CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-28 18:20:38 - The dark side of cutting the cord

AndreWhere (1252)

The dark side of cutting the cord

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/ … mb/581059/

TVs can "crash" now, and the manufacturer will neither fix the problem nor let you remove the offending software.

Tip: if you want a big, fancy new TV, just get a computer monitor. You won't get speakers, or each and every one of the 14 new plugs that have somehow been foisted upon us, but what you will get is a dumb device that just shows nice pictures. If you want a Roku or whatever, buy it separately, safe in the knowledge that you can disconnect it and even throw it in a nearby creek when it jumps the proverbial shark.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#2 2019-01-29 10:55:06 - The dark side of cutting the cord

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

Re: The dark side of cutting the cord

Good article, Dunwoody. Something I never thought of before but I guess anything with internet access can be hacked, including smart lightbulbs I guess.
So I have three Samsung smart tvs dating back to 2013. I dont use the smart apps included by Samsung because they run very slow compared to using a Chromecast HDMI dongle or an Apple TV box. My 2013 Samsung has whats called an Evolution Box which allows you to change out the brains of the TV every few years to a new Evolution box so you can upgrade it without the typical tv high cost investment but its still a Samsung smart box which isn't that great compared to Apple. Not to say you can't hack Apple but I haven't experienced any Apple issues to date knock on wood.

The bigger problem coming to cutting the cord now is the cost. Everybody is increasing their prices.....Netflix, Hulu, etc.....before you know it you will be back to Directv prices.......

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Board footer