CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-07 14:09:16 - CUSA mindset

beagle (173)

CUSA mindset

What are some things that CUSA fans do and think?. You should know that CUSA mindset is a first cousin of the TTT mindset.

I'll start off with a couple.

- Discussing the most obscure story about the flagship university in your state that you have an inferiority complex about (http://csnbbs.com/thread-839469.html)

- Posting things like "ZOMG I HOPE YOU BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF THEM!!111!!!" whenever another CUSA school plays a P5 team in your state.

- And my personal favorite .... thinking there's no difference between the AAC and CUSA!

Last edited by beagle (2018-01-07 14:09:25)

"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#2 2018-01-07 15:31:27 - CUSA mindset

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

Re: CUSA mindset

“Lower tier G5 Sports fans and college institutions with an affinity for college football cannot help but be concerned over the fate of Conference USA. The conference continues to lose money and burn cash, with no turnaround in sight, as evidenced by its latest forthcoming media rights deal.

CUSA has been losing business to the AAC, Sun Belt and MWC—to mention but a few— which have fared much better than CUSA both in attendance and operating margins.

A series of strategic mistakes, which stretch back over two decades, and have damaged the status of our conference.
In 1995 and 2005, CUSA, made the first strategic mistakes – an aggressive expansion outside its “core” southern football base.
The problem was that these new football directional schools had very few synergies with the true souths traditional core fan base.
The move would welcome its future competitors internally -- like Central Florida, Tulsa and South Florida. -- an opportunity to invade and take over the CUSA brand and market before leaving for more revenue.

In 2013, CUSA made its second mistake: restructuring its operations into several more directional units, run by schools with little legacy or experience. It should come as no surprise that this new wave of teams was doomed to fail, as evidenced by the conferences financial results related to inflated travel expenses and drastically reduced media rights income in recent years.

In the last few years, CUSA made its third strategic mistake – it has failed to update its branding model or clearly define their long term goals. CUSA is missing the same thing as The MAC. Both establishments are antiquated business models. The world is a different place now. Early in its infancy,  CUSA was small part of American football life. If you go there now, it’s viewed as a last resort.”

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Liked by:

#3 2018-01-07 15:45:37 - CUSA mindset

AndreWhere (1252)

I always got a laugh out of how they cite CUSA's bowl record since the last round of realignment. Like, y'all sure did let Kent State and Liberty or whoever know who's the boss.

Then they say shit like "USM needs to pull its weight for the good of the conference." Oh, OK. USM pulls its weight by having an actual fan base and a somewhat OK brand. Nobody else in this conference would have brought half as many people to Shreveport as USM did.

Bitching about ULL is a CUSA thing.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#4 2018-01-07 15:52:51 - CUSA mindset

Black Diamond Reb (418)

AndreWhere wrote:

Nobody else in this conference would have brought half as many people to Shreveport as USM did.

Crank up the tee shirt machine

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#5 2018-01-07 16:00:43 - CUSA mindset

AndreWhere (1252)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

“Lower tier G5 Sports fans and college institutions with an affinity for college football cannot help but be concerned over the fate of Conference USA. The conference continues to lose money and burn cash, with no turnaround in sight, as evidenced by its latest forthcoming media rights deal.

CUSA has been losing business to the AAC, Sun Belt and MWC—to mention but a few— which have fared much better than CUSA both in attendance and operating margins.

A series of strategic mistakes, which stretch back over two decades, and have damaged the status of our conference.
In 1995 and 2005, CUSA, made the first strategic mistakes – an aggressive expansion outside its “core” southern football base.
The problem was that these new football directional schools had very few synergies with the true souths traditional core fan base.
The move would welcome its future competitors internally -- like Central Florida, Tulsa and South Florida. -- an opportunity to invade and take over the CUSA brand and market before leaving for more revenue.

In 2013, CUSA made its second mistake: restructuring its operations into several more directional units, run by schools with little legacy or experience. It should come as no surprise that this new wave of teams was doomed to fail, as evidenced by the conferences financial results related to inflated travel expenses and drastically reduced media rights income in recent years.

In the last few years, CUSA made its third strategic mistake – it has failed to update its branding model or clearly define their long term goals. CUSA is missing the same thing as The MAC. Both establishments are antiquated business models. The world is a different place now. Early in its infancy,  CUSA was small part of American football life. If you go there now, it’s viewed as a last resort.”

I mentioned the most fundamental mistake a couple of days ago: CUSA, in its first few incarnations at least, never had a real exit fee.

I'd imagine the AAC does have a real exit fee, and that's probably why they're marketing themselves so aggressively, with the P6 thing and whatnot.

Most of original CUSA had no incentive to do that. The plan was always to get out.

Very few people probably realized this until recently. Richard Giannini must have known, though, and that makes his relentless pro-CUSA stance (he even said he wanted to grow CUSA into a power conference) that much more ridiculous.

CUSA 1.0 was legitimately the 6th-best conference. Had it been structured in a way that encouraged schools to stay, it probably still would be.

Last edited by AndreWhere (2018-01-07 16:01:29)

#6 2018-01-07 16:03:40 - CUSA mindset

AndreWhere (1252)

Black Diamond Reb wrote:

tee shirt machine

The correct term is "mill," champ.

#7 2018-01-07 18:38:31 - CUSA mindset

tg300 (439)

Black Diamond Reb wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

Nobody else in this conference would have brought half as many people to Shreveport as USM did.

You think we can spell better than the Indy bowl ppl?

#8 2018-01-07 19:39:05 - CUSA mindset

Used to give a sh*t Eagle (9)

Go back to whacking off to dreams of being invited to tailgate in the Grove.  In reality, you make extra cash by getting peed on for a $1 behind O'Charley's.  You keyboard Queen.  Your t-shirt says "I got skull humped by Freddie Mercury". 

Black Diamond Reb wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

There is no solution.  We don't have the money.

#9 2018-01-07 20:26:53 - CUSA mindset

AndreWhere (1252)

Used to give a sh*t Eagle wrote:

Go back to whacking off to dreams of being invited to tailgate in the Grove.  In reality, you make extra cash by getting peed on for a $1 behind O'Charley's.  You keyboard Queen.  Your t-shirt says "I got skull humped by Freddie Mercury".

LOL. That's the kind of post "College Sports Unfiltered" was made for, I guess.

I'll grant BDR a couple of things though: he does occasionally drop the negative persona and post a nugget of wisdom. Also, at times, he *doesn't* drop the negative persona and posts some nuggets of wisdom.

Of what goes on in the O'Charley's parking lot, I know nothing.

#10 2018-01-07 20:36:47 - CUSA mindset

eaglenjxn (11)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

Preface:  I think that post-Slive C-USA has been run poorly.  There were errors in who we decided to bring in and in the mindset of "more is better," which led to us bringing in some of the dead weight with which we are currently stuck.

That said....if C-USA were run well, do I believe that we would be much better off than we are now?  No. To me, mismanagement from the top contributed about 10-15 percent to where we are now.  That's significant.  We would be slightly better off with more competent leadership....but not much better off.  The other 85-90 percent was outside of the conference's control.  Conference expansions fueled by increasing money from TV revenues is why this conference (and USM, specifically) is where it is. 

On the 2005 expansion:  First, USF was an original member of C-USA.  They moved up to D1 in football in the early 00's. Second, I never thought of C-USA as having a "Southern base."  From its inception, it was a geographically sprawled conference of basketball-first and basketball-only programs lacking any kind of football identity. I'm guilty of this, as well, but I think we tend to romanticize old-CUSA based on what those programs are now and not what they were then.  Better than C-USA now?  Sure.  Not as good as people want to say, though. 

Third, UCF and Tulsa using the conference as a platform was an inevitable product of what college athletics (and specifically football) was becoming. Everyone was hoping to use the conference as a springboard. Andre mentioned this before me in the thread--and I agree--that Giannini was probably naive in thinking that everyone wanted to build a conference.  I'm not sure it mattered, though.  USM has nothing that appealed to the BE or AAC (though we should have tried our asses off).  Anyway, our conference was decimated in 2005 and we had to bring teams in.  Given that half the programs that came in at that point were called up to the Big East/American, I think that shows we chose some well. Where we went wrong was with expanding TOO much.  I didn't like bringing Rice in. I actually didn't like bringing SMU in (that would be my exception to the former members involved in the 05 expansion).  I didn't like bringing UTEP in. 

Regardless of your view on that expansion that year, college athletics was still different.  You could see where it was going but you didn't know how fast it was coming.  The SEC-ESPN deal in 2007 (?) hit the fast-forward button on those changes. 

2013:  I'm more on the same page there.  That struck me as a move in which we basically just grabbed whoever we could in a moment of panic to try to appease the Texas schools (that's where Rice and UTEP bit us in the ass) and do whatever we could to get a holding in Florida.  By that point, the landscape of college football was clear. This was not a conference was going to be competitive financially and there weren't going to be big TV contracts for the conference. It should have condensed geographically. 

I think the biggest question is if this conference would have been better off had it started 10-15 years before and been more established when TV deals became so important. No doubt that big conferences would have raided it....but maybe it would be in the position of the AAC now.  As it was created in 1996 with a group of far-flung basketball programs, I don't think it ever had a chance to be successful in the current world of college athletics. 

Granted, it focused on basketball, but I think the 30-for-30 on the Big East summarized the approaching storm of big-money college football and how there really wasn't a way to stop it.

Last edited by eaglenjxn (2018-01-07 20:40:35)

Liked by:

#11 2018-01-07 21:08:41 - CUSA mindset

My post was literally a copy of a Forbes article discussing the reasons that Sears is failing and the mistakes they made over the years. After reading it I could see similarities to how horrid CUSA failed to adapt so I changed out the name Sears and replaced it with CUSA......

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#12 2018-01-07 21:49:54 - CUSA mindset

Black Diamond Reb (418)

You can make extra cash by getting peed on for a $1 behind O'Charley's.

More great Eagle Club fundraising.

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#13 2018-01-08 09:20:56 - CUSA mindset

You can make extra cash by getting peed on for a $1 behind O'Charley's.

This really has my knickers in a knot......I paid $5 last week........

#14 2018-01-10 17:59:57 - CUSA mindset

AndreWhere (1252)

beagle wrote:

Discussing the most obscure story about the flagship university in your state that you have an inferiority complex about

babe.jpeg

Liked by:

#15 2018-01-10 18:09:59 - CUSA mindset

beagle (173)

“I root for: Beer”

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#16 2018-01-10 18:14:31 - CUSA mindset

AndreWhere (1252)

beagle wrote:

His profile reminds me of an LA Tech fan for some reason.

Liked by:

#17 2018-01-10 18:55:24 - CUSA mindset

beagle (173)

AndreWhere wrote:
beagle wrote:

His profile reminds me of an LA Tech fan for some reason.

That’s too perfect.

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#18 2018-01-19 16:30:23 - CUSA mindset

AndreWhere (1252)

This guy makes me laugh. I guess there will always be a need for opponents at SEC homecoming games.

econ.png

#19 2018-01-19 16:39:35 - CUSA mindset

tg300 (439)

AndreWhere wrote:

This guy makes me laugh. I guess there will always be a need for opponents at SEC homecoming games.

econ.png

Condscend?

#20 2018-01-19 16:48:56 - CUSA mindset

AndreWhere (1252)

tg300 wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

econ.png

Condscend?

Economists with PhDs can't agree on anything. This dude's got it all figured out, though. Hell, he's got a coffee cup icon.

Board footer