CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#21 2019-12-04 16:14:13 - coaches fired tracker

skyvoyager (177)

Re: coaches fired tracker

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

Colorado St coach Mike Bobo, who we beat when he was the QB at UGA.........terminated.
Per his contract he was due $5.5 million.......but the school negotiated it down to $1.8 million.....which begs the question......why in the hell do you even entertain the request from a past employer to lower what they contractually owe you? Dumb........

UTSA is entertaining the hiring of Houston Nutt........almost equally as dumb

Fedora to ole miss rumors now....

Everyone has the right to be stupid... It's just that some people abuse the privilege.

#22 2019-12-04 16:22:25 - coaches fired tracker

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

Might as well make this the coaches and transfer portal tracker......

Down two QB's now in the portal. Rogers from Texas and the Cuban Cannon has fired his last shots in Hattiesburg(it was intercepted)

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#23 2019-12-05 07:53:27 - coaches fired tracker

Lane to Arkansas is gaining momentum and FAU is going "all in" with a counter offer to keep him. Hugh Freeze to Memphis also happening with Liberty prepared to make him one of the highest paid in the G5. Norvell to FSU to be announced this weekend.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#24 2019-12-05 07:56:48 - coaches fired tracker

AndreWhere (1252)

These G5 schools that don't roll over when some other school comes after their coach are the schools that will soon have USM in their rear view mirrors, permanently.

UNC stole Fedora (ACC basketball school) but now a school in USM's "conference" is at least trying to stand up to Arkansas. Embarrassing.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#25 2019-12-05 08:13:09 - coaches fired tracker

AndreWhere wrote:

These G5 schools that don't roll over when some other school comes after their coach are the schools that will soon have USM in their rear view mirrors, permanently.

UNC stole Fedora (ACC basketball school) but now a school in USM's "conference" is at least trying to stand up to Arkansas. Embarrassing.

Three schools that are about to put in a serious commitment with cash"

UTSA
Liberty
ODU

UTSA has serious cash (they were paying Frank Wilson $1million+) and they want to invest in the program. Liberty is about to start moving into a conference and probably has multiple offers already on the table between Sun Belt and CUSA. ODU will spend to get a name as well.

This is why we can't afford to sit back and let Hop take this down another level in 2020. We have to grab someone from the FCS because our budget doesn't afford us a top coordinator or a retread. Bohannon from KSU is making exactly what Hop is making. Give him $800K and his current staff another $150K per and sign him up. Dude has the resume, fire and arrogance we need to compete at a fraction of the cost of what everyone else is paying.

Last edited by Nugget's Ghostbuster (2019-12-05 08:14:00)

#26 2019-12-05 08:49:09 - coaches fired tracker

Mao Tse-gore (412)

Read that Napier makes $875k at 10-2 ULaLa in the SunBelt.

We still suck bigtime.
There's a big difference between optimism and an altered state of reality.
Not another dime, not another mile, not another minute.
MSFlag.gif

#27 2019-12-05 08:54:44 - coaches fired tracker

McClain's marketing campaign to only fill 80% of the stadium per game would have generated approximately $3 million in gate for the 2019 season. We averaged under 25K per game this year with the last home game with the conference west title on the line only earned 20K in gate. His marketing campaign for 2019 to fill only 80% of the stadium was off by half a million dollars in gate......or Hops 2019 base salary.

He was off by half a million while hoping to fill just 80% of the stadium.........

He added alcohol sales and still missed his gate by half a million........

In reality Dilberts last year with essentially no marketing effort or gimmick campaign yielded comparable average gate results without the benefit of alcohol sales.

#28 2019-12-05 09:09:11 - coaches fired tracker

Mao Tse-gore (412)

It's the schedule.

We still suck bigtime.
There's a big difference between optimism and an altered state of reality.
Not another dime, not another mile, not another minute.
MSFlag.gif

#29 2019-12-05 09:51:15 - coaches fired tracker

AndreWhere (1252)

Mao Tse-gore wrote:

It's the schedule.

Having seen that stadium filled to the brim for ECU, I'm not so sure. Did all those people really care about ECU vs. Nowhere Tech? Maybe not.

I think it's the coach. It is also the schedule, in its absence of wins or even winnable games (home or away) vs. P6 teams.

#30 2019-12-05 10:06:04 - coaches fired tracker

We had 30K for ODU and 29K for UTSA in 2015. 29.5K for Savannah St and 28K for Rice in 2016.

Its not the schedule........

#31 2019-12-05 10:45:14 - coaches fired tracker

EagleFWB (176)

There is absolutely zero excitement for what is happening out there on the field right now. It's completely apathetic. That is a huge chunk of the problem. I will vary from NG a little here, because I do think schedule is a part of it... in the sense that nobody gives a shit about who we are playing. I truthfully would have to really think hard to name all of the current cusa teams and we have no rivals in it. I refuse to buy into the LaTech rivalry crap, but that's another topic.

However, I don't think he will be fired this year. It would have already happened. Now, we can hope that he possibly goes somewhere else as an assistant. I do agree that they will be forced to pull the plug if attendance is this bad again next year.

#32 2019-12-05 10:55:53 - coaches fired tracker

Tanya (155)

22k for the first ever non Mississippi SEC school to ever visit Hattiesburg if I remember correctly. It’s not just the schedule. While that’s part of it the bigger problem is that this coaching staff has lost the intangible connections with the fan base that are required for college sports. I don’t know of a single person that trusts or has confidence in Hopson and crew. The best argument from his most extreme supporters is “Well we’re not paying him that much, so what do you expect?” People want to believe in and be emotionally invested in their college teams. When the belief and emotional investment disappears so do the fans.

#33 2019-12-05 11:36:47 - coaches fired tracker

B&GBU (259)

Will a position coach or 2 be replaced?
A cute hashtag slogan and a $6 beer ain't gonna entice the masses.

"Did you ever consider that the next level would be a lower one?"

#34 2019-12-05 12:13:40 - coaches fired tracker

AndreWhere (1252)

B&GBU wrote:

Will a position coach or 2 be replaced?
A cute hashtag slogan and a $6 beer ain't gonna entice the masses.

Need a single, good OC. Faulkner ain't gettin it, so far as I can tell.

#35 2019-12-05 12:54:52 - coaches fired tracker

skyvoyager (177)

Blake Anderson strong candidate at Missouri.

I wonder if Mizzou will interview E12loss.  He can show them his rules....

My favorite E12loss rule, "no walkmans in the locker room"

Everyone has the right to be stupid... It's just that some people abuse the privilege.

#36 2019-12-05 13:09:05 - coaches fired tracker

Im not excluding visiting opponents as a factor that impacts attendance but it doesn't create 40% of the empty seats. When I went to USM I didn't care who we were playing because I just wanted to see USM play. I've seen us play Northern Illinois, Samford, Utah St, etc....and never thought about not going because of who the other team was......

Jeremy scheduled JSU for two reasons......1) 6 home games and 2) 30K in the stands with a high contribution from the JSU supporters. He now has 5 more games to sell including a dud with USA. Its the opener and the only way you generate demand for the opener and conference play next season is if you have a new product that hasn't been seen yet. Jack won't be the qb and Hop won't be the coach.

Its impossible to have this much smoke right now with radio shows, podcasts, player portal transfers, players quitting, poor attendance, social media, etc... talking about how bad this team is without having at the least a small fire going on internally. Changing coordinators has been done and it isn't the solution.

I still have a feeling Hop is going to exit on his own before this season is officially closed. The dominos for coaches hasn't started yet. You will have openings at UTSA, ODU, FAU, UAB and possibly LA Tech to fill once AAC spots open up at UCONN, Memphis, USF, Cinci and Tulane. Not to mention ULL and potentially Arky St(Anderson now linked to Mizzu). Thats 12 schools looking for the next diamond in the rough.

tg300 said it on another board that Jeremy has to have a list 10 deep at all times for our next coach. Zero chance he isn't getting ahead of this right now. He literally just went thru this last year and I guarantee he is using that experience to better prepare this time around.

Last edited by Nugget's Ghostbuster (2019-12-05 13:10:18)

#37 2019-12-05 13:17:46 - coaches fired tracker

I will also bet you will not see USM v App St in New Orleans. Hop should have been 6-6 last season and the school avoided the makeup game for a reason......... He will get his doors blown off by App St and finish 7-6 this season, 6-6 against FBS opponents.

#38 2019-12-05 20:15:03 - coaches fired tracker

SoMs Eagle (189)

I don’t go so I can give an answer. It’s the football being played. Not the schedule. I’d go to every home game if we were playing some good entertaining football. If we were beating the ever living crap out of the teams we should be beating. The frustration of sloppy play and boring football with no running game and time outs when on defense with a third and nine gets pretty old. Especially if you’re paying for it. The leadership at USM need to understand we (I) don’t owe them anything. Give me something for my entertainment dollar or I’ll take it elsewhere.

Liked by:

#39 2019-12-05 21:00:25 - coaches fired tracker

EagleFWB (176)

Yep... I hate to admit it on here, but I quit buying season tickets a few years ago. Just too much money to spend & traveling to watch that crap. If folks in MS won't go, why should I?

My oldest daughter is a freshman at FSU and in the Marching Chiefs. I went to four games there this year... I've been to one USM game the last two seasons. I never ever thought I'd say something like that. My heart and money are in Tallahassee right now.

I still bleed black & gold, but it's damn hard to be a fan.

#40 2019-12-05 22:41:36 - coaches fired tracker

Add Fresno St to the list......

and probably the Dallas Cowboys......

Board footer