CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#21 2018-04-03 20:16:44 - USM baseball vs. ULL: game 1

AndreWhere (1252)

Re: USM baseball vs. ULL: game 1

EAGLES WIN!

Bowen lifts one up for a single to complete the comeback. Say what you want about this team, but they know how to win a close one.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#22 2018-04-03 20:25:37 - USM baseball vs. ULL: game 1

AndreWhere (1252)

ULL did something tonight that I thought was questionable when USM did it earlier in the year: they intentionally walked the bases loaded late in a tie game.

I understand the rationale: the go-ahead run is already at third anyway, so why not pick who you want your pitcher to throw to? In some cases (though not tonight), maybe you think you're setting up the double play.

It really puts the pitcher in a bad position, though. Can't remember what the exact situation was when USM did this, but tonight, ULL's pitcher was faced with an at-bat where if he'd given up a walk, the game would have been over. That's got to limit his options, to say nothing of the psychology of it.

ULL got away with it tonight, but it just seems arrogant to me. It's kind of like in football when a coach goes for the two-point conversion in the third quarter. He's over-thinking things. Just take the point and drop the Nostradamus act.

#23 2018-04-03 21:38:43 - USM baseball vs. ULL: game 1

stinkfist (764)

AndreWhere wrote:

ULL did something tonight that I thought was questionable when USM did it earlier in the year: they intentionally walked the bases loaded late in a tie game.

I understand the rationale: the go-ahead run is already at third anyway, so why not pick who you want your pitcher to throw to? In some cases (though not tonight), maybe you think you're setting up the double play.

It really puts the pitcher in a bad position, though. Can't remember what the exact situation was when USM did this, but tonight, ULL's pitcher was faced with an at-bat where if he'd given up a walk, the game would have been over. That's got to limit his options, to say nothing of the psychology of it.

ULL got away with it tonight, but it just seems arrogant to me. It's kind of like in football when a coach goes for the two-point conversion in the third quarter. He's over-thinking things. Just take the point and drop the Nostradamus act.

it's simply the right move against Wallner and was different than what we did to load 'em with back to back intentional walks (they didn't walk Reynolds intentionally).....

regardless, it doesn't matter with a man on 3rd....any hit ends the game....we needed the dp/force at the plate and were into the meat of their order.....all ull did was pass on Wallner to get to Slater/Bowen....with 1 out, it still gives you the dp/force at the plate.....it's the percentage move I would make every time....

Last edited by stinkfist (2018-04-03 21:40:04)

95368035975122i7o8%5B1%5D.jpg493758851198d75b9e7118c23f42f2ad02c1efee979.gif

Liked by:

#24 2018-04-03 21:57:56 - USM baseball vs. ULL: game 1

AndreWhere (1252)

stinkfist wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

it's simply the right move against Wallner and was different than what we did to load 'em with back to back intentional walks (they didn't walk Reynolds intentionally).....

regardless, it doesn't matter with a man on 3rd....any hit ends the game....we needed the dp/force at the plate and were into the meat of their order.....all ull did was pass on Wallner to get to Slater/Bowen....with 1 out, it still gives you the dp/force at the plate.....it's the percentage move I would make every time....

What ULL did tonight did set up the force play at the plate. That's a very good point.

Board footer