CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

Poll: Why is attendance down? Pick as many as you'd like
Lack of wins against name teams like Kentucky

8% (6)
USM has gone left politically: state flag, diversity...

13% (10)
Futility / irrelevance of bottom 4 conference football

19% (14)
Gilbert has raised prices / ceased giveaways

5% (4)
Hopson comes across as a hick, not an ambassador

2% (2)
Recent home opponents are no-names w/o history

16% (12)
Las Vegas shooting / security concerns

0% (0)
Lack of TV exposure

4% (3)
It's a general trend; people watch sports on TV now

9% (7)
The numbers weren't ever real. They're more real now

6% (5)
The parking situation is bad

1% (1)
On-field performance, e.g. vs. NLU

10% (8)
Other (comment please)

1% (1)
Voters: 19

#41 2018-10-25 23:00:08 - Attendance woes: want your thoughts

AndreWhere (1252)

Re: Attendance woes: want your thoughts

At this point, it looks like this issue has been exhaustively probed.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#42 2018-10-26 06:31:10 - Attendance woes: want your thoughts

tg300 (439)

AndreWhere wrote:

At this point, it looks like this issue has been exhaustively probed.

Are we still talking about the girl?

#43 2018-10-26 08:56:28 - Attendance woes: want your thoughts

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

Last point......I promise

One of the biggest issues that is failing home attendance surrounds marketing and lack of it. It’s where we failed with Kentucky and continue to fail leading into Marshall next weekend. I remember marketing was the biggest reason we have Northern Illinois sitting in our record books as one of the top attended games in the history of The Rock. I follow USM on just about every social media platform out there. The hour the UTSA game ended I should have been blasted by this university promoting the next game, time and events coming to The Rock. As of 9AM this morning the only things I have seen involve trick or treating at The Pete or a 5K Softball run with the tiny font disclaimer that your entry fee gets you into the Marshall game. Instead of shopping at Bass Pro Shop for a new sleeping bag and lantern, Jon and Lamont need to be posting selfies at every local business, burger joint, PTA meeting and bible study with Toby attached at the hip promoting the Marshall game and the taco tax for the renovation. They should have a realistic goal to Gold Out The Rock next weekend and it should be on FB, Insta and Twitter twice a day until kickoff next weekend. They could easily get 28K-30K with some elbow grease and effort but both of them are too busy writing their next essay on how to love the student athlete or how society holds down people of color or different sexual orientations......

Now I’m done......

DqI5skVUUAAdjlQ?format=jpg&name=large

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#44 2018-10-26 10:42:10 - Attendance woes: want your thoughts

Black Diamond Reb (418)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

Jon and Lamont need to be trick or treating at O' Charleys and Sonic of Sumrall.

Damn right

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#45 2018-10-26 10:59:53 - Attendance woes: want your thoughts

AndreWhere (1252)

Marshall has traditionally been a well-attended game for whatever reason. It will be interesting to see what happens this year.

#46 2018-10-26 11:45:16 - Attendance woes: want your thoughts

tg300 (439)

AndreWhere wrote:

Marshall has traditionally been a well-attended game for whatever reason. It will be interesting to see what happens this year.

People actually recognize their name.

#47 2018-10-26 12:59:18 - Attendance woes: want your thoughts

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

Southern was our highest attended home game last season at The Rock.........did fans get confused and think they were playing themselves?

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#48 2018-10-26 13:44:02 - Attendance woes: want your thoughts

Mao Tse-gore (412)

LaTech should be decent.

We still suck bigtime.
There's a big difference between optimism and an altered state of reality.
Not another dime, not another mile, not another minute.
MSFlag.gif

#49 2018-10-26 22:36:25 - Attendance woes: want your thoughts

USMstang (303)

Hey now......that’s someone’s daughter you are talking about.......

They can watch too!

Still sleeping with a Dixie Darling!

#50 2018-10-26 22:50:18 - Attendance woes: want your thoughts

USMstang (303)

Last point......I promise

One of the biggest issues that is failing home attendance surrounds marketing and lack of it. It’s where we failed with Kentucky and continue to fail leading into Marshall next weekend. I remember marketing was the biggest reason we have Northern Illinois sitting in our record books as one of the top attended games in the history of The Rock. I follow USM on just about every social media platform out there. The hour the UTSA game ended I should have been blasted by this university promoting the next game, time and events coming to The Rock. As of 9AM this morning the only things I have seen involve trick or treating at The Pete or a 5K Softball run with the tiny font disclaimer that your entry fee gets you into the Marshall game. Instead of shopping at Bass Pro Shop for a new sleeping bag and lantern, Jon and Lamont need to be posting selfies at every local business, burger joint, PTA meeting and bible study with Toby attached at the hip promoting the Marshall game and the taco tax for the renovation. They should have a realistic goal to Gold Out The Rock next weekend and it should be on FB, Insta and Twitter twice a day until kickoff next weekend. They could easily get 28K-30K with some elbow grease and effort but both of them are too busy writing their next essay on how to love the student athlete or how society holds down people of color or different sexual orientations......

Now I’m done.....

You can hire a top-notch marketing firm for a surprisingly paltry amount to do this stuff.  Probably for about what they're paying someone to fail at this in-house.  If we have an agency performing the task at present, they need to be terminated for breach-of-contract tomorrow.  I'm negotiating a deal right now for a much more comprehensive package that includes daily posts across all media in addition to an entire pre-planned annual advertising campaign, website re-design, and a branding update.  The top package quoted by an award winning agency out of New Orleans runs less per hour than both my attorney and CPA!  But, since we don't have anyone with any practical business acumen or experience, this is not something within their scope of thought.  In their defense, if they contacted someone from the agency that holds a spot on the Athletic Foundation Board, the quote was probably outrageous.

Now I'm done too...

Still sleeping with a Dixie Darling!

#51 2018-10-27 09:46:33 - Attendance woes: want your thoughts

AndreWhere (1252)

Here's an idea: ditch the wilderness adventures and the frivolous suspensions. That's a wash from the student/athlete perspective. Now take the camping trip money and hire a marketing firm. Seems obvious.

Board footer