CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#21 2017-09-24 11:54:33 - New CUSA TV Contract Will Be "Significantly" Less!

southern miss slacker (304)

Re: New CUSA TV Contract Will Be "Significantly" Less!

99beers wrote:

We will end up paying to be on TV......  Or, you will pay a lot to watch.

not me.

#22 2017-09-24 12:00:05 - New CUSA TV Contract Will Be "Significantly" Less!

AndreWhere (1252)

Black Diamond Reb wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

I feel like we'd get a lot more than $200,000 if we negotiated our own TV deal. Get us on WHLT, WXXV, and maybe one or two more channels.  Doesn't need to be fancy. Just pipe Cox / Roberts over a two or three camera video feed. I don't know if we're allowed to do this, but it'd probably work a lot better than packaging ourselves with every damned corner-of-the-state university on the planet.

Who's gonna pay for the air time .. Keg and Barrel only needs so many ads.

I'd imagine it'd be the same people those stations sell advertisements to now, along with some of our radio advertisers.

Saturday isn't exactly a valuable day for TV, outside of college football. We'd be more of a draw than whatever Andy Griffith spinoff is getting shown now.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#23 2017-09-24 12:04:13 - New CUSA TV Contract Will Be "Significantly" Less!

Black Diamond Reb (418)

AndreWhere wrote:

I'd imagine we'd be more of a draw than whatever Andy Griffith spinoff is getting shown.

I suspect there are significantly more Andy Griffith fans than flamingo watchers.

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#24 2017-09-24 12:05:38 - New CUSA TV Contract Will Be "Significantly" Less!

AndreWhere (1252)

Black Diamond Reb wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

I'd imagine we'd be more of a draw than whatever Andy Griffith spinoff is getting shown.

I suspect there are significantly more Andy Griffith fans than flamingo watchers.

Yeah... but we're still making new episodes. How many times can you watch them bitch about Aunt Bea's pickles before the jokes don't work on you anymore?

#25 2017-09-24 12:07:00 - New CUSA TV Contract Will Be "Significantly" Less!

beagle (173)

I bet WHMP (Hattiesburg Fox station) would jump at that shit in a second. However, it'd probably hurt home attendance. Would just give people more of a reason to stay at home.

I'd love it for road games though. For football games, stream it through Stadium and put in on WHMP. For basketball and baseball games, pick up the visiting team's stream and sync it up with USM audio.

"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#26 2017-09-24 12:09:58 - New CUSA TV Contract Will Be "Significantly" Less!

Black Diamond Reb (418)

AndreWhere wrote:

How many times can you watch them bitch about Aunt Bea's pickles before the jokes don't work on you anymore?

More often than the flamingos playing SUNWACUSA of the week in Antelope Range Oklahoma.

"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."

#27 2017-09-24 12:12:28 - New CUSA TV Contract Will Be "Significantly" Less!

AndreWhere (1252)

Black Diamond Reb wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

How many times can you watch them bitch about Aunt Bea's pickles before the jokes don't work on you anymore?

More often than the flamingos playing SUNWACUSA of the week in Antelope Range Oklahoma.

We'd be lucky to get a conference game that far East.

Man, fuck CUSA and the lazy pederasts who thought it was a good idea.

#28 2017-09-24 12:30:30 - New CUSA TV Contract Will Be "Significantly" Less!

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

We don’t need to be negotiating a TV deal period. It’s worthless in its current form anyway. We have more lucrative options available by negotiating a content deal with any number of streaming video providers on the left coast. USM should package all content (all sports, arts, commencements, press conferences, etc) under one provider. Sell it like a SaaS product with a monthly subscription fee. USM will then have a new source of recurring revenue. Make it an add on fee for students. Include it free with all season ticket purchases for sports and the arts. You don’t get to choose content, you get all of it for the school year, just choose what you want to watch. YouTube, PlayStation, Hulu, Apple,Pluto, Layer3, Amazon, etc...it’s where access is heading. The way we watch sports is changing at an alarming rate and at a much more affordable cost, even free. I pay $10 a month for Netflix I will gladly pay $10 a month for USM content that gets me baseball, arts, home football, etc....Get ahead of it now.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#29 2017-09-24 12:35:35 - New CUSA TV Contract Will Be "Significantly" Less!

Black Diamond Reb (418)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

USM should package all content under one provider.

Yeah, like IMG or someone.

When does that stroke of brilliance expire?

#30 2017-09-24 12:42:33 - New CUSA TV Contract Will Be "Significantly" Less!

AndreWhere (1252)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

We don’t need to be negotiating a TV deal period. It’s worthless in its current form anyway. We have more lucrative options available by negotiating a content deal with any number of streaming video providers on the left coast. USM should package all content (all sports, arts, commencements, press conferences, etc) under one provider. Sell it like a SaaS product with a monthly subscription fee. USM will then have a new source of recurring revenue. Make it an add on fee for students. Include it free with all season ticket purchases for sports and the arts. You don’t get to choose content, you get all of it for the school year, just choose what you want to watch. YouTube, PlayStation, Hulu, Apple,Pluto, Layer3, Amazon, etc...it’s where access is heading. The way we watch sports is changing at an alarming rate and at a much more affordable cost, even free. I pay $10 a month for Netflix I will gladly pay $10 a month for USM content that gets me baseball, arts, home football, etc....Get ahead of it now.

No. That's just turning us into more of a niche thing. People already think we're weirdos for not just picking an SEC team to follow.

I've said it thousands of times, and I'll say it again: CUSA is killing our university.

#31 2017-09-24 12:47:45 - New CUSA TV Contract Will Be "Significantly" Less!

beagle (173)

AndreWhere wrote:

I've said it thousands of times, and I'll say it again: CUSA is killing our university.

It is. People don't get that it also has a negative effect on the university as a whole (not just athletics). Good students don't want to come to USM because of shitty athletics (greek life and athletics are the driving force in these decisions, professional programs are secondary, contrary to what most believe). It also impacts alumni giving. Big-time athletics engage the alumni base, keeps them interested.

A move to the AAC might help alumni giving some, but to your average Gulf South high schooler, CUSA is just as bad as the AAC.

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#32 2017-09-24 12:47:58 - New CUSA TV Contract Will Be "Significantly" Less!

Black Diamond Reb (418)

AndreWhere wrote:

CUSA is killing our university.

Here's the chairman of the board.

Rodney_Bennett.jpg

http://www.southernmiss.com/genrel/0626 … appref=std

#33 2017-09-24 13:10:15 - New CUSA TV Contract Will Be "Significantly" Less!

AndreWhere (1252)

beagle wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

It is. People don't get that it also has a negative effect on the university as a whole (not just athletics). Good students don't want to come to USM because of shitty athletics (greek life and athletics are the driving force in these decisions, professional programs are secondary, contrary to what most believe). It also impacts alumni giving. Big-time athletics engage the alumni base, keeps them interested.

A move to the AAC might help alumni giving some, but to your average Gulf South high schooler, CUSA is just as bad as the AAC.

Can't agree with that last part. The AAC was on real TV (not Facebook or whatever) all day Saturday. The schools are also far more recognizable. People know UConn, Temple, Navy, etc. far more often than they know most CUSA schools. Getting into the AAC would have been big. Giannini, among others,  pretended that wasn't the case.

I know it won't happen but I wish we were still independent.

#34 2017-09-24 13:12:59 - New CUSA TV Contract Will Be "Significantly" Less!

beagle (173)

AndreWhere wrote:
beagle wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

Can't agree with that last part. The AAC was on real TV (not Facebook or whatever) all day Saturday. The schools are also far more recognizable. People know UConn, Temple, Navy, etc. far more often than they know most CUSA schools. Getting into the AAC would have been big. Giannini, among others,  pretended that wasn't the case.

I know it won't happen but I wish we were still independent.

To your hardcore CFB fan, yeah. But to a prospective student from suburban Mobile or Gulfport, there's not much of a difference between Louisiana Tech and UCF.

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#35 2017-09-24 13:24:42 - New CUSA TV Contract Will Be "Significantly" Less!

admin (289)
Administrator

beagle wrote:

To your hardcore CFB fan, yeah. But to a prospective student from suburban Mobile or Gulfport, there's not much of a difference between Louisiana Tech and UCF.

I don't know, man. At this point, the names pretty much betray how weak we are. You don't have to be Mel Kiper to realize that the University of Connecticut and Navy are at a higher level than Middle Tennessee State or North Texas. It's pretty obvious.

I know people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, but there are too many directional schools in CUSA. I'm pretty sure the only schools with directions in their names in I-A (excluding state names) were us and USC for quite a while. Then it exploded, and damaged our brand.

#36 2017-09-24 16:33:18 - New CUSA TV Contract Will Be "Significantly" Less!

Mao Tse-gore (412)

Black Diamond Reb wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

CUSA is killing our university.

Here's the chairman of the board.

Rodney_Bennett.jpg

http://www.southernmiss.com/genrel/0626 … appref=std

And he is aiming toward a handout/subsidy from the NCAA. Not many options.

We still suck bigtime.
There's a big difference between optimism and an altered state of reality.
Not another dime, not another mile, not another minute.
MSFlag.gif

#37 2017-09-27 21:48:02 - New CUSA TV Contract Will Be "Significantly" Less!

beagle (173)

Next TV deal will be worth $2 and a used Ward's coupon.

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#38 2017-09-28 08:54:35 - New CUSA TV Contract Will Be "Significantly" Less!

TheHeadEagle (27)

Honestly,  why does our conference deserve any contract at all.  It's appealing to nobody.....not even it's own fans.  It's a joke.   This is depressing on so many levels but not surprising in the least bit.

#39 2017-09-28 11:43:23 - New CUSA TV Contract Will Be "Significantly" Less!

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

I have a question........."If" 10,000 fans between North Texas and Southern Miss sign up on Saturday for the day pass on CUSA TV, where does that 70K in revenue go? Is it shared revenue across the entire conference at the end of the year after CUSA takes out its part for expenses and operating cost? If that's the case.......and the new tv rights deal is "significantly less" than the 200K we get today for tv revenue....I would think we would get equal, if not more, streaming revenue if USM hosted their own online broadcast of our home games at $10 per buy without impacting gate revenue.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#40 2017-09-28 11:57:33 - New CUSA TV Contract Will Be "Significantly" Less!

beagle (173)

Y'all ever pump gas and watch GSTV (Gas Station TV)? That's what our games will be on in the next TV deal. All the remaining fans we have will be crowded around the Shell station on Hardy watching USM play Armadillo.

- PW Underwood (RIP)

Board footer