CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-13 16:47:24 - Enrollment figures

AndreWhere (1252)

Enrollment figures

http://news.usm.edu/article/university- … nt-grows-1

"For the first time in University history, more than 2,000 first-time, full-time freshmen have enrolled at USM. This year’s 2,115 freshmen are 11 percent more than the 1,903 new freshmen who enrolled in Fall 2017. The 2018 freshman total also represents a 35 percent increase over the 2016 mark of 1,558...

Almost 10 percent of all new freshmen scored 30 or above on the ACT."

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#2 2018-09-14 07:31:18 - Enrollment figures

Bleacher Eagle (44)

Re: Enrollment figures

It's definitely a step in the right direction. We need enrollment to increase several years in a row to see a measurable impact. Hopefully we can continue this trend

#3 2018-09-14 08:22:07 - Enrollment figures

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

We need to rebrand our university by first changing the name. Perception is reality and being in the south part of the 50th state in the union doesn’t scream higher education. Also need to develop our online program presence regionally then nationally. We need a marketing footprint in New Orleans, Mobile, Birmingham and Atlanta to start. This is a business and if you want overall enrollment and finances to improve you have to change your business model instead of using hope and a strong economy to boost your Hattiesburg campus numbers.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#4 2018-09-14 09:13:58 - Enrollment figures

AndreWhere (1252)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

We need to rebrand our university by first changing the name.

That's an interesting comment. What on Earth would the new name be?

There are probably only a couple dozen universities that can stand out as elite based on name alone. Even a place like the University of Texas, which has more than a few world-class programs, probably gets snickered at by people who think Texas is full of cows and hicks.

I'd always thought that USM addressed this issue pretty effectively in a couple of ways. The first way to do this is to establish specific programs that make a name for themselves by doing research and granting doctorates in their own little niche. Those programs will attract good people regardless of what overall institution they're attached to.

The second way is sports. I got chewed out on the other board for saying that our reduced profile in sports impacted the university as a whole, and people tell me that "streaming" is the future, but I think there's a pretty hard line people draw between schools that play football on TV and schools that don't. Even a school that plays on ESPN2 will get airtime in sports bars all over the world. USM really missed the boat when that stopped happening.

Last edited by AndreWhere (2018-09-14 09:14:48)

#5 2018-09-14 09:20:03 - Enrollment figures

AndreWhere (1252)

Following up on my last comment:

When I was in my last two years of college, you could pretty reliably scan the football poll and USM and maybe Southern Cal would be the only schools with a direction in their name listed. Hell, you could look over the entire list of I-A schools and the only other school with a direction in its name was USL, which isn't called that anymore.

This was something special about USM, and people discounted it, and that was a mistake. Students should have seen this and been less begrudging about athletic fees. Administrators should seen this and put more of a priority on athletics. Instead, all of these people fixated on other, more petty shit (who was cooler than whom at Sumrall High School?), and we've all suffered because of it.

#6 2018-09-14 10:53:51 - Enrollment figures

AndreWhere wrote:
Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

We need to rebrand our university by first changing the name.

That's an interesting comment. What on Earth would the new name be?

There are probably only a couple dozen universities that can stand out as elite based on name alone. Even a place like the University of Texas, which has more than a few world-class programs, probably gets snickered at by people who think Texas is full of cows and hicks.

Rebranding should be as simple as just using USM as our sole identity going forward. It takes a commitment from the university to promote and be consistent with new branding starting within the state and then on a national stage. Its a simple step but one that can reinvigorate a stale alumni base and promote new growth at the same time if done correctly.

Think about how we are all over the place right now just within two sports alone. You have a football team going from Southern Miss, to Eagle Head, back to Southern Miss, etc.... You have a nationally ranked baseball program that wears and promotes USM. The fields at MM Roberts and PTP use different naming as well.....if fact PTP uses both Southern Miss and USM within the ballpark. We should be united in our brand and image in order to build respect and our identity nationally.

Simple change yet necessary IMO.

Last edited by Nugget's Ghostbuster (2018-09-14 10:55:07)

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Liked by:

#7 2018-09-14 12:37:26 - Enrollment figures

Thanks, Dr. Bennett, for making my point today in just two sentences........

D2ECBFDD-75EF-423E-BE86-87EEA05CB3D2.jpeg

#8 2018-09-14 12:43:31 - Enrollment figures

AndreWhere (1252)

Rodney must be way behind reading this board.

#9 2018-09-14 14:58:15 - Enrollment figures

Black Diamond Reb (418)

AndreWhere wrote:

What on Earth would the new name be?

JSU - Hattiesburg

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#10 2018-09-14 15:15:37 - Enrollment figures

AndreWhere (1252)

Black Diamond Reb wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

What on Earth would the new name be?

JSU - Hattiesburg

It's hard getting support for big changes like that. The town I live in is named for a Confederate Army major, so I started a petition to rename it to something more appropriate. Apparently not that many people want to live in a town called Peckerwoody, though.

#11 2018-09-14 15:38:39 - Enrollment figures

Another option......

Partner with one of the mega churches....like Lakewood (Joel Osteen), Life Church (Craig Groeschel) or North Point (Andy Stanley)

Open a school of Theology (convert the admin building into the school, move the admin offices to those abandoned classrooms in MM Roberts.....

Convert RGC into a non denominational mega church/basketball venue

Change our name to Mississippi Christian

Change our mascot to the Veggie Tales.....buy the rights and make a killing on merchandise

You're Welcome......

JxYWBejONnqMbYVwijMRUT4jxHsiOwXlzUuca0GoroziA3-Wde2KBzgY7B6V4XDCWHGAJButi2L_a1oXbQ

#12 2018-09-14 15:52:03 - Enrollment figures

AndreWhere (1252)

Hey, if Joel Osteen can turn water into craft beer, that would greatly enhance the game day experience.

He likes to start with something funny.

#13 2018-09-15 05:58:57 - Enrollment figures

stinkfist (764)

AndreWhere wrote:

Following up on my last comment:

When I was in my last two years of college, you could pretty reliably scan the football poll and USM and maybe Southern Cal would be the only schools with a direction in their name listed. Hell, you could look over the entire list of I-A schools and the only other school with a direction in its name was USL, which isn't called that anymore.

This was something special about USM, and people discounted it, and that was a mistake. Students should have seen this and been less begrudging about athletic fees. Administrators should seen this and put more of a priority on athletics. Instead, all of these people fixated on other, more petty shit (who was cooler than whom at Sumrall High School?), and we've all suffered because of it.

I'm in your camp on this one....

it's also interesting to note that there are now 2 USC's once the EsPeNiS began labeling South Carolina as USC

it will always be USM to me......

however, b/c we opted out for southern miss moons ago, I have no choice but to use them interchangeably....

".....southern mississippi, USM" has been the chant as long as I can remember......

95368035975122i7o8%5B1%5D.jpg493758851198d75b9e7118c23f42f2ad02c1efee979.gif

#14 2018-09-15 09:24:42 - Enrollment figures

B&GBU (259)

I didn't like it when they flushed USM for Southern Miss. They were pretty much barking up the Rebel's asses and the pussification has snowballed from there with a plethora small-time moves and stunts, not the least of which is the contrived tradition of the TTT cheer that was thrust upon the weak minded gammas, which is gay as living hell and to this day makes me sick at my stomach.

"Did you ever consider that the next level would be a lower one?"

Liked by:

#15 2018-09-15 10:20:25 - Enrollment figures

tg300 (439)

B&GBU wrote:

I didn't like it when they flushed USM for Southern Miss. They were pretty much barking up the Rebel's asses and the pussification has snowballed from there with a plethora small-time moves and stunts, not the least of which is the contrived tradition of the TTT cheer that was thrust upon the weak minded gammas, which is gay as living hell and to this day makes me sick at my stomach.

Thank Bob Pierce for this sickening cheer.

Thus the invention of the tater tot counter attack.

#16 2018-09-15 17:30:58 - Enrollment figures

stinkfist (764)

B&GBU wrote:

the TTT cheer could be the worst move of all....it doesn't get any gayer than that.....

it's disturbing....

#17 2018-09-15 17:51:31 - Enrollment figures

AndreWhere (1252)

stinkfist wrote:
B&GBU wrote:

the TTT cheer could be the worst move of all....it doesn't get any gayer than that.....

it's disturbing....

I can point to maybe a half dozen decisions that fall into that category.

Tearing down the goalposts after beating Houston in '97 was try-hard. The tiny, original video board in M.M. Roberts was depressing. The 9/6/99 promotion was a bad idea. Giving the head cheerleader a microphone in '95-'96 was the act of a braindead man. Trying to twist Tulane's arm into making a trophy for us to contend for came off as desperate.

The common theme in all of it is that the people in charge are tone-deaf when it comes to what Mississippi sports fans actually care about. We don't give a shit about beating Tulane or LA Tech. Having some low-IQ hick male cheerleader exhort us to "get loud" will have the opposite effect. Nobody cares about winning some laughingstock conference that doesn't even have an exit fee.

My best USM memories are the times USM went head-to-head with truly relevant teams. Many of those games were losses. Some weren't.

The ethos was "Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime," and that's not that far away from the "P6" shit the AAC is doing now. Wish USM could be a part of that. There was a time, pre-Pizza Bowls, when that suited USM.

As for the "TTT" cheer, I can confirm that more than one person sitting next to me at M.M. Roberts has used the exact adjective you did.

Last edited by AndreWhere (2018-09-15 17:52:30)

#18 2018-09-15 18:16:18 - Enrollment figures

TheChosenOne (295)

Do not care one way or other for TTT cheer but those attending seem to like it.

#19 2018-09-15 18:52:39 - Enrollment figures

stinkfist (764)

AndreWhere wrote:
stinkfist wrote:
B&GBU wrote:

it's disturbing....

I can point to maybe a half dozen decisions that fall into that category.

Tearing down the goalposts after beating Houston in '97 was try-hard. The tiny, original video board in M.M. Roberts was depressing. The 9/6/99 promotion was a bad idea. Giving the head cheerleader a microphone in '95-'96 was the act of a braindead man. Trying to twist Tulane's arm into making a trophy for us to contend for came off as desperate.

The common theme in all of it is that the people in charge are tone-deaf when it comes to what Mississippi sports fans actually care about. We don't give a shit about beating Tulane or LA Tech. Having some low-IQ hick male cheerleader exhort us to "get loud" will have the opposite effect. Nobody cares about winning some laughingstock conference that doesn't even have an exit fee.

My best USM memories are the times USM went head-to-head with truly relevant teams. Many of those games were losses. Some weren't.

The ethos was "Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime," and that's not that far away from the "P6" shit the AAC is doing now. Wish USM could be a part of that. There was a time, pre-Pizza Bowls, when that suited USM.

As for the "TTT" cheer, I can confirm that more than one person sitting next to me at M.M. Roberts has used the exact adjective you did.

Imma gonna extrapolate.....and I know you have the capacity to understand this.....

I had to sit in front of Jeff Kelly's parents for four years........................................yeah, that wasn't easy in any realm.....

I'm fairly certain my tongue is shorter due to those years.... wink

he just got slower and slower and slower and..........

back to the subject matter.........how about that eagle scream from the PA.....that was a gem.....

wtf are these dipshites thinking.....

how about this motherfuckers.....take a piano string, shove it from ear to ear, and pull back if forth......that's what the eagle scream was.....

Last edited by stinkfist (2018-09-15 18:54:35)

#20 2018-09-15 18:59:57 - Enrollment figures

stinkfist (764)

TheChosenOne wrote:

Do not care one way or other for TTT cheer but those attending seem to like it.

it's simple to steer the herd......the question becomes, how large is the skull cap of the herd......;.......and more importantly, their bank acct., moving forward.....

just win biatches....that does wonders.....just ask Troy, UNT, and BYU fans how they're fondling their cods right now.....

Board footer