CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-06 17:11:10 - Financial data

AndreWhere (486)
Member
From: Dunwoody, GA
Registered: 2017-08-24
Posts: 4,541

Financial data

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

USM now has the smallest athletics budget in Scheduling Alliance USA.

On the other hand, USM has the second highest revenue after you exclude student fees and general fund subsidies.

Seems like the University and its students are getting a free ride on the backs of the people buying stuff and making donations.


Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

Online

#2 2018-07-06 18:41:23 - Financial data

stinkfist (261)
Member
Registered: 2017-08-29
Posts: 1,544

Re: Financial data

AndreWhere wrote:

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

USM now has the smallest athletics budget in Scheduling Alliance USA.

On the other hand, USM has the second highest revenue after you exclude student fees and general fund subsidies.

Seems like the University and its students are getting a free ride on the backs of the people buying stuff and making donations.

watch what happens in a handful of years if'n......

Deserted.gif

Offline

#3 2018-07-06 19:47:20 - Financial data

Noodles (5)
Member
Registered: 2018-01-02
Posts: 21

Re: Financial data

Actually, I hear that students at FAU pay way less in fees than USM students do. However, they have over 50 thousand students. So, yes, they pull in a lot more student money, but each student is actually "taxed" less than ours.

Offline

#4 2018-07-06 19:52:36 - Financial data

AndreWhere (486)
Member
From: Dunwoody, GA
Registered: 2017-08-24
Posts: 4,541

Re: Financial data

Noodles wrote:

Actually, I hear that students at FAU pay way less in fees than USM students do. However, they have over 50 thousand students. So, yes, they pull in a lot more student money, but each student is actually "taxed" less than ours.

I can see where it might work out that way. Wouldn't hurt to increase enrollment at USM, but there's definitely a downside to that, too.


Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

Online

#5 2018-07-06 21:30:53 - Financial data

Nugget's Ghostbuster (435)
Member
From: U.S. Department of Interior
Registered: 2017-08-25
Posts: 1,819

Re: Financial data

We are Sears......we should have shifted our business model in the late 90s when we still had brand recognition and we didn’t because we are lazy and had zero foresight from those in charge. Now, we have tired real estate holdings in the worst location and everyone knows nobody is buying what we sell because they can get a better product somewhere else. We have nothing to leverage to return to profitability.

This program is done. Everyone knows it. Those that don’t and still have hope are a big part of the reason we are where we are today. USM athletics has an extremely high chance of disappearing and going defunct at our current financial pace within the next 5-7 years.


"In this edition of To The Top, I'll share how I spent Eagle Club donations on a 7-day wilderness experience on the Superior Hiking Trail in northern Minnesota."

Online

x 1
x 0

#6 2018-07-06 21:47:51 - Financial data

AndreWhere (486)
Member
From: Dunwoody, GA
Registered: 2017-08-24
Posts: 4,541

Re: Financial data

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

We are Sears......we should have shifted our business model in the late 90s when we still had brand recognition and we didn’t because we are lazy and had zero foresight from those in charge. Now, we have tired real estate holdings in the worst location and everyone knows nobody is buying what we sell because they can get a better product somewhere else. We have nothing to leverage to return to profitability.

This program is done. Everyone knows it. Those that don’t and still have hope are a big part of the reason we are where we are today. USM athletics has an extremely high chance of disappearing and going defunct at our current financial pace within the next 5-7 years.

The complacency seen circa 2000 was sickening at the time, and is even more so in hindsight.

The university as a whole is getting better, albeit in fits and starts.

Building something nice for the sororities was absolutely essential. Women steer the money and the men nowadays.

Other stuff is getting built. We'd like for it to be stuff for the football team, but USM has always had to sort of fight to establish a purpose where it can.

The new engineering programs are a good addition. South Mississippi is growing.

Will this ever translate into anything good in athletics? Probably not. Sports in general are sort of fading out of significance.


Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

Online

Board footer