CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-30 10:18:36 - #EmptyNeyland campaign

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

#EmptyNeyland campaign

"Right after Florida coach Jim McElwain got the boot Sunday, more Vols fans took to Twitter to start an #EmptyNeyland campaign. Like the name suggests, the campaign is asking fans not to show up to any Tennessee home games at Neyland Stadium until Jones is fired."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb … spartandhp

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#2 2017-10-30 10:19:22 - #EmptyNeyland campaign

beagle (173)

Re: #EmptyNeyland campaign

Came to post this.

At least our players will be used to playing in an empty stadium.

"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#3 2017-10-30 10:22:34 - #EmptyNeyland campaign

Black Diamond Reb (418)

Evidently Giblet implemented that campaign here upon arrival.

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

Liked by:

#4 2017-10-30 10:41:42 - #EmptyNeyland campaign

Last time we played Tennessee was Bowers last season in 2007. Lost 39-19 to them that year. They were trying to squeeze out Fulmer as well but they gave him one more season. Our last home game that season was a sloppy win against Arky St 16-10 in front of an announced attendance of 17K....but much closer to 12K.

If we lose by 20+ to a horrible UT team, and find a way to lose to Rice before our home game against Charlotte, I believe Gilbert will pull the plug on Hopson. We can find 500K to have him go away. I would imagine the Charlotte crowd will be sub 15K, making a change necessary.

We are not that far off in reality from a coaching change.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#5 2017-10-30 10:44:08 - #EmptyNeyland campaign

beagle (173)

How much is Hopson's buyout? I'm sure it's pretty hefty. Most of these ADs are dumbasses and put in massive buyouts for these coaches.

We can't afford to do anything. Just get some competent coordinators, bring in this QB from NWCC or hope the Cuban Cannon is the truth, and maybe we will see some improvement.

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#6 2017-10-30 10:49:30 - #EmptyNeyland campaign

Eaglebird Humperdink (142)

beagle wrote:

How much is Hopson's buyout? I'm sure it's pretty hefty. Most of these ADs are dumbasses and put in massive buyouts for these coaches.

We can't afford to do anything. Just get some competent coordinators, bring in this QB from NWCC or hope the Cuban Cannon is the truth, and maybe we will see some improvement.

I think he gets another year, no matter what. If team is below .500 W/L at this point in the 2018 season, there will be more than rumbling on message boards.

Last edited by Eaglebird Humperdink (2017-10-30 10:49:57)

#7 2017-10-30 10:51:31 - #EmptyNeyland campaign

beagle wrote:

Originally thought he had a 3 year deal but per USA Today his buyout is $1,041,667 as of 12/1. Not sure if his contract has a provision that reduces his buyout if he takes another job. A loss to Rice is a strong possibility seeing that La Tech had to score 14 points in the final minute to beat them this past weekend. A three game losing streak going into the final home game with a 5-5 record and a sub 15K attendance should be enough for Gilbert to make a move.

#8 2017-10-30 10:54:36 - #EmptyNeyland campaign

Are we still paying Ellis Johnson? I figure we had to put that old fool on lay-away to buy him out after 1 season.

#9 2017-10-30 11:01:11 - #EmptyNeyland campaign

beagle (173)

Gilbert is very fiscally conservative. Can't see him dropping 1 million on a buyout unless a ton of CoC people are pissed and pony up $$$. 6-7 wins is pretty much the expectation around here nowadays anyways.

That Charlotte game is going to have 2007 Arkansas State level attendance unless we were to beat Tennessee or something.

Last edited by beagle (2017-10-30 11:01:48)

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#10 2017-10-30 11:03:57 - #EmptyNeyland campaign

Black Diamond Reb (418)

beagle wrote:

We have to hope the Cuban Cannon is the truth.

Well he WAS All County in fact.

"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."

#11 2017-10-30 11:06:40 - #EmptyNeyland campaign

Black Diamond Reb (418)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

Our last home game that season was a sloppy win against Arky St 16-10 in front of an announced attendance of 17K....but much closer to 12K.

No way there were more than 6-8K at that fiasco .. And Varga himself was 3K of those.

#12 2017-10-30 11:16:34 - #EmptyNeyland campaign

beagle wrote:

Gilbert is very fiscally conservative.

Not based on his background.....Gilbert and Dave Hart helped Tennessee get into a couple hundred million in debt after 3 years in Knoxville. They were the masterminds behind the current $10 million buyout for Butch Jones today. To be that much in debt at a school in the SEC doesn't sound conservative and at his age, I highly doubt he is changing the way he does business.

He doesn't have ties to Hop or the way USM does business so I can see him making a move for his own reputation. When Hop gets embarrassed at UT this weekend I can see Gilbert being more motivated for a change.

#13 2017-10-30 11:16:42 - #EmptyNeyland campaign

tg300 (439)

Black Diamond Reb wrote:

Evidently Giblet implemented that campaign here upon arrival.

Beat me to it.

The fans see this is going to be. EJ 2.0 just at a slower pace.

There will be more and more empty seats as this train wreck moves down the tracks.

#14 2017-10-30 11:24:42 - #EmptyNeyland campaign

Black Diamond Reb wrote:

and Varga himself was 3K of those.

candle-fast.gif

Liked by:

#15 2017-10-30 11:28:06 - #EmptyNeyland campaign

Mlytc (24)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:
beagle wrote:

Originally thought he had a 3 year deal but per USA Today his buyout is $1,041,667 as of 12/1. Not sure if his contract has a provision that reduces his buyout if he takes another job. A loss to Rice is a strong possibility seeing that La Tech had to score 14 points in the final minute to beat them this past weekend. A three game losing streak going into the final home game with a 5-5 record and a sub 15K attendance should be enough for Gilbert to make a move.

His buyout is 2 mil if he leaves for another job within his first 3 years and 500k if he leaves in his 4th year.  Not sure what it is if he's fired.
http://www.sunherald.com/sports/college … 95188.html

#16 2017-10-30 11:44:32 - #EmptyNeyland campaign

admin (289)
Administrator

beagle wrote:

Gilbert is very fiscally conservative. Can't see him dropping 1 million on a buyout unless a ton of CoC people are pissed and pony up $$$. 6-7 wins is pretty much the expectation around here nowadays anyways.

That Charlotte game is going to have 2007 Arkansas State level attendance unless we were to beat Tennessee or something.

He seems pretty focused on the top line (revenue). I don't know his attitude towards the bottom line (expenses). But if the team's performance starts impacting his precious gameday revenue numbers, that might force him to act.

Gilbert has, in my opinion, completely fucked up this football season. He's driven people out of the stadium with his hard line on pricing. The resulting shitty game day atmosphere has further reduce attendance. And you can't prove it, but the lack of atmosphere at M.M Roberts may have impacted the team. We've played like shit at home all year... are we really sure there's no correlation between that and our shitty, empty stadium? 

The Kentucky game in particular was a big miscalculation by Gilbert. That game should have been a party: 30,000+ cheering on the football team as it went head-to-head with an SEC team. Gilbert sacrificed that for "the 4th best day of pizza sales since 2009" or whatever.

How's that looking now, Gilbert? Refusing to discount tickets isn't really going to help you now, is it? Do you ever wonder how the UK game would have turned out if you hadn't shit in the punch bowl, or how that would have affected the trajectory of the season as a whole?

I've held back on this, but now I'll say it: this guy is worse than Giannini and maybe even worse than Hammond.

Liked by:

#17 2017-10-30 12:21:00 - #EmptyNeyland campaign

southerner92 (30)

I always considered that Arkansas Sate game the worst game I had ever attended where USM won until the UTEP game a few weeks ago. What a cluster this whole season has been at home.

#18 2017-10-30 12:25:22 - #EmptyNeyland campaign

southerner92 wrote:

I always considered that Arkansas Sate game the worst game I had ever attended where USM won until the UTEP game a few weeks ago. What a cluster this whole season has been at home.

If we lose to Rice like Bower did in 2007 I guarantee we can top your UTEP and Arky State experiences......

#19 2017-10-30 12:44:34 - #EmptyNeyland campaign

admin wrote:

Gilbert has, in my opinion, completely fucked up this football season. He's driven people out of the stadium with his hard line on pricing. The resulting shitty game day atmosphere has further reduce attendance. And you can't prove it, but the lack of atmosphere at M.M Roberts may have impacted the team. We've played like shit at home all year... are we really sure there's no correlation between that and our shitty, empty stadium?

You got it almost exactly right....except completely backwards. Don't look past the schedule and the long-term trajectory of this program as it has affected attendence. Look at the schedule. Look at attendance around C-USA. You'll see that football fans are choosing to go watch P5 games live and on TV, instead of attending Bottom Third games.
The fans who attend when they get free tickets or deep discounts are not becoming season ticket holders the following year. Instead, they will wait until tickets are free again. Older fans die off and don't get replaced by next generation, who are watching TV, going to soccer tourneys, or watching SEC or B1G on TV.

#20 2017-10-30 13:23:38 - #EmptyNeyland campaign

admin (289)
Administrator

Eaglebird Humperdink wrote:
admin wrote:

You got it almost exactly right....except completely backwards. Don't look past the schedule and the long-term trajectory of this program as it has affected attendence. Look at the schedule. Look at attendance around C-USA. You'll see that football fans are choosing to go watch P5 games live and on TV, instead of attending Bottom Third games.
The fans who attend when they get free tickets or deep discounts are not becoming season ticket holders the following year. Instead, they will wait until tickets are free again. Older fans die off and don't get replaced by next generation, who are watching TV, going to soccer tourneys, or watching SEC or B1G on TV.

A well-attended, competitive home game against an SEC opponent seems like exactly the sort of thing that might actually make some new fans.

Watching the team on TV is fine, in my book. I'm seeing empty seats everywhere; people don't want to attend games in person as much anymore. But if TV is to be the medium, we need to work on getting back on TV and getting compensated for it.

I'm sure you'll all tell me why that's impossible now.

Board footer