CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-04 12:10:18 - Lessons to Learn

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

Lessons to Learn

Just finished reading the article on the Houston Cougars plan to hire Dana Holgorsen. It's lazy to sum it up as a big donor that threw money at a problem to fix it. Money had nothing to do with how they created a plan and had a belief in who they are and what they can accomplish collectively. Couple of points/statements from the Houston leadership and donors that we can all learn from and apply at Southern Miss today:

Cougs.png

Our past is invaluable at Southern Miss and will be key in our future success. We all thirst for that lightning in a bottle again, those proud feelings we experienced over the last decade during the double play against Florida in 2009, and the dominance against the #7 ranked opponent on ABC in 2011. We are not far removed from these moments.

In truth, a return to that feeling is one P5 upset and a CUSA title away. That's reality.

We have something nobody else has in our conference or in the AAC. We have a long standing proven tradition and resume in football that was built in the deep south over decades of success. Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime. 

I believe we have exceptional, game changing raw talent on our current football roster as well as some very special players who recently committed to USM. I believe we have exceptional coaches on this staff in supporting roles that are wanting the opportunity to show what they can do. The foundation is here at Southern Miss today.

The real challenge lies within the alumni and supporters of USM, right or wrong. Can I let go of the jaded experiences over the past few years and move forward by trusting in the future? Do I let decisions from past leaders no longer affiliated with USM define my love and commitment for Southern Miss today and tomorrow? Truth is, we all control our part in the success of USM athletics. I have no reason not to trust Jeff Mitchell today and will to give him the benefit that he is waking up each morning with the goal to return USM to the national stage. I have given my donation to the 2019 Eagle Club and will buy season tickets for this fall even though I live more than 8 hours away from campus. I care far less about the opponents on our schedule and more about the black and gold and tradition of The Rock.

I mentioned the other day that we honestly need to retire TTT. You can try and rebrand it with the USM base but in reality its tainted today. I am all for dusting off Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime. Its the foundation of our past. Most importantly, it defines our confidence going forward as we return to our rightful place in the college football landscape. I expect USM to make more sacrifices along the road back. I will expect our next leaders, position coaches and players to not accept failure as part of the journey going forward. That is what I expect in return for my investment. Accountability must start now. That is the message we need to hear from our administration today.

Learn from Houston and start acting like Southern Miss again.

Jeff_Bower_photo.jpg

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#2 2019-01-04 13:17:28 - Lessons to Learn

Black Diamond Reb (418)

Re: Lessons to Learn

What about Emporia State's blitz packages?

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#3 2019-01-04 13:39:33 - Lessons to Learn

EagleFWB (176)

NG had me ready to run through a brick wall!.... until I scrolled to the mag pic and almost threw up  lol  lol  lol

#4 2019-01-04 14:55:21 - Lessons to Learn

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

EagleFWB wrote:

NG had me ready to run through a brick wall!.... until I scrolled to the mag pic and almost threw up  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I was on the fence with including that cover image but since he is part of the family I guess we can include it........just glad he beat Fresno and Colorado St for that cover photo......

Lost in the shuffle of recent failures live some great achievements within our Southern Miss family right now. You want to run through a brick wall for USM, watch Nick Mullens NFL Network post game interview again after his first start.....talking to Brett Favre and his first comments after the game of his career...

"Im glad I can just represent Southern Miss the way you did"

Look at Jaden Johnson, USM QB recruit, holding offers from UGA and Louisville. Watch his emotional signing day presser covered by local media when he talked about his mom and his decision on choosing Southern Miss......

"I found my home"

Look at Brian Dozier, playing in the October classic, the biggest stage in baseball.....Not big enough, how about Tori Bowie winning Gold in Rio and training for her next olympics right now. Hell, throw in the love Monken is getting in the NFL just three years removed from Hattiesburg.

This kind of success is not happening at other G5 programs like it is at Southern Miss today. These should be our stories right now until the next chapter is written. USM Marketing needs to use this at every opportunity as we navigate these current athletic program challenges.

If it doesn't exist already we need a Southern Miss Sports Council. Call it our own league of champions. Tori, Brian, and Nick all get a seat at the table along with countless greats from the past. Once, maybe twice a year, they speak to our student athletes about competition in todays world while touching on the impact of Southern Miss. I'd pay to attend that meeting.

As Brett Favre said regarding Nick Mullens......."All he needed was an opportunity. He got it, and he made the most of it."

That statement is who we are as a program and why I am excited about the future at Southern Miss.

Tori_Bowie_with_flag_courtesy_MS_Sports_Hall_of_Fame_web_t670.jpg?b3f6a5d7692ccc373d56e40cf708e3fa67d9af9d

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Liked by:

Board footer