CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-28 21:41:38 - Berry

EagleFWB (176)

Berry

Please keep the bullshit to a minimum....

I really don't have anything against Berry, but I'm also not a huge fan of his. I know he gets a shit ton of criticism. A lot of which is justified.

In all honesty what more do you want from him?  He has helped build a very consistent baseball team. We are a regional team year in and out for 15 years now? We haven't missed many. He's played in conference championship three years in a row and we just won regular and tournament titles. In a regional again with a shot at the CWS.

What is the expectation for a USM baseball coach? Realistically, obviously with salary as part of the discussion.

#2 2018-05-28 21:53:27 - Berry

stinkfist (764)

Re: Berry

I would classify "achieved expectations" during his tenure....

my main criticism(s) is the way he uses small ball too early at times and how he structures the lineup (which he has revised very well this year since the beginning of the season)

that'd be about it for me.....

if he starts Sandlin in g1, it will satisfy my disdain for my latter gripe.....

it is what it be.....they don't pay me to corch or be a fan......I'm only the latter with an opinion....

95368035975122i7o8%5B1%5D.jpg493758851198d75b9e7118c23f42f2ad02c1efee979.gif

#3 2018-05-28 22:13:34 - Berry

Black Diamond Reb (418)

EagleFWB wrote:

We are a regional team year in and out for 15 years now? We haven't missed many. He's played in conference championship three years in a row and we just won regular and tournament titles. In a regional again with a shot at the CWS.

Regional Ws vs. Jacksonville State, South Al, Chicago Someshit. Never a threat to make Omaha, rarely a Super. Expectations? Sure .. Picnics, hosting, and beating imaginary in state rivals are priorities on 4th street whether anyone wants to admit it or not. He's satisfying those needs.

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#4 2018-05-28 22:22:45 - Berry

stinkfist (764)

Black Diamond Reb wrote:
EagleFWB wrote:

We are a regional team year in and out for 15 years now? We haven't missed many. He's played in conference championship three years in a row and we just won regular and tournament titles. In a regional again with a shot at the CWS.

Regional Ws vs. Jacksonville State, South Al, Chicago Someshit. Never a threat to make Omaha, rarely a Super. Expectations? Sure .. Picnics, hosting, and beating imaginary in state rivals are priorities on 4th street whether anyone wants to admit it or not. He's satisfying those needs.

there's really no other way to look at it....me 'love' here 'too' long...

#5 2018-05-29 00:20:24 - Berry

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

EagleFWB wrote:

Please keep the bullshit to a minimum....

I really don't have anything against Berry, but I'm also not a huge fan of his. I know he gets a shit ton of criticism. A lot of which is justified.

In all honesty what more do you want from him?  He has helped build a very consistent baseball team. We are a regional team year in and out for 15 years now? We haven't missed many. He's played in conference championship three years in a row and we just won regular and tournament titles. In a regional again with a shot at the CWS.

What is the expectation for a USM baseball coach? Realistically, obviously with salary as part of the discussion.

First, I challenge your statement that we are a regional team year in, year out for 15 years now. We lost four key years in 2012, 13, 14 and 15 to build our program following our 2009 CWS appearance. Berry should have been fired in 2015. This is a significant reason he doesn't have the trust of a majority of our fanbase.

He doesn't win when it matters outside CUSA. Easy to blame the players but they come and go each year. The consistent piece to our lack of post season success is Berry. In 9 seasons as head coach here are the big skins he has on the NCAA wall: UIC, USA, Jacksonville St. Almost all of our games in the post season against quality opponents are embarrassing blowouts.

The easy debate is to say......look what he does for what he gets paid. Thats a horrible defense in any line of business. If the man wants to make more, win the ones that matter outside of Charlotte and UAB when it counts. If he does win a regional and we cant bump him up another 75-100K, he can find a job somewhere else. I have zero interest in keeping any coach, including Berry, who is content making what he makes and points at conference wins as his ticket to continued employment.

Just look at the coach we are going against on Friday. Dan Heefer has been the head ball coach for about the same amount of time as Berry. Smaller school, smaller conference, less resources..... he has taken DBU to a fifth straight regional. He has 8 total regional appearances as head coach at DBU. Here are his NCAA post season skins.....Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, Oregon St, Texas Tech and Virginia. He won a regional as well.....

When you taste success, its critical that you make the most of the opportunity. Berry was given the ball in 2010 to take us to the next level. He has not done that in nine seasons.

This regional.....this team....has the ability to win its group. If Berry can't do it now, he will never do it.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#6 2018-05-29 06:45:05 - Berry

EagleFWB (176)

That's a really good post NG and can't disagree with much of it.

There is no way we can fire him now and I don't think that even needs to be a topic or issue. If we did, it really would be a situation of who the hell wants to come coach here now. He's been consistent and we don't pay him much. I don't see any coach wanting to jump on that if we fired him. Now let's say we go on a big skid for the next few years, then that's a different scenerio.

Now, I would think that he has done enough to attract the attention of bigger schools who could offer a lot more $$$. If that were to happen I think that USM is a pretty attractive baseball gig, but like football, we HAVE to open up the check book if we are going to make a forward progress kind of hire.

#7 2018-05-29 09:56:43 - Berry

Black Diamond Reb (418)

Someone on Board X researched that Berry was the third highest paid coach in SUNWACUSA safely assuming Graham (Unreported Figures) was the highest. Someone also claimed that Berry was losing support countered by " The Dugout Club / Funding was as high as it's ever been."

2 and Q to DBU / ORU and he'll rightly receive criticism. 1-2 / 2-2 and getting throttled by Arkansas will be " That mean ole SEC money" mantra with the accompanying Ifs, Hopes, and Maybes. I expect the latter.

"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."

#8 2018-05-29 10:47:39 - Berry

Black Diamond Reb wrote:

2 and Q to DBU / ORU and he'll rightly receive criticism. 1-2 / 2-2 and getting throttled by Arkansas will be " That mean ole SEC money" mantra with the accompanying Ifs, Hopes, and Maybes. I expect the latter.

All we have to go on are past results and past results support 1-2 at best this week. I find it funny how so many are wanting to save Sandlin for the SEC opponent. DBU is by far one of the most experienced, regional tested progams in the entire tournament. They are going to be every bit as challenging as Arkansas.

Reality is our program is equal to the Seawolves of Stony Brook. Had a bunch of conference tourney titles, made the world series in 2012, made another regional and then entered a three year dead period of no success(we had 4 years post CWS). We should be like Coastal Carolina right now. Since 2008 they have been to eight regionals, won three of those and the world series. This weekend they are hosting once again. They continue to build on each success. Only one year, last year, did they miss a regional. I dont know what Coastal pays their coach this year but one year ago he was making $270K.

As a side note, can someone tell Judy to get off her arse and get Dallas Baptist and Coastal in our conference. Might as well have one sport that is respected nationally.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#9 2018-05-29 11:49:22 - Berry

stinkfist (764)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:
Black Diamond Reb wrote:

All we have to go on are past results and past results support 1-2 at best this week. I find it funny how so many are wanting to save Sandlin for the SEC opponent. DBU is by far one of the most experienced, regional tested progams in the entire tournament. They are going to be every bit as challenging as Arkansas.

Reality is our program is equal to the Seawolves of Stony Brook. Had a bunch of conference tourney titles, made the world series in 2012, made another regional and then entered a three year dead period of no success(we had 4 years post CWS). We should be like Coastal Carolina right now. Since 2008 they have been to eight regionals, won three of those and the world series. This weekend they are hosting once again. They continue to build on each success. Only one year, last year, did they miss a regional. I dont know what Coastal pays their coach this year but one year ago he was making $270K.

As a side note, can someone tell Judy to get off her arse and get Dallas Baptist and Coastal in our conference. Might as well have one sport that is respected nationally.

maybe b/c Powers is solid....neither guarantee a win in either match-up....however, it is the higher percentage move if arky wins g1...if OR pulls the upset, then Sandlin is the move...

playing the later game is a YUGE advantage

Last edited by stinkfist (2018-05-29 12:03:43)

#10 2018-05-29 12:12:02 - Berry

Black Diamond Reb (418)

stinkfist wrote:

Maybe b/c Powers is solid vs. SUNWACers and lesser.

Wins over UT - Martin, Eastern Michigan, FIU, Middle Tennessee, and UTSA.

Practically Kent Mercker Jr.

#11 2018-05-29 12:19:34 - Berry

stinkfist (764)

Black Diamond Reb wrote:
stinkfist wrote:

Maybe b/c Powers is solid vs. SUNWACers and lesser.

Wins over UT - Martin, Eastern Michigan, FIU, Middle Tennessee, and UTSA.

Lmao....yeah, toss him against arky if they win the early game....that make-uh much-a mower-sense. /sarc

it all depends what happens in the first game how you play it...

#12 2018-05-29 12:58:59 - Berry

Black Diamond Reb (418)

So he hasn't beaten any semblance of a regional team, so you start him vs. a perennial postseason squad "hoping" you can stay in the winner's bracket? And then throw Fydrich Jr vs. ORU "hoping" to "maybe" stay alive?

#13 2018-05-29 13:15:59 - Berry

Black Diamond Reb wrote:

The last man to throw a no no for the Bravos.......

great comparison.....

#14 2018-05-29 13:41:16 - Berry

Black Diamond Reb (418)

Nugget's Ghostbuster;18625/ wrote:

Kent Mercker is a great comparison.....

Except Mercker actually won something other than billboard drawings.

#15 2018-05-29 13:44:33 - Berry

99beers (303)

Raise and extension!!!   No shit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Georgia Tech SwagFag can eat zombie feces...loser. #PoundSand

#16 2018-05-29 15:24:43 - Berry

stinkfist (764)

Black Diamond Reb wrote:

So he hasn't beaten any semblance of a regional team, so you start him vs. a perennial postseason squad "hoping" you can stay in the winner's bracket? And then throw Fydrich Jr vs. ORU "hoping" to "maybe" stay alive?

if arky wins the early game, ya gaddammed right that's what you do....

it's easily the percentage play if you wanna win the regional.....

if you wanna play around with your pud and fudgepack, then you start Sandlin and hope for the best against arky in r2....

#17 2018-05-29 17:13:26 - Berry

AndreWhere (1252)

I feel like Berry's about 85% of what he could be in just about every area. He's not awful. I doubt he's the absolute best at managing the bullpen or filling out a lineup card, though. Seems to me he does a lot of things on gut feel.

That said (and this is hardly an apples-to-apples comparison), I think Berry's better at his job than anyone on that Barnum & Bailey Circus of a football staff USM has right now. So is Doc Sadler.

I really hope Hop et al. prove me wrong this Fall, but I fully anticipate a pretty big collapse.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

Liked by:

#18 2018-05-29 21:35:46 - Berry

AndreWhere wrote:

I think Berry's better at his job than anyone on that Barnum & Bailey Circus of a football staff USM has right now. So is Doc Sadler.

I really hope Hop et al. prove me wrong this Fall, but I fully anticipate a pretty big collapse.

Some guys are meant to be great assistants.......Berry is probably that guy. Knowing a lot about baseball doesn't automatically translate into leadership.

Hop is doing the best Hop can do and is paid slightly below CUSA market value in all honesty. He is proving to be one of the best recruiters we have experienced here. If we find the right assistant chemistry on offense he will ascend to the top of CUSA on a consistent basis......which isn't great.......but its something we have not had since Fedoras last season so you have to start somewhere. The thing with Hop.....I don't see him leaving if he wins one or two CUSA Judyships.......which officially turns into Bower 2.0 in 6 or 7 years......

#19 2018-05-29 21:37:32 - Berry

AndreWhere (1252)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

I think Berry's better at his job than anyone on that Barnum & Bailey Circus of a football staff USM has right now. So is Doc Sadler.

Some guys are meant to be great assistants.......Berry is probably that guy. Knowing a lot about baseball doesn't automatically translate into leadership.

Hop is doing the best Hop can do and is paid slightly below CUSA market value in all honesty. He is proving to be one of the best recruiters we have experienced here. If we find the right assistant chemistry on offense he will ascend to the top of CUSA on a consistent basis......which isn't great.......but its something we have not had since Fedoras last season so you have to start somewhere. The thing with Hop.....I don't see him leaving if he wins one or two CUSA Judyships.......which officially turns into Bower 2.0 in 6 or 7 years......

Can't really disagree with any of that. If nothing else, Hopson does seem to be a pretty good recruiter. Sure "hope" it pays off.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#20 2018-05-30 07:24:18 - Berry

Black Diamond Reb (418)

AndreWhere wrote:

If nothing else, hope.

Hear our battle cry

Liked by:

Board footer