CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#21 2017-10-26 11:28:47 - Gilbert Speaks

beagle (173)

Re: Gilbert Speaks

If you really think P5 teams and AAC teams will be lining up to play USM if we went indy, you really don't have a clue re: scheduling. We'd be playing Army, Liberty, UMass, NMSU.

"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#22 2017-10-26 11:31:00 - Gilbert Speaks

99beers (303)

beagle wrote:

If you really think P5 teams and AAC teams will be lining up to play USM if we went indy, you really don't have a clue re: scheduling. We'd be playing Army, Liberty, UMass, NMSU.

So, you buy into the bullshit fed you?   Who told you that we couldn't line up mid level P5 and AAC?  You read that on the internet?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Georgia Tech SwagFag can eat zombie feces...loser. #PoundSand

#23 2017-10-26 11:34:26 - Gilbert Speaks

TheChosenOne (295)

Beers, not agreeing or disagreeing BUT we’ve yet to schedule those you’ve mentioned. Haven’t a clue if we can or can’t however haven’t to date

#24 2017-10-26 11:41:16 - Gilbert Speaks

beagle (173)

99beers wrote:
beagle wrote:

So, you buy into the bullshit fed you?   Who told you that we couldn't line up mid level P5 and AAC?  You read that on the internet?

Because I understand football scheduling. It's one of the few things where I actually understand what I'm talking about.

You don't think we'd be inking deals with P5 and AAC schools right now if we could? No one worth a shit is going to play us in Hattiesburg. No one in CUSA, except Old Dominion (because they're in a very good area for recruiting and the VA Legislature basically makes UVA/VT play them), is playing P5 or AAC teams at home every year. Our best bet is to get a deal 1-1 or 2-1 deal with some big-name team and play them with our home game in New Orleans or yes, Jackson.

Indy isn't as crazy of an idea as it was 8-10 years ago. But I'm still against it because of scheduling and the loss of the access bowl.

Last edited by beagle (2017-10-26 11:41:54)

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#25 2017-10-26 11:42:08 - Gilbert Speaks

99beers (303)

My point is, it can happen with the proper people in place.   It's easy to say we contacted them once.  ONCE.   They said no.  I didn't say it would be easy, but the got to schedule games OOC.....FACT.  If we are not in that mix, it's simply because of lack of effort and excuses.   

Some SEC OOC
Vandy - Mid Tn St, W. KY
Ark - Famu, New Mex State, Coastal Car.
Missouri - missouri st, Idaho, Uconn
S. Car - La Tech, Wofford

Just some examples.  For the AAC it's even more important to schedule quality games.

#26 2017-10-26 11:48:13 - Gilbert Speaks

99beers (303)

beagle wrote:

You don't think we'd be inking deals with P5 and AAC schools right now if we could? No one worth a shit is going to play us in Hattiesburg. No one in CUSA, except Old Dominion (because they're in a very good area for recruiting and the VA Legislature basically makes UVA/VT play them), is playing P5 or AAC teams at home every year..

You just backed up what I am saying.........  Nobody in CUSA

We need to get out of this shit league.  It's dragged us down to nothing......forcing us to play Charlotte, and the likes......   

We don't have the flexibility to schedule now, like we would as an independent.  And fuck the access bowl shit........  worthless in our current situation. 

Try again.

#27 2017-10-26 11:49:55 - Gilbert Speaks

99beers (303)

beagle wrote:

Because I understand football scheduling. It's one of the few things where I actually understand what I'm talking about.

No, you really don't......  Or you wouldn't have spouted all the bullshit you have been force fed.  Period.

#28 2017-10-26 11:55:04 - Gilbert Speaks

beagle (173)

99beers wrote:
beagle wrote:

You don't think we'd be inking deals with P5 and AAC schools right now if we could? No one worth a shit is going to play us in Hattiesburg. No one in CUSA, except Old Dominion (because they're in a very good area for recruiting and the VA Legislature basically makes UVA/VT play them), is playing P5 or AAC teams at home every year..

We need to get out of this shit league.  It's dragged us down to nothing......forcing us to play Charlotte, and the likes......   

We don't have the flexibility to schedule now, like we would as an independent.  And fuck the access bowl shit........  worthless in our current situation. 

Try again.

We'd still be a CUSA-level program if we went indy. The perception of Southern Miss wouldn't change if we left the conference. USM would still be a broke ass directional school that peaked in the late 90s.

We might have be able to schedule 3 $$$ games instead of 1, but once you get into October or November, it's near impossible to schedule unless your name is ND or BYU.

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#29 2017-10-26 12:56:01 - Gilbert Speaks

Mao Tse-gore (412)

beagle wrote:
99beers wrote:
beagle wrote:

Try again.

We'd still be a CUSA-level program if we went indy. The perception of Southern Miss wouldn't change if we left the conference. USM would still be a broke ass directional school that peaked in the late 90s.

We might have be able to schedule 3 $$$ games instead of 1, but once you get into October or November, it's near impossible to schedule unless your name is ND or BYU.

Eaglexit might work, it might not work, but at least our carcass would be twitching. And this is the sort of bold/out-of-box thinking you'd expect our "leadership" to have the stomach and energy for.

We still suck bigtime.
There's a big difference between optimism and an altered state of reality.
Not another dime, not another mile, not another minute.
MSFlag.gif

Liked by:

#30 2017-10-26 13:39:24 - Gilbert Speaks

AndreWhere (1252)

beagle wrote:

Army > ODU

Liberty > FAU

UMass > FIU

NMSU > UTSA

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#31 2017-10-26 14:04:50 - Gilbert Speaks

TheChosenOne (295)

AndreWhere wrote:
beagle wrote:

Army > ODU

Liberty > FAU

UMass > FIU

NMSU > UTSA

Yea that schedule will pack the rock. TTT

#32 2017-10-26 14:08:22 - Gilbert Speaks

TheChosenOne (295)

AndreWhere wrote:
beagle wrote:

Army > ODU

Liberty > FAU

UMass > FIU

NMSU > UTSA

Btw host team for conference games doesn’t cost anything. How much will those similiar programs cost to bring in?

All for new ideas but let’s weigh risk /reward.  Unintended consequences is the largest hurdle

#33 2017-10-26 14:15:39 - Gilbert Speaks

AndreWhere (1252)

TheChosenOne wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:
beagle wrote:

Army > ODU

Liberty > FAU

UMass > FIU

NMSU > UTSA

Btw host team for conference games doesn’t cost anything. How much will those similiar programs cost to bring in?

All for new ideas but let’s weigh risk /reward.  Unintended consequences is the largest hurdle

It's not really a new idea. It's what we did before Giannini came in with his cockamamie AAA baseball mentality: fewer home games and more lucrative games at P5 schools. Take on all comers and if you can win, say, 7 games against that kind of schedule, then you've actually accomplished something.

It's the opposite of the Giannini model, which was obsessed with ending the supposed scourges of four-home-game seasons and missing out on bowl season. We've done it RG's way for twenty years now, and I think we can safely say it doesn't work. We need to act on that fact.

#34 2017-10-26 14:33:09 - Gilbert Speaks

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

Independent.jpeg

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#35 2017-10-26 14:33:56 - Gilbert Speaks

TheChosenOne (295)

For those not attending homes games i suppose fewer home games is acceptable. For those who enjoy attending, fewer home games isn’t a preferred option.

#36 2017-10-26 14:47:18 - Gilbert Speaks

TheHeadEagle (27)

99beers wrote:

My point is, it can happen with the proper people in place.   It's easy to say we contacted them once.  ONCE.   They said no.  I didn't say it would be easy, but the got to schedule games OOC.....FACT.  If we are not in that mix, it's simply because of lack of effort and excuses.   

Some SEC OOC
Vandy - Mid Tn St, W. KY
Ark - Famu, New Mex State, Coastal Car.
Missouri - missouri st, Idaho, Uconn
S. Car - La Tech, Wofford

Just some examples.  For the AAC it's even more important to schedule quality games.

We're not going Indy.   Forget it, waste of time arguing this.

#37 2017-10-26 14:49:43 - Gilbert Speaks

AndreWhere (1252)

TheChosenOne wrote:

For those not attending homes games i suppose fewer home games is acceptable. For those who enjoy attending, fewer home games isn’t a preferred option.

I go to plenty of games. I've seen USM play in Houston, Biloxi, Birmingham, Mobile, Memphis, and New Orleans. Most of those games had more people in attendance than you'll ever see at MM Roberts.

USM does not equal Hattiesburg, and whatever claim the locals had on USM evaporated when Sweet Peppers and the townies stabbed us in the back. Frankly, you (and I don't mean you personally, but I do mean people who make your argument collectively) have not earned six home football games. We tried that path, and you didn't show up and you voted down a stadium expansion at a very critical point in time.

Besides, home games now are depressing. I went to the Southern University game because SWAC games are fun. I went to the New Orleans Bowl because games against ULL in the Dome are fun. I went to our home games against Houston and Louisville back in the day because they were fun. UAB at home in front of 21,000 people struggling to hear a broken sound system, on the other hand, just isn't enjoyable.

As for going out of a sense of obligation, I'm 100% done with that. People aren't buying that shit and we need to stop trying to sell it.

To me, that's what's particularly bad about that "all in" crap. It's the same old sad sack, hat-in-hand mentality we've had since Fedora left. We need to lose that shit yesterday, and lose the AAA baseball crackerbox stadium mentality, and start cracking skulls again.

#38 2017-10-26 15:00:15 - Gilbert Speaks

Eaglebird Humperdink (142)

TheHeadEagle wrote:

We're not going Indy.   Forget it, waste of time arguing this.

It's more interesting, and no less productive than discussing how to get people fired up about Conference Bottom-Third.

#39 2017-10-26 15:54:54 - Gilbert Speaks

99beers (303)

beagle wrote:
99beers wrote:
beagle wrote:

Try again.

Just to prove you have no idea what you are talking about concerning scheduling:
Ark: Nov 4 Coastal carolina
Ole Miss: Nov 11 ULL
Georgia: Nov 25 Ga tech
S.Car: Nov 18 Wofford
Florida: Nov 18 UAB
Ky: Nov 25 Loisville
Tenn: Nov 4 Southern Miss
Vandy: Nov 4 w.ky
Misouiri: Oct 21 Idaho, Oct 28 uconn
Bama: Nov 18 Mercer
Auburn: Nov 18 la monroe
Tex am: Nov 11 New Mex
MSU: Oct 14 BYU, Nov 4 Umass

Now what were you sayin beage?

#40 2017-10-26 15:55:22 - Gilbert Speaks

TheChosenOne (295)

AndreWhere wrote:
TheChosenOne wrote:

I go to plenty of games. I've seen USM play in Houston, Biloxi, Birmingham, Mobile, Memphis, and New Orleans. Most of those games had more people in attendance than you'll ever see at MM Roberts.

USM does not equal Hattiesburg, and whatever claim the locals had on USM evaporated when Sweet Peppers and the townies stabbed us in the back. Frankly, you (and I don't mean you personally, but I do mean people who make your argument collectively) have not earned six home football games. We tried that path, and you didn't show up and you voted down a stadium expansion at a very critical point in time.

Besides, home games now are depressing. I went to the Southern University game because SWAC games are fun. I went to the New Orleans Bowl because games against ULL in the Dome are fun. I went to our home games against Houston and Louisville back in the day because they were fun. UAB at home in front of 21,000 people struggling to hear a broken sound system, on the other hand, just isn't enjoyable.

As for going out of a sense of obligation, I'm 100% done with that. People aren't buying that shit and we need to stop trying to sell it.

To me, that's what's particularly bad about that "all in" crap. It's the same old sad sack, hat-in-hand mentality we've had since Fedora left. We need to lose that shit yesterday, and lose the AAA baseball crackerbox stadium mentality, and start cracking skulls again.

Boss man, I wasn’t questioning your fan hood nor if or not you attended games. My statement was general in nature regarding number of home games.

Board footer