CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-07 17:45:05 - Boxing Eagle Thoughts.....

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

Boxing Eagle Thoughts.....

Can’t defend this in year 4.......I understand your appropriate approach to be optimistic and respectful to your connections within and outside the program but at what point do you honestly view this for what it is in year 4? You didn’t think 50 points was possible on this defense but man if they don’t drop one in the sun or lose their qb 12 more points on the board isn’t that hard to accomplish.

Let’s put our kid gloves away and honestly assess what needs to happen......

Last edited by Nugget's Ghostbuster (2019-09-07 19:30:17)

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#2 2019-09-07 18:15:40 - Boxing Eagle Thoughts.....

skyvoyager (177)

Re: Boxing Eagle Thoughts.....

Kind off lost here.... everyone on this board
Predicted 1-3 or 2-2 after 4 games....
What has changed?  Did we not look good
Enough in the loss everyone predicted so
Now suddenly after 2 games it is fire
Hop time?

I seriously don’t understand

Everyone has the right to be stupid... It's just that some people abuse the privilege.

#3 2019-09-07 18:20:20 - Boxing Eagle Thoughts.....

TheChosenOne (295)

Only speaking for myself.

Did not expect to win today. I did however expect to compete. The score was not a true reflection of how bad that beat down truly was. Extremely disappointed in the lack of preparation and HEART.....  piss poor performance.

Again just my two cents

#4 2019-09-07 18:24:26 - Boxing Eagle Thoughts.....

We didn’t compete. Before you blinked we were down 14. Didn’t think we would win but in the fourth year of this staff you expect more and frankly should. A loss by 1 or 23 is still a loss but I’m not gonna lie I am beyond disappointed with this being the standard and expectation of a once proud and respected program.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Liked by:

#5 2019-09-07 18:26:35 - Boxing Eagle Thoughts.....

skyvoyager (177)

TheChosenOne wrote:

Did not expect to win today. I did however expect to compete. The score was not a true reflection of how bad that beat down truly was. Extremely disappointed in the lack of preparation and HEART.....  piss poor performance.

Again just my two cents

Thanks just curious... I think hop has
Under performed for sure but no way
We get out of the first 4 games without
2 or 3 losses

Everyone has the right to be stupid... It's just that some people abuse the privilege.

Liked by:

#6 2019-09-07 18:41:54 - Boxing Eagle Thoughts.....

stinkfist (764)

skyvoyager wrote:
TheChosenOne wrote:

Again just my two cents

2 or 3 losses

2-2 was mine at best....

it's easily 1-3 with a 5-7 final record....

Last edited by stinkfist (2019-09-07 18:42:37)

95368035975122i7o8%5B1%5D.jpg493758851198d75b9e7118c23f42f2ad02c1efee979.gif

#7 2019-09-07 18:55:03 - Boxing Eagle Thoughts.....

TheChosenOne (295)

stinkfist wrote:
skyvoyager wrote:
TheChosenOne wrote:

Again just my two cents

2 or 3 losses

2-2 was mine at best....

If anyone cares to go back through my comments I’ve not made derogatory comments  regarding this coaching staff. In fact, until now, thought Hopson had done hell of a job on the defensive side of the ball. 

Butttttttttttttt if we go 5-7 after 6-6 in year #4 it’s time to clean house

#8 2019-09-07 19:10:52 - Boxing Eagle Thoughts.....

Defense has been good but when we play decent opponents it’s not a #7 nationally ranked defense. I think Hop is a solid D coordinator for a top 30-50 program. Truth be told Briles was his Hail Mary for him to take the next progression with this team and it didn’t happen. There hasn’t been anything special about this program to point at to say we are trending in the right direction. If waiting for CUSA play is suppose to be the only measuring stick and I don’t need to count what happens at Troy next week then it’s worse than I thought and trust me there are plenty of Toppers that will tell you don’t worry about what happens in Troy because UTEP is the only upcoming game that matters......

Liked by:

#9 2019-09-07 19:18:12 - Boxing Eagle Thoughts.....

stinkfist (764)

TheChosenOne wrote:
stinkfist wrote:
skyvoyager wrote:

2 or 3 losses

2-2 was mine at best....

If anyone cares to go back through my comments I’ve not made derogatory comments  regarding this coaching staff. In fact, until now, thought Hopson had done hell of a job on the defensive side of the ball. 

Butttttttttttttt if we go 5-7 after 6-6 in year #4 it’s time to clean house

it's nothing personal, nor should it be....

but business is business.....

I curb stomped E12L's sorry arse out of the gate and backed up Monk when most were calling for his head....my only problem with Fedhat was keeping him for the bowl game...

southern miss fans have a tendency to become too emotionally involved b/c people are 'nice' until it's too late....

we play in a shiTTTy conference and can't compete OOC or dominate a weak west....

the talent pool in the south is rich enough to recruit/win 8/9/10 annually where we current sit....

hell, just wait until the next phase of realignment...not only do we currently recruit against, ULM, ULL, USA, Troy, and the 'lot', but they'll become our conference mates as the leftovers figure out who to pair up with....

I wasn't happy when hop was hired....I'm dayum certainly not happy with him now...

Last edited by stinkfist (2019-09-07 19:20:06)

95368035975122i7o8%5B1%5D.jpg493758851198d75b9e7118c23f42f2ad02c1efee979.gif

Liked by:

#10 2019-09-07 19:49:13 - Boxing Eagle Thoughts.....

BoxingEagle (69)

I thought we had a chance if the ball bounced our way but it was clear early on that we were overmatched. They were bigger, faster, stronger. I thought we’d match up with them better than we did. I was encouraged by the way the offense played at times but I think it really hurt when Coker went down. The line was legitimately getting a push up front. The disappointing things were some of the offensive playcalling, punting early on and the inability to get the ball in the end zone.

Is Hopson the answer long term? It’s hard to say at this point but I’m not going to judge him against a team that has every single advantage over us. There’s plenty of room for improvement and outside of Alabama there isn’t a game on the schedule where we don’t at least have a shot to win.  I’m excited for the rest of the season and I think at least winning the West is an attainable goal. Anything less than 8 wins will be a disappointment.

Liked by:

#11 2019-09-07 20:12:49 - Boxing Eagle Thoughts.....

SoMs Eagle (189)

We all want to win.....but.....it’s dang hard to beat a Porsche with a Kia. That analogy goes all the way across the board. Their budget allows paying coaches ridiculous salaries. Their recruiting budget dwarfs our actual budget. Winning now or in the future against those with these advantages will become only more impossible. The end of competing with these type teams has arrived. And it won’t come around again.....

#12 2019-09-07 20:18:02 - Boxing Eagle Thoughts.....

BoxingEagle wrote:

Is Hopson the answer long term? It’s hard to say at this point but I’m not going to judge him against a team that has every single advantage over us..

Good observations regarding some of the positives from the game. I promise I am not sizing up Hops performance only on how we played against an average State team in Y4. I don’t see how it’s hard to say at this point if Hop is the right leader. His biggest win was game 1 in 2016. We have only dominated UTEP, Rice and one game against Charlotte under Hop over the last three seasons(FBS only). I want the same thing you want for this program. I am looking for something.......anything......to show me we are trending in the right direction. I’m not seeing it and man I’m looking really hard.....

Liked by:

#13 2019-09-07 20:26:24 - Boxing Eagle Thoughts.....

SoMs Eagle (189)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:
BoxingEagle wrote:

Is Hopson the answer long term? It’s hard to say at this point but I’m not going to judge him against a team that has every single advantage over us..

Good observations regarding some of the positives from the game. I promise I am not sizing up Hops performance only on how we played against an average State team in Y4. I don’t see how it’s hard to say at this point if Hop is the right leader. His biggest win was game 1 in 2016. We have only dominated UTEP, Rice and one game against Charlotte under Hop over the last three seasons(FBS only). I want the same thing you want for this program. I am looking for something.......anything......to show me we are trending in the right direction. I’m not seeing it and man I’m looking really hard.....

What do you consider “trending in the right direction”?
Realistically we will never beat another $EC team. It ain’t happening. Now we could still win this crappy league but if one looks at it realistically what advantage do we have over any of them?  They all have bigger and growing budgets. They all have excited fans who don’t have the scar tissue we do. And don’t forget the Troys of the world think beating us is some kind of positive thing. We are who we are and it ain’t getting no better.....

#14 2019-09-07 20:46:13 - Boxing Eagle Thoughts.....

AndreWhere (1252)

I was already a Hopson skeptic.  I did not expect a victory, but what was disconcerting today was the sloppiness.

If you want to reach your potential you have to do the little things right, like punting, kicking, and handing off.

Hop has recruited well. This team is fast- maybe as fast as any USM team in 20+ years. The team has talent. Today's game should have been closer.

Maybe I realized it before, but the fact that this team's weakness is coaching came into sharp focus today.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#15 2019-09-07 20:56:01 - Boxing Eagle Thoughts.....

TheChosenOne (295)

SoMs Eagle wrote:
Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:
BoxingEagle wrote:

What do you consider “trending in the right direction”? .

Question not directed to me but apply my two pennies

COMPETITIVE!!!!  simple enough. State isn’t Bama, they are average. Today score was not representative of how badly we were beat. Today was an ole fashion beat down, not COMPETITIVE at all

Board footer