CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#21 2017-09-27 19:06:28 - Rick Pitino being fired...rumors Jurich quit too.....

AndreWhere (1252)

Re: Rick Pitino being fired...rumors Jurich quit too.....

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

I'm having a hard time understanding this whole Louisville scandal. Seems like several scandals going on at once. What's the deal with the tailor with the Arabic-sounding name, for example? Is he just someone who got discovered serendipitously, or did he have something to do with Adidas? There's a lot going on here, and if it all kind of fizzles I won't be shocked. Wouldn't be the first time the feds skulked around somewhere for a while collecting miscellaneous shit on people and then tried to conglomerate it all into a bigger deal than it actually was.

The feds announcement y(esterday was basically just the beginning of what is about to be discovered. The feds anticpate the coaches, financial advisors and shoe company execs to sing like a bird in order to avoid serious jail time. The charges against the first handful of coaches arrested are punishable up to 80 years since its a federal crime. The feds busted one of the financial advisors and had him work with an undercover FBI agent to meet with coaches and negotiate deals for high school recruits. If it is discovered that Pitino approved or had knowledge of the 100k payment to his player, he will be prosecuted by the feds. I expect Bruce Pearl to get the axe here next.

I'm no fan of "University Six," but that sounds like a bit of a witchhunt.

One article mentioned bribery charges. "Bribery" generally refers to paying a public servant to act in a way that might not be in the public interest. The public servant is guilty of corruption or malfeasance.

Bribery might also cover paying someone with a fiduciary duty to someone else money to act against that person's interest. Paying a kid to go play amateur basketball somewhere definitely violates the rules of the NCAA, IOC, AAC, etc., but I fail to see where it's bribery.

Now, one could argue that giving a University Six coach money to steer students to some fancy tailor constitutes inducing a state employee to act against the state's interest in promoting the welfare of its students. If the student is still an amateur and a student, that might hold water. If he's already declared for the draft, it's pretty easy to argue that the tailor was just spending money on marketing. Paying, say, Ed Orgeron money to tell me to go to a certain car stealership is 100% legal.

In any case, I fail to see what Adidas has done wrong, other than helping some people break NCAA rules. I don't think that's criminal.

Could be they're trying to build the whole thing into a RICO case. That law is vague enough to encompass almost anything.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#22 2017-09-27 19:15:13 - Rick Pitino being fired...rumors Jurich quit too.....

SoMs Eagle (189)

admin wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

I'm having a hard time understanding this whole Louisville scandal. Seems like several scandals going on at once. What's the deal with the tailor with the Arabic-sounding name, for example? Is he just someone who got discovered serendipitously, or did he have something to do with Adidas? There's a lot going on here, and if it all kind of fizzles I won't be shocked. Wouldn't be the first time the feds skulked around somewhere for a while collecting miscellaneous shit on people and then tried to conglomerate it all into a bigger deal than it actually was.

The feds announcement y(esterday was basically just the beginning of what is about to be discovered. The feds anticpate the coaches, financial advisors and shoe company execs to sing like a bird in order to avoid serious jail time. The charges against the first handful of coaches arrested are punishable up to 80 years since its a federal crime. The feds busted one of the financial advisors and had him work with an undercover FBI agent to meet with coaches and negotiate deals for high school recruits. If it is discovered that Pitino approved or had knowledge of the 100k payment to his player, he will be prosecuted by the feds. I expect Bruce Pearl to get the axe here next.

I'm no fan of "University Six," but that sounds like a bit of a witchhunt. "Bribery" generally refers to paying a public servant to act in a way that might not be in the public interest. It might also cover paying someone with a fiduciary duty to someone else money to act against that person's interest. Paying a kid to go play amateur basketball somewhere definitely violates the rules of the NCAA, IOC, AAC, etc., but I fail to see where it's bribery.

Now, one could argue that giving a University Six coach money to steer students to some fancy tailor constitutes inducing a state employee to act against the state's interest in promoting the welfare of its students. If the student is still an amateur and a student, that might hold water. If he's already declared for the draft, it's pretty easy to argue that the tailor was just spending money on marketing. Paying, say, Ed Orgeron money to tell me to go to a certain car stealership is 100% legal.

In any case, I fail to see what Adidas has done wrong, other than helping some people break NCAA rules. I don't think that's criminal.

Could be they're trying to build the whole thing into a RICO case. That law is vague enough to encompass almost anything.

Paying someone money out of the coffers of a publicly held co and putting on the books that the payment was for something else is problematic at the least. You don't enter a debit as "bribe" or "money under the table to avoid paying taxes". The only reason to hide stuff is you're doing something you know you shouldn't. I still say in the end the IRS could be the big player just as in the Alabama-Albert Means case. The question being, who paid the taxes on all these hundreds of thousands of dollars?
Another interesting point brought up; what if the NCAA knew of this and did not investigate further or report it to the authorities?

#23 2017-09-27 19:17:44 - Rick Pitino being fired...rumors Jurich quit too.....

AndreWhere (1252)

SoMs Eagle wrote:

Paying someone money out of the coffers of a publicly held co and putting on the books that the payment was for something else is problematic at the least. You don't enter a debit as "bribe" or "money under the table to avoid paying taxes". The only reason to hide stuff is you're doing something you know you shouldn't. I still say in the end the IRS could be the big player just as in the Alabama-Albert Means case. The question being, who paid the taxes on all these hundreds of thousands of dollars?
Another interesting point brought up; what if the NCAA knew of this and did not investigate further or report it to the authorities?

You're right. There's definitely an accounting fraud / Sarbanes-Oxley angle the feds can attack. Should have thought about that.

#24 2017-09-28 05:12:38 - Rick Pitino being fired...rumors Jurich quit too.....

TheDudeAbides (59)

Eaglebird Humperdink wrote:
TheDudeAbides wrote:

Dis basketball shit be gettin real. Auburn is now proactively offering rebates on basketball tickets. Rumor is ax is getting ready to fall.

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-ba … -body.html

Nothing about rebates here. It says basketball tix sold out for 4th consecutive year. Individual tix go on sale Oct. 28. Why in hell would you offer a rebate on something that is already sold?

AL.com reporting Auburn giving refunds on men’s basketball season tickets due to Coach Chuck Persons involvement in FBI investigation...SBGR.

#25 2017-09-28 07:52:04 - Rick Pitino being fired...rumors Jurich quit too.....

Eaglebird Humperdink (142)

TheDudeAbides wrote:
TheDudeAbides wrote:

Dis basketball shit be gettin real. Auburn is now proactively offering rebates on basketball tickets. Rumor is ax is getting ready to fall.

Nothing about rebates here. It says basketball tix sold out for 4th consecutive year. Individual tix go on sale Oct. 28. Why in hell would you offer a rebate on something that is already sold?

AL.com reporting Auburn giving refunds on men’s basketball season tickets due to Coach Chuck Persons involvement in FBI investigation...SBGR.

Ok, I see. Not "offering rebates", but granted "full refunds" to a few Auburn fans who had already purchased their season tickets, and called to complain. The headline is misleading / sensationalized, because it states that Auburn is "offering" the refunds. Here is the link:

#26 2017-09-28 08:47:11 - Rick Pitino being fired...rumors Jurich quit too.....

tg300 (439)

TheDudeAbides wrote:

Ok, I see. Not "offering rebates", but granted "full refunds" to a few Auburn fans who had already purchased their season tickets, and called to complain. The headline is misleading / sensationalized, because it states that Auburn is "offering" the refunds. Here is the link:

Where?

#27 2017-09-28 08:51:18 - Rick Pitino being fired...rumors Jurich quit too.....

TheHeadEagle (27)

AndreWhere wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

I'm no fan of "University Six," but that sounds like a bit of a witchhunt.

One article mentioned bribery charges. "Bribery" generally refers to paying a public servant to act in a way that might not be in the public interest. The public servant is guilty of corruption or malfeasance.

Bribery might also cover paying someone with a fiduciary duty to someone else money to act against that person's interest. Paying a kid to go play amateur basketball somewhere definitely violates the rules of the NCAA, IOC, AAC, etc., but I fail to see where it's bribery.

I was thinking the same thing.  I mean, no harm was done to anyone here...there are no victims except maybe the other schools that were recruiting these players.  I agree this was wrong on many many levels but jeez, they act like they were running a prostitution ring or something.

#28 2017-09-28 12:39:50 - Rick Pitino being fired...rumors Jurich quit too.....

Eaglebird Humperdink (142)

tg300 wrote:
TheDudeAbides wrote:

Where?

Sorry. Bad link. It was on al.com front page, but it appears they removed the story.

#29 2017-09-28 15:24:12 - Rick Pitino being fired...rumors Jurich quit too.....

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

You know Petrino is as good as gone now that his only defender has been canned.

They'll circle the wagons around Petrino. He's the best thing they have going these days.

Interesting clause in Petrino's contract. It actually has a clause that if Jurich is fired Petrino's buyout is reduced by 50%. His current buyout is 8 million but will drop to 4 million once Jurich is officially fired. I imagine if Tennessee wants him, both schools will negotiate an even lower number.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st … ich-ousted

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#30 2017-09-28 21:10:20 - Rick Pitino being fired...rumors Jurich quit too.....

USMstang (303)

I'd have to believe that there's also a clause that says certain illegal, immoral, or unethical activities negate all that buyout shit.  If not, they are as fuckin stupid as the USM attorneys/contract writers (because we are probably so poor that we don't have attorneys for that shit so we pull in some friends of some car dealers to do it).

Still sleeping with a Dixie Darling!

#31 2017-09-28 21:11:57 - Rick Pitino being fired...rumors Jurich quit too.....

southern miss slacker (304)

Petino can now join Tyndall in about a year on the 10 year show cause wrestling tour.

#32 2017-09-28 21:14:04 - Rick Pitino being fired...rumors Jurich quit too.....

admin (289)
Administrator

southern miss slacker wrote:

Petino can now join Tyndall in about a year on the 10 year show cause wrestling tour.

Maybe they can both get a job at the Wade O'Connor Club for Basketball-Curious Youths.

#33 2017-09-28 21:16:55 - Rick Pitino being fired...rumors Jurich quit too.....

USMstang (303)

I believe I'd go corch in Europe or something.  Like a country full of hot chicks and guns...so that leaves Switzerland huh?  Or Israel...

Last edited by USMstang (2017-09-28 21:17:38)

#34 2017-09-28 21:37:18 - Rick Pitino being fired...rumors Jurich quit too.....

GawdFearinEagle (14)

USMstang wrote:

hot chicks and guns...so that leaves Switzerland huh?  Or Israel...

Oloh, MS has that.

Last edited by GawdFearinEagle (2017-09-28 21:37:29)

#35 2017-09-28 21:42:58 - Rick Pitino being fired...rumors Jurich quit too.....

tg300 (439)

GawdFearinEagle wrote:
USMstang wrote:

hot chicks and guns...so that leaves Switzerland huh?  Or Israel...

Oloh, MS has that.

At least the guns. He’s been drinking.

#36 2017-09-28 21:47:31 - Rick Pitino being fired...rumors Jurich quit too.....

USMstang (303)

I think the show cause will include rural Mississippi as well.

#37 2017-09-28 21:53:42 - Rick Pitino being fired...rumors Jurich quit too.....

that petino is a piece of work. John Chaney had him pegged right all along years ago.

#38 2017-09-29 00:06:00 - Rick Pitino being fired...rumors Jurich quit too.....

"these allegations come as a complete shock to me" - Rick POStino

#39 2017-09-29 05:41:14 - Rick Pitino being fired...rumors Jurich quit too.....

AndreWhere (1252)

Isn't this the dude who got in trouble for fucking a Ruby Tuesday waitress (or whatever) right on the table?

Sure hope they bought a new table... you know they probably didn't, though.

#40 2017-09-29 06:38:59 - Rick Pitino being fired...rumors Jurich quit too.....

GawdFearinEagle (14)

AndreWhere wrote:

Isn't this the dude who got in trouble for fucking a Ruby Tuesday waitress (or whatever) right on the table?

Sure hope they bought a new table... you know they probably didn't, though.

This chick:
amd-karen-sypher-jpg.jpg

6/10 at best.  Not sure if she was a waitress or just some chick who happened to be at Applebee's or whatever.

Sad thing is, Pitino didn't really get in trouble. She did. Pitino, thus far, seems to be coated in Teflon.

Board footer