CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-17 20:39:34 - I've written some new code to fix the read / unread thread system

admin (289)
Administrator

I've written some new code to fix the read / unread thread system

The system that marks unread threads as bold has been a thorn in my side since day one. I have just completed a thorough investigation of these issues, and have deployed some changes that should address them.

There is one big caveat: in order to facilitate the transition from the old "unread" subsystem to the new subsystem, I've had to arbitrarily show the 10 most recent threads as "unread" for everyone, and to show everything else as "read" for everyone. This is a compromise that should pretty quickly work itself out.

Also, please note that I haven't touched the code that marks entire sub-forums ("Southern Miss," "Politics," etc.) as unread. I've only attempted to fix the "unread" logic for individual topics.

Any details about your user experience are more than welcome.

#2 2018-05-17 20:45:51 - I've written some new code to fix the read / unread thread system

stinkfist (764)

Re: I've written some new code to fix the read / unread thread system

clicked them all and :thumbsup: on both cpu and iphone.....

#winner

95368035975122i7o8%5B1%5D.jpg493758851198d75b9e7118c23f42f2ad02c1efee979.gif

#3 2018-05-17 20:55:27 - I've written some new code to fix the read / unread thread system

admin (289)
Administrator

stinkfist wrote:

clicked them all and :thumbsup: on both cpu and iphone.....

#winner

Thanks for taking a look. This is something I've half-assed in the past because I figured 1) the out-of-the-box functionality was probably pretty damn good and 2) I had bigger fish to fry.

Assertion #2 was probably valid, but assertion #1 (about the quality of the out-of-the-box functionality) was just wrong. With all respect to the people who wrote FluxBB, I just don't agree with the way they tried to implement the "unread link" feature.

So, I've written a replacement system from scratch. It will ultimately require more computing power to run than the original FluxBB implementation, but sometimes the extra hardware is just necessary to make things work right.

If USM really attracts enough traffic to force me to upgrade the server, well, that's a good problem to have in my book.

Liked by:

#4 2018-05-18 11:21:16 - I've written some new code to fix the read / unread thread system

admin (289)
Administrator

One footnote to this: I've just updated the "Mark all topics as read" and "Mark this forum as read" links to work with the new system. If you tried using these links between last night's changes and now, they probably didn't work.

Board footer