CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-10 18:45:25 - USM vs. Ole Miss baseball

AndreWhere (1252)

USM vs. Ole Miss baseball

7-0 Ole Miss as J.C. Keys got bombed early and got yanked in the 2nd. Not good.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#2 2018-04-10 18:55:21 - USM vs. Ole Miss baseball

AndreWhere (1252)

Re: USM vs. Ole Miss baseball

Eagles starting to warm up in the 5th. 7-3 thanks to the bats of Wallner, Reynolds, and Slater

#3 2018-04-10 20:10:54 - USM vs. Ole Miss baseball

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

We are not a top 20 team

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#4 2018-04-10 20:28:41 - USM vs. Ole Miss baseball

AndreWhere (1252)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

We are not a top 20 team

The rest of the season will probably demonstrate that.

11-3 Ole Miss now, bottom of the ninth.

Last edited by AndreWhere (2018-04-10 20:29:11)

#5 2018-04-10 20:45:27 - USM vs. Ole Miss baseball

stinkfist (764)

we simply don't have the pitching depth others have.....

for christ's sakes, keys is tossing 87 mph fastballs.....that's fk'n batting practice.....

not having colt or making wallner the pure closer or tues starter is fk'n killing us....

starting keys should never happen again this year.....once that boy gets in trouble, it gets in his head and he's skull fucked.....

trust me.....I know the yips and why they happen.....

95368035975122i7o8%5B1%5D.jpg493758851198d75b9e7118c23f42f2ad02c1efee979.gif

#6 2018-04-10 21:24:58 - USM vs. Ole Miss baseball

stinkfist wrote:

for christ's sakes, keys is tossing 87 mph fastballs.....that's fk'n batting practice.....

not having colt or making wallner the pure closer or tues starter is fk'n killing us....

starting keys should never happen again this year.....once that boy gets in trouble, it gets in his head and he's skull fucked.....

Tired of hearing about injuries as the reason we are not able to challenge the best teams on our schedule. How about just calling it for what it is and not what it could be. Minus Sandlin and two other arms our active pitchers should be playing for UNO or Charlotte or North Texas(if they had a program). You can’t ride Nick like Courtney Blades to a World Series. This team defines a typical Scott Berry team. Last season was good, not great, and was the exception in his years as head ball coach. If you really look at what 50 wins accomplished last year, it got you a win against UIC and South Alabama. The regional did nothing for us beyond that. Unfortunately that anomaly bought him a minimum of 3 more years.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Liked by:

#7 2018-04-10 21:25:35 - USM vs. Ole Miss baseball

Black Diamond Reb (418)

stinkfist wrote:

Trust me. I shook hands with Bigfoot at HCC once.

Not really. He was actually Bigfoot Jr.

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#8 2018-04-10 21:32:22 - USM vs. Ole Miss baseball

B&GBU (259)

I think we can do better than Berry.

"Did you ever consider that the next level would be a lower one?"

#9 2018-04-10 21:43:48 - USM vs. Ole Miss baseball

B&GBU wrote:

I think we can do better than Berry.

Right? The state of our baseball program is identical to Bowers last years as coach. This program and recruiting base is a prime stop with great appeal for a strong assistant from a major baseball program. Just friggin hire one of the 3 or 4 dudes that interview for but lose the Ms State gig. Any one of their candidates would be better than what we have now. Good lawd, how long does Berry get to keep sucking off the tit that Corky gave him?

#10 2018-04-10 22:36:16 - USM vs. Ole Miss baseball

stinkfist (764)

stinkfist wrote:

Tired of hearing about injuries as the reason we are not able to challenge the best teams on our schedule. How about just calling it for what it is and not what it could be. Minus Sandlin and two other arms our active pitchers should be playing for UNO or Charlotte or North Texas(if they had a program). You can’t ride Nick like Courtney Blades to a World Series. This team defines a typical Scott Berry team. Last season was good, not great, and was the exception in his years as head ball coach. If you really look at what 50 wins accomplished last year, it got you a win against UIC and South Alabama. The regional did nothing for us beyond that. Unfortunately that anomaly bought him a minimum of 3 more years.

you have to believe he's not DH'g Wallner in an attempt protect his draft status as an outfielder.....

however, I would suggest he take a look at what Ohtani is doing over at the Angels....he could easily do something similar here....

I would say it's a given he gets drafted by an AL team for his stroke and not his fielding ability or pitching....

any way you cut it, we need another horse in the stable on the mound......there's no way we win the cusa tourney with this pitching situation....it's plausible we don't make a regional at this pace.....losing midweek games and 2/3 conference isn't going to cut it.....

you just gotta start tossing Wallner as your closer or as a starter.....all I currently see is his talent being wasted by not being on the mound....

put Franklin in CF and let his speedy arse lead off....his OBP (which is comparable to many in the current order and can only improve if you bunt him or get him looking at pitches to get to first).....his slugging percentage is shit so anywhere else in the order is just silly....you either put him in the 1 or don't play him....

get that guy to first and he would steal 8 of every 10....plus it also brings the hit and run for Monte into play more often than the Monte/Guidry scenario at 1/2......put Guidry at the 6 and do whatever with the 7/8.....

there are so many things you can do with the batting order......but until we get a solid closer, it won't mean dick in the close games

I've been lobbying for Wallner to become the closer for some time now.....if it hasn't happened by now, best guess is it's not going to......that pretty much means we're fucked long term....

I don't like a guy coming from the field to the mound.....never have, never will.....it's just too much to ask from someone to handle in the flow of the game....

/rant

Last edited by stinkfist (2018-04-10 22:37:31)

#11 2018-04-10 22:59:46 - USM vs. Ole Miss baseball

stinkfist (764)

from the WKU thread just to pile on with another major fk'n issue......reared it's ugly twice tonight......just gawdammit

https://collegesportsunfiltered.com/vie … 294#p17294

also, we're really struggling lately in the field....our error count is unacceptable over the last few weeks.....lebo and slater have lost their fucking minds....

#12 2018-04-11 06:56:57 - USM vs. Ole Miss baseball

TheHeadEagle (27)

yeah, this team might make the tournament but it isn't getting beyond the first round.   I said this earlier in the season.  We've got some good players just not enough of them.

Liked by:

#13 2018-04-11 09:33:52 - USM vs. Ole Miss baseball

eaglenjxn (11)

stinkfist wrote:
stinkfist wrote:

you have to believe he's not DH'g Wallner in an attempt protect his draft status as an outfielder.....

however, I would suggest he take a look at what Ohtani is doing over at the Angels....he could easily do something similar here....

I would say it's a given he gets drafted by an AL team for his stroke and not his fielding ability or pitching....

any way you cut it, we need another horse in the stable on the mound......there's no way we win the cusa tourney with this pitching situation....it's plausible we don't make a regional at this pace.....losing midweek games and 2/3 conference isn't going to cut it.....

you just gotta start tossing Wallner as your closer or as a starter.....all I currently see is his talent being wasted by not being on the mound....

put Franklin in CF and let his speedy arse lead off....his OBP (which is comparable to many in the current order and can only improve if you bunt him or get him looking at pitches to get to first).....his slugging percentage is shit so anywhere else in the order is just silly....you either put him in the 1 or don't play him....

get that guy to first and he would steal 8 of every 10....plus it also brings the hit and run for Monte into play more often than the Monte/Guidry scenario at 1/2......put Guidry at the 6 and do whatever with the 7/8.....

there are so many things you can do with the batting order......but until we get a solid closer, it won't mean dick in the close games

I've been lobbying for Wallner to become the closer for some time now.....if it hasn't happened by now, best guess is it's not going to......that pretty much means we're fucked long term....

I don't like a guy coming from the field to the mound.....never have, never will.....it's just too much to ask from someone to handle in the flow of the game....

/rant

I still don’t know what you’re getting at with Franklin. I’m not sure why his problems are not an issue at lead off or how he’s more beneficial there. Because he’s fast like a traditional leadoff? You’re ensuring that your worst hitter and OBP guy has the most at-bats and there’s less of a chance that Reynolds and Wallner come up with runners on.

I agree on Wallner. And honestly, I probably would have made him a pitcher—or at least given him more work developing there. As is, I don’t think he’s a reliable closer. He throws. He doesn’t pitch. If teams have seen that kind of velocity and adjust, it doesn’t have much movement. That’s why Rice tagged him. That said, he’s still better than most of our other options but the OF to pitcher shift doesn’t work. The big thing is that Berry has no interest in using him in anything outside of exclusively traditional save situations, which doesn’t happen a ton.

#14 2018-04-11 09:45:54 - USM vs. Ole Miss baseball

eaglenjxn (11)

TheHeadEagle wrote:

yeah, this team might make the tournament but it isn't getting beyond the first round.   I said this earlier in the season.  We've got some good players just not enough of them.

Without dramatic improvement on the mound, I don’t think we will get a bid—maybe not even on the bubble.

We are currently 55th and 2-6 against the Top 50. If those numbers are similar in May, that ain’t getting us close to a Regional bid.

#15 2018-04-11 09:58:20 - USM vs. Ole Miss baseball

What an absolute waste of potential with our baseball program. We have a great foundation but operate with a conservative mindset.

Just like the Braves or Rangers......

#16 2018-04-13 00:04:47 - USM vs. Ole Miss baseball

stinkfist (764)

eaglenjxn wrote:
stinkfist wrote:

/rant

I still don’t know what you’re getting at with Franklin. I’m not sure why his problems are not an issue at lead off or how he’s more beneficial there. Because he’s fast like a traditional leadoff? You’re ensuring that your worst hitter and OBP guy has the most at-bats and there’s less of a chance that Reynolds and Wallner come up with runners on.

I agree on Wallner. And honestly, I probably would have made him a pitcher—or at least given him more work developing there. As is, I don’t think he’s a reliable closer. He throws. He doesn’t pitch. If teams have seen that kind of velocity and adjust, it doesn’t have much movement. That’s why Rice tagged him. That said, he’s still better than most of our other options but the OF to pitcher shift doesn’t work. The big thing is that Berry has no interest in using him in anything outside of exclusively traditional save situations, which doesn’t happen a ton.

the thing with Franklin is his slugging percentage is junk but his OBP is NOT the worst on the team.....I only see it improving in the 1 spot by bunting and getting him to look at more pitches for walks.....anywhere else in the order just doesn't make sense....it also opens up the hit and run opportunity when he gets on base to minimize the DP....his OBP isn't much different than Monte's to view from that perspective....we're talking the difference between 35% and 40%....

here's the BA/OBP/SP for the handful in that range....

Casey Maack    Southern Miss    2B    .222    .327    .333   
LeeMarcus Boyd    Southern Miss    SS    .270    .344    .426   
Fred Franklin    Southern Miss    CF    .244    .347    .244   
Daniel Keating    Southern Miss    DH    .269    .356    .410   
Cole Donaldson    Southern Miss    C    .275    .358    .350   
Mason Irby    Southern Miss    RF    .210    .368    .272   
Jaylon Keys    Southern Miss    CF    .265    .375    .353   
Bryant Bowen    Southern Miss    C    .250    .375    .365
Gabe Montenegro    Southern Miss    LF    .308    .397    .394

I put Monte at the 2 all day long.....that's where I wanted him weeks ago....again, at least he moved him out of the 8 which was a gimme....also, Monte has all of 1 stolen base.....that's ridiculous from the 1 spot....

I simply think you go with that, the current 3/4/5 with Guidry in the 6, whomever in the 7/8, and Lebo in the 9.....

you can DH whoever, but it should be Wallner and him on the mound as our Tues starter or closer......and you're right, our close opportunities may be few, but our blown saves by not having a solid 8/9 inning guy has contributed to that as well....

hell, if we can take the starter thru the 5th, you can pitch match ups to get to Wallner....or you make him the Tuesday pitcher.....I personally would develop him as a closer, but that's just me....

the bottom line is we need him on the mound and Franklin's speed on the bases....I know he made an error the other day, but his speed in CF is what you want....

Last edited by stinkfist (2018-04-13 00:21:40)

#17 2018-04-13 09:34:12 - USM vs. Ole Miss baseball

Black Diamond Reb (418)

stinkfist wrote:

The bottom line is we're a bubble regional squad and what's important isn't happening.

Oh well.

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#18 2018-04-13 17:04:07 - USM vs. Ole Miss baseball

eaglenjxn (11)

stinkfist wrote:
eaglenjxn wrote:
stinkfist wrote:

/rant

the thing with Franklin is his slugging percentage is junk but his OBP is NOT the worst on the team.....I only see it improving in the 1 spot by bunting and getting him to look at more pitches for walks.....anywhere else in the order just doesn't make sense....it also opens up the hit and run opportunity when he gets on base to minimize the DP....his OBP isn't much different than Monte's to view from that perspective....we're talking the difference between 35% and 40%....

I put Monte at the 2 all day long.....that's where I wanted him weeks ago....again, at least he moved him out of the 8 which was a gimme....also, Monte has all of 1 stolen base.....that's ridiculous from the 1 spot....

I simply think you go with that, the current 3/4/5 with Guidry in the 6, whomever in the 7/8, and Lebo in the 9.....

you can DH whoever, but it should be Wallner and him on the mound as our Tues starter or closer......and you're right, our close opportunities may be few, but our blown saves by not having a solid 8/9 inning guy has contributed to that as well....

hell, if we can take the starter thru the 5th, you can pitch match ups to get to Wallner....or you make him the Tuesday pitcher.....I personally would develop him as a closer, but that's just me....

the bottom line is we need him on the mound and Franklin's speed on the bases....I know he made an error the other day, but his speed in CF is what you want....

His on-base would be the worst in the starting lineup.

40 and 35 percent is a huge difference in baseball.

You’re talking like your 1 hitter leads off every inning. What about the other four ABs every game in which he potentially hits in spots where we need someone who can do something other than walk, bunt, or strike out.

Last edited by eaglenjxn (2018-04-13 17:05:44)

#19 2018-04-14 23:21:26 - USM vs. Ole Miss baseball

stinkfist (764)

eaglenjxn wrote:
stinkfist wrote:
eaglenjxn wrote:

His on-base would be the worst in the starting lineup.

40 and 35 percent is a huge difference in baseball.

You’re talking like your 1 hitter leads off every inning. What about the other four ABs every game in which he potentially hits in spots where we need someone who can do something other than walk, bunt, or strike out.

that is incorrect.....

update on Franklin's BA/OBP/SLG....

Fred Franklin    Southern Miss    CF    .262    .360 .262

that puts his OBP higher than Boyd, Keating, and Donaldson.....

he also has only 4 fewer runs scored than Monte with 66 fewer appearances at the plate.....

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........9/9 stolen bases.......that's quite tasty.....

Monte is our #4 RBI guy at the 1.....you have to move him to the 2.....Guidry has 12 fewer with Monte having the 4th highest BA......there's a problem right there...

Monte has 1 stolen base.....Franklin is 9/9 with 66 fewer plate appearances....that in itself is insane....

Guidry and Franklin's BA are .264 and .262 respectively......Guidry's SLG and OPS is much higher than Franklin's.....put him in a spot where more men are potentially on base as the game progresses...

Monte's BA is .306.....get Franklin on to lead off the game (I see his OBP hitting the .400 mark at the 1 spot), and it almost turns into a free run with that 2/3/4/5 order....

oh yeah, Franklin only has 5 fewer Runs scored vs. Guidry with 49 fewer plate appearance....Guidry is killing us at the 2

I simply don't get how you or Berry are not seeing these numbers.....

Franklin's tweet was accurate (even though I didn't like him doing it that way)......

the numbers are there...

Last edited by stinkfist (2018-04-14 23:26:15)

Board footer