CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-21 12:22:05 - This week should just about do it........

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

This week should just about do it........

While the La Tech game has removed any self control over our west division title hopes you can officially earn your 2019 death certificate in just a few days against Rice. Yes, they are Rice..... still terrible...but.....

Total Defense Rank: 72 (USM is behind them at 73)

Total Offense Rank: 123 (USM is 38)

Turnover Margin Rank: Rice 118 (USM 119)

Rice has essentially played three top 25 teams including undefeated Baylor who they lost to 21-13. They lost to UAB in Birmingham 35-20 two weeks ago, going scoreless in the second half against the Blazers after trailing 21-20 at half. They blew a 4th quarter lead on Saturday with 5 minutes to go at UTSA. Who knows if they are better than last season. They took La Tech to OT but it could have been the Bulldogs overlooking the Owls, right?

Just a little history lesson when Southern Miss plays winless Rice....In October of 2007 0-4 Rice went into Hattiesburg and won 31-29 in David Baliffs first season with the Owls and what would be Bowers final season in Hattiesburg. Most people point to this game as the final straw under JB. Up to that game, Rice had been outscored 69-175 on the season including a loss to Nichols St. to start the season.....

Who was our defensive coordinator on that 2007 team?

maxresdefault.jpg

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#2 2019-10-21 12:31:22 - This week should just about do it........

Re: This week should just about do it........

From 2007

"It was the first win at Rice for new coach David Bailiff and the seventh straight conference win for the Owls, who won six consecutive league games to finish the regular season last year.

Southern Miss, the preseason favorite to win the conference, had its second straight lackluster performance in a televised midweek game after losing 38-16 last week at Boise State.

Both teams entered their first meeting with significant injuries. Rice was missing five starters, including both defensive ends. Southern Miss was down to its third-string quarterback, Martevious Young, after regular starter Jeremy Young, no relation, sprained his ankle last week against Boise State.

Martevious Young broke his ankle on the third play of the game and Reaves, who was not expected to play after straining an oblique muscle in his abdomen over the weekend, played the rest of the game.

Reaves finished with a record-tying four interceptions and two fumbles. Damion Fletcher led Southern Miss with 142 yards rushing and two touchdowns, but his third-quarter fumble set up Rice's last touchdown."

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#3 2019-10-21 12:47:58 - This week should just about do it........

skyvoyager (177)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

From 2007

"It was the first win at Rice for new coach David Bailiff and the seventh straight conference win for the Owls, who won six consecutive league games to finish the regular season last year.

Southern Miss, the preseason favorite to win the conference, had its second straight lackluster performance in a televised midweek game after losing 38-16 last week at Boise State.

Both teams entered their first meeting with significant injuries. Rice was missing five starters, including both defensive ends. Southern Miss was down to its third-string quarterback, Martevious Young, after regular starter Jeremy Young, no relation, sprained his ankle last week against Boise State.

Martevious Young broke his ankle on the third play of the game and Reaves, who was not expected to play after straining an oblique muscle in his abdomen over the weekend, played the rest of the game.

Reaves finished with a record-tying four interceptions and two fumbles. Damion Fletcher led Southern Miss with 142 yards rushing and two touchdowns, but his third-quarter fumble set up Rice's last touchdown."

Unfortunately, I remember that Rice game.  Seems like Reaves threw a TD early, then tanked to the top TTTT.

I also never grew tired of hearing jaun saying 'marvelous martevious'

Last edited by skyvoyager (2019-10-21 12:50:51)

Everyone has the right to be stupid... It's just that some people abuse the privilege.

#4 2019-10-21 13:06:18 - This week should just about do it........

I remember that Boise game from the week prior on ESPN

It was like 28-0 before you blinked

#5 2019-10-21 13:09:07 - This week should just about do it........

AndreWhere (1252)

Hopson will win this one. After that, it's on to muh bowl bid and another "succesful" season.

It's all pretty nauseating for anyone who halfway gives a shit.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#6 2019-10-21 15:44:23 - This week should just about do it........

skyvoyager (177)

I remember that Boise game from the week prior on ESPN

It was like 28-0 before you blinked

Remember the important thing about that season was not losing to boise, rice, memphis, ucf and cincinnati but beating uab....

Everyone has the right to be stupid... It's just that some people abuse the privilege.

#7 2019-10-21 16:19:13 - This week should just about do it........

AndreWhere (1252)

I remember watching the Rice game on TV, being completely 100% done with Bower, and having to listen to my brother's typical casual observer "Bower === USM" comments the whole time.

The other game I remember was Arkansas State at home, where USM played for bowel eligibility. The crowd was small and was downright hostile at times.

Liked by:

#8 2019-10-21 18:28:22 - This week should just about do it........

AndreWhere wrote:

I remember watching the Rice game on TV, being completely 100% done with Bower, and having to listen to my brother's typical casual observer "Bower === USM" comments the whole time.

The other game I remember was Arkansas State at home, where USM played for bowel eligibility. The crowd was small and was downright hostile at times.

Does he still have a lot of fight left in him? Maybe he can share some of it with Hop.....

#9 2019-10-21 18:40:21 - This week should just about do it........

AndreWhere (1252)

AndreWhere wrote:

Does he still have a lot of fight left in him? Maybe he can share some of it with Hop.....

Pretty sure anyone who was at that Arkansas State game already bought an Alabama shirt years ago.

#10 2019-10-21 19:08:31 - This week should just about do it........

skyvoyager (177)

AndreWhere wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

Pretty sure anyone who was at that Arkansas State game already bought an Alabama shirt years ago.

the ones i know that were at that game don't have alabama shirts but they have not bought season tickets since 2012

#11 2019-10-21 20:09:44 - This week should just about do it........

southerner92 (30)

I’ve always said that Arkansas State game was the worst and
/ or least entertaining game I’ve ever been to at USM and I’ve been to every home game but 1 since 1989. The UTEP game in 2017 is a close 2nd.

#12 2019-10-21 21:03:59 - This week should just about do it........

skyvoyager (177)

southerner92 wrote:

I’ve always said that Arkansas State game was the worst and
/ or least entertaining game I’ve ever been to at USM and I’ve been to every home game but 1 since 1989. The UTEP game in 2017 is a close 2nd.

cincinnati 52 - No. 21 southern miss 24 at southern miss 2004 was the killer for me

#13 2019-10-22 06:33:12 - This week should just about do it........

Mao Tse-gore (412)

I think we drop this one.

RB's are out, defense sucks, Anderson and Perkins are slow, Maberry runs well, sideways. Jack's back to throwing games away.

We are wounded and confused.

Should be easy meat for a Rice team that is due to win one.

We still suck bigtime.
There's a big difference between optimism and an altered state of reality.
Not another dime, not another mile, not another minute.
MSFlag.gif

#14 2019-10-22 06:47:59 - This week should just about do it........

AndreWhere (1252)

Oh Lord, oh Lord please don't throw us into that briar patch... if we loses to Rice I's fo sho we ain't gwine to no bowl game and dem chirren's gon' spent another Christmas a-squallin', Ah says.

Oh, I just a-prays the hand o' the Lort reach down and beat dem Riceses.

Liked by:

#15 2019-10-22 08:06:06 - This week should just about do it........

Lose to Rice and pull a Houston Cougar......

As soon as the Coogs lost to Tulame, they red shirted their star QB and wide receiver so they could still have a year left to play. Since Houston is still getting new recruits under a new coach that will eventually have a high powered offense he is stacking his team for 2020. Honestly, we lose to Rice we need to get Quez focused on academics and have possibly a top 20 WR group coming back in 2020 not to mention that Jack will have another year of experience under his belt. Hire a new offensive minded coach with these weapons and they can actually do what Hop should have done with what he was given by Monken in year 1.

gM3kKBO.gif

Board footer