CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-13 14:00:39 - NCAA relaxes redshirt rule

AndreWhere (1252)

NCAA relaxes redshirt rule

https://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2018 … games.html

Players can now play four games and still redshirt.

Last edited by AndreWhere (2018-06-13 14:01:11)

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#2 2018-06-13 17:18:47 - NCAA relaxes redshirt rule

stinkfist (764)

Re: NCAA relaxes redshirt rule

just hold on to your shorts......it's gonna get much mo' betta when the big boys start to play the shuffle when their media contracts begin to expire.....

cue 'no show' Winn Dixie cup calling me a whatever-ism......

Last edited by stinkfist (2018-06-13 17:19:12)

95368035975122i7o8%5B1%5D.jpg493758851198d75b9e7118c23f42f2ad02c1efee979.gif

#3 2018-06-13 18:39:15 - NCAA relaxes redshirt rule

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

For crying out loud just stop with this crap and begin the process of separation from the NCAA. Bama doesn’t need more rules....Ohio St, Texas, USC, etc.....let the big boys go and do their own thing so one day they can prove they can beat the worst team in the NFL and have the rest of us realign and have a prayers chance of winning a second place ribbon.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#4 2018-06-13 18:47:21 - NCAA relaxes redshirt rule

AndreWhere (1252)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

For crying out loud just stop with this crap and begin the process of separation from the NCAA. Bama doesn’t need more rules....Ohio St, Texas, USC, etc.....let the big boys go and do their own thing so one day they can prove they can beat the worst team in the NFL and have the rest of us realign and have a prayers chance of winning a second place ribbon.

I'd rather have what UCF accomplished in 2017 than any latter-day I-AA tournament championship.

If the counterargument is "a CUSA team will never do that," that's a tough counterargument to refute. The P6 thing is real.

#5 2018-06-13 19:48:42 - NCAA relaxes redshirt rule

AndreWhere wrote:

I'd rather have what UCF accomplished in 2017 than any latter-day I-AA tournament championship.

If the counterargument is "a CUSA team will never do that," that's a tough counterargument to refute. The P6 thing is real.

What UCF did was great but it didn’t mean anything in the end. People will still look at what Boise has done with greater respect than UCF and all that has really done for Boise was get them a sweet carousel ride on the conf realignment train for one hour and a better than average Nike deal for unis and swag. Until they turn this into a true playoff like IAA it will still just be a participation trophy that schools like TCU and Northern Illinois got to take a photo with.
Bama wants more cash and they want more elite status. They will grow tired of “sharing” what they earn with the Vandys and the MS schools. Only thing keeping them in check is the NCAA and I promise you they are running every scenario to ground on how to do this without their supervision. TV will make that a reality one day.

Bama and their select associates are the NFL. We are the Ottawa Redblacks of the CFL and that’s ok because we poo.
People still show up for the Grey Cup.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#6 2018-06-14 07:58:57 - NCAA relaxes redshirt rule

99beers (303)

AndreWhere wrote:

Huh¿  ridiculous.   Every year we get further separated from the p5.  Money.  We don’t stand a chance anymore, nor any other g5 school.  Its time for new division realignment where we have a chance, a right, and an opportunity to play for a championship.  Thats why i told you minions that going to the aac would make no difference.  Ucf proved that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Georgia Tech SwagFag can eat zombie feces...loser. #PoundSand

#7 2018-06-14 09:00:46 - NCAA relaxes redshirt rule

AndreWhere (1252)

I still wish we were in the AAC. I miss playing Tulane, UH, ECU, Memphis, and other schools we had a history with. Drive to Ruston, LA (an absolute embarrassment) and ponder the fact that these people are now acknowledged as not just peers but rivals. The AAC may be crap but at least it isn't *that*.

#8 2018-06-14 09:18:31 - NCAA relaxes redshirt rule

99beers (303)

We will be back with them soon.  Very soon.  As soon as the push comes from g5 schools requesting this inevitable separation it will happen.  More and more g5 schools are now realizing and facing the truth that we are not important anymore other than for scheduling.  The dreams were washed away with the ucf snub.   What more proof does anyone need?  The best of the g5 got the finger from the ncaa.  Regional sub power conferences are the only way to survive the impending succession.

#9 2018-06-14 09:24:40 - NCAA relaxes redshirt rule

99beers (303)

Keep in mind our former conference members made the jump to the aac for two reasons only.  Money and the hope of staying relevant.  The money is about to dry up for them (at least to the point that the travel cost alone will make them shudder the trips to uConn) and the revelance matter was just put to bed.  Writing is on the wall.

#10 2018-06-14 15:29:57 - NCAA relaxes redshirt rule

Think of the next shift or wave as a new level of exclusivity within the NCAA rankings. In 2006, Division I-A and I-AA were renamed FBS and FCS, respectively. Now, due to the dramatic amount of cash schools like Bama generate you can see the next level of separation coming around the corner.......here are some simple athletic dept numbers to digest for Bama as one example.......

Total revenue: $67.7 million in 2005-06 ($84.5 million adjusted for inflation)
Total revenue: $174.3 million in 2016-17 (106. percent growth accounting for inflation)
The profit ($15.6 million in 2017) is down from $18.7 previous year*****THIS IS THE ALARMING TREND FOR BAMA

A few notable numbers from Alabama's 2017 revenue:

Ticket sales were down $5.5 million last year.
Football ticket sales also dropped $2.6 million to $34.7 million in 2016.
Contributions were up $3.4 million to $32.2 million.
Media rights were up $1.5 million to $43.9 million. That includes all the TV contracts. Of that, $1.0 million of that is attributed to football.
It was a good year for investments as the endowment gained $5.7 million -- up $255,105 from the previous year.

Only way Bama can stop the bleeding on their dwindling profit as expenses and salaries continue to rise is to go independent or have another level within the NCAA created that exclusively caters to TV. For example, Fox just inked a deal to pay the NFL 3 BILLION over the next 5 years for the rights to THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL......not Sunday football......THURSDAY Football. That amounts to $60 million per game. If you have a new level within the NCAA that includes Texas, OU, Bama, USC, Ohio St, etc....they can demand somewhere around $45 million per game of the week from TV. This will be outside of a standard new media rights deal for Saturday games not to mention a new post season deal.

Its coming......its only a matter of time before kids are paid to play and Bama and the top tier programs compete with the NFL for cash. UCF will never compete with what is about to come around the corner.......and they are one of the largest universities in the south......

#11 2018-06-14 15:40:00 - NCAA relaxes redshirt rule

AndreWhere wrote:

I still wish we were in the AAC. I miss playing Tulane, UH, ECU, Memphis, and other schools we had a history with. Drive to Ruston, LA (an absolute embarrassment) and ponder the fact that these people are now acknowledged as not just peers but rivals. The AAC may be crap but at least it isn't *that*.

Our best bet for the short term is to merge CUSA with the Sun Belt. It will cut our operating costs significantly and will help a little with creating some new regional rivalries. Its not what we want in the big picture but its better than what we have on June 14, 2018. Adding schools like Coastal and USA in baseball will help and we should extend Dallas Baptist to a baseball only invitation as well. In football, I am for dropping games with ODU and replacing them with LaLa regionally speaking, of course.

The AAC will soon find out that no seat at the P5 table will exist because the table will be a private club where no kids are allowed. UCONN is already trying to find an out because the AAC has ultimately destroyed a once proud basketball program. Its not all its cracked up to be if you really look at it......

#12 2018-06-14 19:15:46 - NCAA relaxes redshirt rule

Black Diamond Reb (418)

Our best bet is to merge CUSA with the Sun Belt and WAC.

giphy.gif

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#13 2018-06-18 11:17:55 - NCAA relaxes redshirt rule

SoMs Eagle (189)

Said this would happen for 15 years now. The only reason it hasn’t is the lack of a northeastern team to attract that market. They get that solved and off they go.

BTW....what happened to UCF’s coach? P6? No, not really.

Last edited by SoMs Eagle (2018-06-18 11:18:44)

Board footer