CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#41 2019-02-05 14:33:33 - Art Briles set to become our new offensive coordinator

stinkfist (764)

Re: Art Briles set to become our new offensive coordinator

EagleFWB wrote:

Saw on Twitter where he was apparently at the dugout club banquet last night... Any of you guys confirm that?

fwiw, I can confirm he was here yesterday and the banquet was on Sat....

95368035975122i7o8%5B1%5D.jpg493758851198d75b9e7118c23f42f2ad02c1efee979.gif

#42 2019-02-05 14:36:49 - Art Briles set to become our new offensive coordinator

EagleFWB (176)

Sorry just assumed it was last night b/c of the tweet. So he's been in town since Sat?

The fact that he was there at all says this must be a done deal.

#43 2019-02-05 14:38:44 - Art Briles set to become our new offensive coordinator

SoMs Eagle (189)

Dang this will cost me money. Season tickets here I come! First time in a while....

#44 2019-02-05 14:40:57 - Art Briles set to become our new offensive coordinator

Fighting eagle (114)

Had to get him to agree and then hired before signing day tomorrow so remaining recruits would know who would be the coach.

#45 2019-02-06 09:11:56 - Art Briles set to become our new offensive coordinator

Fighting eagle (114)

Bennett just nixed the hire in a letter sent out. And said he doesn't want to hear anymore about it.

#46 2019-02-06 09:23:42 - Art Briles set to become our new offensive coordinator

Mao Tse-gore (412)

Snivelling PC cowards....TTFTMF!

We still suck bigtime.
There's a big difference between optimism and an altered state of reality.
Not another dime, not another mile, not another minute.
MSFlag.gif

Liked by:

#47 2019-02-06 09:31:08 - Art Briles set to become our new offensive coordinator

stinkfist (764)

Mao Tse-gore wrote:

Snivelling PC cowards....TTFTMF!

on the bright side, SoMsEagle can now save his money, J-Lo is engaged, and we will continue to sift through the dumpster looking for more TTT...

95368035975122i7o8%5B1%5D.jpg493758851198d75b9e7118c23f42f2ad02c1efee979.gif

#48 2019-02-06 09:34:30 - Art Briles set to become our new offensive coordinator

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

This is getting close to about the worst case scenario. Internal disagreements now going public. No AD to manage this. We lose Walden because of this process I am officially done. Bennett needs to go. Poor leader who failed to respond in a manner that respected both sides of the decision.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#49 2019-02-06 09:41:15 - Art Briles set to become our new offensive coordinator

In a statement to @WatchStadium, former Baylor coach Art Briles: “I appreciate the trust and support of Coach Hopson - I was informed by the Interim AD today, that the ongoing NCAA investigation with Baylor and me was the main issue (on not being hired at Southern Miss)”

On the surface that conflicts with Hops statement. You can spin it if you are Lamont, but the way I read Hops comments it had nothing to do with the NCAA and everything to do with "second chances"

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#50 2019-02-06 09:42:42 - Art Briles set to become our new offensive coordinator

On the bright side, Hop is done with Bennett and I bet Bennett is done with Hop after his public response. Can't have this play out and then everybody is fine playing in the sandbox again.

#51 2019-02-06 09:58:02 - Art Briles set to become our new offensive coordinator

EagleFWB (176)

Hop's comments... This could get interesting.

"Although I respect the decision of Dr. Rodney Bennett, I disagree with it. I am so grateful for the grace and forgiveness God gives me which allows me to inherit his kingdom, which I do not deserve. I have interviewed for an assistant position at Southern Miss and I believe he is a man who believes a second chance. He is a man that seemed sincere and humble in his interview and personally he committed no crime. He may not have acted in the proper protocol but that would be my JOB at Southern Miss. He was interviewing for an assistant position even thought I believe he will be a head coach at a major program in the near future. However, I believe he is a man who does love the Lord and deserves a second chance. He has been banned from a job in college football for three years and has been punished. I understand both sides have opinions, this is just mine."

http://footballscoop.com/news/southern- … n-however/

Last edited by EagleFWB (2019-02-06 10:21:48)

#52 2019-02-06 09:59:02 - Art Briles set to become our new offensive coordinator

Fighting eagle (114)

I believe that this little carnival show we watched  for the past few days is going to hurt football even more seeing that the overwhelming response from the actual football fans and season ticket holders was positive for his hire. I believe you're going to see backlash. an even bigger decline in not only attendance but eagle club support.

#53 2019-02-06 10:13:21 - Art Briles set to become our new offensive coordinator

Mao Tse-gore (412)

This really guts us.

I was ready to open my wallet and get back in.

Bennett is what we always knew he was.

He must be made to face the music.

We still suck bigtime.
There's a big difference between optimism and an altered state of reality.
Not another dime, not another mile, not another minute.
MSFlag.gif

#54 2019-02-06 10:28:02 - Art Briles set to become our new offensive coordinator

Never ask a question you don't already know the answer to at this level.

Question #1 for Lamont: Did you discuss the possibility of Art Briles joining the coaching staff prior to his arrival in Hattiesburg?

Question #2 for Lamont: Did you have a general understanding of the situation regarding Baylor and Art Briles prior to his arrival in Hattiesburg?

Question #3 for Lamont: Did you seek or consult any advice from CUSA, NCAA, Baylor, past Baylor leaders, legal counsel regarding Art Briles prior to his arrival in Hattiesburg?

Question #4 for Lamont: Did you authorize any USM staff member to test public opinion on the possibility of Art Briles joining USM prior or during his arrival in Hattiesburg?

If Lamont answers yes to any, if not all of the above, then he failed as President of USM with his decision. The result of Lamonts lack of leadership has created a new division within an already  fractured Alumni base. Letting it get to this point only to retreat with a basic short paragraph statement further demonstrates his failure to respect his fellow colleagues or remaining financial donors.
The only one who walks away a winner in this scenario is Coach Hopson. The man only answers to one person in his life and thats the Lord above. If you didn't know why Jay is an exceptional recruiter prior to his response this morning you do now.

#55 2019-02-06 10:33:16 - Art Briles set to become our new offensive coordinator

AndreWhere (1252)

I think it was a publicity stunt. Everyone talked about USM for 3 days, and in the end we get to walk away looking benevolent and PC and give Walden the job. Well done.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#56 2019-02-06 10:35:04 - Art Briles set to become our new offensive coordinator

Fighting eagle (114)

I will say this about Jay. It took guts to want to bring in an ex Head Coach of Briles success knowing that he would probably get over shadowed by his presence here.

#57 2019-02-06 10:40:13 - Art Briles set to become our new offensive coordinator

Black Diamond Reb (418)

Question 5 for the long suffering: Did you really think this would play out in any way other than classic TTT ?

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#58 2019-02-06 10:42:42 - Art Briles set to become our new offensive coordinator

EagleFWB (176)

Fighting eagle wrote:

I will say this about Jay. It took guts to want to bring in an ex Head Coach of Briles success knowing that he would probably get over shadowed by his presence here.

Also to contradict your boss on a national level.... Hop might have just sealed his future fate.

#59 2019-02-06 10:44:56 - Art Briles set to become our new offensive coordinator

Debbie Bower is all in on her disagreement with Lamont.

Guess that takes Jeff off the AD list.

Mitchell is done as well after this. You know the three(Lamont, Mitchell and Hop) had an exit strategy discussion on this. Hop going Cowboy with his own comments shows that Mitchell has zero control over his staff.

Liked by:

#60 2019-02-06 10:48:19 - Art Briles set to become our new offensive coordinator

EagleFWB wrote:
Fighting eagle wrote:

Also to contradict your boss on a national level.... Hop might have just sealed his future fate.

Wouldnt be surprised if they come to some financial agreement to part ways soon. Hop is due $1.5 million which isn't terrible. Agree to pay him $1 million with no strings attached with his future earnings from another institution.

Enter Larry Fedora and his return to Southern Miss in 5, 4, 3, 2.........

Board footer