CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-17 20:31:32 - So Ladner...

EagleFWB (176)

So Ladner...

Any thoughts on this one way or another?

#2 2019-04-17 21:01:43 - So Ladner...

Mao Tse-gore (412)

Re: So Ladner...

We still suck bigtime.
There's a big difference between optimism and an altered state of reality.
Not another dime, not another mile, not another minute.
MSFlag.gif

Liked by:

#3 2019-04-17 21:18:51 - So Ladner...

AndreWhere (1252)

There was apparently a groundswell of support for Ladner from a bunch of USM insiders who know him personally. We've seen that in the past, and it doesn't always turn out well.

The 1987 team considered the prospect of Weatherspoon getting the job, and the prospect of Ladner getting the job, and they spoke up en masse for Ladner. Not sure what to make of that. They like him, but plenty of likeable guys end up as busts.

That said, I really hope Jay succeeds.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#4 2019-04-17 22:49:34 - So Ladner...

EagleFWB (176)

I'm pretty indifferent at the end of the day. I hope he succeeds.... Whatever that means now.

Last edited by EagleFWB (2019-04-17 22:50:06)

#5 2019-04-18 07:34:29 - So Ladner...

Mao Tse-gore (412)

Looks like the guy hired at Troy had better credentials.

We still suck bigtime.
MSFlag.gif

#6 2019-04-18 07:45:30 - So Ladner...

AndreWhere (1252)

Mao Tse-gore wrote:

I suspect that this is all about Jeremy caving in to some people who really don't need to have that kind of influence. He knows exactly what Ladner's resume looks like and he hired him anyway.

#7 2019-04-18 08:13:08 - So Ladner...

Ace Barker (260)
Website

AndreWhere wrote:
Mao Tse-gore wrote:

I suspect that this is all about Jeremy caving in to some people who really don't need to have that kind of influence. He knows exactly what Ladner's resume looks like and he hired him anyway.

I doubt what I am writing, but "hear" goes. Now that the influential people have "they're" coach, will they pony up to move the facilities and recruiting budgets to some sort of respectability? The "one of ours" coach will draw some additional fans but "oui" all "no" winning will be what returns the basketball program to the M.K. Turk days ... maybe. I am not knocking Coach Ladner. He is probably as good as anyone.

I remember Bill McClellan telling me years ago, "This is a tough place." I thought about Mr. Mac after the "simular" comments from Coach Sadler on twitter.

"Up in the air junior birdman
Up in the air upside down
Up in the air junior birdman
Keep your noses off the ground!"

Ace...

#8 2019-04-18 08:34:18 - So Ladner...

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

EagleFWB wrote:

I'm pretty indifferent at the end of the day. I hope he succeeds.... Whatever that means now.

One point that is not being discussed that is probably the main reason for the Ladner hiring is salary. I would bet that we lost most if not all candidates when it came down to pay rate. Billy Kennedy was/is at $2.45 million. Ladner's original deal with SELA running through 2019 had him at 100K plus incentives. Mark Adams was at $250K plus incentives (which I guess all but one were achieved this season) but I would bet TT had the opportunity to counter and match any offer. Essentially Mark Adams might have made $100K more best case scenario if we went up to $400K and that doesn't move the needle considering the coach he just helped make the title game is making $2.8 million a season.

Doc making $350K, inflated for CUSA and placing him as the third highest paid coach in the conference after Tim Floyd quit UTEP.

Ladner isn't here now because he is the most qualified. He isn't here because he interviewed the best. He isn't here because the 87 NIT team wrote a nice letter of recommendation. He is here because we are probably saving money compared to what we paid Doc.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Liked by:

#9 2019-04-18 08:45:31 - So Ladner...

Reading what Ace wrote you can look at this hire like this........when you want new facilities, you do what you can to get people to write a check. Ladner could be seen as an olive banch(not MS). You give the "influential people" what they want so you get what you want later. Jeremy now how pull with the old USM influence because he "listened".

Because Doc got us to 20+ wins and post season, Ladner doesn't get the rebuilding pass Doc was given for so many years. At best he gets 3 to make the post season. If he doesn't, and the Toby Taco Tax and old USM money has already paid for the new arena, then you hire the right guy to fill the new place.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Liked by:

#10 2019-04-18 09:08:16 - So Ladner...

Black Diamond Reb (418)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

Doc got us to 20+ wins and post season.

giphy.gif

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#11 2019-04-18 09:09:54 - So Ladner...

Live Presser Highlights.......

Rodney making light of Jeremy not technically getting paid while hiring a new basketball coach

Rodney was motivated so much by Jays love for USM that he is going to suit up this fall and play.......

Juan Cox continues to love on Rodney as much as humanly possible with his introductions

Jeremy McClain takes the podium. Jeremy will send Rodney a bill for working without pay

Jeremy first thanks Turks wife and daughter who were in attendance.....class move

Jeremy also thanked the basketball team during the process...

#12 2019-04-18 09:20:34 - So Ladner...

Continued.....

Jeremy wanted a connected local recruiter. Someone that could energize the fanbase.

Jeremy said Rick Pitino reached out but wasn't a good fit when we continued to refer to us as Ole Miss.....

Per Jeremy SELA was on probation when Jay took them over....did not know that

Jay Ladner takes the podium...

you can tell his emotion is high..genuine....very humbled to get this chance

Grew up/Lived in Oak Grove when it wasn't cool to live in Oak Grove.....

Thanked the Lord first......Doc Bennett, Jeremy, Jeff Mitchell.....He didn't think Bennett would hire him after the interview. Told his wife we are staying in Hammond....

Thanked the players for the honor to be their coach.

His parents are in attendance. Dad taught at USM near the old fieldhouse.....damn I remember that building.

Last edited by Nugget's Ghostbuster (2019-04-18 09:35:22)

#13 2019-04-18 09:31:44 - So Ladner...

continued.....

He recruited some of the guys on the current USM roster

His brother Stu played football at USM

Several players and coaches from the late 80's in attendance

Big shout out for MK Turk. Talked about what Coach Turk meant to him.

Essentially reading off his resume to the audience. OG Coach Breland in attendance and thanks him for his support, bringing him to near tears...

"We're in it to win it" is his slogan.....look for yard signs coming soon once we run out of those #30KTIMES5 run out.....

#14 2019-04-18 09:39:23 - So Ladner...

Black Diamond Reb (418)

"We're in it to win it"

To win what exactly  .. The Mayor's Cup back from Carey?

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#15 2019-04-18 09:43:04 - So Ladner...

Continued.....

He talked about the Rock when it was one level.....and when we added the second level we played home football games in Biloxi against Cal St Fullerton

He talked about Juan Cox coming to USM to play basketball

Corky in attendance....Jay talked about playing baseball behind Van Hall

To answer BDR I think he is saying we can win the National Championship. He referenced that Louisville did it and its time for USM to do it......

#16 2019-04-18 09:48:21 - So Ladner...

Continued.....

Talked about 87 NIT game against Ole Miss. He said there was a line hours before tipoff to get into Reed Green. Said a lot of good teams have lost in RGC and its about to start again.

He has received thousands of texts since he was hired last night.

He has been asked how can USM fans help. He said buy tickets for all sports, not just basketball. He said buy tickets for Joyes team as well.....she is there at the presser.......not sure why she is still employed

He didn't take this job to have a foot out the door for the next one.....this is home and he wants to prove everyone that has supported him right.

#17 2019-04-18 09:55:08 - So Ladner...

Mao Tse-gore (412)

Continued.....
He said buy tickets for Joyes team as well.....she is there at the presser.......not sure why she is still employed

She's one of "us".

We still suck bigtime.
MSFlag.gif

#18 2019-04-18 10:29:50 - So Ladner...

AndreWhere (1252)

I don't buy the Kennedy-vs.-Ladner dichotomy. Seems like they set up someone they knew wasn't coming so that when they hired Ladner people could say "oh, well that other guy wasn't a realistic possibility anyway."

When this coaching search started, I sat down with an NCAA tournament bracket and identified the guy at Prairie View as a good candidate. I do not think this philosophy was employed in the search as it actually happened. It was all a show.

Each time we have one of these meetings, it resembles the town hall meeting from Blazing Saddles more and more. This is no longer a serious athletic department, it's a "good old boys' club."

#19 2019-04-18 10:57:12 - So Ladner...

Mao Tse-gore (412)

But, will JL, with his local legacy, be used strongly out front to promote the tax increase vote for RG upgrades?

We still suck bigtime.
MSFlag.gif

Liked by:

#20 2019-04-18 11:46:26 - So Ladner...

Mao Tse-gore wrote:

But, will JL, with his local legacy, be used strongly out front to promote the tax increase vote for RG upgrades?

Hattiesburg isn’t the same place Ladner left. He’d actually take votes away in today’s burg....

Liked by:

Board footer