CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#41 2018-07-18 15:04:39 - OT: FAU Facilities

Fighting eagle (114)

Re: OT: FAU Facilities

The deal from The AAC to Hammond was 5 million and you are in. I do not know who your sources are telling you that they said No but your sources are mistaken.

#42 2018-07-18 15:08:53 - OT: FAU Facilities

Fighting eagle (114)

Or more than likely as a friend just pointed out to me is Hammond told others that they said No to cover himself. It would be easier to tell the masses that rather than, we could have got in for 5 million but I decided against it.

#43 2018-07-18 15:09:12 - OT: FAU Facilities

Ace Barker (260)
Website

AndreWhere wrote:
Ace Barker wrote:

This is G's plan. He will probably the commissioner.

That guy really was in a league of his own, heh heh.

He was ahead of his time. Oui should have jumped on him for the commissioner of SUNWACUSA after he left.With USM's luck thr program wold have been overlooked for his new league as well.

Ace...

#44 2018-07-18 15:11:46 - OT: FAU Facilities

Ace Barker (260)
Website

Fighting eagle wrote:

Or more than likely as a friend just pointed out to me is Hammond told others that they said No to cover himself. It would be easier to tell the masses that rather than, we could have got in for 5 million but I decided against it.

Who really knows but something like this would make sense.

Ace...

#45 2018-07-18 15:17:40 - OT: FAU Facilities

EagleFWB (176)

If all that's true then we really do deserve whatever shit we get.  If we legitimately had an opportunity to join for only 5 mil and we passed on it? Come on, that's a no brainer. I mean passing would be the ultimate TTT moment.

I don't know anything about this factually, but I'd say that more than just the AD would be involved with that decision. Certainly the President should be involved.

#46 2018-07-18 15:24:12 - OT: FAU Facilities

Fighting eagle (114)

Lying to your face is a culture at USM. Giannini lied. Johnson lied his ass off, Vogel lied plenty, Bower lied to people, and Hammond lied about this if you heard from him they said No. The fact is an offer was made. We decided to stay here as if everything was going to be fine in Cusa.

Liked by:

#47 2018-07-18 15:40:39 - OT: FAU Facilities

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

Its a popular fable to crucify Hammond with but no truth behind it. The Chevy and Ford dealers, Coca Cola distributors, Banks and Trust, Gas and Oil and Concrete donors have all been clear on Hammond and on mythical expansion. No bid was extended for cash. Thats not how any of this worked with Aresco. We had several schools support our "bid" to move to the AAC but the "exclusive" factor driven by Aresco was media market due to the ongoing growing separation of football and non football schools in the Big East. Aresco was the former VP of CBS Sports who's focus was on market. $5 million doesn't move you from the #168 market. It took mountains (and the timely exit of Boise and SDSU) for Terry Holland to get ECU in and they are a top 100 market with over 500K population.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Liked by:

#48 2018-07-18 15:56:18 - OT: FAU Facilities

Fighting eagle (114)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

Its a popular fable to crucify Hammond with but no truth behind it. The Chevy and Ford dealers, Coca Cola distributors, Banks and Trust, Gas and Oil and Concrete donors have all been clear on Hammond and on mythical expansion. No bid was extended for cash. Thats not how any of this worked with Aresco. We had several schools support our "bid" to move to the AAC but the "exclusive" factor driven by Aresco was media market due to the ongoing growing separation of football and non football schools in the Big East. Aresco was the former VP of CBS Sports who's focus was on market. $5 million doesn't move you from the #168 market. It took mountains (and the timely exit of Boise and SDSU) for Terry Holland to get ECU in and they are a top 100 market with over 500K population.

Are you lumping me in with the other liars? You can believe the lies. Most people do.

#49 2018-07-18 16:04:12 - OT: FAU Facilities

AndreWhere (1252)

I think the AAC did, at a minimum, try to gauge USM's interest. The "market" explanation is a little too easy for me.

Temple was exiled from the Big East in 2004. Did they really prefer to go to the MAC instead of CUSA at that time, or did CUSA not want them?

Nowadays Temple is in the AAC. Did Temple value Memphis, Houston, etc. more highly when they moved to the AAC in 2014 than they did in 2004? Or was it the reverse, with those former CUSA schools now deciding Temple was a worthy peer?

Maybe Aresco (TV dude) put together the AAC, while Banowsky (football dude) put together the CUSA, and Aresco liked Temple. The commissioner is basically an employee of the schools, though.

Last edited by AndreWhere (2018-07-18 16:05:09)

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#50 2018-07-18 16:19:39 - OT: FAU Facilities

Fighting eagle wrote:

Are you lumping me in with the other liars? You can believe the lies. Most people do.

You are not a liar.......I just wish they would have made the $5 million number more like $20 million when this telephone game started years ago....That way we can potentially make future alumni/donor opinions of Hammond a little more balanced as this legend continues to grow for future generations.....

$5 million seems really low when Aresco inked a 7 year $130 million dollar media rights deal without USM as part of the equation. Hammond didn't have unilateral power to spend or not spend $5 million in exchange for sharing $130 million over the next 7 years......

qGhiEIe.gif

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#51 2018-07-18 16:27:05 - OT: FAU Facilities

AndreWhere (1252)

I imagine the $5 million (or whatever) would have been pulled out of that media money if necessary. Even if they charged interest USM would have come out ahead.

There was a way to make it work. Bill McClelland made it work in 1995, Hammond didn't make it work in 2013.

#52 2018-07-18 16:30:48 - OT: FAU Facilities

AndreWhere wrote:

Temple was exiled from the Big East in 2004. Did they really prefer to go to the MAC instead of CUSA at that time, or did CUSA not want them?

Temple was kicked out of the conference for poor attendance and failing to meet financial requirements. Joining CUSA would have required Bill Cosby to fund all travel costs directly in 2004.

#53 2018-07-18 16:41:57 - OT: FAU Facilities

AndreWhere (1252)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

Temple was kicked out of the conference for poor attendance and failing to meet financial requirements. Joining CUSA would have required Bill Cosby to fund all travel costs directly in 2004.

The whole AAC thing seems really fishy now that the dust has settled.

What changed from 2004 to 2014? Did Temple really get its shit together? Did TV really matter that much more in 2014 than it did in 2004?

USM opened a stadium expansion and gave a football coach a $1,000,000 per year contract in 2008. These things worked, and 4 years later a defending champion football team opened at home vs. ECU in front of 34,000 people.

Yet just months later, we're supposed to believe that USM was the one CUSA team no one else wanted.

#54 2018-07-18 17:00:54 - OT: FAU Facilities

AndreWhere wrote:

USM opened a stadium expansion and gave a football coach a $1,000,000 per year contract in 2008. These things worked, and 4 years later a defending champion football team opened at home vs. ECU in front of 34,000 people.

Yet just months later, we're supposed to believe that USM was the one CUSA team no one else wanted.

Wins didn’t equal market share. SMU did nothing in CUSA. DFW got them in the AAC. Why did Tulane get in? Top 50 market. Why did Tulsa get in over Rice? Houston market was already covered and Tulsa was the #60 market. It was all about selling market share for the $130 million contract. When Louisville and Rutgers left, they had to pick the best remaining availabie markets. Aresco did this for CBS and ESPN for years. He knew what he needed to negotiate with the other side of the table.

#55 2018-07-18 17:24:54 - OT: FAU Facilities

Black Diamond Reb (418)

Fighting eagle wrote:

Lying is a culture at USM.

The depth of the truth in this statement is unfathomable. GLEs dismiss all suggestion that it could exist, must less believe it no matter the facts presented.

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#56 2018-07-18 17:47:19 - OT: FAU Facilities

Fighting eagle (114)

Black Diamond Reb wrote:
Fighting eagle wrote:

The depth of the truth in this statement is unfathomable. GLEs dismiss all suggestion that it could exist, must less believe it no matter the facts presented.

Lost track how many times I was lied to.Many times I knew they were lying before they finished Talking.

Last edited by Fighting eagle (2018-07-18 17:47:59)

#57 2018-07-18 19:15:55 - OT: FAU Facilities

skyvoyager (177)

Fighting eagle wrote:
Black Diamond Reb wrote:
Fighting eagle wrote:

Lost track how many times I was lied to.Many times I knew they were lying before they finished Talking.

Since we are talking rumors that cannot be proved....

I heard years ago that e12loss was being paid by someone in prison that made millions on the tobacco lawsuit to kill
The program.... if true, mission accomplished

Everyone has the right to be stupid... It's just that some people abuse the privilege.

Liked by:

#58 2018-07-18 19:31:59 - OT: FAU Facilities

AndreWhere (1252)

skyvoyager wrote:
Fighting eagle wrote:
Black Diamond Reb wrote:

Since we are talking rumors that cannot be proved....

I heard years ago that e12loss was being paid by someone in prison that made millions on the tobacco lawsuit to kill
The program.... if true, mission accomplished

Shelby Thames is trying to get mustardcake uranium so that he can de-fund Planned Eaglehood.

#59 2018-07-18 19:47:21 - OT: FAU Facilities

Fighting eagle (114)

What rumors that can't be proven are we talking about here? Not a rumor what I posted. Simply a fact. There are plenty of others who know this to be true.

#60 2018-07-18 19:57:44 - OT: FAU Facilities

AndreWhere (1252)

Fighting eagle wrote:

What rumors that can't be proven are we talking about here? Not a rumor what I posted. Simply a fact. There are plenty of others who know this to be true.

Rings true to me 100%, joking aside. People bought into the "no invitation" thing because they were shell-shocked by a couple of really bad years in football. I always found the claim that USM basically shunned the AAC out of laziness / "interim" thinking completely plausible, and I thank you for reporting what you know about it.

Board footer