be free. We don't do any of it. We don't have much if any out reach. Our athletic administration is fat and lazy. I'd be on social media everyday. I'd highlight USM and our tradition everyday on social media and if I didn't have an athletic fact I'd throw out a fact about USM in general to keep people up to date. We got a lot to be proud of and we've been through worse but we sure as hell don't act like we've climbed those mountains before.

Spot on post, though. Just wanted to share my personal perspective. Had they been more grateful for my couple thousand a year, they might still be getting it. Instead they get some free publicity!

Offline

#36 2017-09-06 19:39:11

Black Diamond Reb (67)
Member
From: Palmers Crossing, Mississippi
Registered: 2017-08-25
Posts: 242

Re: Attendance Not Just USM Issue

Learn to enjoy what it is now, not what it was when Pie Vann, Mary Kay, and Corky were around. That shit's over, not coming back, and SUNWACUSA is here. If you want to waste time thinking up ways to sell more snow cones on cheap tickets go ahead, but don't expect anyone at USM to give a shit. Better off going to Sonic of Sumrall and suggesting they bring back the white gravy and chicken strips.


"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."

Online

#37 2017-09-06 19:42:34

southern miss slacker (96)
Member
Registered: 2017-08-28
Posts: 649

Re: Attendance Not Just USM Issue

Black Diamond Reb wrote:

Better off going to Sonic of Sumrall and suggesting they bring back the white gravy and chicken strips.

they got rid of that? Well what the Fuck Man!

Offline

#38 2017-09-06 20:01:07

BrianPeppers (0)
Member
Registered: 2017-08-31
Posts: 46

Re: Attendance Not Just USM Issue

Black Diamond Reb wrote:

Learn to enjoy what it is now, not what it was when Pie Vann, Mary Kay, and Corky were around. That shit's over, not coming back, and SUNWACUSA is here.

So we're basically on the same level as people who reenact the Civil War... in grey uniforms LOL. Sad. USM's gonna rise again, dawg! Save your USM diplomas!

Offline

#39 2017-09-06 20:07:24

southern miss slacker (96)
Member
Registered: 2017-08-28
Posts: 649

Re: Attendance Not Just USM Issue

windsor ruins man. that's all we are now.

Offline

#40 2017-09-06 20:09:59

BrianPeppers (0)
Member
Registered: 2017-08-31
Posts: 46

Re: Attendance Not Just USM Issue

What's Windsor? Chris Windsor? The House of Windsor? Be more specific please.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB