CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-10 09:17:23 - Grass isn’t always greener

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

Grass isn’t always greener

The AAC has done absolutely nothing for UCONN. They fired Kevin Ollie this morning after two consecutive losing seasons. They only have one tournament appearance in last four years thanks to a Hail Mary shot in their conf tournament three years ago. I know they are serious about leaving the AAC to return to The Big East and it’s hard to argue against that at this point. That is a basketball school that is being held hostage by a pathetic football program.

Same can be said for ECU and the AAC. They fired their AD yesterday and still have to pay him $1.5 million over the next couple of years. He is the only AD they had since Terry Holland left after they got into the AAC. He hired their current disaster FB coach Montgomery after a controversial firing of Ruffin McNeil. They have been 3-9 two consecutive years under Mo and are spending 10’s of millions on a stadium expansion for a current stadium that is 20% full each game. Their basketball coach quit during the season. Their baseball program has been on the decline for the most part over the last couple of years but are showing some promise of rebounding this season. Yes, they have more cash because of the AAC but ask a UCONN alum what they think and I would bet getting into the AAC is top on their list of mistakes.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#2 2018-03-10 09:43:53 - Grass isn’t always greener

AndreWhere (1252)

Re: Grass isn’t always greener

I'd trade places with ECU in a heartbeat.

Yes, their football team sucks, but USM's is only experiencing modest success and they're doing it in abject poverty. I fully expect for the bottom to drop out on Hopson this fall.

Hop's put together a semblance of a competitive football team using spit and sealing wax, and it's all about to come unglued. Then come the revenue problems and the tough decisions.

Cost-cutters who get off on doing everything on the cheap are killing USM. Best thing that could happen to the school is for Gilbert to screw up and get fired... and I mean screw up in a Patino / Petrino / Paterno way, because he won't get fired for mere incompetence. That's been proven.

Last edited by AndreWhere (2018-03-10 09:44:16)

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#3 2018-03-10 09:47:21 - Grass isn’t always greener

AndreWhere (1252)

As for UConn and even Temple, I see them leaving. AAC is just original CUSA. Basically replacing USM with UConn/Temple was a desperate and unworkable attempt to demonstrate otherwise.

#4 2018-03-10 10:00:05 - Grass isn’t always greener

stinkfist (764)

the meltdown has only begun....

like coos-coos 3.0 developed due to realignment, I'll keep pounding the gavel how the shite has only begun to hit the fan when the flagship schools give everybody else the finga when their tv contracts expire....

it's always about the coin.....it's doesn't matter whether one likes it or not....

welcome to the real world bitches....

95368035975122i7o8%5B1%5D.jpg493758851198d75b9e7118c23f42f2ad02c1efee979.gif

#5 2018-03-10 10:05:17 - Grass isn’t always greener

Southern Miss has always operated with the smallest of budgets in D1 so the money challenge isn’t new. We have to keep searching for the best available young coaching talent with the understanding that they will give us 2-3 years before moving up. I am skeptical that next year will be better than last season because the recruiting has continued to improve and if one of the twelve qbs in camp is legit we should improve our win total especially considering our schedule. Hop is the 13th lowest paid coach in FBS. Considering all financial constraints and lack of administrative leadership he is giving us more than people want to honestly admit.

I just wish he didn’t wet the bed against Tennessee......no excuse for that crap show.....

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#6 2018-03-10 10:25:55 - Grass isn’t always greener

AndreWhere (1252)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

Southern Miss has always operated with the smallest of budgets in D1 so the money challenge isn’t new. We have to keep searching for the best available young coaching talent with the understanding that they will give us 2-3 years before moving up. I am skeptical that next year will be better than last season because the recruiting has continued to improve and if one of the twelve qbs in camp is legit we should improve our win total especially considering our schedule. Hop is the 13th lowest paid coach in FBS. Considering all financial constraints and lack of administrative leadership he is giving us more than people want to honestly admit.

I just wish he didn’t wet the bed against Tennessee......no excuse for that crap show.....

USM has never been wealthy, but paying coaches so little that they run off to places like FAU or Memphis is definitely a new and disturbing trend.

How is it that a $19 million budget had room to pay Larry Fedora and his staff twice what a $26 million budget has in it for Hopson and his staff? If you figure Hopson and company make around $1 million total, and Fedora and his staff made around twice that, where did that extra million go?

Where did the extra $7 million in revenue go?

We like to poor mouth, but I'm seeing $8,000,000 per year that could be devoted to making USM football better than it was when Fedora was hired. Where is it going?

It's definitely not going to football. Our staff salaries are a joke. The stadium is filthy. There's nowhere to park for football games. Ticket prices are up and giveaways are a thing of the past.

Gilbert gets off on using smoke and mirrors to make his end-of-year numbers look better. I doubt he'd have even put up the $350,000 it took to get Doc Sadler. He'd have looked for somebody demanding about half that much. If you think Doc is inadequate, imagine what kind of a stooge Gilbert would have brought in.

Last edited by AndreWhere (2018-03-10 10:26:41)

#7 2018-03-10 10:58:58 - Grass isn’t always greener

99beers (303)

"We will be okay".

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Georgia Tech SwagFag can eat zombie feces...loser. #PoundSand

Liked by:

#8 2018-03-10 11:59:14 - Grass isn’t always greener

Black Diamond Reb (418)

AndreWhere wrote:

There's nowhere to park for football games.

That's why they have the "trolley".

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#9 2018-03-10 14:05:26 - Grass isn’t always greener

99beers wrote:

"We will be okay".

Might be true.....but I would still go ahead and get your bucket of apocalypse survival food from this guy while supplies last.....

download-1.sized-770x415xc.png

Board footer