CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-18 10:28:54 - A loss tomorrow can be a good thing......

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

A loss tomorrow can be a good thing......

So whats the plan when La Tech beats Southern Miss tomorrow afternoon? A loss tomorrow is not that bad ......a new business plan will take flight before we even leave Ruston.

We will hear from Hop that we still have everything ahead of us in spite of our loss in his post game presser. Reality.....La Tech will need to lose two games in order for us to have a shot of regaining control without us losing another game the rest of the way. That means Marshall and UAB will both have to beat La Tech and I don't see that happening so for all intents and purposes our conference title dies tomorrow at Joe Aillet and so does Hops time at Southern Miss. Its short sighted to think its only one loss, how can we think of replacing Hop at 4-3. Well, its year 4 of Hops system. He will have zero wins this season against FBS teams with a winning record and only two wins against a FBS team with a winning record since 2017. No division titles or appearances and his overall record will be 29-21, 19-10 in CUSA. Take away FCS wins and his overall record is 25-21.

Jeremy wasn't brought here to keep Hop employed. He is here to take Southern Miss back to the top and he can't sell our band to the students and alumni if you are playing .500 ball overall. Do you think Jeremy is a good enough AD to be thinking three steps ahead when this season goes south and we don't win the west and play for a title? With a loss tomorrow, Hop is then only two losses away from another 5+ loss season. I doubt he beats FAU on the road and at best he splits with UAB and WKU. You can't bring Hop back and sell the fanbase on a 5th season with Hop and sell tickets and raise cash.

His buyout is a million and if you put pen to paper it will actually cost us more than his buyout to keep him here.

Firing Hop will guarantee another road money game next season to pay off Hop and earn some cash towards his replacement which I'm good with.

I would guarantee Monken gets a call from Jeremy immediately following CUSA loss #2 because Monken is only delivering the game flow updates to the headset of the 2-4 head coach of the Browns and isn't a true offensive coordinator at this point. We pay Coach Monken a 950K base with incentives to pass one million and you will sell the Southern Miss fanbase on a bright future that doesn't require pop up tables at William Carey. Monken has to miss being in control and right now he is far from it. Timing is everything so if Jeremy is ahead of it before this season is over its a strong possibility that we can secure a top coach and a top recruiting class before we play our final home game next month.

Jeremy has one job and two or more CUSA losses is alot more possible than not with Hop this season. After tomorrow, you are only one CUSA loss away from a change.

If we win tomorrow, just keep this in a holding pattern until we don't because only a west title can save Hop this season.

76757466560Monk.png

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#2 2019-10-18 10:55:16 - A loss tomorrow can be a good thing......

skyvoyager (177)

Re: A loss tomorrow can be a good thing......

I do not doubt there is another TTT loss or two this year.  As another poster has mentioned before 'it is in our DNA'.

But.... we heard this same schtick after the Alcorn game, after the State game, before troy, before the UNT game and now before the La Tech game. 

I get it.  Keep predicting a TTT moment, defense sucks, no running game, no arm-strength, bad play calling, fire Hop, hire Monken, etc. you will eventually be correct.

It would not surprise me if we lost this weekend either.  ( If I keep predicting losses, I will be correct at some point myself )

Last edited by skyvoyager (2019-10-18 12:17:18)

Everyone has the right to be stupid... It's just that some people abuse the privilege.

#3 2019-10-18 11:16:04 - A loss tomorrow can be a good thing......

AndreWhere (1252)

I think Monken moved on for good reasons, and for good.

Most likely scenario is a win tomorrow and then a Lane Kiffin coaching clinic to end things in a few weeks. 

That will get the "coaching matters" point across... but I still think you have to be closer to EJ than Jay to get fired at USM. Hop's seat is still ice cold.

But I personally have a hard time pulling for someone who takes the salary Hop takes and says the things Hop says.  I want someone who comes in and demands $1,000,000 while muttering "what a dump" at our facilities... and then makes a real,  positive difference.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#4 2019-10-18 12:48:47 - A loss tomorrow can be a good thing......

I just look at Jeremy as the CEO. The football program is the largest revenue producer and cost center within his corporation. A new CEO is hired to change a stagnant business that lacks innovation and revenue growth.

WE HAVE ALWAYS LACKED EXPERIENCE FOR WHAT LIES AHEAD.  Enter Jeremy and his experience......

The insight an experienced CEO brings to a company gives you a good idea of what works in your industry, and this knowledge keeps your business on an upward path. If we didn't want innovation or change, Jeff Mitchell would be in charge today. Not a criticism of Jeff, just a fact based on his lack of experience at our annual revenue level.

By hiring a new, proven CEO like Lamont did he wanted to make sure our company stays afloat while Jeremy is creating a business model and developing ideas to grow our business.

8-5 doesn't open the door for future innovation or change. It repeats what past CEO's created or just maintained(Dilbert). I can't see this continuing and I will give Jeremy the benefit that he has a plan today for whats going to happen tomorrow. Its just a matter of time before current managers fail to hit their sales numbers before the change is officially justified and initiated.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#5 2019-10-18 13:21:48 - A loss tomorrow can be a good thing......

Black Diamond Reb (418)

AndreWhere wrote:

Most likely scenario is a win tomorrow and then a rush for rooms on Poydras Street in December.

Imagine that.

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#6 2019-10-18 15:46:01 - A loss tomorrow can be a good thing......

skyvoyager (177)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

I just look at Jeremy as the CEO. The football program is the largest revenue producer and cost center within his corporation. A new CEO is hired to change a stagnant business that lacks innovation and revenue growth.

WE HAVE ALWAYS LACKED EXPERIENCE FOR WHAT LIES AHEAD.  Enter Jeremy and his experience......

The insight an experienced CEO brings to a company gives you a good idea of what works in your industry, and this knowledge keeps your business on an upward path. If we didn't want innovation or change, Jeff Mitchell would be in charge today. Not a criticism of Jeff, just a fact based on his lack of experience at our annual revenue level.

By hiring a new, proven CEO like Lamont did he wanted to make sure our company stays afloat while Jeremy is creating a business model and developing ideas to grow our business.

8-5 doesn't open the door for future innovation or change. It repeats what past CEO's created or just maintained(Dilbert). I can't see this continuing and I will give Jeremy the benefit that he has a plan today for whats going to happen tomorrow. Its just a matter of time before current managers fail to hit their sales numbers before the change is officially justified and initiated.

I am not saying it cannot get better but it is really way too late.  Probably the last chance we had was ~2011 realignment.
Missed that boat ( again ) but since then, it has been a perfect storm.....

E12loss comes in a kills the program.

The P5 vs G5 revenue delta is out of control.... $25 million per year tv for a P5 vs. $200,000 for cusa.  We can complain about being poor all we want to but that difference is ridiculous.

The landscape of college football is changing.  Attendance is down everywhere....State played in front of 25,000 in the superdome this year... Alabama is complaining about student lack of attendance.... ECU with their great new AD and in the mighty AAC is struggling with attendance.... the list goes on... millennials apparently don't tailgate, go to games, or stay for the whole game if they go.

Could our attendance be better?  sure we need more that 25,000 at homecoming but again, our schedule/conference is Florida international airport, san antonio road runners, western ky jelly.... instead of loserville, memphis, ecu, tulane.... That's right, I would rather drive 90 miles to see southern miss play tulane and spend the night in new orleans, then watch the saints on sunday than drive 3 hours to watch southern miss play uab in birmigham.

Firing Hopson and hiring anyone for 1 million will not fix this....  The AD being a CEO with a vision that none of his predecessors had will not fix this either.....the train has left the station.

Everyone has the right to be stupid... It's just that some people abuse the privilege.

Liked by:

#7 2019-10-18 16:12:32 - A loss tomorrow can be a good thing......

The train has left the station I guess.....maybe Poydras is all we have going forward......if it can’t be salvaged then what’s the point of it all......

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Liked by:

#8 2019-10-18 16:42:52 - A loss tomorrow can be a good thing......

skyvoyager (177)

The train has left the station I guess.....maybe Poydras is all we have going forward......if it can’t be salvaged then what’s the point of it all......

Nothing like a good cheers reference

#mutepointe

Last edited by skyvoyager (2019-10-18 16:46:56)

#9 2019-10-19 02:16:45 - A loss tomorrow can be a good thing......

stinkfist (764)

skyvoyager wrote:

Nothing like a good cheers reference

#mutepointe

Mfw+spoilers+to+anything+i+love+dont+you+dare+say_366e98_5133999.gif

95368035975122i7o8%5B1%5D.jpg493758851198d75b9e7118c23f42f2ad02c1efee979.gif

Liked by:

#10 2019-10-19 08:20:10 - A loss tomorrow can be a good thing......

For the record I want Hop and USM to be successful and want them to dominate today. Hop isn’t a head ball coach at the non SWAC level. He would be a legit D coordinator at a lower P5 program and actually make a lot more money. Nothing wrong with that. Everyone on here knows that moment is coming.....that moment where we are all out of timeouts and it’s not even halftime, when we are down by 10 at UTSA, where we all immediately fall into that anti Hop sentiment. It’s coming....could be today, might be next week at Rice, but make no mistake......

It’s coming.......and every single one of you know it.....

JitterySelfishEstuarinecrocodile-max-1mb.gif

Liked by:

#11 2019-10-19 09:07:21 - A loss tomorrow can be a good thing......

B&GBU (259)

Jack got better, so will Hop.

"Did you ever consider that the next level would be a lower one?"

#12 2019-10-19 16:52:32 - A loss tomorrow can be a good thing......

Bump......

Board footer