CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-09 19:52:25 - The Problems Have Been Solved ..

Black Diamond Reb (418)

The Problems Have Been Solved ..

Giblet has saved Southern from athletic damnation just by writing a few reports and quoting a few scriptures from the book of Flamingo. Who knew it could be so easy?

In recent days, I have been reflecting upon the list of accomplishments within our Department of Athletics in 2017. Time and time again, I’m struck by the sheer size and volume of the problems that we have solved. That’s right – problems solved! I can’t look upon any member of our Department (from our Leadership Team, our Professional Staff, our Coaches, our Graduate Assistants, and our Student-Athletes) without realizing that we are solving problems. We are Problem Solvers.

Yet it seems that in recent years, the word ‘Problem’ has gotten a bad rap. The word Problem simply means: “a question proposed for a solution – a matter or situation that is perplexing or difficult.”

Yep – that’s the right word. That’s what we do. We solve problems. Each and every day as we head into work – whether it be our offices, our fields of play, and of course our classrooms – problems await. Important issues requiring solutions.

Problem Solving Venues

When we consider our Student-Athletes, we ask them to solve problems each and every day – in their classrooms, in their study halls, in the weight rooms, and on the fields and courts where they practice and compete. They’re committed to finding solutions to their academic achievement and competitive performance.

When we consider our Coaches, we ask them to solve problems in their recruiting efforts in order to attract Student-Athletes likely to excel at USM. Our Coaches are solving problems each and every day in leading our Student-Athletes – supporting their academic achievement, athletic preparation, and competitive success. They do their best to find the best solutions to difficult situations.

The Right Problems in the Right Order

As the Director of Athletics for the past 12 months, a significant amount of my time (and that of our Leadership Team) is spent ensuring that we are working on the right problems, and in the right order. At first, the sheer number and size of our problems can seem overwhelming. In our present position, some problems just don’t seem to have a solution. But that’s our job, and we seem to be getting better at it with each passing month.

Consider the words of W. Clement Stone. He stated:

So you’ve got a problem? That’s good! Why?

Because repeated victories over your problems are the rungs on your ladder to success.

With each victory you grow in wisdom, stature and experience.

You become a bigger, better, more successful person each time you meet a problem

and tackle and conquer it with a positive mental attitude.

Thank You to the Problem Solvers

Our Leadership Team, our Professional Staff, our Coaches, our Student-Athletes, our Donors, and our Fans should be proud of their hand in our problem-solving success. We have a Department of Athletics that is transforming itself through professional planning and effective management. We have great people committed to a mission that is focused on Student-Athlete wellbeing and the educational mission of the University.

Problems Solved

Look what our USM Athletics Team has solved over the past year. Consider just a few of the following, and know that these are just a fraction of the problems we have solved –

Mission and Guiding Principles

§We solved and have published a Mission and Guiding Principles that governs all our actions. They are used in all hiring, training and management. They are in effect at all times.

Executive Operations Report in Support of Presidential Leadership and Control

§We have solved the need to provide President Bennett with a comprehensive report on our activity within the Department in support of Presidential Leadership and Control.

Operating Unit Reporting

§We have solved the issue of reporting from each of our Operating Units (Academics, Business, Compliance, Development, etc.) with a standardized bi-monthly reporting system.

Departmental Operations Plan

§We have solved for the need for an Operations Plan by setting 12 Operational Priorities and an array of Goals for each Priority.

Departmental Needs Report (Eagle Vision)

§We have solved the need for a Departmental Vision and comprehensive Needs Report for projects which require funding; providing an itemized listing for all Sport Programs and Operating Units.

AD’s Presentation Folio

§We have solved the need to clearly and concisely tell the story and introduce our Department of Athletics; creating a unified voice for all our Staff and Coaches.

I’m In Campaign

§We have solved a need to demonstrate our financial commitment to the Department, as each member of our Department has contributed to our Annual Fund.

Sport Report

§We have solved for a set of clear expectations for our Sport Administrators and Coaches; we are now engaged in comprehensive data collection for all Sport Programs.

Special Project Teams

§We have solved for projects that seem overwhelming, by assigning multiple people to Special Project Teams to solve our most significant problems.

Facilities

§We are solving many facility needs with the planning and funding for our new Wellness/Volleyball Center.

External Relations

§We have solved many apparel concerns with our first comprehensive Apparel Agreement with Adidas.

Academics

§Perhaps most important, our Student-Athletes have earned a cumulative 2.9 GPA with over 50% of our Student-Athletes earning a GPA of 3.0 or better, and an 84% Graduation Success Rate.

We are problem solvers. That’s what we do – and we solve problems with Respect, with Positive Energy, with Focus, with a spirit of Excellence, with Collaboration, and with Honor. Those are our Guiding Principles, and that’s how we do it here.

We have solved these and so many other problems, and in the days ahead, we may be reaching out to you to help us solve some of our special problems. We continue to solve for effective budget design, budget management, and sustainable funding for our Department, our 10 Operating Units and 17 Sport Programs.

We have many problems on the road ahead. But that’s OK. We are the Problem Solvers and that’s what we do – on our way – To The Top!

- Gobbler

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#2 2018-02-09 20:05:11 - The Problems Have Been Solved ..

stinkfist (764)

Re: The Problems Have Been Solved ..

3934yu85yu4.gif

95368035975122i7o8%5B1%5D.jpg493758851198d75b9e7118c23f42f2ad02c1efee979.gif

#3 2018-02-09 20:07:19 - The Problems Have Been Solved ..

AndreWhere (1252)

Black Diamond Reb wrote:

So you’ve got a problem? That’s good! Why?

Because repeated victories over your problems are the rungs on your ladder to success.

It's General Jeffy all over again. Manufacture a problem, tear a ligament patting yourself on the back for solving it.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#4 2018-02-09 20:09:13 - The Problems Have Been Solved ..

AndreWhere (1252)

Is this an Eagle Club email? I didn't get it. Is the Eagle Club really so incompetent that they can't even send me the post-bong-session emails I paid good money for? I was promised Cheech and Chong Go To College and I expect it in my inbox, damn it.

#5 2018-02-09 20:12:25 - The Problems Have Been Solved ..

Black Diamond Reb (418)

AndreWhere wrote:

Is this an Eagle Club e mail?

I read it on the back of an O' Charley's to go menu.

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#6 2018-02-09 20:41:33 - The Problems Have Been Solved ..

USMstang (303)

Its one of the few Eagle Club items I do get...

John Gilbert is one of the most brilliant mother fuckers that has ever graced the halls of Southern Mississippi!  This son-of-a-bitch has world-class BULLSHITTING abilities like none other before him.  He has spent 12 fucking months "organizing" USM instead of working.  He should have been done in 45 days and solving the real problems instead.

Still sleeping with a Dixie Darling!

#7 2018-02-09 20:46:52 - The Problems Have Been Solved ..

AndreWhere (1252)

USMstang wrote:

Its one of the few Eagle Club items I do get...

John Gilbert is one of the most brilliant mother fuckers that has ever graced the halls of Southern Mississippi!  This son-of-a-bitch has world-class BULLSHITTING abilities like none other before him.  He has spent 12 fucking months "organizing" USM instead of working.  He should have been done in 45 days and solving the real problems instead.

I don't get it. Do certain Eagle Club victims get certain emails? Are some of them for certain membership tiers only? Or is it just garden variety incompetence, where sometimes some people get some emails?

#8 2018-02-09 21:00:13 - The Problems Have Been Solved ..

USMstang (303)

I believe it is complete incompetence.  Case in point, there are "surveys" that go out to EC members...I've never seen one.  I contacted Brian and inquired.  He said I've been added to "the list".  I guess that means there have not been any surveys since then...I doubt it.

I give at a pretty decent level and obviously don't get everything.  If JG thinks he has "solved" shit, he needs to keep digging because nothing has changed from my perspective.  ZERO.  I give in spite of those assclowns.

Still sleeping with a Dixie Darling!

Liked by:

#9 2018-02-09 21:08:19 - The Problems Have Been Solved ..

AndreWhere (1252)

USMstang wrote:

I believe it is complete incompetence.  Case in point, there are "surveys" that go out to EC members...I've never seen one.  I contacted Brian and inquired.  He said I've been added to "the list".  I guess that means there have not been any surveys since then...I doubt it.

I give at a pretty decent level and obviously don't get everything.  If JG thinks he has "solved" shit, he needs to keep digging because nothing has changed from my perspective.  ZERO.  I give in spite of those assclowns.

Sad.

USMstang wrote:

I give in spite of those assclowns.

Truer words have never been spoken, and it's been that way for 20+ years. Even as a clueless undergrad who'd never had a bigger job than grocery-bagger, I was noticing obvious stupidity.

#10 2018-02-09 21:12:44 - The Problems Have Been Solved ..

AndreWhere (1252)

So this email, which I didn't receive, raises a few pretty obvious questions for me.

First, has the fact that home football games are requiring people to parallel park on grass along US-49 been addressed? You've got a 36,000+ seat stadium at your disposal, Gilbert. Why did I have to back up onto grass along US-49 to watch a mediocre team play in a half-full stadium against a SWAC team?

What happens if 36,000+ people actually do show up? Guess you're not planning for that, which is a problem.

WTF is even going on at the "dust bowl" that's so important that I can't park there? I would really like to see an explanation for that.

This guy really is the worst, and it's a low bar.

#11 2018-02-09 22:02:12 - The Problems Have Been Solved ..

B&GBU (259)

Prancing around like a jester strewing rose petals on Bennett's path for $350,000.00 per year.

The more time you spend in reporting on what you are doing, the less time you have to do anything.
Stability is achieved when you spend all of your time reporting on the nothing you are doing.

COHN'S LAW

Last edited by B&GBU (2018-02-09 22:07:15)

"Did you ever consider that the next level would be a lower one?"

#12 2018-02-10 10:55:17 - The Problems Have Been Solved ..

99beers (303)

Greez......  Reports and meetings.....  Busy work......  Total bullshit

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Georgia Tech SwagFag can eat zombie feces...loser. #PoundSand

Liked by:

Board footer