CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#21 2017-09-11 20:17:28 - Wacky way to increase revenue

beagle (173)

Re: Wacky way to increase revenue

Pretty sure it was Bob Pierce who started saying TTT after first downs. That's what I've been told, at least.

"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#22 2017-09-11 20:47:40 - Wacky way to increase revenue

USMstang (303)

Because of the history, it's actually pretty cool.  I'm sure there's some other stuff we could be yelling but it's the only damn thing most of the crowd does in unison.

Still sleeping with a Dixie Darling!

#23 2017-09-11 22:51:42 - Wacky way to increase revenue

SoMs Eagle (189)

USMstang wrote:

Because of the history, it's actually pretty cool.  I'm sure there's some other stuff we could be yelling but it's the only damn thing most of the crowd does in unison.

We should just stop it. And that rock looking thing where they run in looks small time. And while we're at it the players being sung to by the band after the game is just gay (not that there is anything wrong with that). And puleeese, the Dixie Darlins in those out fits and tall white boots are sexist and degrading to women kicking their legs up like that. Also the all black unis are racist. And we got to get rid of the tuba in the band. They always make a big black guy carry it.  And lastly we must get rid of the Eagle as a mascot because it is an elitist symbol of this country that oppresses every one of color not to mention every one knows falconry was a sport of the aristocracy.

#24 2017-09-12 06:48:11 - Wacky way to increase revenue

tg300 (439)

beagle wrote:

Pretty sure it was Bob Pierce who started saying TTT after first downs. That's what I've been told, at least.

This

I like Bob.

I want to kick him in the nuts every time I hear it.

#25 2017-09-12 06:50:05 - Wacky way to increase revenue

tg300 (439)

USMstang wrote:

Wrong.

They groan in unison every time Keon goes into the game.

Kid is a great athlete.  I wonder if he can play soccer.

#26 2017-09-12 08:35:20 - Wacky way to increase revenue

AEIOUSometimesWhy (0)

tg300 wrote:
USMstang wrote:

Wrong.

They groan in unison every time Keon goes into the game.

Kid is a great athlete.  I wonder if he can play soccer.

In all seriousness, I see him either getting moved to another position (like WR or CB- even though both of those positions are deep). Or transferring out next year to a CC or FCS/DII school. Kwandra has the starting spot this year and next year (forseeably) and Marcelo will be vying for that starting spot after Kwandra graduates.

"If you are going to war and if you get to pick first, choose Southern Mississippi. Always choose Southern Mississippi. No matter how hard you fight, these folks will fight harder.”-- Mickey Spagnola

#27 2017-09-12 11:07:39 - Wacky way to increase revenue

99beers (303)

B&GBU wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:
B&GBU wrote:

I'd contribute to ending TTT and I'll bet others would as well.

My date: What are they yelling...?

Me: To The Top.

My date: That's stupid.

Same thing happened to me with 2 female out of town guests a few years ago, pretty dang embarrassing. Who is the twit came up with that anyway...Mr. G.?

Same person that came up with black-gold cheer, and Go Gold shit...........

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Georgia Tech SwagFag can eat zombie feces...loser. #PoundSand

#28 2017-09-12 11:29:03 - Wacky way to increase revenue

SoMs Eagle (189)

So what do you geniuses propose?

#29 2017-09-12 12:04:12 - Wacky way to increase revenue

AEIOUSometimesWhy (0)

Traditions happen. Sometimes they're necessarily forced. Sometimes they come naturally. Sometimes they're forced until someone thinks of them as being natural

As someone who entered into university 5-10 years after these newer traditions ("To The Top" after first downs, Black-Gold, etc.) were established, they just seemed natural and not at all forced to me. There were even newer traditions that students seemed to start, or if not start, pick up and become more popular whenever I was there (exclaiming the final word of the Alma Mater, "Halls!"- this got more popular in the "Tyndall Town" basketball student section era; the, since dead tradition, of the tifo banners that the Brazilian student would make, etc.). I mean heck, some students started picking up the phrase "Eagsby90" or "Eagsby[Insert number]" after beating Kentucky last year (yeah, I know stolen phrase)

Last edited by AEIOUSometimesWhy (2017-09-12 12:05:41)

"If you are going to war and if you get to pick first, choose Southern Mississippi. Always choose Southern Mississippi. No matter how hard you fight, these folks will fight harder.”-- Mickey Spagnola

#30 2017-09-12 13:10:42 - Wacky way to increase revenue

southern miss slacker (304)

What I don't get is why they don't and never have used The Mickey Spagnola quote..."don't fight southern miss, always choose southern miss, no matter how hard you fight, those folks will fight harder"....that is original to us and only us. And that shit needs to be over the door when the football team goes onto the field.

Last edited by southern miss slacker (2017-09-12 13:11:46)

#31 2017-09-12 14:00:48 - Wacky way to increase revenue

admin (289)
Administrator

southern miss slacker wrote:

What I don't get is why they don't and never have used The Mickey Spagnola quote..."don't fight southern miss, always choose southern miss, no matter how hard you fight, those folks will fight harder"....that is original to us and only us. And that shit needs to be over the door when the football team goes onto the field.

Too busy yammering on about CUSA and our supposed rivalry with LA Tech, I guess.

#32 2017-09-12 16:13:51 - Wacky way to increase revenue

Eaglebird Humperdink (142)

What I don't get is why they don't and never have used The Mickey Spagnola quote..."don't fight southern miss, always choose southern miss, no matter how hard you fight, those folks will fight harder"...

I've tried starting it up when the PA Announcer say's "First Down, Southern Miss!" But it's quite a mouthful.

#33 2017-09-12 18:05:01 - Wacky way to increase revenue

Mao Tse-gore (412)

beagle wrote:

Further proof that our leaders are absolute idiots.

We still suck bigtime.
There's a big difference between optimism and an altered state of reality.
Not another dime, not another mile, not another minute.
MSFlag.gif

#34 2017-09-12 18:25:41 - Wacky way to increase revenue

admin (289)
Administrator

Mao Tse-gore wrote:
beagle wrote:

I don't completely object to the TTT thing, but saying it after every first down is too much. It should be said, like, after every third down conversion, or after conversions when we're behind. Saying it after converting versus Southern U. while up 45-0 in the fourth quarter is stupid.

#35 2017-09-12 18:28:37 - Wacky way to increase revenue

beagle (173)

admin wrote:

Too busy yammering on about CUSA and our supposed rivalry with LA Tech, I guess.

Man, that shit drives me crazy. The "RIVALRY IN DIXIE!!!1!111" is a bunch of malarkey. It's been pushed by Tech fans and USM administrators, mostly.

I get the older fans that think it's some sort of a rivalry (we played almost every year in the 60s and 70s), but to anyone younger than 50 .... no, just no.

Last edited by beagle (2017-09-12 18:29:07)

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#36 2017-09-12 18:29:56 - Wacky way to increase revenue

beagle (173)

Mao Tse-gore wrote:
beagle wrote:

Pierce is no longer at Southern Miss.

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#37 2017-09-12 18:30:54 - Wacky way to increase revenue

admin (289)
Administrator

beagle wrote:
admin wrote:

Man, that shit drives me crazy. The "RIVALRY IN DIXIE!!!1!111" is a bunch of malarkey. It's been pushed by Tech fans and USM administrators, mostly.

I get the older fans that think it's some sort of a rivalry (we played almost every year in the 60s and 70s), but to anyone younger than 50 .... no, just no.

Just lazy marketing, man. "Louisville and Houston have more money than us so they're not rivals."

Not with that attitude they're not... anymore sad

#38 2017-09-12 18:34:01 - Wacky way to increase revenue

beagle (173)

I really wish we could get Memphis back on the schedule. Pretty crazy to think we played those guys every year from 1952 to 2012 (except in 1980). Now that they are good in football, that has the potential to be a quality rivalry game.

Last edited by beagle (2017-09-12 18:34:15)

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#39 2017-09-12 19:15:13 - Wacky way to increase revenue

AEIOUSometimesWhy (0)

beagle wrote:
admin wrote:

I haven't really seen it pushed by our athletics department as much as Tech's department does. USM has refused (at least on social media) to call it the Rivalry In Dixie the past few years. Calling it the "Battle for the West" in 2015 when it decided the winner of the Western Division and then just marketing it as the blackout game last year.

#40 2017-09-12 19:29:13 - Wacky way to increase revenue

beagle (173)

I seem to remember McGillis tweeting about it awhile back. He's not here anymore, of course.

Their fans definitely care about it more than we do. Go on their Bulldog Bytes board. They REALLY want to beat us this year.

I do like them because they are culturally similar to us and they actually bring fans to Hattiesburg, but I don't really consider them a rival at all. They don't get my blood boiling like a Memphis, Houston, ECU, or even Tulane do.

Last edited by beagle (2017-09-12 19:29:53)

- PW Underwood (RIP)

Board footer