CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-15 19:10:57 - FCS semi-final: Sam Houston vs. NDSU

admin (289)
Administrator

FCS semi-final: Sam Houston vs. NDSU

Anyone else watching?

#2 2017-12-15 19:47:57 - FCS semi-final: Sam Houston vs. NDSU

AndreWhere (1252)

Re: FCS semi-final: Sam Houston vs. NDSU

Announcers keep pronouncing "bison" as "by-zun." I don't buy that crap any more than I buy pronouncing Boise as "boy-see" or dropping the "N" in Kiln, MS.

I lived in Pass Christian for many years and nobody ever dropped the "N" in "Kiln" in my experience. That's just some shit people made up to troll Yankees.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#3 2017-12-15 19:53:00 - FCS semi-final: Sam Houston vs. NDSU

AndreWhere (1252)

One too many "by-zuns" and now I'm watching the Georgia AAAAA championship.

Just because somebody cuts a fart doesn't mean you have to huff it, ESPN. Idiots.

#4 2017-12-15 20:34:27 - FCS semi-final: Sam Houston vs. NDSU

Ace Barker (260)
Website

Probably joking the MWC next year.

Ace...

#5 2017-12-15 20:36:26 - FCS semi-final: Sam Houston vs. NDSU

tg300 (439)

Ace Barker wrote:

Ace...

‘Your’ joking right?

#6 2017-12-15 21:12:33 - FCS semi-final: Sam Houston vs. NDSU

USMstang (303)

AndreWhere wrote:

I lived in Pass Christian for many years and nobody ever dropped the "N" in "Kiln" in my experience. That's just some shit people made up to troll Yankees.

So you lived in The Pass and never heard a local say The Kill??  I've actually checked the pronunciation before and its correct either way.  I had never heard a rational person say KilN until Brett played at GB, seriously.  And when idiots say KilN around me, I correct them.  Thats tantamount to saying DeS MoineS, BiLOXi, or MetAIRie.

Still sleeping with a Dixie Darling!

#7 2017-12-16 01:04:06 - FCS semi-final: Sam Houston vs. NDSU

Ace Barker (260)
Website

tg300 wrote:
Ace Barker wrote:

Ace...

‘Your’ joking right?

Yes.

I have never been fond of the iPhone auto correct, my fat finger and me not reading what I have written.

Ace...

Last edited by Ace Barker (2017-12-16 08:02:02)

#8 2017-12-16 07:40:33 - FCS semi-final: Sam Houston vs. NDSU

AndreWhere (1252)

USMstang wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

So you lived in The Pass and never heard a local say The Kill??  I've actually checked the pronunciation before and its correct either way.  I had never heard a rational person say KilN until Brett played at GB, seriously.  And when idiots say KilN around me, I correct them.  Thats tantamount to saying DeS MoineS, BiLOXi, or MetAIRie.

I think I've heard people say "Kill" but only when correcting people who said "Kiln." But if you say the locals say it that way, and you're not just trolling me because I'm a putz from ESPN in town for the Super Bowl, I will accept that into evidence.

What about Cuevas, MS? I say KWAY-vuss, basically just like a Mexican person would (cuevas = Spanish word for caves). Is there a countrified, anglophone to mangle the word, though? CUE-vass or something?

#9 2017-12-16 08:00:14 - FCS semi-final: Sam Houston vs. NDSU

Ace Barker (260)
Website

AndreWhere wrote:
USMstang wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

I think I've heard people say "Kill" but only when correcting people who said "Kiln." But if you say the locals say it that way, and you're not just trolling me because I'm a putz from ESPN in town for the Super Bowl, I will accept that into evidence.

What about Cuevas, MS? I say KWAY-vuss, basically just like a Mexican person would (cuevas = Spanish word for caves). Is there a countrified, anglophone to mangle the word, though? CUE-vass or something?

Gautier

Ace...

#10 2017-12-16 08:50:18 - FCS semi-final: Sam Houston vs. NDSU

Eaglebird Humperdink (142)

Ace Barker wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:
USMstang wrote:

Gautier

Ace...

Gautier...north of I-10, it is often mispronounced "GO Shay", but I've noticed real coast people say "go CHAY" with emphasis on 2nd syllable.

Saucier...I think it's "SOSHER" rhymes with Kosher, no pause at all between syllables.

Carriere....I believe the local pronunciation is "KAH rear"...like if you add an "R" to Korea.

Last edited by Eaglebird Humperdink (2017-12-16 08:52:16)

#11 2017-12-16 08:58:40 - FCS semi-final: Sam Houston vs. NDSU

AndreWhere (1252)

Eaglebird Humperdink wrote:

Carriere....I believe the local pronunciation is "KAH rear"...like if you add an "R" to Korea.

I have definitely heard people say it that way.

There's a lot of weird shit going on around the fringes of South Louisiana. Like the surname Laurent. People from New Orleans generally pronounce it the French way, but I've also met people from Baton Rouge who anglify it (LORE - ent).

#12 2017-12-16 20:45:20 - FCS semi-final: Sam Houston vs. NDSU

USMstang (303)

AndreWhere wrote:
USMstang wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

I've lived in Long Beach for all of my 51 years with exception of my college years and the 7 years in LA (you know, Lower Alabama) and everyone I know pronounces it The Kill and Cwayvus is correct also.  Goshay is said in Harrison county but GoChay in Jackson county by the locals.  A Gautier (GoShay) family lives in Long Beach and that's how they pronounce it.  One of my co-workers is a Saucier and he'll say Sosher like Kosher but I've also heard him call his family name SoShay which would, like GoShay, be correct French. 

Don't get me started on all the French names for streets and festivals, etc in Biloxi that are murdered in their pronunciations.

Last edited by USMstang (2017-12-16 20:46:35)

Still sleeping with a Dixie Darling!

Board footer