CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#21 2017-09-05 22:10:19 - 22,761 - WTF?

Cyc46 (0)

Re: 22,761 - WTF?

What reason is there to go to a game? Entertainment? The product? everything about USM football from stadium, food, the scoreboard audio is horrible, etc it's em brass if. Winning a CUSA championship is like winning a race at fat camp. There is absolutely nothing about our program that generates a lick of excitement.

#22 2017-09-05 22:21:58 - 22,761 - WTF?

southern miss slacker (304)

Cyc46 wrote:

What reason is there to go to a game? Entertainment? The product? everything about USM football from stadium, food, the scoreboard audio is horrible, etc it's em brass if. Winning a CUSA championship is like winning a race at fat camp. There is absolutely nothing about our program that generates a lick of excitement.

"the bbq nachos are good."

#23 2017-09-05 22:26:55 - 22,761 - WTF?

southern miss slacker (304)

I didn't notice and have not read much but did anyone from USM or Hopson or anyone connected with the Univ discuss or make a comment about the attendance?

#24 2017-09-05 22:33:42 - 22,761 - WTF?

Cyc46 (0)

southern miss slacker wrote:
Cyc46 wrote:

"the bbq nachos are good."

The bbq nachos are average, fify.

#25 2017-09-06 06:30:12 - 22,761 - WTF?

AEIOUSometimesWhy (0)

Cyc46 wrote:

Stadium-- It's old. It needs revamping. We're poor. There's not enough funding to do much other than put bandaids, chewing gum, and paper clips on pipes.

Food-- Aramark (Eagle Dining) is one of the worst things at USM. They have a monopoly on almost every campus in the southeast/nation. Every school they are at they ruin whatever food or concession is there. I was at Bobby Dodd over the summer for an Atlanta United match, and Aramark runs their concessions as well- not as bad as ours, but still rundown and lackluster (though having chick fil a in the stadium was nice). They've promised to re-do concessions, add food places on campus, and upgrade their menus at all venues and have all fallen through. 

Scoreboard Audio-- This is actually something that can be changed. However, what there are varying opinions on how the scoreboard and game time atmosphere should be ran. You may be upset by it, but others think that it's okay. I think losing a lot of good minds in the athletic department is still hurting any innovation that could take place. Also, I think the people who are there are afraid of change or innovation or if they do make changes it's terrible (aka Karaoke with the coaches)

The Conference-- It is what it is. It's the result of so many different factors that explaining them feels like a broken record player. Judy is terrible. It's a bunch of FBS startups and G5 retreads. But what's sad is everyone on here seems to think that we're so much better than this conference and that we need out, well why haven't we won a conference championship since the last conference reorganization. We have to win first to be able to criticize the teams in our conference (agreeing with your lackluster product comment). We have to generate excitement about matchups with LA Tech or UTSA (yes, I know this sounds like crap). You can't talk crap if you don't have anything recent to back it up.

"If you are going to war and if you get to pick first, choose Southern Mississippi. Always choose Southern Mississippi. No matter how hard you fight, these folks will fight harder.”-- Mickey Spagnola

#26 2017-09-06 07:05:47 - 22,761 - WTF?

Cyc46 (0)

AEIOUSometimesWhy wrote:
Cyc46 wrote:

Stadium-- It's old. It needs revamping. We're poor. There's not enough funding to do much other than put bandaids, chewing gum, and paper clips on pipes.

Food-- Aramark (Eagle Dining) is one of the worst things at USM. They have a monopoly on almost every campus in the southeast/nation. Every school they are at they ruin whatever food or concession is there. I was at Bobby Dodd over the summer for an Atlanta United match, and Aramark runs their concessions as well- not as bad as ours, but still rundown and lackluster (though having chick fil a in the stadium was nice). They've promised to re-do concessions, add food places on campus, and upgrade their menus at all venues and have all fallen through. 

Scoreboard Audio-- This is actually something that can be changed. However, what there are varying opinions on how the scoreboard and game time atmosphere should be ran. You may be upset by it, but others think that it's okay. I think losing a lot of good minds in the athletic department is still hurting any innovation that could take place. Also, I think the people who are there are afraid of change or innovation or if they do make changes it's terrible (aka Karaoke with the coaches)

The Conference-- It is what it is. It's the result of so many different factors that explaining them feels like a broken record player. Judy is terrible. It's a bunch of FBS startups and G5 retreads. But what's sad is everyone on here seems to think that we're so much better than this conference and that we need out, well why haven't we won a conference championship since the last conference reorganization. We have to win first to be able to criticize the teams in our conference (agreeing with your lackluster product comment). We have to generate excitement about matchups with LA Tech or UTSA (yes, I know this sounds like crap). You can't talk crap if you don't have anything recent to back it up.

You and what beers said above is correct. Be it right or wrong so many people in this region see the team they support as an extension to their life/family. I got friends that if something bad happened at LSU or MSU etc they are distraught. We don't have that on people. I think we did to some extent in CUSA 1.0 or 2.0. I think we need to look to a few region schools form a 10 team conference and rebrand. We've got to get rid of CUSA even the name is a joke these days.

#27 2017-09-06 07:26:58 - 22,761 - WTF?

beagle (173)

I've been clamoring for a new league for about 2 years now. I'd rather play ULL and USA over Charlotte and UNT, but I don't think that gets the average South Mississippian excited.

East: WKU, Marshall, App, MTSU, UAB, Georgia Southern
West: USA, USM, LaTech, ULL, Rice, Arky State

Last edited by beagle (2017-09-06 07:27:14)

"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#28 2017-09-06 08:12:49 - 22,761 - WTF?

southerner92 (30)

I have missed 1 home game in last 28 years so I tried to think of all the DAY home games played on LABOR DAY weekend during this period and attendance. There was Memphis State in 1992 (around 15,000 but one of the best finishes to a game at home ever), Tulane in 1999 (great crowd but was marketed well, hot as hell and actually played on Labor Day), Oklahoma State in 2001 (around 22,000 actual but it did rain, Les Miles debut as head coach), and Illinois in 2002 (around 22,000 actual but it rained again, Derrick Nix was a beast). Anybody who was surprised by the attendance Saturday doesn't have a clue about the USM fanbase. And yes, Hurricane permitting, the crowd for a SWAC opponent this Saturday NIGHT will be larger than last week. Its just how USM fans have been for at least the last 28 years.

Last edited by southerner92 (2017-09-06 08:20:03)

#29 2017-09-06 08:20:17 - 22,761 - WTF?

Cyc46 (0)

beagle wrote:

I've been clamoring for a new league for about 2 years now. I'd rather play ULL and USA over Charlotte and UNT, but I don't think that gets the average South Mississippian excited.

East: WKU, Marshall, App, MTSU, UAB, Georgia Southern
West: USA, USM, LaTech, ULL, Rice, Arky State

I think you are under rating the average USM fans dislike for CUSA. This conference sucks, it's associated with our down fall. A region League like yours or say USA ULL Ark State Mid Ten WKU UAB Troy USA Tech USM would be much better.

#30 2017-09-06 08:22:36 - 22,761 - WTF?

Cyc46 (0)

In the above league the schools are at least close enough to cut down on travel costs and build a few rivalries. Might even get us back to 28k if we market it right.

#31 2017-09-06 08:29:57 - 22,761 - WTF?

beagle (173)

southerner92 wrote:

I have missed 1 home game in last 28 years

That's impressive. Well done.

I've made 71/77 since 2004. Had a 43 game streak going from 2005-2012 but by the end of the year I couldn't support EJ so I missed the final 2 home games. Missed the final 2 home games of 2013 because I wasn't interested in watching us getting blasted by FAU and MTSU. Missed the UAB game in 2014. Also missed the Tulsa game back in 2005.

We are 0-6 in home games I've missed during this timespan.

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#32 2017-09-06 08:39:52 - 22,761 - WTF?

southerner92 (30)

I missed the FAU game in 2013. My son had a youth football playoff game. Damn day games.

#33 2017-09-06 08:39:53 - 22,761 - WTF?

AEIOUSometimesWhy (0)

I think a more regional league is something that G5 programs will start to shift to in the coming years. I think it would work out better for us to create these local rivalries (have one or two scheduled match-ups with P5 programs) and try to get our fanbase excited about them if marketed right. I grew up with CUSA 1.0 and 2.0, and I now long for a yearly rivalry game with a trophy or bragging rights at stake. Hating a team you play every year is a part of the college football experience (I'm trying to hate LA Tech, but we've only played them a handful of times in my lifetime).

However, I don't think this will happen until the TV contracts are up in the near future. The fact of the matter is ESPN is dying as a traditional TV broadcaster. The amount of people watching sporting events on TV is on the decline due to the number of cord cutters. Streaming services are up and are still emerging as a market as far as the sporting world goes. When the TV contracts are set to expire, that's when I think a lot of conference realignment (and/or independence) will happen.

"If you are going to war and if you get to pick first, choose Southern Mississippi. Always choose Southern Mississippi. No matter how hard you fight, these folks will fight harder.”-- Mickey Spagnola

#34 2017-09-06 08:41:12 - 22,761 - WTF?

AEIOUSometimesWhy (0)

southerner92 wrote:

I have missed 1 home game in last 28 years so I tried to think of all the DAY home games played on LABOR DAY weekend during this period and attendance. There was Memphis State in 1992 (around 15,000 but one of the best finishes to a game at home ever), Tulane in 1999 (great crowd but was marketed well, hot as hell and actually played on Labor Day), Oklahoma State in 2001 (around 22,000 actual but it did rain, Les Miles debut as head coach), and Illinois in 2002 (around 22,000 actual but it rained again, Derrick Nix was a beast). Anybody who was surprised by the attendance Saturday doesn't have a clue about the USM fanbase. And yes, Hurricane permitting, the crowd for a SWAC opponent this Saturday NIGHT will be larger than last week. Its just how USM fans have been for at least the last 28 years.

That's extremely impressive. Also, a point I didn't think of. Day games are always less attended than night games for us. I also think the Southern game will have more people because Southern University will bring more people than Kentucky did.

#35 2017-09-06 08:55:26 - 22,761 - WTF?

beagle (173)

AEIOUSometimesWhy wrote:

I think a more regional league is something that G5 programs will start to shift to in the coming years. I think it would work out better for us to create these local rivalries (have one or two scheduled match-ups with P5 programs) and try to get our fanbase excited about them if marketed right. I grew up with CUSA 1.0 and 2.0, and I now long for a yearly rivalry game with a trophy or bragging rights at stake. Hating a team you play every year is a part of the college football experience (I'm trying to hate LA Tech, but we've only played them a handful of times in my lifetime).

However, I don't think this will happen until the TV contracts are up in the near future. The fact of the matter is ESPN is dying as a traditional TV broadcaster. The amount of people watching sporting events on TV is on the decline due to the number of cord cutters. Streaming services are up and are still emerging as a market as far as the sporting world goes. When the TV contracts are set to expire, that's when I think a lot of conference realignment (and/or independence) will happen.

I know this sounds sad, especially to the old-school fans, but South Alabama has the potential to be a rival down the road.

Easy drive, we get students from Mobile Bay, they get students from the Coast, etc. Only problem is they have no fans. They averaged 16k per game last year and that was with a 30k game vs Troy because they had a bunch of fans travel. I'm going go to their game Friday vs a top 15 OkState and it's not going to sellout or probably even come close.

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#36 2017-09-06 09:32:59 - 22,761 - WTF?

AEIOUSometimesWhy (0)

beagle wrote:
AEIOUSometimesWhy wrote:

I know this sounds sad, especially to the old-school fans, but South Alabama has the potential to be a rival down the road.

Easy drive, we get students from Mobile Bay, they get students from the Coast, etc. Only problem is they have no fans. They averaged 16k per game last year and that was with a 30k game vs Troy because they had a bunch of fans travel. I'm going go to their game Friday vs a top 15 OkState and it's not going to sellout or probably even come close.

It does sound sad. But, that same resistance to change has put us in this "same old, same old" attitude that we're stuck in now. As long as we can adapt to change and use it to our advantage, we can leverage ourselves back into the perennial G5 program that we've been in the past.

#37 2017-09-06 10:04:36 - 22,761 - WTF?

99beers (303)

With everything that has been said in this thread.........There is still no plausible excuse as to why we only had 18K in the stands for a SEC matchup.  We will probably never get another P5 team in the Rock.  And folks wonder why we are considered little league.  I don't know how you fix the rampant "I don't give a fuck" mode we are in, from both a fan and administration standpoint.   I do know we pay folks to "fix" the problems, and that ain't working.  I feel horrible for the players.  They bust there asses and get to perform in front of 18K....a fucking SEC team.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Georgia Tech SwagFag can eat zombie feces...loser. #PoundSand

#38 2017-09-06 10:08:24 - 22,761 - WTF?

beagle (173)

99beers wrote:

With everything that has been said in this thread.........There is still no plausible excuse as to why we only had 18K in the stands for a SEC matchup.  We will probably never get another P5 team in the Rock.  And folks wonder why we are considered little league.  I don't know how you fix the rampant "I don't give a fuck" mode we are in, from both a fan and administration standpoint.   I do know we pay folks to "fix" the problems, and that ain't working.  I feel horrible for the players.  They bust there asses and get to perform in front of 18K....a fucking SEC team.

State is supposed to come here in 2024 (and the buyout is pretty hefty). But that's not for another 7 years. Easily the longest gap between P5/BCS home games in the CUSA era.

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#39 2017-09-06 10:33:00 - 22,761 - WTF?

99beers (303)

This was a prime opportunity for our administration to make a "call for action" statement.  A simple statement such as "let's show them SEC folks we can pack a stadium!"   They did NOTHING!  IMG did NOTHING.  Snow cones for the kiddies ain't going to do it folks.  Leadership starts at the top.

Who was it that actually said....."We are going to be okay!" 

You must question the higher ups as to why they are content to keep things the same for the past 35 years.  Nothing has changed for the better.........NOTHING.  WE must demand better.  We must stop accepting the excuses.  WE must do something.

The stadium Saturday was MAYBE 1/2 full.......  meaning about 18K in the stands.  If that ain't rock bottom, I don't know what is. 

Admit there is a problem. 
Look for real solutions to the problem. 
Solve the problem. 

And it doesn't mean firing another coach for an answer to the problem.

Everyone says we can't talk any more because we can't win the championship in this bullshit conference we are in.  I CALL TOTAL BULLSHIT ON THAT.  We have been dragged down to there levels..... our adminIstration allowed us to be dragged to the bottom to drown. 

WE ARE NOT OKAY!

Last edited by 99beers (2017-09-06 10:43:28)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Georgia Tech SwagFag can eat zombie feces...loser. #PoundSand

#40 2017-09-06 10:45:12 - 22,761 - WTF?

beagle (173)

beagle wrote:

Apparently they're not counting "freebies" anymore - students, visiting band, etc.

As someone on another board pointed out, all that does is take us from 1st to 8th in CUSA attendance with the same # of butts in the seats.

FWIW, Tee is saying on another board that the 23k number does count freebie tickets. Makes it even more pathetic.

- PW Underwood (RIP)

Board footer