CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-26 14:44:10 - Be glad we didn't get the Dallas Bowl invitation

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

Be glad we didn't get the Dallas Bowl invitation

They just cancelled the game. I am roughly 30 minutes north of the Cotton Bowl and although we just have rain, no lightning, the weather is still acceptable for football. I don't think they even played the entire first quarter with BC beating Boise 7-0 before they delayed the game due to lightning. Completely shocked they called the game already. Why not wait 24 more hours and play it tomorrow when its going to be 65 degrees and sunny? For the 5 people that bought tickets and traveled I feel terrible for them.

This is the bowl that the city of Dallas cancelled due to ESPN requiring 800K to keep it alive......then they dropped their fee to 300K in order for the city to approve it for one more year.

This bowl is done......

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#2 2018-12-26 14:55:57 - Be glad we didn't get the Dallas Bowl invitation

Re: Be glad we didn't get the Dallas Bowl invitation

971F4EF0-6A9D-4A79-9C8B-E742A62885A3.jpeg

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#3 2018-12-26 15:06:43 - Be glad we didn't get the Dallas Bowl invitation

Black Diamond Reb (418)

But but .. What about those extra practices ?

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#4 2018-12-26 16:06:27 - Be glad we didn't get the Dallas Bowl invitation

AndreWhere (1252)

Black Diamond Reb wrote:

But but .. What about those extra practices ?

Some of those guys need all the practice they can get.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#5 2018-12-27 11:05:01 - Be glad we didn't get the Dallas Bowl invitation

Fighting eagle (114)

This bowl game was sponsored by ServPro, a provider of water cleanup services whose slogan is  “Like it never even happened"

#6 2018-12-27 11:52:43 - Be glad we didn't get the Dallas Bowl invitation

A little local color on the non bowl game in the Dallas news today. The city was looking for a refund on what they term as a crummy game that did not happen. ESPN said no refunds to the city and those that purchased tickets outside of the university. At least each school is stepping up and refunding those that bought tickets directly from each school. Just another reason ESPN sucks. You would think they would eat the 300K the city of Dallas paid them for a game that never happened since it amounts to peanuts compared to what they are making this bowl season in advertising alone.

From the Dallas News......

"I did not feel like we should subsidize a crummy game," North Dallas council member Lee Kleinman said Wednesday. "I guess Mother Nature agreed."

Those who had pushed for the bowl argued that Dallas would get three hours' worth of publicity at a time when no other bowl games were being broadcast. With the cancellation, that did not happen after all, "and that, too, is very disappointing,"

He said Wednesday that the network would not refund the city's money.

A spokesman for the bowl said there was no official attendance figure — "because it wasn't an official game." About 16,400 tickets were sold — and given away — for Wednesday's game.

Tickets say no refund or exchange, but both schools announced they would offer refunds for tickets purchased through their athletic departments.

#7 2018-12-27 12:26:19 - Be glad we didn't get the Dallas Bowl invitation

AndreWhere (1252)

How is Boise State vs. BC a "crummy" game? Has that guy checked out any bowl schedules lately? That's a pretty good matchup.

#8 2018-12-27 13:04:28 - Be glad we didn't get the Dallas Bowl invitation

I think in general terms it’s a big money waste. WEst Virginia v Utah was good on paper last year but nobody went to the actual game. Apparently USM v Washington was the lowest attended game for Dallas on record but yesterday’s crowd would have broken our record if it was official. I don’t understand how the lower bowls make money in reality. They try to convince the host city that it will generate millions for the local economy but that isn’t the case.

#9 2018-12-27 19:29:32 - Be glad we didn't get the Dallas Bowl invitation

AndreWhere (1252)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

I don’t understand how the lower bowls make money in reality. They try to convince the host city that it will generate millions for the local economy but that isn’t the case.

Now that I agree with. I always laugh at the "economic impact" figures for anything. Like most economics, they're just so speculative.

And who gets that impact? Oh, a bunch of people gassed up at a gas station owned by some dude from who knows where? And I'm supposed to benefit because just maybe some of it will go to the local government, whose services I hardly use anyway?

I will say that I've never gone to a USM bowl game and wondered how they were paying the bills. The 2000 GMAC Bowl, the 2002 Houston Bowl, the 2003 Liberty Bowl, last year's game, a couple of New Orleans Bowls... these were all well-attended events, often largely thanks to USM.

That's the overlooked strength of USM. It's ebbing away, but for a long time at least, people actually gave a shit.

Last edited by AndreWhere (2018-12-27 19:30:19)

#10 2018-12-28 09:00:17 - Be glad we didn't get the Dallas Bowl invitation

skyvoyager (177)

AndreWhere wrote:

I don’t understand how the lower bowls make money in reality. They try to convince the host city that it will generate millions for the local economy but that isn’t the case.

Now that I agree with. I always laugh at the "economic impact" figures for anything. Like most economics, they're just so speculative.

And who gets that impact? Oh, a bunch of people gassed up at a gas station owned by some dude from who knows where? And I'm supposed to benefit because just maybe some of it will go to the local government, whose services I hardly use anyway?

I will say that I've never gone to a USM bowl game and wondered how they were paying the bills. The 2000 GMAC Bowl, the 2002 Houston Bowl, the 2003 Liberty Bowl, last year's game, a couple of New Orleans Bowls... these were all well-attended events, often largely thanks to USM.

That's the overlooked strength of USM. It's ebbing away, but for a long time at least, people actually gave a shit.

I was at the 2002 houston bowl and I am not sure that it was well-attended largely thanks to usm.
Of the ~45,000 in attendance, it looked like we were outnumbered 2 to 1.

The 97 Liberty bowl we might have had 20-25 thousand out of ~50,000 which is sad because we couldn't get 25,000 to come to a home game against loserville that year.

Everyone has the right to be stupid... It's just that some people abuse the privilege.

#11 2018-12-28 09:10:50 - Be glad we didn't get the Dallas Bowl invitation

AndreWhere (1252)

skyvoyager wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

I was at the 2002 houston bowl and I am not sure that it was well-attended largely thanks to usm.

The 97 Liberty bowl we might have had 20-25 thousand out of ~50,000 which is sad because we couldn't get 25,000 to come to a home game against loserville that year.

Yeah, I was there and it could have been 10-to-1. I was embarrassed and pissed off, but after the extra large helping of bullshit USM fans were served in 2001 - 2002, I wasn't surprised.

The rest of those games had good USM representation, often more people than you'd see at a typical home game.

#12 2018-12-28 09:35:49 - Be glad we didn't get the Dallas Bowl invitation

skyvoyager (177)

AndreWhere wrote:
skyvoyager wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

Yeah, I was there and it could have been 10-to-1. I was embarrassed and pissed off, but after the extra large helping of bullshit USM fans were served in 2001 - 2002, I wasn't surprised.

The rest of those games had good USM representation, often more people than you'd see at a typical home game.

I always thought it was funny the year we went to Hawaii and everyone was upset because we didn't go to dallas and play in the pedophile bowl.

People would seriously say that we would have brought 30-35 thousand to dallas when we could not get 30  thousand to come to a home game against memphis.

Everyone has the right to be stupid... It's just that some people abuse the privilege.

#13 2018-12-28 09:43:18 - Be glad we didn't get the Dallas Bowl invitation

AndreWhere wrote:
skyvoyager wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

IMO, the 2002 Houston Bowl was poorly attended by USM because of the following:

We just played OSU for two consecutive seasons
We finished the last 7 games that season 3-4 including bad loses to Tulane, TCU and USF(I was at that one in Tampa...horrible)
The season before we finished 6-5 no bowl
Fanbase was starting to turn on Bowerball

On the flip side, OSU was finally turning the page with Les Miles in his second season. This was their first winning season in years. They finished the season beating #3 Oklahoma right before our bowl game. OSU has a massive alumni base between San Antonio and Houston and they hadn't really played a game in the state of Texas since the first week in October. They did play in Lubbock but that is essentially New Mexico.

#14 2018-12-28 10:17:01 - Be glad we didn't get the Dallas Bowl invitation

skyvoyager (177)

IMO, the 2002 Houston Bowl was poorly attended by USM because of the following:

We just played OSU for two consecutive seasons
We finished the last 7 games that season 3-4 including bad loses to Tulane, TCU and USF(I was at that one in Tampa...horrible)
The season before we finished 6-5 no bowl
Fanbase was starting to turn on Bowerball

On the flip side, OSU was finally turning the page with Les Miles in his second season. This was their first winning season in years. They finished the season beating #3 Oklahoma right before our bowl game. OSU has a massive alumni base between San Antonio and Houston and they hadn't really played a game in the state of Texas since the first week in October. They did play in Lubbock but that is essentially New Mexico.

Not sure about the turning on bowerball.... the 99 and 2000 teams were good.  Won the conference in 2003

it was the 04, 05, 06 ( 7-5 teams ) that started the turn.  It did not help that by 2007 we had ~75 on scholly either.

#15 2018-12-28 10:53:47 - Be glad we didn't get the Dallas Bowl invitation

skyvoyager wrote:

Not sure about the turning on bowerball.... the 99 and 2000 teams were good.  Won the conference in 2003

it was the 04, 05, 06 ( 7-5 teams ) that started the turn.  It did not help that by 2007 we had ~75 on scholly either.

Although we didn't know it at the time it happened the 2000 loss to Louisville, followed by the bad losses to Cinci and ECU officially turned the page on Bower. The 2000 team was a good team that failed to live up to their potential and was really one of the biggest wasted opportunities in our programs history.
Getting destroyed by not showing up against a bad two win Penn St team in 2001 was another moment in the fall of Bower. I was at the USF game in Tampa in 2002. To many of us there, that was a terrible loss since this was only their second season removed from 1AA ball. USF was 3-2 going into that game and would go on to have a great season but that game is when people really started to examine if Bower had past his best years.

Liked by:

#16 2018-12-28 11:07:34 - Be glad we didn't get the Dallas Bowl invitation

skyvoyager (177)

skyvoyager wrote:

Although we didn't know it at the time it happened the 2000 loss to Louisville, followed by the bad losses to Cinci and ECU officially turned the page on Bower. The 2000 team was a good team that failed to live up to their potential and was really one of the biggest wasted opportunities in our programs history.
Getting destroyed by not showing up against a bad two win Penn St team in 2001 was another moment in the fall of Bower. I was at the USF game in Tampa in 2002. To many of us there, that was a terrible loss since this was only their second season removed from 1AA ball. USF was 3-2 going into that game and would go on to have a great season but that game is when people really started to examine if Bower had past his best years.

could not agree more about 2000.... Cleveland wrote an article about that somewhere around 2006-2007.

before the loserville game in 2000, we were 25-2 in cusa with 3 conference championships.... after the loserville game
in 2000 we were 38-20 in cusa with 1 championship... that game seemed to be a turning point

speaking of cinci the 52-14 drubbing at home in 2004 was a big turning point for many.... i watched half the stadium leave during the 3rd qtr.

Last edited by skyvoyager (2018-12-28 11:13:09)

#17 2018-12-28 12:11:02 - Be glad we didn't get the Dallas Bowl invitation

AndreWhere (1252)

Yeah, that Cincinnati game was 2000 UL all over again. Something in those teams' DNA...  you could argue Fedora's 2011 team exhibited the same rise-and-fall-from grace pattern, but under Fedora it wasn't a blowout at home you got, and the skid didn't last longer than a game. 2000 UL is a 20 year hangover.

Last edited by AndreWhere (2018-12-28 12:17:41)

Board footer