CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#21 2018-01-12 15:44:52 - Bower on playoff

skyvoyager (177)

Re: Bower on playoff

eaglenjxn wrote:
beagle wrote:

Wants to stay at a 4 team playoff. Also says that UCF didn’t have the SOS.

https://mississippitoday.org/2018/01/11 … -it-right/

My problem was never with the BCS ratings.  I liked the ratings and rarely disagreed with the 1 vs. 2 that they gave us.  The problem was that it gave us two teams.

2000 - Oklahoma vs FSU.  FSU chosen over miami even though the Hurricanes had beaten FSU in the regular season.
          FSU loses 13-2.  Miami beats florida in the sugar.
2001 - Nebraska gets in after losing 62-36 to colorado and does not win their division
2003 - Kansas state drills OK.  Somehow OK gets in to play LSU instead of USC
2005 - USC trashes OK 55-19.... Undefeated Auburn 13-0 beating 5 top 15 teams finishes #3
2007 - Lsu gets in with 2 loses over many 2 loss teams
2008 - undefeated utah does not get in
2009 - five undefeated teams enter the bowl season...."got to blow it up and start over" urban meyer was quoted regarding
          the BCS.

Everyone has the right to be stupid... It's just that some people abuse the privilege.

#22 2018-01-12 15:58:35 - Bower on playoff

AndreWhere (1252)

I don't have a big problem with Bower's little committee. I have a problem with anyone who doesn't acknowledge that there will be years that the committee gets it wrong and that the two main polls will need to correct that.

I watched Bama vs. UGA, Auburn vs. UGA, and Auburn vs. UCF. UCF was at least as good as any of those teams, and ultimately more deserving.

Five voters in the AP Poll, I think, seem to agree with me about that. Unfortunately, they're in the minority.

The rest of the voters either somehow convinced themselves that Bama, a team that couldn't even win a division championship, was the best team, or they just went with the tournament winner out of a sense of obligation.

Bama ought to be called a tournament champion, nothing more.

Last edited by AndreWhere (2018-01-12 16:01:20)

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#23 2018-01-12 16:15:21 - Bower on playoff

Black Diamond Reb (418)

AndreWhere wrote:

Bama ought to be called a tournament champion, nothing more.

That's all the basketball champion is as well.

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#24 2018-01-12 16:30:33 - Bower on playoff

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

UCF did crack the top 4.....in the final CBS poll.
We almost cracked the top 70.....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsspo … -poll/amp/

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#25 2018-01-12 17:36:24 - Bower on playoff

99beers (303)

Lol on ucf.   Bama or georgia would habe curb stomped them.   Ucf beat nobody during the regular season.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Georgia Tech SwagFag can eat zombie feces...loser. #PoundSand

#26 2018-01-12 17:44:05 - Bower on playoff

AndreWhere (1252)

99beers wrote:

Lol on ucf.   Bama or georgia would habe curb stomped them.   Ucf beat nobody during the regular season.

I thought so, too, before the Auburn game. Auburn wasn't even really competitive.

Maybe it was just some sort of psychological letdown for Auburn not to get in? I guess you pretty much have to believe that to be OK with Bama winning it all.

For me it's not 100% about finding the "best" team. There is an aspect of deserving it or not, and of doing the things that are expected of you.

Had UGA won, I would have been more comfortable with blowing off UCF. But they didn't, and now we have a "national champion" that lost to two teams in its own conference and couldn't even win its own division.

I think it's similar to the season where the Patriots went undefeated but lost the Super Bowl. Were they the best team in the league, maybe even in history? Maybe so, but who gives a damn? They didn't take care of business.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#27 2018-01-12 18:26:38 - Bower on playoff

Black Diamond Reb (418)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

We almost cracked the top 70 in the final CBS poll.

Now available in L - 2X behind O Charley's and Sonic of Sumrall.

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#28 2018-01-12 20:12:20 - Bower on playoff

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

Black Diamond Reb wrote:

Now available in L - 2X behind O Charley's and Sonic of Sumrall.

There is a lot going on behind that O Charley’s on Hardy....

tumblr_mpmlfeyWjm1sytf7ro1_500.gif

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#29 2018-01-13 00:18:50 - Bower on playoff

eaglenjxn (11)

skyvoyager wrote:
eaglenjxn wrote:
beagle wrote:

Wants to stay at a 4 team playoff. Also says that UCF didn’t have the SOS.

https://mississippitoday.org/2018/01/11 … -it-right/

My problem was never with the BCS ratings.  I liked the ratings and rarely disagreed with the 1 vs. 2 that they gave us.  The problem was that it gave us two teams.

2000 - Oklahoma vs FSU.  FSU chosen over miami even though the Hurricanes had beaten FSU in the regular season.
          FSU loses 13-2.  Miami beats florida in the sugar.
2001 - Nebraska gets in after losing 62-36 to colorado and does not win their division
2003 - Kansas state drills OK.  Somehow OK gets in to play LSU instead of USC
2005 - USC trashes OK 55-19.... Undefeated Auburn 13-0 beating 5 top 15 teams finishes #3
2007 - Lsu gets in with 2 loses over many 2 loss teams
2008 - undefeated utah does not get in
2009 - five undefeated teams enter the bowl season...."got to blow it up and start over" urban meyer was quoted regarding
          the BCS.

For me, most of those are perfect examples of the problem with selecting two teams....but not with the rankings.  From 2004 (when the formula was redone) through 2013, I really only had a problem with Oklahoma in 05. 

And even before that, Oklahoma in 2003 was my only problem....and I kind of understood that one.

2000 - Miami won by 3 at home on a last minute TD.  Not decisive.  FSU played a brutal schedule and blew the doors off Clemson and Florida (both were top 10 at the time) in two of the last 3 weeks of the season. Miami was still in the Big East and was burned by a weak conference schedule. They gave Vick and VT their only loss but that was their only other notable win.  Washington had as good of an argument (with a win over Miami) as Miami.  Good example of the problem with having two teams. 

2001 - Non-division champ playing for the title?  Sounds familiar.  That was a season where no one deserved to be #2 and they probably could have just handed Miami the title after the regular season.

2003 - That's the first one.  But people forget what Oklahoma did to their opponents that season (e.g. beat #6 in BCS Texas by 55 at a neutral site). It was a known fact that Oklahoma would be #1 after the Big 12 title game regardless of a result...and they treated it like an exhibition.  Also, people forget that USC's resume wasn't good.  USC was beaten by a 6-loss Cal team and had one ranked win (Wazzou). Still, they deserved it over Oklahoma.  The formula was changed after this....

2005 - Auburn had four Top 15 wins--with two over UT, who lost to a bad Notre Dame team at home late in the season.  That destroyed any credibility for that win. That was a down year for the SEC.  Still, they had the better resume.  Oklahoma didn't really even have the style points like they did in 2003...but they had the most impressive win at the end of the regular season and shut out Vince Young.

2007-2009:  Sounds more like a problem with there only being two teams than the ratings.

Board footer