CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#41 2017-09-19 08:11:56 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

TheHeadEagle (27)

Re: Let's get ahead of ourselves

Just got to the stuff about losing HOP.  Give me an F'N break.  You guys are hilarious.  Us winning 9-10 games is a MASSIVE STRETCH.  Even if we do, Hop isn't going anywhere.     He'd need to do that a couple years in a row to be realistically considered somewhere else.    And Memphis?  Might be an upgrade is Salary but a professional lateral move as far as I'm concerned.   If Hop ever were to become a BIG SCHOOL coach, he could do that by being successful at Southern Miss, some might argue he'd have better odds at doing that from Southern Miss.  Just ask Bobby Collins, Curly Hallman, Larry Fedora....or Monken who's now in the pros.

Last edited by TheHeadEagle (2017-09-19 08:12:36)

#42 2017-09-19 08:45:35 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

Eaglebird Humperdink (142)

TheHeadEagle wrote:

Us winning 9-10 games is a MASSIVE STRETCH.

Yep. That's why I brought it up. USM didn't head into the season looking like a 9-win team. But a couple of things have come to light:
1. We actually have a QB. We didn't know that before the KY game.
2. Ito Smith is even better this year.
3. Our defensive line has enough depth that we should be able to keep fresh legs in the game. Pressuring the opposing QB wins football games.

Looking back, Keon was a turnover machine. He's out. The only turnovers to clean up are the potential ones moving forward.  And I'm assuming the coaches are getting on some asses about the number of stupid penalties.

So far, our special teams play has been pretty bad. Improvement needed.

But the biggest thing is the schedule. C-USA is down (even by C-USA standards). That's why I don't think Charlotte or UTSA will get us this year...leaving LaTech and Marshall as potential season spoilers.

Last edited by Eaglebird Humperdink (2017-09-19 08:46:50)

#43 2017-09-19 12:11:21 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

TheHeadEagle (27)

Eaglebird Humperdink wrote:
TheHeadEagle wrote:

Us winning 9-10 games is a MASSIVE STRETCH.

Yep. That's why I brought it up. USM didn't head into the season looking like a 9-win team. But a couple of things have come to light:
1. We actually have a QB. We didn't know that before the KY game.
2. Ito Smith is even better this year.
3. Our defensive line has enough depth that we should be able to keep fresh legs in the game. Pressuring the opposing QB wins football games.

Looking back, Keon was a turnover machine. He's out. The only turnovers to clean up are the potential ones moving forward.  And I'm assuming the coaches are getting on some asses about the number of stupid penalties.

So far, our special teams play has been pretty bad. Improvement needed.

But the biggest thing is the schedule. C-USA is down (even by C-USA standards). That's why I don't think Charlotte or UTSA will get us this year...leaving LaTech and Marshall as potential season spoilers.

Oh, I think we fall to either North Texas or USTA.   It's gonna happen.  If it doesn't I'll gladly eat my words and immediately begin to predict a 9-10 win season.     In recent years Marshall has certainly been a thorn in our side.   And the Tenn game in an auto loss.  We NEVER win those games.  It'll be closer than some will think but that's a loss.

#44 2017-09-19 12:49:54 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

AndreWhere (1252)

I think UTSA will almost certainly beat USM. That said, I still think 8 wins is pretty likely. If they do beat UTSA then, yeah, at that point the team is exceeding expectations by a wide margin and will probably have a very good year.

I don't think other schools will look Hopson's way for another couple of years. Right now, he's winning with Juco transfers and Monken recruits.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#45 2017-09-19 12:57:12 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

Eaglebird Humperdink (142)

TheHeadEagle wrote:

Oh, I think we fall to either North Texas or USTA.   It's gonna happen.  If it doesn't I'll gladly eat my words and immediately begin to predict a 9-10 win season.     In recent years Marshall has certainly been a thorn in our side.   And the Tenn game in an auto loss.  We NEVER win those games.  It'll be closer than some will think but that's a loss.

The bad thing is we have 4 real tests left...UTSA, LaTech, Tenn, and Marshall. With UT an almost certain loss, it would be huge to win two of those other three games.
There's always the possibility of losing to the other CUSA doormats. Somedays the ball bounces the wrong way and you commit stupid penalties at the worst times.
You're right, USM would have to go on an insane run of good, crisp football to get to 10-2 or even 9-3.

#46 2017-09-19 13:05:39 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

Black Diamond Reb (418)

TheHeadEagle wrote:

We crushed ULM. That's impressive.

Good Lord

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#47 2017-09-19 17:40:12 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

admin (289)
Administrator

Black Diamond Reb wrote:
TheHeadEagle wrote:

Good Lord

I wasn't impressed, I was merely relieved.

#48 2017-09-20 08:01:29 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

TheHeadEagle (27)

Black Diamond Reb wrote:
TheHeadEagle wrote:

Good Lord

YOU F'N Tool,  You took that our of context.  I was referring to 100 yards of penalties and we still crushed em.  THAT"S what was impressive....not the mere fact we beat em.    Jeez....do you work for CNN?

#49 2017-09-20 08:28:14 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

southern miss slacker (304)

TheHeadEagle wrote:
Black Diamond Reb wrote:
TheHeadEagle wrote:

Good Lord

YOU F'N Tool,  You took that our of context.  I was referring to 100 yards of penalties and we still crushed em.  THAT"S what was impressive....not the mere fact we beat em.    Jeez....do you work for CNN?

yah bdr, you're a fucking tool dude. you need to buy season tickets and join the eagle club and go to all the games and yell and cheer for usm and shit. geeeez.

Last edited by southern miss slacker (2017-09-20 08:29:36)

#50 2017-09-20 08:34:06 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

Black Diamond Reb (418)

TheHeadEagle wrote:

100 yards of penalties and we still crushed em. THAT"S what was impressive.

Was it a home game?

"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."

#51 2017-09-20 10:34:13 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

southern miss slacker (304)

what's the scale here exactly? win by 1-5 points = "we kicked their ass". 6-10 pts = "we dominated from start to finish" 11-15pts = "man, we crushed them". geeez.

#52 2017-09-20 14:19:46 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

TheHeadEagle (27)

southern miss slacker wrote:

what's the scale here exactly? win by 1-5 points = "we kicked their ass". 6-10 pts = "we dominated from start to finish" 11-15pts = "man, we crushed them". geeez.

Like the announcer basically said, the score was deceiving, the game would have been much worse if not for the penalties.   

WTF are we arguing about?  Even I was excited we merely got a win...figured we'd TTT.   But we didn't, even though we tried our best repeatedly via penalties at every turn.   Let's also not forget we drove right down the field at the end and HOP decided not to let Itto score.   Most coaches would have let him punch it in.  We win by 18 easily despite over 100 yards of penalties.  Give up 100 yards of penalties vs North Texas and see what happens.

#53 2017-09-20 14:27:13 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

Ace Barker (260)
Website

You guys would complain if you were single and offered disease free women, no risk of pregnancy, your favorite beverages, your favorite foods, your dream car and the Southern Baptist Church wouldn't find out.

For now it is USM 2 - Opponents 1. Hopefully in the end it will be USM 13 - Opponents 1

"You beat everything, you know that?"

Ace...

#54 2017-09-20 16:01:58 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

SoMs Eagle (189)

southern miss slacker wrote:

So if we win more than the "no more than 4 wins" you predicted, will they be; kicked their ass, dominated start to finish or crushed them?  Let us know Nostradamus.

#55 2017-09-20 16:04:06 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

SoMs Eagle (189)

Ace Barker wrote:

You guys would complain if you were single and offered disease free women, no risk of pregnancy, your favorite beverages, your favorite foods, your dream car and the Southern Baptist Church wouldn't find out.

For now it is USM 2 - Opponents 1. Hopefully in the end it will be USM 13 - Opponents 1

Ace...

Is that how you sell you them boats?

#56 2017-09-20 16:17:21 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

tg300 (439)

Ace Barker wrote:

Ace...

No Jet?

#57 2017-09-20 18:03:20 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

Black Diamond Reb (418)

TheHeadEagle wrote:

If not for the penalties.

You know better.

#58 2017-09-20 21:22:57 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

Ace Barker (260)
Website

SoMs Eagle wrote:
Ace Barker wrote:

Ace...

Is that how you sell you them boats?

"Quicker than a cat can lick his ass."

Ace...

#59 2017-09-22 04:51:28 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

AndreWhere (1252)

beagle wrote:

The fans would welcome Bower if he promised to run the spread and start talking tough ("I guarantee you we will beat the shit out of Mississippi State in 2019!"). Same reason people liked Hammond. Former military guy that didn't have any real plans but talked tough and said stuff about honor and integrity. Our fans eat that shit up.

I supported the man at first, because he wasn't Giannini and because fans seemed to genuinely like him. He revealed his true colors pretty quickly, though. He's a typical creature of the federal government. Give him a job, an he'll immediately declare his predecessor incompetent, and find / invent / create some horrible problem which only he can save us from. He covers it with a veneer of likability, but the guy's just a self-serving politician in my opinion. I could be even harsher, but I'll leave it at that.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#60 2017-09-22 10:02:52 - Let's get ahead of ourselves

beagle (173)

I'll say this about Hammond, I would have him on the staff as some sort of scheduling negotiation guy. The guy was here for a year and was a whiz with the scheduling. Had a home/home lined up with Miami and Vandy as well (rumor but believe it to be true). There were also discussions with Florida State and Notre Dame about a possible game in the Superdome. Not sure if they were ever serious, but talks did take place.

Some ADs are good at scheduling negotiation, some just aren't. Giannini was incompetent, but he did bring in exciting opponents. McGillis, OTOH, was terrible at scheduling. Got 1 P5 home game and that was because UAB screwed UK but shutting down their opponent. 2nd best deal was probably TROY.

Gilbert has done a pretty good job thus far getting deals going with State and Tulane.

"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

Board footer