CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#13 2019-07-19 13:39:37 - CUSA Media Day Interview Today

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1114)

Re: CUSA Media Day Interview Today

The two QB comments were the biggest takeaway from the media day discussion but does it really mean anything? Those comments were directed for two people only, Jack and Tate. Is Hop correct that we finished strong when we played both down the stretch, yes, but I can't separate that from Hops/Dawsons debacle of Griggs and Howard his second season. Griggs had the upside, Howard had Hops loyalty, so both played and we never found consistency on offense as a result. Can you factor in that year 1 and 2 were rookie mistakes for a new coaching staff coming off of Monkens recruits? Maybe. Last season was just odd but not surprising. Have a young team lose to ULM at home but hang with Auburn on the road. Lose to Charlotte but take the auto brokers to OT. If Griggs doesn't get railroaded three weeks before the season starts I believe we have 8 wins instead of six which doesn't mean much with that weak schedule. We had no consistency or identity all season but we started to show something in November. Will Dawsons exit give us the freedom to open up on offense this season?

Two weeks ago I had the pleasure of meeting our Co O coordinator and his wife while waiting to pickup my wife and daughter at the airport. It took me a minute to figure out who I was recognizing with the Southern Miss Adidas backpack waiting for luggage at baggage claim. I decided to just say a quick hello as a USM alum. A quick hello turned into a few minutes of talk about family, football, Bower, Hop, the team, etc.... He wasn't going to just let me say hello and wish him well this season. First impression was how well spoken and grounded he is, especially considering how young he is. You can't help but want him to make the most of this opportunity for him and Faulkner. You know he has been waiting for this chance and you have to believe they will make the most of it without fear of failure. Experience alone will elevate our offense this year. The OL will provide a dramatically improved running game. As long as the defense shows up and dare I say improves even more, we are going to have a great season.........its almost foolproof......

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#14 2019-07-19 15:57:11 - CUSA Media Day Interview Today

Black Diamond Reb (306)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

We are going to have a great season.

This should end well

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#15 2019-07-19 20:10:58 - CUSA Media Day Interview Today

Bleacher Eagle (14)

We were 6 points from 9-2 and two TD's from being 10-1.

I hate this type hypothetical thinking. We were also 3 points away from being 4-7. It can always go both ways.

#16 2019-07-19 20:18:07 - CUSA Media Day Interview Today

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1114)

Bleacher Eagle wrote:

We were 6 points from 9-2 and two TD's from being 10-1.

I hate this type hypothetical thinking. We were also 3 points away from being 4-7. It can always go both ways.

Agree 1000%......Griggs situation cost us an experienced skill position leader and probably two games but 8 wins with a weak schedule does nothing for our program and seems to be our peak under Hop until proven otherwise.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#17 2019-07-19 20:39:01 - CUSA Media Day Interview Today

SoMs Eagle (88)

Tanya wrote:

I’ve never seen a good coaching staff at any level head into August without a clear leader at QB.

This your first year watching football?

One thing our fans are good at is panicking.
All the ‘Mel Kipers’ on here don’t know chit. The same ones that are missing Mullins are the same ones that said he wasn’t a D1 QB. Tate’s just a true soph who saw some game time last year and showed flashes of potential.
Back up from the ledge....

#18 2019-07-20 10:05:32 - CUSA Media Day Interview Today

Tanya (21)

SoMs Eagle wrote:
Tanya wrote:

I’ve never seen a good coaching staff at any level head into August without a clear leader at QB.

This your first year watching football?

One thing our fans are good at is panicking.
All the ‘Mel Kipers’ on here don’t know chit. The same ones that are missing Mullins are the same ones that said he wasn’t a D1 QB. Tate’s just a true soph who saw some game time last year and showed flashes of potential.
Back up from the ledge....

No

Board footer