CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-28 17:02:32 - One million dollars guaranteed for our running backs coach

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1054)
Member
From: U.S. Department of Interior
Registered: 2017-08-25
Posts: 3,922

One million dollars guaranteed for our running backs coach


"Pressure washers are great for removing deep-seated dirt, grease, peeling paint and even graffiti from concrete, asphalt, siding, decks, lawn furniture, garbage cans, boats and trailers, and outdoor power equipment." - Jon Dilbert, ECU AD

Offline

#2 2019-01-28 17:15:55 - One million dollars guaranteed for our running backs coach

AndreWhere (896)
Member
From: Dunwoody, GA
Registered: 2017-08-24
Posts: 6,894

Re: One million dollars guaranteed for our running backs coach

In hindsight, it's probably good that Hop never declared him the new OC. To say "we lost our running backs coach" doesn't sound as bad.


Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

Online

#3 2019-01-28 17:28:22 - One million dollars guaranteed for our running backs coach

EagleFWB (102)
Member
Registered: 2017-12-05
Posts: 272

Re: One million dollars guaranteed for our running backs coach

Want to be depressed?  Look at some of the teams who are paying more than we are.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salarie … /assistant

Offline

#4 2019-01-28 19:11:59 - One million dollars guaranteed for our running backs coach

AndreWhere (896)
Member
From: Dunwoody, GA
Registered: 2017-08-24
Posts: 6,894

Re: One million dollars guaranteed for our running backs coach

What happened to the money that paid Fedora, etc. so well? Ran off after the Ellis Johnson hire? If so it's hard to blame them.


Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

Online

#5 2019-01-28 19:19:22 - One million dollars guaranteed for our running backs coach

TheChosenOne (162)
Member
Registered: 2017-08-26
Posts: 488

Re: One million dollars guaranteed for our running backs coach

CUSA TV deal dropped approx $1.5mm - $2MM after Fedora.

Offline

#6 2019-01-28 20:14:45 - One million dollars guaranteed for our running backs coach

AndreWhere (896)
Member
From: Dunwoody, GA
Registered: 2017-08-24
Posts: 6,894

Re: One million dollars guaranteed for our running backs coach

TheChosenOne wrote:

CUSA TV deal dropped approx $1.5mm - $2MM after Fedora.

And basically all of that was subtracted directly out of the budget for football coaches? Sounds like a bad decision more than anything else, if that's what happened.


Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

Online

#7 2019-01-28 21:28:47 - One million dollars guaranteed for our running backs coach

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1054)
Member
From: U.S. Department of Interior
Registered: 2017-08-25
Posts: 3,922

Re: One million dollars guaranteed for our running backs coach

This is the exact reason UCONN is $40 million in the hole as stated in the article posted in another thread. USM can’t get into a financial battle with anyone with an annual operating budget north of $30 million. Honestly, we shouldn’t. Do you believe our RB Coach is worthy of a 5x pay increase? It’s dumb and Southern Miss needs to moneyball every coaching hire going forward in order to survive this latest shift in the FBS landscape. The high school and FCS fields are full of Scotty Waldens.....we need to just keep finding them every year.


"Pressure washers are great for removing deep-seated dirt, grease, peeling paint and even graffiti from concrete, asphalt, siding, decks, lawn furniture, garbage cans, boats and trailers, and outdoor power equipment." - Jon Dilbert, ECU AD

Offline

#8 2019-01-28 21:38:51 - One million dollars guaranteed for our running backs coach

AndreWhere (896)
Member
From: Dunwoody, GA
Registered: 2017-08-24
Posts: 6,894

Re: One million dollars guaranteed for our running backs coach

I don't think we should pay Les half a million per year, but I also don't think our staff should be making less than the staff of 11 years ago. I especially don't think they should be making (taking a guess here, but a good one) about 50% of what that staff did.

A balanced budget is not a deliverable that can be presented to me as a customer. It does nothing for me. UConn's basketball championships are deliverables. ECU's AAC bid was a deliverable. The R-1 designation is a deliverable.

The rest of it falls into the wide, wide world of "shit I don't hear about if other people do their jobs."

Not completely realistic, but that's my take.


Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

Online

#9 2019-01-28 21:40:38 - One million dollars guaranteed for our running backs coach

TheChosenOne (162)
Member
Registered: 2017-08-26
Posts: 488

Re: One million dollars guaranteed for our running backs coach

AndreWhere wrote:
TheChosenOne wrote:

CUSA TV deal dropped approx $1.5mm - $2MM after Fedora.

And basically all of that was subtracted directly out of the budget for football coaches? Sounds like a bad decision more than anything else, if that's what happened.

Total budget is near bottom. So yea, where else can you take away such a significant decline in revenue. Athletics already running on fumes, traditionally salaries are the first hit. Doesn’t mean anyone likes it nor prefers not paying more. As Hop would say, the reality is——

Offline

#10 2019-01-28 21:51:45 - One million dollars guaranteed for our running backs coach

AndreWhere (896)
Member
From: Dunwoody, GA
Registered: 2017-08-24
Posts: 6,894

Re: One million dollars guaranteed for our running backs coach

TheChosenOne wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:
TheChosenOne wrote:

CUSA TV deal dropped approx $1.5mm - $2MM after Fedora.

And basically all of that was subtracted directly out of the budget for football coaches? Sounds like a bad decision more than anything else, if that's what happened.

Total budget is near bottom. So yea, where else can you take away such a significant decline in revenue. Athletics already running on fumes, traditionally salaries are the first hit. Doesn’t mean anyone likes it nor prefers not paying more. As Hop would say, the reality is——

Yeah, Hops would say that... twice cool

Not the first time I've said this, but I think one of USM athletics' problems is the inability (or unwillingness) to distinguish between costs and investments.

It's not always a clear-cut distinction. Rapid-growth organizations tend to portray all spending as investment. That's what MCI WorldCom got in trouble for.

At the other end of the spectrum, you've got USM athletics, an organization that somehow won 12 games with a $1,000,000-per-year head coach and then lost 12 games the next year with an $800,000-per-year coach and yet somehow still doesn't get it.

Ask yourself what would have happened if USM hadn't tried to cheap out in 2012. We're not talking about 400% increases here. Just spend a little more, and tolerate a little more risk that your guy might leave, and you don't go 0-12 and endure all the repercussions that caused.

That kind of money isn't a cost to be studiously offset by popcorn sales and TV revenue. It's an investment in the future. You shouldn't even think about revenue when spending it because it's not a cost in the accounting sense.


Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

Online

Liked by:

#11 2019-01-29 08:31:45 - One million dollars guaranteed for our running backs coach

Mao Tse-gore (148)
Member
Registered: 2017-08-29
Posts: 396

Re: One million dollars guaranteed for our running backs coach

We should only have 4 home games. Hit the road for cash.


We still suck bigtime.

If it's bad they're for it, if it's good they're against it - democrats!

Offline

Liked by:

#12 2019-01-29 08:58:16 - One million dollars guaranteed for our running backs coach

EagleFWB (102)
Member
Registered: 2017-12-05
Posts: 272

Re: One million dollars guaranteed for our running backs coach

Andre I've said the same thing about the transition from Monk to Hop..... We knew we were going to have to pony up some money to keep Monk around, at least get him to a competitive base salary. Instead of going for a new coach knowing we needed that amount of $$, we low ball and get Hop. Nothing against Hop personally, but I don't agree with that move and it's a prime example of  why we never move forward.

Offline

Liked by:

#13 2019-01-29 10:25:59 - One million dollars guaranteed for our running backs coach

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1054)
Member
From: U.S. Department of Interior
Registered: 2017-08-25
Posts: 3,922

Re: One million dollars guaranteed for our running backs coach

EagleFWB wrote:

Andre I've said the same thing about the transition from Monk to Hop..... We knew we were going to have to pony up some money to keep Monk around, at least get him to a competitive base salary. Instead of going for a new coach knowing we needed that amount of $$, we low ball and get Hop. Nothing against Hop personally, but I don't agree with that move and it's a prime example of  why we never move forward.

That move was made due to the timing of the decision. Love Monk but he left at the worst possible time considering signing day and the fact that most programs had settled in with their respective staffs by the time the Bucs came calling. Hop was the safe choice all things considered(cash, knowledge of the program, recruiting area, etc..)
If we had the luxury of time on our side that was afforded to other schools at the time we hired Hop we would have had the opportunity to get a more qualified individual with stronger credentials at a higher FBS level. Remember we were trending up at the time with talent and someone would have seen the opportunity to pull a one and done or a two and out by taking this job and moving up the FBS ladder.


"Pressure washers are great for removing deep-seated dirt, grease, peeling paint and even graffiti from concrete, asphalt, siding, decks, lawn furniture, garbage cans, boats and trailers, and outdoor power equipment." - Jon Dilbert, ECU AD

Offline

#14 2019-01-29 12:42:16 - One million dollars guaranteed for our running backs coach

skyvoyager (44)
Member
Registered: 2017-09-13
Posts: 146

Re: One million dollars guaranteed for our running backs coach

AndreWhere wrote:
TheChosenOne wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

And basically all of that was subtracted directly out of the budget for football coaches? Sounds like a bad decision more than anything else, if that's what happened.

Total budget is near bottom. So yea, where else can you take away such a significant decline in revenue. Athletics already running on fumes, traditionally salaries are the first hit. Doesn’t mean anyone likes it nor prefers not paying more. As Hop would say, the reality is——


At the other end of the spectrum, you've got USM athletics, an organization that somehow won 12 games with a $1,000,000-per-year head coach and then lost 12 games the next year with an $800,000-per-year coach and yet somehow still doesn't get it.

Ask yourself what would have happened if USM hadn't tried to cheap out in 2012. We're not talking about 400% increases here. Just spend a little more, and tolerate a little more risk that your guy might leave, and you don't go 0-12 and endure all the repercussions that caused.

So you are saying if we paid E12loss more he would not have gone 0-12?

Last edited by skyvoyager (2019-01-29 15:02:09)


Everyone has the right to be stupid... It's just that some people abuse the privilege.

Offline

#15 2019-01-29 12:54:23 - One million dollars guaranteed for our running backs coach

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1054)
Member
From: U.S. Department of Interior
Registered: 2017-08-25
Posts: 3,922

Re: One million dollars guaranteed for our running backs coach

skyvoyager wrote:

So your are saying if we paid E12loss more he would not have gone 0-12?

I mean technically we paid Eloss almost 3 million for the 2012 season. Also paid West and Buckley around one million collectively for 2012 as well.....

tenor.gif?itemid=3555049


"Pressure washers are great for removing deep-seated dirt, grease, peeling paint and even graffiti from concrete, asphalt, siding, decks, lawn furniture, garbage cans, boats and trailers, and outdoor power equipment." - Jon Dilbert, ECU AD

Offline

Liked by:

#16 2019-01-29 13:40:31 - One million dollars guaranteed for our running backs coach

EagleFWB (102)
Member
Registered: 2017-12-05
Posts: 272

Re: One million dollars guaranteed for our running backs coach

Just to randomly pick a school....ULL's DC makes twice as much as ours. Troy's OL coach was making almost $100k more than ours.

We've got real problems that somebody up top needs to be solving.

Offline

#17 2019-01-29 13:51:12 - One million dollars guaranteed for our running backs coach

tg300 (414)
Member
Registered: 2017-08-25
Posts: 1,117

Re: One million dollars guaranteed for our running backs coach

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:
EagleFWB wrote:

Andre I've said the same thing about the transition from Monk to Hop..... We knew we were going to have to pony up some money to keep Monk around, at least get him to a competitive base salary. Instead of going for a new coach knowing we needed that amount of $$, we low ball and get Hop. Nothing against Hop personally, but I don't agree with that move and it's a prime example of  why we never move forward.

That move was made due to the timing of the decision. Love Monk but he left at the worst possible time considering signing day and the fact that most programs had settled in with their respective staffs by the time the Bucs came calling. Hop was the safe choice all things considered(cash, knowledge of the program, recruiting area, etc..)
If we had the luxury of time on our side that was afforded to other schools at the time we hired Hop we would have had the opportunity to get a more qualified individual with stronger credentials at a higher FBS level. Remember we were trending up at the time with talent and someone would have seen the opportunity to pull a one and done or a two and out by taking this job and moving up the FBS ladder.

Hop was not choice 1, or 2, or 3.

I can't remember if he was 4 or 5.

Offline

#18 2019-01-29 14:10:50 - One million dollars guaranteed for our running backs coach

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1054)
Member
From: U.S. Department of Interior
Registered: 2017-08-25
Posts: 3,922

Re: One million dollars guaranteed for our running backs coach

EagleFWB wrote:

Just to randomly pick a school....ULL's DC makes twice as much as ours. Troy's OL coach was making almost $100k more than ours.

We've got real problems that somebody up top needs to be solving.

We need to change our perspective first to solve something that is not as big as an issue as its perceived to be on the surface. You can only accomplish this by understanding who you are first as a university. Consider this:

We lost Pecoraro to FAU due to $$$ one year ago. Our defense finished higher with Tim Billings who came from high school in Paris, TX. Pecoraro is now out of a job after one year.

You used ULL's DC as an example. ULL finished #97 in total defense. Money doesn't make them better clearly.

You can be successful by being smart with how you operate. We're all excited about Scotty Walden taking over the offense this year. He is a smart hire that doesn't break the bank. He came from Div 3 East Texas University two years ago. Chip Lindsey was two years removed from High School ball in Birmingham when we hired him. We need to keep building our coaching pipeline through these channels better than the other G5 schools in order to keep our costs low and improve our recruiting and on the field results like our defense did last season. Its possible and we have already proved this works.

We are going to be a revolving door for developing good coaches. Thats the reality of it. Once we accept this we can use this as a strength for quality up and coming talent and benefit by their success. Look at Arkansas St between the years of 2010 and 2014. They had 4 different coaches leading them to double digit wins. They maintained success while understanding who they are as a program. They beat us to the punch with this process. They are a big part of why the Sun Belt is better than CUSA today in revenue and performance.


"Pressure washers are great for removing deep-seated dirt, grease, peeling paint and even graffiti from concrete, asphalt, siding, decks, lawn furniture, garbage cans, boats and trailers, and outdoor power equipment." - Jon Dilbert, ECU AD

Offline

#19 2019-01-29 14:18:03 - One million dollars guaranteed for our running backs coach

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1054)
Member
From: U.S. Department of Interior
Registered: 2017-08-25
Posts: 3,922

Re: One million dollars guaranteed for our running backs coach

tg300 wrote:

Hop was not choice 1, or 2, or 3.

I can't remember if he was 4 or 5.

Agree. I can't remember if this was the vacancy where we almost pulled the trigger on Doug Nussmeier or not. I don't think he was going to be the guy especially considering how horrible the Fla offense was under him. Regardless, the number of potential candidates available was greatly reduced by the time Monken quit end of January. Lets not forget who our AD was at the time. He was totally over his head and not the right guy to help navigate the search process at the time.


"Pressure washers are great for removing deep-seated dirt, grease, peeling paint and even graffiti from concrete, asphalt, siding, decks, lawn furniture, garbage cans, boats and trailers, and outdoor power equipment." - Jon Dilbert, ECU AD

Offline

Liked by:

#20 2019-01-29 14:33:36 - One million dollars guaranteed for our running backs coach

AndreWhere (896)
Member
From: Dunwoody, GA
Registered: 2017-08-24
Posts: 6,894

Re: One million dollars guaranteed for our running backs coach

I think the "young coaches" thing is real, but it is also some good luck that will, unfortunately, even out over time.


Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

Online

Board footer