CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-07 15:41:08 - No Playoff Expansion until 2026

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

No Playoff Expansion until 2026

Mark Keenum, chair of @CFBPlayoff board of managers: “It’s fair to say the speculation about expansion has outdistanced the reality of what the commissioners and presidents have discussed”

Call it what it is.....its a monopoly for the wealthy and thats ok. Thats why they have country clubs and first class seating on flights. If you can't afford it you don't just get to use it because you feel you deserve it.

I am good with moving up the timeline of the inevitable and just do your own thing. Reality is that due to inflated athletic budgets the G5 can never compete on a level playing field with a majority of the P5. The days of Southern Miss playing Auburn and Bama are going to come to an end as soon as television rights require conferences to add more conference games vs playing The Citadel or MTSU.  The G5 needs to create their own playoff. If ESPN and the P5 want to control all aspects of FBS Football Playoff then so be it.

The G5 needs to hit the RESET button as it relates to football and athletic budgets. If Houston and UCF want to increase spending to $50 million a year let them. Most will keep it as reasonable as their enrollment dictates in the G5 which is more fair and balanced compared to a Texas($207 million) vs Washington St($71 million) in the P5. Judy needs to work with other G5 leaders and non New Years day bowls and create a playoff for the G5. I would prefer it to follow the FCS format but start with 16 teams instead of 24. Award a designated city a contract to host the championship instead of a rotating bowl game. Bowl games can be used as host sites for the different rounds as you get closer to the championship.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#2 2019-01-07 16:42:27 - No Playoff Expansion until 2026

TheChosenOne (295)

Re: No Playoff Expansion until 2026

G5 executives are scared shitless to challenge the P5.

I’d not so eagerly drift off into the night without a fight. There are potential remedies however, as mentioned, G5 crew are satisfied remaining on their knees for crumbs. The only fight, somewhat, G5 have is trying to be the tallest midget.

#3 2019-01-07 17:24:09 - No Playoff Expansion until 2026

AndreWhere (1252)

What's the goal?

To declare a G5 national champion? We have that. It's UCF this year.

Is the goal more games against G5 teams? Why?

Would USM ever win such a tournament? I doubt it. We can keep ratcheting down the level of competition, and the administration will only ratchet down its effort (and the real budget, the quality of coaches, players, opponents, etc.) to match.

That has been the story of USM athletics since 1995, when some administrators at USM found a clever trick to make their lives easier. They created a phony conference that no one except USM actually wanted to be in, with no real permanency to it.

No more would USM football be judged by games against Mississippi State, Ole Miss, or FSU. A new, lower bar was established. That's what got us here today, not ESPN, or the BCS, or the mean old SEC.

The G5 as a whole will never compete with the P5, but that doesn't mean individual programs cannot. College football looks difficult outside of a few schools because most schools don't give a flip about it. Most university presidents would trade a faculty member winning a Nobel Prize for 10 national championships.

If USM wants football to succeed, it will, even against P5 teams. If it wants to keep chasing crowns of tin, expect the slide toward oblivion to continue.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

Liked by:

#4 2019-01-07 19:13:36 - No Playoff Expansion until 2026

I hear you. It’s just not possible to have giant killer teams like USM in the past in today’s game. Money is the biggest factor of change since our days of consistent upsets. Then add the number of schools now playing D1 and you water down talent across a bigger field. The game has even changed since Boise pulled the Statue of Liberty against Oklahoma. Every season you will have a UCF but it’s not sustainable and what does it really mean? UCF beat a mentally flat Auburn and lost to a LSU team missing 9 or 10 starters. Just look at Northern Illinois, Western Michigan, etc recently. What did those one shining moments accomplish in reality?

I’d rather have a final four tournament with Boise UCF Southern Miss and Fresno compared to a bowl game against a 5 loss Duke or TCU......but that’s just me......

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Liked by:

#5 2019-01-07 20:45:19 - No Playoff Expansion until 2026

AndreWhere (1252)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

I hear you. It’s just not possible to have giant killer teams like USM in the past in today’s game. Money is the biggest factor of change since our days of consistent upsets. Then add the number of schools now playing D1 and you water down talent across a bigger field. The game has even changed since Boise pulled the Statue of Liberty against Oklahoma. Every season you will have a UCF but it’s not sustainable and what does it really mean? UCF beat a mentally flat Auburn and lost to a LSU team missing 9 or 10 starters. Just look at Northern Illinois, Western Michigan, etc recently. What did those one shining moments accomplish in reality?

I’d rather have a final four tournament with Boise UCF Southern Miss and Fresno compared to a bowl game against a 5 loss Duke or TCU......but that’s just me......

I'm clinging to 1990, but if I'm not sure I'd have even heard of USM when I chose a college if USM had been a I-AA school back then. Hell, I didn't even know Troy State was in Alabama until I was 21.

What did those one shining moments accomplish in reality?

Anyone even remotely familiar with college sports knows who UCF is now. They have been Googled, as not just a team but as a school, hundreds of thousands if not millions of times because of their 2017 and 2018 football teams.

How do you put a price on that? It takes too much jet fuel to get to Connecticut to make that worthwhile? Give me a break. You could replace that jet fuel with 14 karat gold and it would still be a worthwhile investment. People in Orlando realize that. People in USM's little neck of the woods do not.

Hell, Walt Disney wanted to put Disney World right in USM's back yard... not UCF's. How many times do we have to eat hot dogs while we watch the other yokels right down the road eat Filet Mignon?

#6 2019-01-07 21:29:26 - No Playoff Expansion until 2026

I forgot about UCONN being in the Fiesta Bowl in 2011.......

Add them to the list. I think all that BCS success really put UCONN on the football map. I think they won 3 games over the past two years.

UCF will be forgotten by October just like the rest.

#7 2019-01-07 21:48:29 - No Playoff Expansion until 2026

AndreWhere (1252)

Add them to the list. I think all that BCS success really put UCONN on the football map. I think they won 3 games over the past two years.

You're looking at things from a football perspective. That's not everything.

UCF is lower middle class when it comes to football, like USM. But the waves they have made in the pond will echo beyond their little triumphs on the gridiron. They are discussed relentlessly by media losers who are looking for something to talk about.

25 years ago these same losers were talking about USM, and that's how I heard about USM. As a result USM has an alumnus who's doing pretty well professionally, who's presented shit at conferences and published in academic journals, who runs a website about USM.

That's what UCF is building right now, times 10. And USM isn't doing that anymore.

I got chewed out on the other board for saying this. Sports are sports, schools are schools, and one doesn't impact the other. And I'm the President of Romania.

#8 2019-01-07 22:23:28 - No Playoff Expansion until 2026

AndreWhere wrote:

You're looking at things from a football perspective. That's not everything.

UCF is lower middle class when it comes to football, like USM. But the waves they have made in the pond will echo beyond their little triumphs on the gridiron. They are discussed relentlessly by media losers who are looking for something to talk about.

25 years ago these same losers were talking about USM, and that's how I heard about USM. As a result USM has an alumnus who's doing pretty well professionally, who's presented shit at conferences and published in academic journals, who runs a website about USM.

That's what UCF is building right now, times 10. And USM isn't doing that anymore.

I got chewed out on the other board for saying this. Sports are sports, schools are schools, and one doesn't impact the other. And I'm the President of Romania.

I heard about USM 26 years ago because they said, “yes” to me when everyone else said, “hell no”.

I still think Louisville got the true last ticket off the island of misfit toys. TCU might think they did but their conference is one step ahead of the AAC since A&M left which isn’t saying much.

Board footer