CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-09 18:33:07 - Looks like someone finally found our Indian burial grounds...

AndreWhere (1252)

Looks like someone finally found our Indian burial grounds...

I don't know exactly why, but I laughed pretty hard at this one.

bury.png

Shut her down, guys... M.M. Roberts was a segregationist!

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#2 2018-01-09 18:35:22 - Looks like someone finally found our Indian burial grounds...

AndreWhere (1252)

Re: Looks like someone finally found our Indian burial grounds...

He "may be wrong," though. Doesn't stop him from casting aspersions on the man his team's stadium is named for. He's an old dude from Mississippi, right? Probably a damned segregationist.

Morons.

#3 2018-01-09 18:36:30 - Looks like someone finally found our Indian burial grounds...

AndreWhere (1252)

Can anyone even vouch for this assclown? Could be one of Jeremy's sock puppets.

#4 2018-01-09 18:37:29 - Looks like someone finally found our Indian burial grounds...

beagle (173)

AndreWhere wrote:

He "may be wrong," though. Doesn't stop him from casting aspersions on the man his team's stadium is named for. He's an old dude from Mississippi, right? Probably a damned segregationist.

Morons.

Roberts was on the IHL board back in the day. I believe he was one of the main people that tried to stop MSU from playing the (integrated) Loyola-Chicago team in basketball.

Last edited by beagle (2018-01-09 18:37:51)

"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#5 2018-01-09 19:04:42 - Looks like someone finally found our Indian burial grounds...

AndreWhere (1252)

beagle wrote:

I believe he was one of the main people that tried to stop MSU from playing the (integrated) Loyola-Chicago team in basketball.

Could be true for all I know. There's not much information available online about the man. Unlike Gum Job Eagle, I'd avoid running him down online without a source, if at all.

Whether Roberts' views on the integration of basketball or anything else invalidate him as a person who can have things named after him depends on your philosophy.

Supposedly Roberts led the push to make USM a full university, as opposed to a college. If you look at things from a utilitarian perspective, that helped a whole lot of black people who couldn't afford to move up to Nowhere, North Mississippi to get an education.

The other thing I'd throw out there is that Mississippi to this day voluntarily segregates itself, and that's true of both skin colors.

It's hard forcing integration on people that just don't seem to want it.

Last edited by AndreWhere (2018-01-09 19:06:03)

Board footer